Author Topic: Learning to Code for Dummies  (Read 4302 times)

RobinAZ

• Stubble
Learning to Code for Dummies
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Can someone "in the know" suggest the fastest way to learn to code, and to make that a profitable venture?  Is it something you have to self-teach?  Are there classes?  Books?

I Googled "learn to code" and it was like a wall of crap.  But I did find this one link, for Stanford U on iTunes.  I'd want to write apps for lawyers, seeing as I am 1) a lawyer and 2) recently addicted to the iPhone and iPad my job provided.  :-)  However, the reviewer indicated it went quickly over his head, so I think I really need some super-basic intro material.

http://www.iphonejd.com/iphone_jd/2010/01/learn-to-write-an-app-for-the-iphone.html

I'd appreciate it if someone can save me from swirling all over Google and Amazon.

Thank you!!!!!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Learning to Code for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
Start with http://www.codecademy.com/ ? I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard good things. I don't know anything about learning coding specifically for apps, though.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
I will say this as someone who works in the software security field.

Learning to code is a lot different than learning to develop programs.  There are a lot of code samples out there which are buggy, flawed, and have security issues.  Especially if you are looking to code an application built for attorneys, security is going to be an extremely important issue (I would think client privilege would need to be guaranteed and when you use mobile devices and tablets you need to be aware of caching that occurs on the device leaving things in the clear -- especially when one trades in that device).

I would be happy to discuss somethings with you if you want to send me a PM.

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
I work in software automation, and Insanity is spot on. You always want to adhere to the best practices for the project you're working on. These are what differentiate a developer from a coder.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »
At this point, you want to find some basic tutorials on getting setup with making an iPhone app.

The process is a little longer than, "pick up book, learn to code, sell app with profitable venture!"

allspiritseve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
If you're serious about learning iOS development, you should find a class to attend in your area. I think it's going to be very difficult to teach yourself Objective C if you don't already know another programming language.

Otherwise, I would look into learning some basic HTML / CSS. That's probably the easiest way to get started and actually make some money. There are plenty of people in need of websites that will pay good money for someone to set up a site on SquareSpace or Wordpress.

RobinAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
At this point, you want to find some basic tutorials on getting setup with making an iPhone app.

The process is a little longer than, "pick up book, learn to code, sell app with profitable venture!"

That made me chuckle-- I figured a year or two of effort would provide me with some basic competence.  I should have clarified.  I am a lawyer so I am very comfortable with extended efforts!!