Author Topic: Leaving in a few weeks...no luck bidding on South Beach hotels  (Read 3361 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Leaving in a few weeks...no luck bidding on South Beach hotels
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
So I'm about 3 weeks away from a vacation in Miami beach; I usually bid on hotels a few days before my stay but this time I just want to get everything finalized.

Any Priceline experts here? I almost always use them and have good luck, but then again I've never bid out 'this early' before. I've been trying to get a 4 star for either 3 or 5 nights for under $195. No luck yet, and yesterday was my 5th day bidding.

I really wanted a 4.5 star, so I'm kinda leery of going down to a 3.5 star. How much would others go up to for a 4 star nightly rate...?

Maybe I'm just being inpatient and need to give it some more time. I'm just surprised I went up to as high as $183 and nothing has been accepted yet. When does high season officially start there? In October?

Maybe this is a sign I can get a much much better deal somewhere else/some other way....any suggestions??

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Leaving in a few weeks...no luck bidding on South Beach hotels
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »
I used to use bidding for travel for bidding help, but that doesn't appear to have much activity anymore.  There's also better bidding, which has more activity, but I've never used them.

A couple times we've been upgraded to 4* and just weren't comfortable.  Too many hands out, and too many extra charges.  We ended up at the W in Miami once pre-cruise for $100.  Glass wall between the bath and the bedroom, and a "Get Lucky" kit in the honor bar (condoms, lube, and breath mints).  I don't know if all the women in the hotel bar were hookers, or they just looked like it.  Let's just say we didn't fit in.  Nice walk down the beach, though.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »
I've had better luck with Hotwire the last couple of years.  At least look there - it will be in the ball-park of what you can do on Priceline.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
"I've been trying to get a 4 star for either 3 or 5 nights for under $195. No luck yet, and yesterday was my 5th day bidding".

Do you mean $195 per night or $195 total?  If you mean $195 total, you are looking in the wrong location.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
"I've been trying to get a 4 star for either 3 or 5 nights for under $195. No luck yet, and yesterday was my 5th day bidding".

Do you mean $195 per night or $195 total?  If you mean $195 total, you are looking in the wrong location.

$195 per night.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
In addition to priceline and hotwire, check out AirBnB (http://www.airbnb.com/).   It's a great peer-to-peer rental community.  I've only used it once, but was able to get a great condo in Victoria Canada for a fraction of the price of a hotel.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
In addition to priceline and hotwire, check out AirBnB (http://www.airbnb.com/).   It's a great peer-to-peer rental community.  I've only used it once, but was able to get a great condo in Victoria Canada for a fraction of the price of a hotel.
+1  I love AirBnB!  We rent entire apartments (or houses).  It's usually less expensive than a hotel room and a unique experience. 

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
probably the least mustachian place ive ever been, but I love it down there. My hotels were cheaper than that but they were pretty ghetto.