Author Topic: Legit Work-from-home deals and other hustles...  (Read 19641 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
Re: Legit Work-from-home deals and other hustles...
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
Leapforce:  https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list;jsessionid=D440D31CE88616CE410E3477E5152D4A

Roughly 10 hours a week min, up to 40 max.  Work your own hours, pay is around $13 an hour, maybe more now.  I used to do this before traveling and enjoyed it.

Thanks. I think I'll look into that and post about how things went.

Well, I did apply for something they were advertising. I guess I'll wait to see if they contact me.

They contacted me, and now they want me to sign some forms. I haven't been offered an interview yet. It was an application to be an internet tester, or something, for a company called Rater Labs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:33:01 AM by kmb501 »

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »

You mention that you have mild autism.  Have you tried to see if there are any support groups or local agencies that can help people with disabilities find jobs?  It might be that they have some suggestions or assistance with helping those with autism find employment.  You might consider tutoring centers that have set curriculum for their students.  I wish you the best of luck.

I guess I have a bad habit of quitting after only trying once or twice. I got an interview at a local learning center, but I didn't get the job. They had me take a test to make sure I was qualified to teach the material, and I feel like maybe I didn't do so well on it. I was tired when I was taking it, but that's stopped me from applying to those places. I also got hired by a guy who claimed to own a tutoring service once but I didn't get any customers. I've thought about just opening my own tutoring business, but I honestly have no idea how to advertise. Someone probably suggested something earlier, but I was once really not that confident in my ability to teach, although I think I've gotten a whole lot better thanks to internet resources.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:26:36 PM by kmb501 »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
I guess I have a bad habit of quitting after only trying once or twice. I got an interview at a local learning center, but I didn't get the job. They had me take a test to make sure I was qualified to teach the material, and I feel like maybe I didn't do so well on it.

They didn't give you the results of the test?

You can always ask for feedback in those situations. Worst they can do is say no.

But if you get honest feedback, you have to be prepared to listen.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 02:50:10 AM »
Sign up to participate in diary studies via Dscout or Mindswarm. Also sign up to be on market research panels in your area to participate in in-home interviews or focus groups. (I do research for a living.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I'll Google those companies and check and see what they can offer me.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »
I taught in Japan for 15 years. It's easy to get started. Just send out a raft of applications and see who responds. Then google the company and see if there are many complaints. There are a few fraudulent companies, but plenty of decent ones.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »
Leapforce:  https://www.leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list;jsessionid=D440D31CE88616CE410E3477E5152D4A

Roughly 10 hours a week min, up to 40 max.  Work your own hours, pay is around $13 an hour, maybe more now.  I used to do this before traveling and enjoyed it.

Thanks. I think I'll look into that and post about how things went.

Well, I did apply for something they were advertising. I guess I'll wait to see if they contact me.

They contacted me, and now they want me to sign some forms. I haven't been offered an interview yet. It was an application to be an internet tester, or something, for a company called Rater Labs.

Yes, they'll send you a big hairy document to study and you'll have to take a series of tests based on the document (at least that's how they used to do it).  Once you pass you'll need to complete a certain number of practice tasks (unpaid) before they let you work more hours. No real interview, they just need to know you can do things the way they want them done. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
If you want to tutor hang signs with your phone number that can be ripped off about your services at the local colleges. My son got a ton of work that way.  He found that by about 3pm his phone would start ringing and he would jump in his car and meet them at the library. Most nights he had steady work until 10 pm.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 05:26:18 AM »
If you want to tutor hang signs with your phone number that can be ripped off about your services at the local colleges. My son got a ton of work that way.  He found that by about 3pm his phone would start ringing and he would jump in his car and meet them at the library. Most nights he had steady work until 10 pm.

Would it work even if I were tutoring younger people? I've seen advertisements at the college where I graduated, but they were of course advertising help to college students.  I don't think I have a skill set fit to tutor the average college student, unless he or she is having trouble with something basic.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »

Would it work even if I were tutoring younger people? I've seen advertisements at the college where I graduated, but they were of course advertising help to college students.  I don't think I have a skill set fit to tutor the average college student, unless he or she is having trouble with something basic.
Then post your signs at local grocery stores, coffee shops, etc.  Bring your own thumb tacks.  Join NextDoor (.com and app) and local facebook groups; post there.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »
I've decided to post in this thread again.

The Coronavirus has caused most of us to put ourselves on lockdown. Now might be a perfect time to find a few online opportunities. What are your suggestions?

Also, I'm on medication now and can think more clearly in some areas. Maybe avenues that I once considered out of reach are actually viable.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
I'm glad to hear you're doing better!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2020, 11:38:29 AM »
Practically every business that can work from home effectively is doing it. I work in IT for a major health insurer, all of my staff WFH. We are also running all of our call centers from home with some fancy call routing software. Take a look at standard postings, many of these have gone wfh and I predict many of them will do so permanently.

The biggest risk is if your job can be done remotely, it can probably be done remotely from overseas. We may see faster offshoring as a result.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2020, 02:21:05 PM »
I like the blog ratracerebellion and the job site FlexJobs.  The former posts different, mostly remote jobs in a ton of different fields.  The latter is like indeed.com or monster, but there's always a remote or flexible aspect to the job.  To see the full postings you need a subscription, but you can get an idea of the types of jobs they're offering for free.  If you're looking for something easy and immediate, there's Appen.com, which doesn't pay great, but has a good number of flexible, easy microtasks to complete for generally around $9 an hour.  So not great for a main job, but good if your bored and want a little extra cash.