Author Topic: Library of Stuff - Advice on how to catalog it.  (Read 3031 times)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
Library of Stuff - Advice on how to catalog it.
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
I'm looking to create a library of stuff.  Does anyone know a website or web-service I can use to help build it.  Ideally it would have the following features, in order of importance:

1) Ability for me to compile a list of stuff to share categorized by who owns the stuff
2) Ability for others to add to this list under their own names
3) Ability to keep the list up to date and declare whether an item has been checked out or not

I want to start with just myself and close friends and maybe add more people as it becomes successful.  The idea being that I can share my food dehydrator which I've used once in the past 3 months, and I can borrow other things I only use once every 3 months.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Library of Stuff - Advice on how to catalog it.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
I'm a big fan of spreadsheets. You could organize it by many ways. Color code by ownership, give each person a tab. Then do it through google drive where you can share the document amongst friends. As people borrow or are borrowed from they can update the sheet.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »
Yea, 2nd spreadsheets

MountainMan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I just started using LibraryThing.com for cataloging books (and letting them go after recording their titles).  But as far as a cataloging a library of Stuff...

Maybe look for a site that you can add items to and tag with subjects or categories relating to those items.  Might be the closest you could get to it, without setting up your own spreadsheet.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »
I would most likely use Google spreadsheets and some scripts. You can make a list of items in one column with protected cells, then a protected owners column where you could put in their emails, then have a sign out column where people could write in their emails. Upon saving, the spreadsheet could email both parties whereby creating a record of the inquiry date. You can play with the scripting to make the emails more formal saying, "SoAndSo requested to borrow the 'blender' from SoAndSo2 on 4/3/2013. SoAndSo is to pick up the blender by 4/5/2013 and have it returned by 4/12/2013."

Just an idea. There's plenty of guides and help out there for Google docs scripting.