Author Topic: Laundry Problem  (Read 8353 times)

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
Laundry Problem
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
I would like to be able to wash rags, little kid socks and underwear, and other small items in mesh bags in my laundry machine. Left on their own, small pieces of cloth will jam the drainage on the washing machine. I bought some small mesh purpose built laundry bags on Amazon and they disintegrated. Any recommendations for a better approach? Thanks!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Laundry Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »
Mesh fabric is easily purchased. With very basic sewing skills, you can make your own. Or hire a local individual to.

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Could something like this work for you? http://www.dogundermydesk.com/2013/03/mesh-lingerie-bags-tutorial/

Not sure how the balancing of your brood fits with sewing projects, however!

For years I've been meaning to sew up some zippered laundry bags for undergarments and other small things. It would make it much easier to ensure that line-dry stuff made it to the rack before everything gets dumped in the dryer. With some practice, these bags or something similar would make great presents for my sisters and aunties! Perhaps this will be the year...

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
Hi Mbot and Chipmunk,
Thanks for responding. What strength of fabric would serve cold water cycles in washing machines? The bags I purchased before for rag washing were a fairly heavy mesh.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »
I tried using mesh lingerie bags, but the baby socks just didn't get clean or dry.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
I bought one for a few dollars, I believe made by Tide, at Target five or six years ago. I wash it nearly every week, and it is holding up fine. Look for lingerie bags.

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »
re: what type of mesh? I think any decent fabric store will have loads of options; I'd just ask. If I decide to do this I'll post photos!

The key to getting things in the bag clean is not to over-fill it. I'm thinking using several bags would be nice...you could pre-sort as you load to make folding easier.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
You might even try putting in a pillow case and knotting the opening.  If you try DON'T over stuff.  It needs room to move around.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
I picked up mesh lingerie bags with zippers at Dollar Tree years ago.  The worked well until the zippers began failing after a few years.  I got a set of slightly larger drawstring bags that I'm currently using.  I think the zip ones were two to a set, and the drawstring ones may have been 4 - 6 in a set.  A few of the drawstring ones have developed a weak spot/slit, which I should mend, but those still work for bulky items I want to protect like sweaters, and I just use an intact one for little kids' socks or lingerie.

MamaFootball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fun and Games in the Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
If you save those plastic mesh bags that onions or fruit come in, they work just fine in the washer. I just tie and untie. I don't use the dryer, so I'm not sure whether they melt or not.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
If you can find a pillow case/protector that zips, these tend to work well with lightly soiled small items.  I have a fancypants one from Crate and Barrel but it has been going strong for over 5 years now.

I'm washing baby socks and other small items in these now and they have been great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAKHQDW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
Something to keep in mind when looking at mesh bags is if you are washing bras with them then you need to make sure the mesh pattern is not too large.  I fairly recently bought a mesh bag for which the hooks of bras would get stuck in it far too much making it difficult to get them out of it.

Otherwise personally I simply purchased one from an equivalent to Target in the US.  The one where the mesh was to big was purchased from a 2 dollar shop.  The current one seems to be made out of polyester.  I can't comment on longevity as I think I purchased it sometime this year and I only use it about once a week.

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 04:15:47 PM »
I bought one for a few dollars, I believe made by Tide, at Target five or six years ago. I wash it nearly every week, and it is holding up fine. Look for lingerie bags.
Me too. 

BrooklineBiker

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
Thanks everyone this is really helpful! You are saving me from a return to an expensive paper towel habit.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
Weird. Must be something specific to your laundry machine, because I've never had that issue.

As far as the bras go, I simply hook them closed before washing. They rarely unhook and snag anything.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 03:22:06 AM »
I appreciate that in the US, washing machines are different from what we are more used to in Europe, but apparently one of the most common items that washing machine engineers find caught between the inner and outer drum on a front-loading machine is the wire from an under-wired bra.  Makes the most horrendous noise on spin-cycle but not strong enough to actually stop the machine.

spruce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 05:21:31 AM »
Ditto on the Target lingerie bag. I bought one years ago, use it weekly in the washer and dryer, and have had no problems with the mesh or the zipper. It's a great way to make sure all your socks stay together!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I like the very fine mesh ones for bras.  They tend to be more expensive.   Not only do hooks snag in coarser mesh bags, but they can still put tiny holes in other clothes.    I have bought the dollar store ones for washing raw fleece, and they are getting a workout - no agitation, but repeated temperatures above 150F.  So far so good.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
I used to work at Nordstrom and bought a some there during the Anniversary Sale. They have held up extremely well (10+ years). Recently, I found some of the same type at an estate sale. Score! I have purchased less expensive bags, but they have not held up. Also, washing bras and other small items this way makes the washed items last longer, which quickly pays back the initial cost of the lingerie bags and them some.

Goblinchief, if you hook 'em, bag 'em, and line dry them, you will easily double their life expectancy. Those babies ain't cheap!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!