Author Topic: Legitimate website for realtor reviews?  (Read 2237 times)

Aggie1999

• Bristles
Legitimate website for realtor reviews?
« on: June 07, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
Are there any legitimate websites for real estate agent reviews in the United States? My house is going on the market shortly and I am deciding whether to use a realtor or not. Problem is beyond the post cards I constantly get from realtors I have no idea how to pick out a good one. Seems like signing a 6 month contract with a realtor based on one meeting is not the best.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on what to ask a realtor when I am "interviewing" them that would be great. I plan to speak with at least 3 - 4 realtors before making a decision.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Legitimate website for realtor reviews?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
Community facebook site and ask for recommendations.

LovesToTravel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
Ask around - friends, coworkers, etc.  People generally feel quite strongly about their realtor, one way or the other.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
It is really too subjective for a website to be accurate. Everyone's experience is different, mainly based on their own situation and expectations.

Here are just a few random tips. I am not a realtor, but I have bought and sold at least ten houses so far.

- 6 months is too long, especially in a good market. 90 days tops.
- I'd prefer someone who's been in the business at least 15 continuous years. It means they've made it through some tough selling cycles. Old enough to have solid experience, young enough to be tech savvy, which is crucial.
- Do not use a rookie agent, a relative, a friend-of-a-friend or anyone who does this part-time.
- Don't choose the person who says your house will sell for the highest price. Some agents will promise you the moon to "buy" your listing. The market determines the price, not the agent (or the seller, but you know that, right?)
- Check out the potential agent's other listings. Are they staged well, photographed well, priced well? If not, keep looking.
- A different place to seek references is your local flooring stores (not the big boxes). People replace carpet and floors prior to selling, so flooring folks usually know which agents have their shit together.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

P.S. I do not trust community sites or FB. Too easy to rig. Yesterday, on ND, someone asked for a hairdresser. One of the responses was from someone I know, recommending herself. Nope.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
It is really too subjective for a website to be accurate. Everyone's experience is different, mainly based on their own situation and expectations.

Here are just a few random tips. I am not a realtor, but I have bought and sold at least ten houses so far.

- 6 months is too long, especially in a good market. 90 days tops.
- I'd prefer someone who's been in the business at least 15 continuous years. It means they've made it through some tough selling cycles. Old enough to have solid experience, young enough to be tech savvy, which is crucial.
- Do not use a rookie agent, a relative, a friend-of-a-friend or anyone who does this part-time.
- Don't choose the person who says your house will sell for the highest price. Some agents will promise you the moon to "buy" your listing. The market determines the price, not the agent (or the seller, but you know that, right?)
- Check out the potential agent's other listings. Are they staged well, photographed well, priced well? If not, keep looking.
- A different place to seek references is your local flooring stores (not the big boxes). People replace carpet and floors prior to selling, so flooring folks usually know which agents have their shit together.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

P.S. I do not trust community sites or FB. Too easy to rig. Yesterday, on ND, someone asked for a hairdresser. One of the responses was from someone I know, recommending herself. Nope.

Thank you very much. Some great tips.

What's you opinion on trying to sell a house without a realtor? I am considering it. My house is not a mansion or anything. Just a ~200k family home in Houston, TX.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Depends on many, many variables. I've been tempted, but never done it, because I am not an expert and I have a realtor I trust. She's a pit bull of a negotiator, so worth every penny of her fees, IMO. She also has a Broker's License, speaks fluent 1031 Exchange, can handle complicated transactions, has a prodigious memory and mad math skills. She's been in the business nearly 40 years, is tech savvy, and knows so many people that she finds us stuff that hasn't hit the market. In other words, a unicorn. She can't retire because her clients won't let her.

If your house is a cream puff and your market is vibrant, I'd strongly consider looking at Redfin as a good hybrid. HelpUSell might be worth checking into, if you're willing to do more work, but I have no experience with them.