Author Topic: Last minute flying...any advice/tips?  (Read 2796 times)

RMD

• Stubble
Last minute flying...any advice/tips?
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
My uncle lives in FL and broke his hip...which has resulted in a blood clot in his lung.  Things are very touch and go at the moment.  I am debating making a flight.  Any thoughts as to how you know when to go, what your limits are, tips on keeping things from being crazy expensive, etc...?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Last minute flying...any advice/tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
Dont have any experience with knowing when to go but as far as prices go hipmonk.com is a great comparison tool but does not include some carriers like Southwest.  Some airlines have got rid of bereavement fairs might be worth researching who does what if things are that bad.  Sorry for your difficult times.  I assume driving is out of the question?  If you need to rent a car I have had good luck with getting cheap ones from SIXT.  Also if you book a flight then miss any leg of that trip the remainder of your booking will be canceled, if things get dynamic best to call the airline.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
The drive from KS to FL (and back) is a bit out of scope as I'd also like to minimize time off work and would be making the drive solo since DS is in school and DH likely wouldn't be able to get the time off at short notice. 

I'll check hipmonk.com and see where that gets me. Thanks! 

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
I use matrix.itasoftware.com which was bought by google so you can use their airfare page as well.  Lets you search with a lot of flexibility, but doesn't check southwest so look there too.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
It's pretty crappy service, but Spirit Airlines got my girlfriend and her sister to and from Phoenix (from Chicago) with four hours notice (literally bought the tickets and then left for the airport) for around $700 total a bit over a year ago when their grandmother took a turn for the worst.  Any other option was at LEAST $400/person each way (so $1600 total).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!