Author Topic: Lidl USA - Thoughts? Is it just another Aldi?  (Read 4028 times)

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
Lidl USA - Thoughts? Is it just another Aldi?
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:08 AM »
If you're aren't already aware of this, German grocer, Lidl, is making a major launch into the US market. Several have or will soon open in my neck of the woods.

Are there any Lidl USA fans out there? How does it compare to Aldi? How's the quality of the foods (we tend to be picky, but not brand focused)? Is there anything in particular that you like to get there?

I'm trying to determine if it's worth a trip to the nearest store, which is a bit out of the way. If it's just another Aldi, then I'll pass.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:26:22 PM by Tetsuya Hondo »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Lidl USA - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »
I don't know what the stores will look like in the US but I really like Lidl in Poland.  A lot better selection and a step up in quality from Aldi.  Would definitely shop at Lidl if one opened in my area.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lidl USA - Thoughts? Is it just another Aldi?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
Lidl in France is great.  You never know how a major chain will do in a particular country.  For example, Target's expansion into Canada was a huge disaster.  But I would give any new chain a chance or two or three.

Generally, Lidl's selection varies, depending on what they're able to buy in huge quantities at a particular time. For example, we love San Marco coffee which is not stocked regularly at Lidl in France, but when it is, it's way, way cheaper than anywhere else.

They also have a decent organics line of products.

I'm sure their local flyer will be online when they go live so that you can compare.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:16:01 AM »
Also no US Lidl experience, but I second it's a higher quality version of Aldi here. Their products have been "best buy" in many consumer tests and the quality of their produce is great. I'd say give it a shot.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:40:33 AM »
Both Aldi and Lidl are well established in the UK, tend to attract the same demographic mix, and I'm sure there are factors that distinguish them from one another in terms of what they do well, but as a very occasional shopper (I don't think they're any cheaper than taking advantage of discounts at the Big Four supermarkets, and I like being allowed to pack my bags properly at the checkout instead of having my purchases hurled back into my trolley) I see them as being almost interchangeable.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
In Ireland, Lidl and Aldi tend to locate close to one another. My wife says she doesn't know how we'd manage without them. Their canned goods are as good as any branded ones. Fresh fruit and vegetables very good. I don't see much difference between them as they have sprung from the same business model, in Germany. Give them a try but don't go out of your way unless one is stocking that power tool you just must have. IT

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
I finally made the trek to a Lidl. I like it. It's a lot like Aldi, but not depressing. Maybe it was the marketing or lighting or because it was brand new, but everything just looked better than Aldi (the produce looked better, the meats, etc.). Prices seemed similar for my benchmark items although I haven't done a detailed comparison.

If you're in the US and one pops up near you, it's worth a look.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Aldi for so many reasons. I hope Lidl is good and shows up soon in MN!