Author Topic: Lifetime Hunting/Fishing Licenses?  (Read 7990 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Lifetime Hunting/Fishing Licenses?
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »
Anyone have their lifetime hunting or fishing license?

I bought my lifetime fishing license around 5 years ago because I already fished several times a year, but held off on my hunting license because I didn't really have a place to hunt.  A couple years ago, a friend finally allowed me to come deer hunting on his property which has yielded 150+ lbs of meat for the freezer.  So this year, rather than just getting the one year license for $35, I decided to go for a lifetime license for $250. Figured it was worth it in the long run.  Justified it to myself with a simple math 7 year payback, but got to thinking today that it is probably a bit longer than that due to the foregone investment earnings on the $250.  So I used a present value calculator in Excel to calculate my break-even assuming a 8% return on my money and no increases on the price of the license and got closer to 11 years, still not too bad, but quite a bit different than the 7 year result.

I'm hoping I'll get to spend a lot more time hunting and fishing once I'm FIRE so it should be a good investment and it'll be nice not having to shell out for a license when I am on a "fixed" income.

Blackpowder season opened on Sat. I took out my grandfather's muzzleloader, saw 5, but couldn't get a shot. Headed back out tomorrow, wish me luck!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Lifetime Hunting/Fishing Licenses?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Hunting isn't my thing, but that lifetime license sounds like a good deal if it's an activity you expect to stick with (and increase) during retirement.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
I would say it is a good deal just because you dont have to go through he hassle of getting a new license every season. License fees may also go up in future years. The only problem I could see is if they need more money they may add requirements such as a special endorsement or something that you would have to pay for. But either way, the money goes to a good cause. Hunting and fishing licenses and taxes on ammo pay for the majority of states conservation efforts.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
The biggest hassle about getting my fishing license each year when I go ice fishing with some old friends is the act of getting the license. It wastes precious time that I'd rather spend fishing/drinking beer.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:57:21 AM »
The biggest hassle about getting my fishing license each year when I go ice fishing with some old friends is the act of getting the license. It wastes precious time that I'd rather spend fishing/drinking beer.

Our state started offering online licenses a few years back for no additional fee.  Sure makes things easier!

atlbrew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
I have a lifetime hunting & fishing license in Alabama.  Bought when it was available to me, after my 18th birthday.  Cost was $250 and I am glad I got it when I did as I am no longer a resident of that state and would not have the option to get one now.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »

Our state started offering online licenses a few years back for no additional fee.  Sure makes things easier!

Good god I need to look into that.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
I haven't seen a lifetime license in my state, but the one permit I buy annually is only $17 + $1 online processing fee. I'll have to go look for a lifetime permit now. Thanks for pointing this out.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Doe walked right out in front me, 40 yards, easy shot, and I missed!  Sure was mad at myself, letting all that good meat get away.  Plenty of time left, but bird (deer) in the hand and all...

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
Not cool. I've only missed once, but it really stings.

Checked with our department of conservation today and no lifetime permits/licenses. Oh well.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »
You guys are lucky, I have only ever seen one. Except out of season. Deer season we will see huge herds of elk. then the next month during elk season all we would see are deer.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »
Tagged a decent doe last night.  50 lbs plus of meat.  Compares nicely to beef roast which I saw on sale this week for $3/lb. so call it $150 worth, plus some cheap entertainment.  Between the gas to get there, ammo, and the license, I am about halfway to break even on my out of pocket expenses for the year and it is only the opening weekend of rifle season (earlier miss was with black powder).  Going to go for three this year, as we had no trouble eating two last year.

Shortbus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
Got my lifetime saltwater license this year. Don't hunt and there's no significant freshwater within 100 miles so I skipped the sportsman license. One good thing about Florida's lifetime license is that it remains valid even if you no longer reside in FL.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
Put another one in the freezer last night.  I figure I'm at break even for the year on a cash basis.  Might try for one more.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »
$250?! Geez, I would buy that in a heartbeat.  In Texas, lifetime Hunting and Fishing licenses are $1000 each right now, and its $1800 for both. I'm still debating doing it.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
Lol you are all so lucky. The license for fishing in the state (very small, like 2 lakes and one river)  where my father lives would cost me 400 chf/y because I'm resident in another state. No lifetime option. Horrible fishes, very small and lean. Fu*king Switzerland. Hunting license for resident is 1000 chf/y.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
Well, thought I only needed one more, but I shot one and the other that was with it hung around, so I shot it, too.  And, my hunting buddy wants to hunt again tomorrow so I guess I will have to! (Limit is 6) Pretty awesome having a 12 month+ supply of meat laid up.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
I received mine as a 16th bday present from mom and dad. Cost ~$450. Little brother (6 years younger) got his the same way and it cost almost $800. Still worth the money but not near the good deal it was for me. I like it for the simple fact that some years I will hunt/fish A LOT  and then be really busy like last year (house renovations all winter) and not get out at all. Sadly no deer hunting for me this year just moving to a new county and don't have anything set up yet. I'll be ready next year though! Also like the fact that if I ever move out of state I can still come back and hunt without a $$$ out of state license