Author Topic: Learning how to meditate  (Read 3826 times)

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
Learning how to meditate
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
I've had mindfulness on my radar for a year or so.

Just wondering if there was any good resources to learn how to do it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Learning how to meditate
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
Yeah, mindfulness and meditation is super trendy right now.  (In fact, I just read an article today talking about how popular it was, how major news outlets are posting slideshows of 7 CEOs who do meditation, etc. etc.)

The app "Headspace" is a good start - 10 days, 10 minute meditations.  Will give you a good introduction.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
Get your hands on any one of Herbert Benson's books. I think it's been 'trendy' since I was in college oh ummmm.....more than 30 years ago. Herbert Benson is a western doctor who takes a relatively non-spiritual approach to mindfulness. You can buy the Kindle version of his old school "The Relaxation Response" for $3.99. Yeah, I suggest buying the book for about the same price as the weekly chicken and corn special at KFC.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
I really enjoy Headspace. It's on my phone and you can access it from computer as well. I've done a lot of their free stuff in the past but finally decided to buy a membership, very good investment for me.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
Yeah, mindfulness and meditation is super trendy right now.  (In fact, I just read an article today talking about how popular it was, how major news outlets are posting slideshows of 7 CEOs who do meditation, etc. etc.)

The app "Headspace" is a good start - 10 days, 10 minute meditations.  Will give you a good introduction.

Hmmm, apparently I had this thought before, as I had the app on my phone already.  LOL.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

Hmmm, apparently I had this thought before, as I had the app on my phone already.  LOL.

lol.

So set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier for the next 10 days (you may need to pick a specific time for the weekend if you don't have an alarm then) and commit to doing it.  It's quite simple to do, you just have to carve out that time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
Check out the resources your library has for mindfulness - if it is anything like mine, there is enough stuff there that you could try a different one each week for a year!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
I like Pema Chodron's advice in _Start Where You Are_.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Raptitude.com has some really great stuff.  I bought his book and really enjoyed it.  He seems to do a good job of explaining weird spiritual concepts in a logical way.

Start here: http://www.raptitude.com/2014/06/inner-peace/