Author Topic: Layoff & job Search  (Read 3668 times)

cj25

• Stubble
Layoff & job Search
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
So DH got laid off on Monday.  Effective immediately.  We knew it would come eventually just not expecting it this week.  His whole office is being let go.  We have a decent amount of severance & vacation payout.  We don't have a stash and we still have debt so payoff will have to be put on hold for the time being. 

We are considering this time as an option to move to another area if he can find a job, especially since our nearby area doesn't have many job options for him without a couple hour commute.  But we're just not sure where to consider.  Hoping maybe some of you might have some suggestions.

He's a Software Developer/Software Engineer whatever you want to call it.  So we need somewhere with tech or related industry.  Anyone know any good solid companies hiring?  I'm in accounting so I can do that almost anywhere.

Things we'd like in a place to move to...  We like to be outside - green, mountains, rivers, lakes, ocean.  Preferably somewhere with seasons, not just sunny and hot all year. Not too big of a city (or if a city, somewhere to live outside with a decent commute).  Don't care about arts or museums really.  Definitely need somewhere with access to farmers and real food & alternative medicine.  Long term what we'd like to achieve is a place to live where we can have a it bit of land for chickens & goats, where we can live on one income or me working part time or at least having the option to pursue a career that may pay less. 

Obviously we may not have options for exactly what we want, but just need more ideas of where to look. Any ideas??? 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Layoff & job Search
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about the layoff. Seattle is #1 for software engineering salaries after adjusting for cost of living. We have lots of companies hiring.

We have lots of green, with mountains, rivers, lakes, ocean nearby. We have seasons, just not so much snow most years. Lots of local food available. If you want a more semi-rural living situation that is available. If you go for that, you'll probably want to find a job in one of the suburbs east of Lake Washington. Microsoft is headquartered out that way, and several other companies have engineering offices on that side of the lake. The commute all the way into Seattle proper would probably be pretty hellish, but to the eastern suburbs wouldn't be too terrible.

Good luck with your job search!

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »
The job market is really good for accountants and IT in Salt Lake right now. Even better a little south in Lehi/Provo area but the mormon culture is much stronger. Utah has most of your list except green and oceans. Desert living and Utah's insular culture takes some getting used to, but there are lots of transplants the closer to SLC you get.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about the layoff. Seattle is #1 for software engineering salaries after adjusting for cost of living. We have lots of companies hiring.

We have lots of green, with mountains, rivers, lakes, ocean nearby. We have seasons, just not so much snow most years. Lots of local food available. If you want a more semi-rural living situation that is available. If you go for that, you'll probably want to find a job in one of the suburbs east of Lake Washington. Microsoft is headquartered out that way, and several other companies have engineering offices on that side of the lake. The commute all the way into Seattle proper would probably be pretty hellish, but to the eastern suburbs wouldn't be too terrible.

Good luck with your job search!

+1.  Sorry to hear about the layoff.  Lots to love in the Pacific Northwest.  Four seasons.  Great cultural & natural life.  Seattle, Portland, Vancouver.  Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Expedia, Facebook - all the big names have work here.  Also major telecoms AT&T and T-Mobile.  Best of luck wherever you end up.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
The job market is really good for accountants and IT in Salt Lake right now. Even better a little south in Lehi/Provo area but the mormon culture is much stronger. Utah has most of your list except green and oceans. Desert living and Utah's insular culture takes some getting used to, but there are lots of transplants the closer to SLC you get.

I'm with Bognish.  Utah is getting more and more IT tech companies all the time.  Most of them seem to be along I-15 between American Fork/Pleasant Grove down to Payson.  You would be able to find almost any type of neighborhood you feel comfortable in.  The mountains and canyons are close for hiking, camping, skiing, etc.  The most challenging part will be living in the middle of the Mormon culture.  Having grown up there I can tell you most people are okay but you have to know and understand the culture because it's pretty quirky.  School generally tend to do okay even though they are underfunded and taxes are not too bad.  Housing prices vary depending on the area.  Good luck on your search.

ekimatuan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
I have to +1 the Salt Lake area. Lots of outdoor activities. Still lots of small town feel, especially in the Utah County towns. Its possible in many areas to have a bit of land and do gardening, chickens, etc.

It isn't a perfect place for everybody, but we've loved living here the last 10 years after moving from the L.A. area.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »
Denver/Boulder
Utah
Seattle/Portland

I have recruited software engineering executives for the last 20 years.  If I could be reborn I would do it as a SWE or Product Manager and live in Denver/Boulder or Utah.  I lived in Seattle for 30 years so I checked that box already.