Author Topic: Letting go of certain hobbies to become more mobile?  (Read 3275 times)

aldrimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Letting go of certain hobbies to become more mobile?
« on: June 25, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Hi guys!

I live a very minimalist lifestyle and have been doing so for the last 5-6 years. However, lately I've been thinking about simplifying my life even further.

One of the best experiences of my life was traveling in Asia for 3 months with just my backpack - I had everything I needed in that backpack and I felt free like a bird.
However, one of my main hobbies at home is music. I really like doing music, and it's been a part of my life since my childhood, but doing music production / composing requires two things in order for it to be productive and fun (at least in my opinion):

- Gear: at the very minimum a musical instrument, but I prefer a studio with monitors, a powerful computer, and basic recording gear.
- Space: Usually you need a studio or a rehearsal space in order to play instruments out loud without getting complaints from neighbours.

My problem is not the costs involved in this, even though it can easily become a very expensive hobby, but mostly the necessity of a physical space and music gear.
I've lately felt "locked down" due to my gear and my need for a rehearsal space in addition to my apartment. I hate not having the ability to throw everything I own into a couple of suitcases and go. I've also had periods in my life when music was not a huge part of it (when I focused on other hobbies of mine, such as language learning), so I know I can live a full and happy life without it. So I'm actually contemplating quitting music and only focus on hobbies / projects that do not require physical gear from now on. Also, free hobbies, such as language learning etc., would be ideal. However, I do really enjoy learning about music and music composition, so this is a really touch decision.

What do you guys think about this?
Have you guys experiences similar things regarding hobbies and interests in your life?

Thank you for your time and answers! :)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Re: Letting go of certain hobbies to become more mobile?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »
I know exactly of what you speak; possessions, not even many, feel like huge anchors.  Compared to many, I never had much "stuff", but having been divorced, and loading a U-Haul 10 times in the last four years, has caused me to cut way back.  My hobbies tend to be heavy; shooting and vehicle repair tools.  At one time I had about 50 firearms, many hundreds of pounds of reloading equipment, lead ingots for casting...  I have steadily been selling some of it off, or simply giving it away to a beginner.  I really went through my tools, prioritized, and now am down pretty much to a single, two tier roll-away tool box, and a few totes worth of other tools.  I can now fit everything I own in the world, in a 10' U-haul.  I really wish I could fit  everything I own in my 2006, manual transmission Toyota Matrix!  It would really allow me more freedom of movement, and simply more basic "freedom".  I remember how this felt, and I miss it dearly.

I have always been very introverted, frugal, and a minimalist.  The older I get, the more I simply like to go for walks, volunteer, read, drink tea, bird watch, think, simply count my blessings, and be grateful.  Good luck OP.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
Well you could learn musical pursuits that don't require lots of gear :)

I'm a classically trained singer (when I was in college the fancy pants term was vocalist)...I have never done it as a job, only a hobby.  But with a tablet and my voice, I'm set to get my musical inclinations on anytime anywhere.  There's some phenomenal tablet programs for composing, mixing etc.  is it a fully equipped studio?  Well no, but if you enjoy it and want to keep it going without lots of "stuff" it's more than enough.  I know you might not be a singer, but most people can be taught to sing passably well by a good teacher.

Also, harmonicas, mandolins (small and pretty portable with a hardsided case the size of a backpack), flutes (they break down), same with clarinets, smaller hand drums.  And so on.  Learn any one of these instruments, and you can easily travel with your music.  My main instrument has always been the piano, but I play the flute reasonably well, and in my traveling days always took one with me.

Expand your musical horizons, learn a new skill, and get the best of all worlds ;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »
I worry giving up hobbies for minimalism shares all the same troubles of giving up hobbies for frugality: if you have a lot, and give one up, fine. But if it's core to your identity and how you socialize? You're cutting away a major source of happiness in your life.

Are there ways for it to take less space, instead? Ie, a co-work style composing space so you don't need to the digital side of things, or a friend with similar interests who lives nearby?

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »
I think it depends on how important the hobby is for you. If it is essential for your mental and emotional health then hang onto the gear. If you wouldn't miss it, let it go. Can you find a way to share a studio?

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Well you could learn musical pursuits that don't require lots of gear :)

I agree with this!

There should be ways to adapt your musical interests to align with your minimalist tendencies and avoid cutting an activity that you enjoy and that has been important to your life. For instance, you could play acoustic instruments and use a more low-key home recording set up. It doesn't have to be and either/or.

Switching up your equipment might even bring out a new kind of creativity. I'm reminded of the Lars von Trier documentary, The Five Obstructions, where a creatively blocked filmmaker is challenged to create five short films, each with a severe technical limitation. He comes up with really interesting solutions to get around the different "obstructions," and the results are probably better than if he had had all the options in the world.

aldrimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
Thank you guys so much for your feedback! Highly appreciated!

I have thought about sharing a studio with some other people, but I'm struggling to find reliable people. However, I will definitely give this another go!

And yeah, I can probably do a much more minimalist approach to my studio as well, as a lot of recording effects / synths etc. can be bought and played virtually through recording software nowadays. I'll see what I can do to find a good compromise! Thanks guys!

wanderin1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »

I hate not having the ability to throw everything I own into a couple of suitcases and go.

I can’t quite tell if your motive is to do this to become lighter in general? Or specifically because you like to travel? If it’s at all the latter, maybe this example will help:

When I’m at home, I’m super-involved with a specialty sport that requires bulky and kinda non-mustachian gear. I also love to travel. But no way could I lug my sporting gear with me—even if the sport were played everywhere I went. My solution has been to leave it all at home, and to focus part of my travels on getting into local sports communities around the world—usually the specialty sport of that culture. Think Muay Thai in Thailand. Capioera in Brazil. Horse racing in Mongolia. It’s enriched my travel more than I could ever have imagined.

When you travel, maybe the same kind of thing could work for you? Leave your gear—and any preconceptions--at home and launch yourself into local music communities.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Why not go to the city park and practice?   The patrons at the park might even toss you money... :)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 05:00:58 AM »
Hi guys!

I live a very minimalist lifestyle and have been doing so for the last 5-6 years. However, lately I've been thinking about simplifying my life even further.

One of the best experiences of my life was traveling in Asia for 3 months with just my backpack - I had everything I needed in that backpack and I felt free like a bird.
However, one of my main hobbies at home is music. I really like doing music, and it's been a part of my life since my childhood, but doing music production / composing requires two things in order for it to be productive and fun (at least in my opinion):

- Gear: at the very minimum a musical instrument, but I prefer a studio with monitors, a powerful computer, and basic recording gear.
- Space: Usually you need a studio or a rehearsal space in order to play instruments out loud without getting complaints from neighbours.

My problem is not the costs involved in this, even though it can easily become a very expensive hobby, but mostly the necessity of a physical space and music gear.
I've lately felt "locked down" due to my gear and my need for a rehearsal space in addition to my apartment. I hate not having the ability to throw everything I own into a couple of suitcases and go. I've also had periods in my life when music was not a huge part of it (when I focused on other hobbies of mine, such as language learning), so I know I can live a full and happy life without it. So I'm actually contemplating quitting music and only focus on hobbies / projects that do not require physical gear from now on. Also, free hobbies, such as language learning etc., would be ideal. However, I do really enjoy learning about music and music composition, so this is a really touch decision.

What do you guys think about this?
Have you guys experiences similar things regarding hobbies and interests in your life?

Thank you for your time and answers! :)

If music is something that you pick up and put down and become very absorbed in when you're engaged with it, I'd be wary of saying, "Yes, sell all your music equipment apart from your smallest penny whistle," because a time is likely to come round again when you wish you had it and - worst of all - feel compelled to buy it all over again. But I'm interested to note other posters' comments about ways of creating music that aren't dependent on you having a lot of space and kit. Maybe it's an opportunity to bring your hobby bang up to date.

I also have a space-consuming, money-pit hobby. Bicycling doesn't have to be Mustachian! Finding the tipping-point at which more kit/spendier kit would start to generate diminishing returns is an art and we have chosen to resist or postpone a lot of purchases that we'd have made if money and/or space were not a consideration, but cutting back to a point at which my husband and I get less pleasure from our shared hobby would be a last resort option, somewhere below wearing rags and dining on roadkill and dandelions. All the same, I do sometimes hanker for the days when we were long distance runners and needed only a tiny amount of equipment.

I'm guessing that travelling with a backpack knowing that the backpack contains all your possessions would feel very different from travelling with a backpack knowing that you have a lot of possessions back home.