Author Topic: Landlord/Renter Question  (Read 2925 times)

LAL

• Stubble
Landlord/Renter Question
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:50:44 AM »
So we have a problem that something is lose behind the wall of my daughters room and kid's bathroom. It is likely the exhaust duct vent has disintegrated or something. it can't be fixed on from the roof or attic.

Our property manager had his handyman come and look and say that to fix it we'd have to cut open the walls. I want them to do this.  The rattling noise is LOUD!  I called them immediately and waited a week for them to come out.

Now the PM says it's a lot of money and work to do it. They don't want to do it.  Can I make them do it?  What are my options?

Is it a fire hazard?  If we owned DH would cut open the wall himself and take a look.  But it's not our house and we rent.  But my PM is ridiculous.  DH fixed an electrical outlet in our kitchen because it took him 3 weeks and he never came.  It took a month to replace the microwave above the stove.

It took almost a month to fix the wiring outside our house that wasn't working (he had to hire an electrician) after he came and couldn't do it.  We had a leaking sink and DH tightened the joints himself but if it went further I would have bet it would have taken longer.

Is there a reasonable amount of time he should get back to me and fix this issue? Or if they refuse to fix it?

Vagabond76

• Stubble
Re: Landlord/Renter Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
Send the property manager a letter notifying him of your intent to hire your own repairman and deduct the cost from the next rent payment.  Inform him that he has two weeks to make all the repairs to your satisfaction.  If it is not fixed within two weeks, get your own person out and deduct the costs from the next month's rent.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:23:09 AM »
Send the property manager a letter notifying him of your intent to hire your own repairman and deduct the cost from the next rent payment.  Inform him that he has two weeks to make all the repairs to your satisfaction.  If it is not fixed within two weeks, get your own person out and deduct the costs from the next month's rent.
This sounds reasonable.  I'd add that the noise is disrupting your child's sleep. 

CareCPA

• Bristles
    • Care CPA - Tax, Accounting and Payroll
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »

I would find this reasonable, however, your landlord/PM does not seem to want to make repairs that aren't necessary. Make sure before you do this that it's allowed (some states, I believe, this can only be done if this unit is uninhabitable - the definition of which I do not know off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's not subjective). Otherwise you risk a long and expensive legal battle.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »

I would see what the Landlord/Tenant laws in your jurisdiction allow. In my state, this would not be appropriate and you may risk late fees for not paying rent in full, and possibly eviction.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »

I would see what the Landlord/Tenant laws in your jurisdiction allow. In my state, this would not be appropriate and you may risk late fees for not paying rent in full, and possibly eviction.

+1

Go to your local municipal tenants' rights office (or whatever it's called in your town/county, whatever...) to find out exactly what your rights are and how to go about LEGALLY forcing your landlord to remedy the situation.  You have to follow the law and document EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING.   When your landlord realizes your are documenting everything, he will likely comply.

LAL

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
It took them awhile and I sent an email saying I'd be following with a letter requesting the repair.  And then they called back and said they would do it and did recently.  Now onto a few other problems.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!