Author Topic: Leakproof tupperware?  (Read 10459 times)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Leakproof tupperware?
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
How do I bring in soup and stews for lunch without half the liquid seeping into the bag?  I use tupperware with both snap on and twist lids but they are not leakproof.  I try to keep the container upright to keep it from leaking.  But I really would love to use something so I don't have to worry.

Thermos would work as they obviously keep liquids in but are a slightly more expensive and bulkier solution.  There are refrigerators and microwaves at work so I don't need to keep my food hot. My stainless steel water bottles are leakproof but the mouths are a bit too small for food.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Leakproof tupperware?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
The glass bowls with snap on lids from IKEA seem pretty leakproof. I have a similar set from aldi that I like even better because they have snap up vents for microwaving.

Also, pint canning jars.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
Reusable food containers are important to me and I have invested a significant amount of time on this topic - LOL! 

For me, the best solutions seem to be the Snapware glass containers and a Hydroflask food jar.  Links are below:

https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-24-Piece-Total-Solution-Storage/dp/B011L4Q15Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491245783&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=snapware+glass&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless/dp/B01ACASUHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491245828&sr=8-1&keywords=hydroflask+food+thermos

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
Also, pint canning jars.

We use Mason jars for soups and similar.  They seem to arrange better in the fridge.  For non-canning purposes, we use reusable plastic lids (not the canning lids/rings).  We've got them from half-pint up to freaking huge.  (Half gallon?)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
I see the snap lid glass containers at stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx but wasn't sure they were actually leakproof.  I've read mixed reviews on these types of containers.  But if they're leakproof, I would buy one as they are under $10.  I don't need a set, one will do.

Yep, I looked through all the thermos on Amazon, if I can, I would like to avoid a $20-40 purchase.  There are some under $20 but they are usually just a bit on the smaller size.  Ideally, I'm looking at about 20oz.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
I have good luck with Talenti ice cream containers.  They are on the expensive side for containers, but they come full of tasty ice cream!  Note that they are not heat resistant. I have a bowl I keep at work to microwave in.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
I just recently bought my first container of Talenti ice cream!  I kept the container too.  Good to know they are leakproof.  It's a little on the small side, but hey, maybe it's an excuse to buy another one.  They are expensive...but a yummy treat.

No worries about heating as I keep a ceramic bowl and lid at the office.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
I use this set.

http://a.co/jdfMLRs

No leakage issues yet, and I carry a lot of soup, etc. to work.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
As I was looking for the Talenti container, I found an old Nalgene bottle in the back of a the cabinet.  I had forgotten about it as I now largely use stainless steel bottles.  It has a wide mouth and is 32 oz big. Will give this a shot.

Always appreciate MMM forum advice/discussions as it usually results in a frugal solution!

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
anything with a rubber seal/gasket in combination with a snap-close lid or a twist-close lid should work. I have a variety from different sources (aldi, menards, amazon, etc) and they all work great with no leaks after many years

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:45 PM »
Ixnay on the Nalgene bottle--the wide mouth wasn't wide enough without me making a mess as I ladled the soup in. I picked up a glass container with a sealed lid for $4 at Marshalls. Passed a spill-proof test as I turned it half full of water upside down over the kitchen sink.  Now I have to worry about smashing the thing to pieces.  Do I have to buy one of those neoprene or padded lunch bags now :D

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
anything with a rubber seal/gasket in combination with a snap-close lid or a twist-close lid should work. I have a variety from different sources (aldi, menards, amazon, etc) and they all work great with no leaks after many years

I have Lock n Lock. No leaks. Screw tops will SAY they don't leak, but they do. Gasket is the way to go.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
leave the soup/stew in a can until you're lunch and then just heat it up in a bowl?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
If I'm using a rubbermaid food storage/tupperware, and I've got liquid in it that I don't want to spill/leak, I'll put a layer of clear wrap over the container before sealing the lid. No leaks. Works EVERY time.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »

I have Lock n Lock. No leaks. Screw tops will SAY they don't leak, but they do. Gasket is the way to go.

Yep, I have plenty of screw top containers--they leak.  Hence coming to MMM forums for some ideas.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
leave the soup/stew in a can until you're lunch and then just heat it up in a bowl?

How dare you?!!  My soup does not come out of a can.

Besides, the cans of soup are already in the office.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »
I use Glasslock exclusively - former roommates had them and they were awesome, so I bought the same when I moved.  I think I've had one leak on me a little bit, though, but typically they do quite well.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
We also use lock and locks.  We originally bought a lot of them around 2009.  They have gradually been wearing out, especially the small round ones.  The rubber gasket needs to come out occasionally for cleaning.  We are sitting at about 80% of our original stock, as weird falls onto a tile floor can cause the plastic to shatter.

We augment with mason jars from fall canning, depending on who is carrying it.  Ok for me, but I'd avoid it for now for the kids.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Wait till the jars of Classico pasta sauce go on sale and buy a couple. Like a mason jar, but the lid is all one piece :)

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
Have had good luck with Popit:

https://www.amazon.com/Popit-Little-Big-Box-Container/dp/B00CMTDVD0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491623100&sr=8-4&keywords=Popit%21

I have only used the plastic version, but I see they have a glass one as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:48:40 PM by Better Late »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
Ixnay on the Nalgene bottle--the wide mouth wasn't wide enough without me making a mess as I ladled the soup in. I picked up a glass container with a sealed lid for $4 at Marshalls. Passed a spill-proof test as I turned it half full of water upside down over the kitchen sink.  Now I have to worry about smashing the thing to pieces.  Do I have to buy one of those neoprene or padded lunch bags now :D

You can usually find a padded lunch bag at the thrift store, and I am always weeding out our collection because they are premiums at so many places. My dh comes home with a new one every time he goes to a conference.

Wrap glass stuff in a cloth napkin or dishtowel. It will double as a nice placemat for your lunch!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
Are your current containers real Tupperware? I've never had real Tupperware leak.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 02:27:48 AM »
Are your current containers real Tupperware? I've never had real Tupperware leak.
This.
Buy actual Tupperware rather than plastic containers. Yes, it is expensive, however it will work and it will last. I got my first two small basic containers 22 years ago. I still use them regularly today. I've bought other plastic containers over the years but the very best of them never lasted more than three or four years, and lots of them were never quite as watertight as they promised.
You could also try a wide-neck flask of the stainless stell, rather than the glass variety. Even if you don't need to bring your food to work already hot, they tend to be pretty reliable in terms of being watertight.

Penelope Vandergast

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Mason jars.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
I use the glass lock lids for all my lunches. They are durable, aren't plastic and last me about 5 years. Not too shabby.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
This.
Buy actual Tupperware rather than plastic containers. Yes, it is expensive, however it will work and it will last. I got my first two small basic containers 22 years ago. I still use them regularly today. I've bought other plastic containers over the years but the very best of them never lasted more than three or four years, and lots of them were never quite as watertight as they promised.
You could also try a wide-neck flask of the stainless stell, rather than the glass variety. Even if you don't need to bring your food to work already hot, they tend to be pretty reliable in terms of being watertight.

I hear the new stuff is not nearly as good. My mom wanted to refresh her stash and said it was so thin and cheaper-feeling, she thought she had accidentally bought fakes.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »
This.

I hear the new stuff is not nearly as good. My mom wanted to refresh her stash and said it was so thin and cheaper-feeling, she thought she had accidentally bought fakes.
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that. It has been a year or two since I've been to a party.  I will admit to not liking the new lids (like the ones on these), although the US site doesn't seem to have those ones, so that might just be a European thing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!