Author Topic: living in a shed  (Read 6171 times)

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
living in a shed
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:20 AM »
So currently i live with my parents, quietly saving away. But id like to be a bit more separated from them (as well as have a a bit of peace and quiet from the rest of the family) but without paying half my income away to rent a flat So im thinking of converting the shed in the back garden to living quarters. I't's bigger than my bedroom so thats a plus. Id still share bathroom and kitchen with the main house as they are unlikely to be happy with me building a compost toilet.

Im hoping any smarty pants builder blokes can give me some guidelines when it comes to insulating and maybe also damproofing?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: living in a shed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:44:26 AM »
Put a vapor barrier along the walls and ceiling to create a vapor barrier, and then insulate over this. Should be relatively warm and dry.

Is there power run to it? Might be a bit Spartan without lights or a heater. Also sealing the door may be problematic, depending on the age and design of the shed.  No reason it can't be made comfortable though, with a bit of work.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
Put a vapor barrier along the walls and ceiling to create a vapor barrier, and then insulate over this. Should be relatively warm and dry.

Is there power run to it? Might be a bit Spartan without lights or a heater. Also sealing the door may be problematic, depending on the age and design of the shed.  No reason it can't be made comfortable though, with a bit of work.

for power im thinking of just running an extension cable from the house to the shed. lights would be lamps. Ideally i want to insulate it well enough so i don't require heating. In my bedroom i have no heating on during the winter (had radiator  taken out and never put it back in)Though i know it will be a lot colder in the shed as i get residual heat from the rest of the house

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »

for power im thinking of just running an extension cable from the house to the shed. lights would be lamps. Ideally i want to insulate it well enough so i don't require heating. In my bedroom i have no heating on during the winter (had radiator  taken out and never put it back in)Though i know it will be a lot colder in the shed as i get residual heat from the rest of the house

Maybe list the interior dimensions? That will affect the amount of insulation you will be able to attach. And make sure the extension cord is a heavy-duty outdoor rated cord, if it's going to be left on the lawn year round.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:37:35 AM »

for power im thinking of just running an extension cable from the house to the shed. lights would be lamps....

And make sure the extension cord is a heavy-duty outdoor rated cord, if it's going to be left on the lawn year round.

Put a male plug on one end and run 10/2 UF  cable, buried in a 12 inch deep trench,  terminating in an outlet box inside the shed.

Leave room inside for kittys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I72sWzXCvvw

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
You might be able to install a Saniflo toilet and connect it with the house plumbing. Go to the website.   Also with a convection microwave and a single burner cooktop - you could really have your own kitchen. And there are small space heaters that can heat a well insulated space pretty easily.  I don't think your plan is undoable - if you are willing to do some work.  You probably won't be able to get a permit - but does that really matter?  You could run a pipe for water/sewer alongside a pipe for electrical.  You could have an electrician install your own circuit into your parent's panel so you don't trip them up. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
I'll just add: Check to see if your local municipality will allow habitation in this shed.
Running afoul of local laws gets expensive!
I'm all for your idea, though.  Lived in a converted shed myself as a student in college, and it was quite luxurious by college-standards.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »
As I've already said - it won't be allowed legally.  But unless your neighbors are going to turn you in - if they even know - you should be able to fly under the radar as long as you don't do anything outrageous.  If you try to get permission and are told no - you will be on the radar and won't be able to do it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
I lived in a shed with my wife, 2 dogs and 3 cats for about 5 years... but it sounds like we had more room/comfort that what this is entailing.  Ours was a work shop.  It has power and plumbing and even drywall.

We were able to heat the entire thing (2 rooms, 20x30 total) with 2 small ceramic space heaters.  We air conditioned it with 2 very cheap window units (which were hugely inefficient and a power suck). 

We had 4" fiberglass bat insulation behind the drywall.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Do you plan to make this your permanent habitation? If not is it worth the costs? And if you still have to share kitchen and bath is it really different from staying in your room?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 07:46:09 AM »
As I've already said - it won't be allowed legally.  But unless your neighbors are going to turn you in - if they even know - you should be able to fly under the radar as long as you don't do anything outrageous.  If you try to get permission and are told no - you will be on the radar and won't be able to do it.

No idea why you are concluding it won't be allowed legally; different municipalities have diffferent codes.  As said I lived in a converted, permitted shed in college.
I would worry about permanent habitation in a non-permitted structure and hoping that you can just 'fly under the radar'. It's amazing to me how catty neighbors can be about who is 'following the rules' and there's little recourse from a single anonymous phone call to the local zoning board.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »

No idea why you are concluding it won't be allowed legally; different municipalities have diffferent codes.  As said I lived in a converted, permitted shed in college.
I would worry about permanent habitation in a non-permitted structure and hoping that you can just 'fly under the radar'. It's amazing to me how catty neighbors can be about who is 'following the rules' and there's little recourse from a single anonymous phone call to the local zoning board.

I think in most cases "not having running water" and "no electricity" are deal breakers when it comes to building code.  (Silly, since you can camp in a tent, but not in a building with 4 walls and a roof.)  Did your college shed have plumbing/electricity?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »

I think in most cases "not having running water" and "no electricity" are deal breakers when it comes to building code.  (Silly, since you can camp in a tent, but not in a building with 4 walls and a roof.)  Did your college shed have plumbing/electricity?
It did - my landlord pulled a permit and installed a toilet and sink.  As I said it was really nicely done, and for just a few hundred$ in parts and a week's labor. Depending on kind and location of the shed, the local muni code and one's DIY abilities this may or may not be possible.
I did, however, know others who get tossed out of their non-permitted dwellings.  In at least one case the city forced the landlord to tear down the structure entirely (no option to go back to using it as 'just a shed').

Agree it's silly given the tent analogy... but trying to skirt local laws can cause financial pain and offers little recourse.

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »
Make sure you have a co and smoke detector out there

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »
Depending on the size of the shed and your power source you could also do a hot plate, microwave, and small fridge to take care of many of your cooking needs.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Yeah, no way I would go through the time and expense to run water, if it were me. I'd throw down a mattress, insulate the walls and hang a light or two. Be cozy and private for cheap in no time.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »
This is probably overkill, but Syonyk totally built a sweet shed:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/i-built-a-solar-powered-off-grid-office-from-a-tuff-shed/

Yup!

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/07/solar-shed-summary-my-off-grid-office.html

Has more detail, and links to plenty of more detail posts. I'm happy to try and answer questions.

If you can run grid power, electric heat is the way to go.