Author Topic: Library vs. Audible?  (Read 15025 times)

El Gringo

• Bristles
Library vs. Audible?
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
How many people use Audible? I used to listen to podcasts on my commute to work, but recently switched to audio books from my library so that I could dive deeper into topics. But even at my big city library, the audio book selection is limited, so I'm thinking of signing up for audible so that I can listen to more books that I'm more interested in.

How do people like Audible?

(and hello Audible ad at the bottom of this page!)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Library vs. Audible?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
You can get a lot of free audio books on Project Gutenberg.  There are computer-read and human-read.  The only downside is that all of the books are old because they have to be out of copywrite.  If there are any classics you are interested in reading, you should start here.  Maybe it will save you some money by delaying your Audible purchases.

Another tip.  Look at other libraries in your area.  For example, I live in Orleans parish but they have an agreement with Jefferson parish that allows me access to their library as well.  They have a different selection of books, movies, and audio books.  Perhaps you could find something similar.

I don't use Audible, so I can't comment on paying for the service.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:41:45 AM »
My library is part of a lending network with other libraries across the state.  It might be worth looking into that as well.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
+1 to suggestions to check all branches and whatever is available through library networks.  For us, we can use the library from the next county over if we are fine-free and get a "sticker" on our card once per year. 

Also check if your library does any audio-ebooks - ours has some through OverDrive and a couple other sites and those don't come up as available when you limit your search just to the library's database. 

HTH!  I listen to audiobooks quite a bit and haven't felt like the library is failing me for material yet.  =)

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
My library has an ebook site which also has audiobooks through Overdrive. Might be worth checking out their online resources.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »
There is generally an audiobook on whenever I am driving or working out or doing anything with headphones. My library is great but over the past few years I have gone through most of their catalog  on books that interest me and a few librarians have told me that they are not getting new titles in that fast any more, so Audible has been useful in filling in gaps. I have been a member for a year or so and really like it, especially as it can supplement the audiobook cds I receive from the library. I need to look at Overdrive to see how best to incorporate it into my listening schedule.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:24:44 AM »
Does your library subscribe to the Hoopla digital service? If so, you can find a lot of audio books on there (as well as albums and movies/TV shows). It would be a worth a look.

E_Ransom

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
As a librarian, let me tell you... Librivox.org is probably the best place for audiobooks.

Their selection is only public domain, so it's mostly classics and older stuff. But it's all free, easy to download, quickly transferrable to any device, and very well stocked. I'd suggest giving Librivox a look.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »
For those who listen to Overdrive audiobooks on the go, what app do you use? I was able to download several audiobooks to my PC using Overdrive, and transfer them to my iphone, but using the Music app to play them is not working for me. It plays them, but it doesn't remember where I left off, which is truly annoying.

Oh, and on the Audible question - I used to be a member years ago. The service is really good, and the pricing was not bad at the time (I don't know how much they charge these days). But obviously free audiobooks from the library trumps paying for books from Audible.

CatchingFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
For Overdrive on the iPhone, download the Overdrive app.  WAY easier.  You just log onto your library in the app and it downloads the book right into the app.  You have to listen in the app, but it's much easier than dealing with downloading and then transferring.  I use it a lot.

CatchingFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
I am lucky to have a city, county, and other nearby city library systems available to me with excellent electronic resources as well.  However, if you do not, there are some libraries that offer out-of-state cards for an annual fee.  Fairfax County, VA is one of the least expensive at $27/year.  Not a bad value if you listen to audiobooks a lot or read on your Kindle. 

Link to their library application.  https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/accountservices/nonresapp.htm

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
Also look to see if your library subscribes to OneClick Digital.  They have their own app and catalog, too... fewer titles, but ya never know what you might find and like!

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »
I have several Audible books but have never subscribed. By far my biggest issue is their onerous and 'out of the times' digital rights management restrictions, which makes it difficult to move audiobooks across devices, impossible to store audiobooks in the infamous iCloud, etc.

Another "free source" for audio books = YouTube. Yeah that's right.

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
I ditched my Audible subscription because I now mostly listen to podcasts. If you do get the subscription, I believe you can put it on hold for 3 months out of each 12, so that is one of the options. Also if you find you have too many credits, you can do a thing where you pay $10 a year to keep your existing credits valid.  Under this, you still get unlimited returns if you don't like a book.  This feature is what I liked about my sub. There was no risk of not liking a book. At least this is what I was offered.

I got frustrated with getting audiobooks from the library as they often expired before I got through them or I'd put a hold on something and then didn't have time to listen at the time it became available.  I also ended up listening to a few things just because what I really wanted to listen to wasn't available, and I didn't enjoy this.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
I got through them or I'd put a hold on something and then didn't have time to listen at the time it became available.

Overdrive now has a suspend feature which allows you to keep your place in the queue for a book but not check it out.  If you're #1 in the queue, the book will skip you and go to the next person while you're in suspend mode.  I'm listening to one book now and just downloaded a second so I suspended my hold for To Kill a Mockingbird where I was quickly moving up the queue. 

I, too, find some of the restrictions of library audiobooks a little annoying.  But overall, free sure beats paying full price for one audiobook or paying Audible's monthly rate.  I love the e-media options from my library systems.  I can access 4 library systems (one of them is mega) so it's not impossible to always have something to listen to.  Granted, the sacrifice is that I cannot always get the book I want.  But with thousands of audio titles available, I have some way to go before I tire of the selection and consider Audible (and I have looked into it). 

My "I want this book" process is:

1) Overdrive or One click digital audiobook , if not available
2) Overdrive/3m/various library options for e-book, if not available
3) Paper version from library, if not available
4) Find something else to read
5) If I really must have it, buy the book (depending on the use/subject matter, either as e-book or paper)

#5 very rarely happens and when it does, it usually for reference or educational purposes

For those who may be eligible, audiobooks (and magazines) are available from the Library of Congress.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
I recently discovered my library's use of Overdrive. I used to have an audible account, but I tend to go through phases of wanting to listen, so I never used all my credits.  I ended up downgrading to the $10/year membership.  It seems to round out the limitations of my library's selection on Overdrive (which is pretty decent, but missing titles I'd really like to have.)

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
Check your library for MP3 players that come pre-loaded with audio tracks (mostly autobiographies, popular novels, self-help books). Then you don't gotta maintain your own MP3 player (mine is always dying) and just gotta add batteries and hook in your head phones.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
Librivox.