Author Topic: Lesser of two evils - glass top stove dilemma.  (Read 4714 times)

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
Lesser of two evils - glass top stove dilemma.
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
The glass top on our stove was broken last month and I need to decide whether to replace the top or replace the entire stove.  My parents were in town and my dad dropped something while removing it from the top shelf - he felt awful, so he has already sent a check to cover the cost of the stove (and then some).  Repair needs to happen soon, because my parents will be visiting again next month and will want to see that I used the money for its intended purpose, but I'd like to make a smart decision. 

The current stove is a 2006 Frigidaire Professional series stainless steel slide-in unit.  It looks like comparable ovens cost $1200-2000 new, so it's a nice oven (came with our very Anti-Mustachian house, which I'd like to downsize out of at some point in the not-too-distant future).  Replacement cost on the glass top would be about $375-400ish ($291 for the glass, $75 labor, +S&H).  (I realize that maybe we could do the install ourselves and save some money, but neither my husband nor I are super-handy and he refuses to take the gamble on something expensive like this.)  For a similar price, we could instead buy a new, basic,  freestanding, glass-top stainless stove.  It wouldn't have the fancy built-in look (we'd have to remove a piece of countertop to install, which makes my husband nervous that there might be damage and it might look bad) and it would not be as nice of an oven, but it wouldn't be 8 years old.   

If it were up to me, we'd buy an even more-basic  free-standing stove with the old-school burners and drip pans, but I realize that's not a great idea for resale value and we do hope to sell this house at some point in the future!  So I'm debating between a new top on the existing stove and a brand-new but more-basic freestanding stove.

Any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards repair, mainly because I think the fancypants stove may help resale value if it lasts until that point, but was hoping to get some thoughts from others. 

kaizen soze

• Stubble
Re: Lesser of two evils - glass top stove dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »
Since the price is a wash, I'd just repair rather than mess with the look-and-feel of your kitchen shortly before putting the house on the market. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »
+1 for repair - in my experience, stoves last for a very long time

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »
+1 for repair

You've had the funds given to you, so I'd say, just go ahead and get it repaired (before they come back .. wink).

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
I vote with replacing the top. Whoever buys your fancypants house ( I have one, too) will expect your stuff to match and look 'put together'. Buyers really look at kitchens, too. Hope this helps.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Thanks a bunch!!  I figured that was probably the way to go, but it's nice to get some votes of confidence!!

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Replace the top. The exact same thing happened to me. Opened that door over the microwave and the heavy perk coffe pot fell onto the stove top. And bounced and hit it again! I cried. The stove wasn't that old. Husband to the rescue. He called and ordered the top, we got it a few days later, and put it in ourselves. It's really just a screwdriver, sliding it into place and plugging the thingys together.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Replace the top. Remove everything from over the top that could break it when dropped.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
I agree that fixing the old stove is a good idea.  I doubt you can't fix it yourselves if you look it up on Youtube or something.  Maybe you have a handy friend who could help for the cost of a beer or dinner.

Don't fret about resale, it's a wash no matter what, you never know if buyers are going to keep what you have or gut the place.