Author Topic: Living in Ireland help!  (Read 3699 times)

Miss Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Living in Ireland help!
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Random request. I am supposed to be doing an internship for a month at the end of May in Waterford, Ireland.. except i have nowhere to live! The company was supposed to help find me one but i'm paying for it myself and they have been absolutely no help. Would love a Mustachian's thoughts on the best way to go about it!

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Living in Ireland help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
Hi Miss Serendip!

Where will you be travelling from?  I assume you are not in Ireland already anyway!  I live in Ireland & will try to help you - just let me know what questions you have.

The most popular website for finding rental accommodation in Ireland is:
http://www.daft.ie/

In general if you wanted an apartment to yourself you would have to sign a long term lease - obviously this is not what you want.  However, it should be easy enough to get someone who is letting out a room in their house to agree to you staying for a shorter term if you agree to pay more than the usual rate that people who would be staying longer would pay (Choose "Sharing" on the website to find people renting out rooms in their houses.).  The usual situation is that you would be expected to pay one month rent in advance and one month rent as deposit.  I'd say it should not be too difficult to find somewhere.  Where will you be working?

By the way if you will be passing through Dublin let me know and I can finally have my first pint with a fellow Mustachian!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:42:50 PM by ausername »

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:50:23 PM »
I checked out where Internation Living is and it seems to be in Waterford city (which is not very big at all, but we still call it a city because it has a cathedral!).  The location seems good.  I'd recommend that you find a few places that you like the look of/location of nearer the time and email them and ask if they would be interested in taking someone in for one month.  You would probably need to pay more than the going monthly rate, just because of the hassle of someone moving in and out so quickly.  It would be best to leave it 'til early may before contacting people.    There is a third level "instiutute of technology" in Waterford and most of the students will probably have left for the summer by the time you arrive, so that should mean that there is plenty of accommodation available in the city.

Best of luck with the search and let me know if there is any other info you need!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
Take an umbrella! Or two!

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
If only the rain didn't always seem to "fall" horizontally due to wind!  I gave up on umbrellas a long time ago!

Miss Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »
Awesome!

Yes, I've been having some luck with several sharing sites so I should be good to go in a few weeks. Appreciate all the help for sure! I thought about umbrellas too but came up with the same conclusion - good to know, will save packing room for sure. I'll be in Dublin the weekend of May 23rd - email me know if you're around and we can grab that pint.

Thanks again!