Author Topic: Lasik  (Read 18761 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lasik
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 06:29:08 AM »
Has anyone done the permanently inserted contact lenses right over your corneas (aka Implantable contact lenses)? That's what I intend to do, within another 10 years or so.

Are you talking about anterior chamber lens implants? My husband had his done, (by the best opthamologic surgeon in the area) and it was great for around fifteen years. Then he developed bullar keratopathy in one eye. (Cloudy cornea.) The doctor said it was just a result of the manipulation of the eye years ago. The fix would have been a corneal transplant, which my husband was not interested in pursuing. A couple of eye drops helped with comfort, but didn't improve the vision. Vision in the other eye continued to be fine. Vision in the affected eye deteriorated to where he could only see the big E on the eye chart. No pain, but he complained a lot that it felt like "something is in my eye" in the affected eye.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 06:34:14 AM »
My daughter had LASIK in her 20s, paid for by her dad. (We are divorced--I was not involved.) She was one of those blind-as-a-bat kids, so I would have said she seemed like a good candidate. The perfect visual acuity allowed her to pass the physical for the good federal job she has. However, she has low night vision and sees halos around things at night. So a mixed bag.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
Someone asked what went wrong with the person I knew & as it was a number of years ago I actually don't remember.  My Mom had cataract surgery on 1 eye & although the doc was highly rated & had done a ton he screwed up her eye. She had pain that she never had before & could no longer drive at night. She never got the other one done.  There is a certain amount of risk to everything & personally I would not take the risk with my eyesight no matter how small.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!