Author Topic: Latest Most un-Mustachian Ad Campaign?  (Read 2351 times)

High FIdelity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Latest Most un-Mustachian Ad Campaign?
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/clever-seamless-campaign-uses-witty-one-liners-tap-how-new-yorkers-eat-166975

The latest and greatest in the NYC Subway system.  Please spend your hard earned cash on a $15+ meal instead of cooking on your own and reaping yearly savings in the thousands.  you're too good for that.

Anyone else see this?  I laugh because it is probably as successful as the article mentions and considering the insane rates that people already pay to live in the NYC area, people will simply dig themselves in an even bigger hole that they currently find themselves and the worst part is, they only feel it in the general sense that money is tight, but they cant see the forest for the trees.

While I treat myself to the occasional meal out or on the street, I'm cooking all the time for breakfast, lunch and dinner and probably have my food costs a day down to $7-8 while I watch my coworkers spend $15+ on a day.....on lunch alone.  Again, people do this reflexively without seeing the long game.

Any else seen this or any other terrible advertising consigning those who fall prey to more unneccesary years behind a desk?

2dogs0kids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Latest Most un-Mustachian Ad Campaign?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
You're doing a great job finding inexpensive groceries in NYC if you are only spending $7-8 / day!  Go you!

When I lived there 8 years ago, I was so frustrated by how expensive Food Emporium was compared to any regular grocery store in the rest of the country....  It made me nuts!  Gristedes only very slightly better and a significantly longer walk for me, so challenging if I was "stocking up" at all or buying anything frozen or liquid.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
Okay, jumped to that article and thought it was fun. And then I saw this. Wow. If you're at work and have the time (hee), watch the "making of" video. More wow.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-remarkable-makeup-ad-high-school-girls-has-one-hell-twist-167710

Personally, I think of this as a related topic, because one must eat, but make-up is, IMO, 100% optional.

High FIdelity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:12:34 AM »
You're doing a great job finding inexpensive groceries in NYC if you are only spending $7-8 / day!  Go you!

When I lived there 8 years ago, I was so frustrated by how expensive Food Emporium was compared to any regular grocery store in the rest of the country....  It made me nuts!  Gristedes only very slightly better and a significantly longer walk for me, so challenging if I was "stocking up" at all or buying anything frozen or liquid.

Its more doing all the cooking myself.  Eggs/oatmeal for breakfast, chicken/potato for lunch, lentil soup/veggies, assorted other carb for dinner + small snacks throughout the day.  Its actually fairly easy.  I could probably cut it down a touch more price-wise if I went to specific stores for specific food items, but there is only so 'crazy' I can go. The main point is that you can fall prey to taking the 'easy' way out and spend $20+ a day on food and then wonder why you can'y afford x/y, or you can do it on your own and truly control costs much in the same way you can do your best to control rate of savings.  Most other things are out of our control which is why reserves are important to weather the situations in life that come from 'nowhere' to affect us.

In my example, learning to cook even 1/2 way decently and actually having the mental fortitude to do so on a regular basis will literally save you thousands each year.  I just have this Seamless ad campaign in my face every AM subway commute and it annoys me knowing that its likely very successful while at the same time dooming many to extra years behind a desk because they pawn off something super easy to do for the quick fix.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:15:44 AM by katzeroo »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!