Author Topic: Let's discuss Mustachian toilet paper  (Read 14614 times)

esq

• Bristles
Let's discuss Mustachian toilet paper
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
Thinking about this necessary purchase got me wondering and brought me here to the board.

Do you go by price?  If so, how do you determine price?

Family likes Charmin. By far superior.  My stock up price is < 2 cents/s.f.  (Don't talk to me about price per roll like most coupon bloggers - makes steam come out of my ears.....and how many s.f. was that particular roll of that particular brand you were just referring to?)

Right now, with Proctor & Gamble promo going on at the local HEB market, I can get it for about 1.8 cents/s.f. 

Do you go by quality only?  I guess for me it's a bit of both.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: Let's discuss Mustachian toilet paper
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
Thinking about this necessary purchase got me wondering and brought me here to the board.

It's not a necessity when millions of people are able to go poop and stay clean with out the stuff.

Blueskies123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
What makes you think they are staying clean?  If you ever been to Africa, or India for the Far East do you shake hands with the people in the streets?

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »

Family likes Charmin. By far superior.  My stock up price is < 2 cents/s.f.  (Don't talk to me about price per roll like most coupon bloggers - makes steam come out of my ears.....and how many s.f. was that particular roll of that particular brand you were just referring to?)

Right now, with Proctor & Gamble promo going on at the local HEB market, I can get it for about 1.8 cents/s.f. 

I get the Kirkland brand which for the price in our store ends up being .88 cents per square foot.  That's $0.00878/sq ft.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »

It's not a necessity when millions of people are able to go poop and stay clean with out the stuff.

Not going to ask how they manage this, because I'm not interested, and have no wish to engage you in further conversation.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »

I get the Kirkland brand which for the price in our store ends up being .88 cents per square foot.  That's $0.00878/sq ft.

To keep this on track, I think the Kirkland brand is probably the best in terms of quantity and price. It's not the "cushiest," but does the job and isn't one step up from sandpaper. For those without Costco memberships, Angel Soft is my favorite all around brand. I also like Trader Joe's Recycled TP but it's not very soft and the rolls seem pretty small.

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »
Always remember.....

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »

So per month, what does .2 cents/sf actually save you? A few dollars?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »
The most Mustachian option is not to use TP for pee.

I buy the only recycled brand of toilet paper carried at our Walmart. Our Costco doesn't seem to have recycled.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Install a bidet and only use tp to dry off.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:14:48 PM »

So per month, what does .2 cents/sf actually save you? A few dollars?

For our family size, buying when it's on sale vs. not buying it on sale, I'd say I probably save about $3 - $4 a month.

Doesn't make sense to me to buy it, or anything else, any other way.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »
I agree with the others - for me, Kirkland is the best as far as quality/price.  I can use a Costco card from work for free and I go about every 6 mos for tp and a few other random things (like chia seeds, olive oil or maple syrup). 

I used to go through it like crazy.  Using their tp has saved me a ton (especially since I can go to Costco for free).

I do not understand how anyone can use Charmin...  in my experience, it leaves more behind than it removes.  :}  But that must not be the case for lots of others or they would be out of business.

Teacherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 08:11:04 PM »
I do not understand how anyone can use Charmin...  in my experience, it leaves more behind than it removes.  :}  But that must not be the case for lots of others or they would be out of business.

I've had the same experience with Charmin and wondered why it was so popular.

We use Scott 1000 exclusively, and it is 115 sq ft per roll. Target regularly has it on sale for 50¢ per roll. We stock up then. So less than 1/2¢ per sf. Cheap, effective, and as an added bonus, never clogs the toilet.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »

I've had the same experience with Charmin and wondered why it was so popular.

We use Scott 1000 exclusively, and it is 115 sq ft per roll. Target regularly has it on sale for 50¢ per roll. We stock up then. So less than 1/2¢ per sf. Cheap, effective, and as an added bonus, never clogs the toilet.

Someone once asked me, "why do they call Scott tissue Patton toilet paper?  Because it don't take no shit offa nobody".  LOL

I think you guys must have used the Ultra Soft Charmin!  I get the other kind - can't think of the name - and it's good because you don't have to use a lot.

Now I am curious about Kirkland, though.  They're building a Costco about 20 minutes from here, probably done by summer.  There are only 1 or 2 Costco's in Houston that I know of.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »
(1) We order this stuff via Amazon because it is made with recycled paper and not packaged in plastic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MTVZP0

(2) As per the above discussion, we have toilet paper but we also have soft flannel cloths available for wiping pee if the wiper so desires. After use, the wipe goes a laundry basket and is washed with the general laundry as you would wash any cloth rag used for cleaning. We also do "if it's yellow let it mellow" in most circumstances (especially at night), although not when we might have visitors. Peeing in the mulch or the compost pile in the backyard is also strongly encouraged. Gentlemen just pick their spot, ladies usually pee in a buckets and dump wherever additional fertilizer is needed. Saving potable water is important to our family and we consider it part of our financial and environmental value system.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
I have the most low maintenance wife in the whole world except when it comes to TP. She is very particular and prefers Charmin. We've tried the Kirkland and many others. I just deal with the lintiness of the Charmin and it does not cost that much more than the Kirkland. We always buy it when it's on sale at Costco.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
I'm pretty happy with White Cloud Green Earth which is 100% recycled content. Price was just raised and is now $0.0163/sf.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:00:51 AM by step-in-time »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:50 AM »
If my goal is to save $0.10 per day, there are plenty of other places I can get it done easily, rather than using cheap "poke thru", "old sandy" toilet paper.
I want the good stuff.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »
If my goal is to save $0.10 per day, there are plenty of other places I can get it done easily, rather than using cheap "poke thru", "old sandy" toilet paper.
I want the good stuff.

I refer to that stuff as "1/4-ply."

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I had an old coworker who would say his clients were "so cheap they'd use both sides of toilet paper".

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:13 AM »
Pooping at work saves toilet paper.  So does eating your veggies so that everything comes out right.

I too, buy Kirkland toilet paper at Costco.  I'm not sure if it's the absolute cheapest, but it's pretty close, it's a solid B+ quality-wise, and there's no "double rolls"/"thick rolls"/"huge rolls" BS to wade through.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I had an old coworker who would say his clients were "so cheap they'd use both sides of toilet paper".

... and would leave the sheet for the next guy if they only used one side.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
Pooping at work saves toilet paper.  So does eating your veggies so that everything comes out right.

+1 I shit at work for the most part, but I have refused to ever have cheap tp in my home again after college.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
Wegman's brand is $0.011/sf and is perfectly good.

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »
The grocery store I shop at lists unit prices for everything on the price tags so I usually just buy whatever 2-ply TP has the lowest unit price at the time.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »

Everyone missed that one.

Whole thread about why: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/get-a-bidet/msg637484/

Long term: bidet pays for itself and cuts your toilet paper use by an order of magnitude. (nevermind it does a better job than paper)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:28 PM »
I go with kirkland brand. It's not always, every time, guaranteed the cheapest, but its the cheapest frequently enough that I can't be arsed to cost compare. And sometimes I wipe my bum with Charmin wetwipes.

Peeing in the mulch or the compost pile in the backyard is also strongly encouraged. Gentlemen just pick their spot, ladies usually pee in a buckets and dump wherever additional fertilizer is needed.

At the end of the day, directional peeing seems to be the only thing gentlemen really have on ladies, physiologically speaking. I work on boats. In 10 years, I've pulled >10 ladies out of the drink with their pants around their ankles. Zero dudes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
You could always go military style. Take on square and insert finger through center of square. Insert finger in area that needs cleaning then take the square and wipe finger off. Now a days you could even clean finger with hand sanitizer. Personally i wouldn't worry about 10 cents a day when it comes to being comfortable in that area. Not to mention if your going out of your way to one store to buy it are you saving anything?

chais875

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »
a use for the junk mail,  catalogs, and unwanted news papers that pile up in the letter box everyday ?

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
a use for the junk mail,  catalogs, and unwanted news papers that pile up in the letter box everyday ?

Leaves off the trees, if you're in the shower just stomp it through the drain, dirty cloths that you're about to wash anyways .

Lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:02:39 AM by homelesshobbit »

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 07:27:59 AM »
Buy wipes in bulk.

You will save lots of $ on toilet paper. Wipes are much more efficient, so you will use less per "toilet visit" & save money in the long run.

Do not flush any wipes down your toilet, no matter if they say flushable or not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »

+1 I shit at work for the most part, but I have refused to ever have cheap tp in my home again after college.

The TP at my work is so thin you can see through it...sigh!

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »

Not going to ask how they manage this, because I'm not interested, and have no wish to engage you in further conversation.

+1. I know how it's managed only because I have family that live in 3rd world countries, but I'm willing to bet that he/she has used toilet paper at LEAST once in their life. It's toilet's paper and it's an ok necessity....

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 07:35:04 PM »
Scott all the way! Cheap scratchy TP really scrubs things off. Fluffy stuff is no good, you have to wipe more times to get clean.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 11:48:05 PM »
There's lots of ways to save money. I'll buy store brand of most things, but I don't buy the cheapo toilet paper. There's not enough savings and I'd rather have the comfort. I had to put up with the sandpaper-rough and see-through thin 1-ply TP for too many years at work, school, and my parents' house growing up.

That being said, if I really wanted to save money I'd probably buy a bidet. Higher upfront cost, but over time it would save a lot.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 01:23:30 AM »

Whole thread about why: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/get-a-bidet/msg637484/

Long term: bidet pays for itself and cuts your toilet paper use by an order of magnitude. (nevermind it does a better job than paper)

I've had a bidet for about a year now. I don't feel clean without it now. I've mentioned to coworkers that I have a bidet and most think it's weird. One person even stated that TP is "good enough." I told her that she was just smearing shit around down there.

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00JG2DETM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454314739&sr=8-1&keywords=luxe+bidet+120

$40 and you get a squeaky clean ass after every dump. It's really nice if you get some swamp ass going on. Also a pack of TP lasts me months. So the bidet will pay for itself after a few months.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »

I've had a bidet for about a year now. I don't feel clean without it now. I've mentioned to coworkers that I have a bidet and most think it's weird. One person even stated that TP is "good enough." I told her that she was just smearing shit around down there.

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00JG2DETM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454314739&sr=8-1&keywords=luxe+bidet+120

$40 and you get a squeaky clean ass after every dump. It's really nice if you get some swamp ass going on. Also a pack of TP lasts me months. So the bidet will pay for itself after a few months.

Everybody poops.

I imagine everybody has had this problem before too:

Ergo, why would anyone NOT have a bidet? Swish, clean, one square of TP to dry yourself.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:02:54 AM by cjottawa »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
I want the good stuff.
I'm with you!  Having compared name brands, square footage per roll, and prices, my mid-point comfort zone (literally comfort zone) is Target's knock off of Northern brand.  It's the brand we like best, and it goes on sale in the giant packages fairly often.  We no longer comparison shop; that brand always "won". 

You can get a bidet attachment (replaces your toilet seat) for about $50, but you have to have an electrical outlet next to your toilet with which to run it -- and that's an uncommon thing.  It's one of the things I plan to have in the house we're building. 

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »
I want the good stuff.
I'm with you!  Having compared name brands, square footage per roll, and prices, my mid-point comfort zone (literally comfort zone) is Target's knock off of Northern brand.  It's the brand we like best, and it goes on sale in the giant packages fairly often.  We no longer comparison shop; that brand always "won". 

You can get a bidet attachment (replaces your toilet seat) for about $50, but you have to have an electrical outlet next to your toilet with which to run it -- and that's an uncommon thing.  It's one of the things I plan to have in the house we're building.

While some require power (for heated seats and dryers), the "Neo" brand you see on Amazon are spray only and don't require power...water pressure only. There's a T-adaptor to tap into the water supply line to the toilet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:52:35 PM by cjottawa »

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »
A few months ago, I installed the bidet that Mr. Lahey linked to.  No electric needed.

It's changed my life.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
A few months ago, I installed the bidet that Mr. Lahey linked to.  No electric needed.

It's changed my life.

I bought this same one as an early Valentine's gift for my SO... he has Crohn's.  He loves me for it.

I feel odd saying this on the internet, then I remember this forum is full of Mustachians and most likely everyone is actually going to think that was a good idea instead of a horribly unsentimental gift, hahaha.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

It's changed my life.

I bought this same one as an early Valentine's gift for my SO... he has Crohn's.  He loves me for it.

I feel odd saying this on the internet, then I remember this forum is full of Mustachians and most likely everyone is actually going to think that was a good idea instead of a horribly unsentimental gift, hahaha

I decided to buy this as a birthday present for my husband before I scrolled down to this comment!

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
Me three - I bought a bidet (the non-electric kind) as a gift for a family member. But convincing people to adopt such a weird thing is hard, even with the logical reasons of improved cleanliness and less tp use.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:32 PM »
You know the large rolls of industrial paper that's often used in public restrooms like gas stations and airports? One time I bought a box of 12 rolls, thinking I'd save a few pennies. Because we didn't have a holder capable of fitting such a large roll, I'd leave it on the vanity top and take what we needed.

Poor DH was so mortified. Every time someone came over, he would hide my huge roll of TP and pull out a regular-sized one for guests.

Eventually we got tired of playing musical chairs with the TP and went back to using the stuff from Costco. 

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
Scott 1 ply

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »
Me three - I bought a bidet (the non-electric kind) as a gift for a family member. But convincing people to adopt such a weird thing is hard, even with the logical reasons of improved cleanliness and less tp use.

Luckily, mine wanted it and had just put off the purchase, so it was perfect for me. =)

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »

To keep this on track, I think the Kirkland brand is probably the best in terms of quantity and price. It's not the "cushiest," but does the job and isn't one step up from sandpaper. For those without Costco memberships, Angel Soft is my favorite all around brand. I also like Trader Joe's Recycled TP but it's not very soft and the rolls seem pretty small.
It's cushier than the grocery store brand I was buying before.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:28 PM »
Cottonelle and that's non-negotiable:) I'd love to have a bidet.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:34 AM »
In this area, my environmentalist guilt trumps my Mustachianism. We buy recycled TP. We've ordered Marcal Small Steps off Amazon or we buy the Whole Foods house brand. Whole Foods is just a few stores down from Costco and we go there regularly, so it isn't really a special trip.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »
All this blather and spendy TP work-arounds,

Just use the nearest cat; they'll clean it up themselves, later.

You are already paying enough to keep them, they might as well be of some practical value.