Author Topic: Live alone for $800 or with 1 roommate/friend for $600 a month?  (Read 2195 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
I'm getting a new job, and found a nice basement apartment for $800 (utilities included).  New construction.  6 minutes away from my new job (1.8 miles).

https://www.rentler.com/places-for-rent/ut/salt-lake-city/3377-e-antler-way/2042184

My friend is moving into the city, but works towards the airport (24 minutes from my work).I bet we would get an apartment in the middle, making each of our commutes to 15 minutes each.

So, would you live solo for $800 with a 5 minute commute, or live with a friend for $600 with a 15 minute commute?

I understand everyone is different.. I would love some suggestions.  We are both 28 and single.

edit: I could probably get a cheaper 2 bed apartment and make it $500 each... I think that $800 I'm looking at is a pretty good deal, especially since it's new construction (maybe could wait and score a $700-$750 a month one a little further away.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:53:18 PM by teltic »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
Re: Live alone for $800 or with 1 roommate/friend for $600 a month?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
I pay $600/month to share a 2 bedroom with 3 other people. (Two couples in a dual master.) I would jump on that roommate opportunity, especially if it's someone you get along with and can reasonably expect to live well together with. (The two are not equivalent!) Considering that rent is a relatively fixed expense, paying as little for it as possible gives you maximum flexibility in other respects.

On the other hand, if you can walk or bike to your job from the closer apartment, but the further one would require a vehicle, that might tilt the scales the other way. You only mentioned the driving time, not the distance.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »
Everyone is different, and I could not have a roomate for any amount of $$$ saved.  Not to mention being that close to work, I'd stick with 5 min over 15 any day.  That looks like a damn nice place for $800/mo esp for the location, which does get pretty snowy making your commute longer in the winter.

I lived in Provo from 1992-95, and I would have killed for that for that price.  Only place I could find was a stand alone 2BR/1BA home on a busy, noisy corner street, apt complex to the rear, no updates in 40 years, no A/C (swamp cooler), no washer and dryer, had to water the lawn at my own cost and cut the grass, shovel a huge amount of sidewalk, with all utilities paid by me...  $600/mo at first, $750/mo when I left...  That was a HELL OF A LOT of $$$ back then, especially considering what our incomes were.

Simply an older mans opinion divorced for 6 years, and never ever going to have a man or a women living under my roof.  I'm way to introverted, way to in need of my own space, my high level of neatness and order, and doing what I want, when I want without interruption.  Good luck, and I wish you the best.   

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
So you already got this place or no? If you haven't gotten it yet apply for both. One or the other might fall through.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »
I would go cheaper, although the transit is a factor. Can you walk/bike/bus with either option?

I enjoy living with roommates and prefer it to living alone, and I'm cheap, so this answer was a no brainer for me.

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
Utilities included in the $800 one?!?! AMAZING. Does that include everything? Water, sewer, trash, elec, gas? And how common is that to find in your area? I'm guessing since it's a basement unit, they don't have it separately metered. If you move in with your friend, how much will utilities add to your monthly cost? (assuming you and friend won't be able to share a similar utilities-included basement unit). Any chance the upstairs owners will also let you use their internet? Seems like an easy decision to me.... but I hate roommates (significant others are cool).

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »

Human beings are social animals. 

I only lived alone one year of my life (and a couple summer excursions).

I've never liked it.

If I didn't have a family, then money aside I'd probably get a (clean, nice) roommate just to have someone to chit chat with on occasion.  But I would be pretty picky about who I lived with and I'd want my own space (would not want to share a bedroom).

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
I'm going to check out the basement apartment tomorrow.  It was just listed today.  It includes all utilities... Internet too.

I love having my own space (currently renting 1 bed condo for $575, gas/water/trash included.  With the new job, it'll make my commute 30-35 minutes, which is why I'm looking to move.

My friend wouldn't be moving down here until June 13... So that would mean I'd have to commute for a couple months while I wait (It's not too far away though).

I do love having the kitchen to myself, being able to make as much or little of a mess as I please....  But saving an extra $300 x 12 = $3600 a year is a big deal.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
I love having my own space (currently renting 1 bed condo for $575, gas/water/trash included.  With the new job, it'll make my commute 30-35 minutes, which is why I'm looking to move.

Geez-O-Man...  $575/mo with all of that included???  Even in my little decrepit town, that would get you exactly a run down efficiency in a sectioned off old ass drafty clapboard home, in a rough part of town.  Can you please tell me in what city/area you can get what you mention so inexpensively? Thank you.

Human beings are social animals.  I only lived alone one year of my life (and a couple summer excursions).  I've never liked it.

Plenty of socializing when folks come over to visit and leave/leave in the morning, go to plays and concerts with friends, volunteer, exercise daily around a ton of people, chat with the city bus driver and riders, etc, etc...  I have all the socializing I can handle in ER, but having my own place after 24 years of marriage took some adjustment, but I'd never have another person share my living space ever. 

I had plenty of university roommates, and after graduation, plenty of very tight shared space living with my soldiers in conditions that prisoners would revolt over.  Ever sleep next to your gunner in a cramped M2A2 Bradley turret with temps around zero for weeks at a time, w/o heat?  Better than when we didn't take showers for nearly that long, but everyone smells like a goat by then, so no biggie.  Believe me, I get living in a shared space.

Helps too that I can also technically afford it, unlike other people who I feel sorry for that want to live alone, but cant.  God I love living by myself.     

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:55 PM »
My friend wouldn't be moving down here until June 13... So that would mean I'd have to commute for a couple months while I wait (It's not too far away though).
That's 3 months from now. Anything could happen. If you and your friend were looking at places together I can understand getting a place together. But waiting around for 3 months? Then what if it doesn't work out and you have to move before 12 months? I'm weirdly attached to this thread because I once had a tenant for a few months while he waited for his friend to arrive so that they could move in together. The friend never arrived and he had to get an apt by himself anyway.
And it also sounds like you have the other place for 600 already? And you have to pay full price while you wait? Bro...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
You'll meet more people with a roommate than living on your own.

That extra person you meet might become your new best friend and mate.

Learning to live with other people is a good skill.

Plus you'll save money you can put to good use towards FI.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »
You'll meet more people with a roommate than living on your own.

That extra person you meet might become your new best friend and mate.

Learning to live with other people is a good skill.

Plus you'll save money you can put to good use towards FI.

GREAT INPUT.  Ahh meeting more people.... I like it.  I could just lock myself in my room if I need alone time. hm...

And it also sounds like you have the other place for 600 already? And you have to pay full price while you wait? Bro...

Bro...

I haven't signed anything.  The $600 was an estimate when looking around online. (shit 2 bed goes for $950; decent 2 bed apartment goes for $1100ish... Then add utilities..).

The 3 months waiting is inconvenient, for sure.  I would just continue to rent at my current place and deal with the 30 minute commute times for now.

Geez-O-Man...  $575/mo with all of that included???  Even in my little decrepit town, that would get you exactly a run down efficiency in a sectioned off old ass drafty clapboard home, in a rough part of town.  Can you please tell me in what city/area you can get what you mention so inexpensively? Thank you.

Bountiful, Utah.  I did find a great deal (neighbor owns the condo, he doesn't list it online... Scored a great deal). So it is kind of hard to think of losing this deal, to move closer to work... hmmm.

I'm expecting $80-$90k offer sometime today, so I can afford living on my own too.  Ahhh.  MMM would face punch me to lower my fixed expense... I do enjoy living on my own though...

Utilities included in the $800 one?!?! AMAZING. Does that include everything? Water, sewer, trash, elec, gas?

Everything included!  I'm going to check it out today.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:21:38 AM by teltic »

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
UPDATE: Friend has already found a place to live with someone else (I did tell him I have a good chance of leaving out of state, so I can't be too mad over it).

So now the question is; live with strangers for $500-$600, or by myself for $800?  I'm thinking $800 just makes sense...

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Whether or not it makes sense you haven't gotten the place. Come back when you have been approved for the 800 place and have been approved for a shared rental to decide between the two.