Author Topic: Lending club  (Read 3636 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Lending club
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
Any experience with this and returns?
I am considering it with my investments.
TIA

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lending club
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
I played around with it a couple years ago.  Spent way more time trying to choose loans than it was worth.  I only invested about $2K, and had one of maybe a dozen loans default.  At the end of the day it wasn't worth it for me.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:36 PM »
I used Prosper and invested about $1200 25 bux at a time.. it took a few days to find investments.

I avoided any loans originating in California. This was about 3 years ago now.

I am currently running at 14.5% annual return.

So yes it works, I'm not particularly motivated to do it again, just seems like a lot of work.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
I put $6k into Lending Club in 2012. I have been withdrawing the cash balance as it builds and not investing in any new notes since starting. As of now the balance is $1500 with returns at 7.7% (adjusted for past due notes). I am not planning to invest in P2P lending again. I feel like the upside is capped but the downside is not. If there had been an economic downturn during this time it is quite possible the returns could have been negative. Also I don't like the tax hassles and lack of liquidity.

Imonaboat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:26 AM »
I use lending club for my roth which avoids all of the tax hassles.

I used automatic investing $25 each with a filter: Grade E loans(only because they have enough volume to fill up a profile, F and G do not) from people with mortgages or owned homes with 1 or less inquiries in the last 6 months.

Once I was 90% invested I tightened the filter to 0 inquiries and income > 4k/month.

I probably spent about 4-5 hours researching, tinkering with and setting up the account, but now it takes no effort whatsoever and automatically invests as money becomes available.

I've heard it's a hassle with taxed accounts though.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
I put about $7k into Prosper in 2007. I lost about $2k due to defaults. And it made my taxes more complicated... I wish I had just put the money in an index fund instead.

cborders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »
Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole except to play around. Why would you when you can purchase a basket of junk bonds that generate better returns with a similar risk profile, lower transaction costs, better liquidity, and fewer tax headaches? Can get slightly worse returns with exponentially less risk from MLP's, muni bonds, etc. as well.