Author Topic: Landlord trying to charge me for flooring issue (pic)  (Read 7908 times)

BuckeyeFinance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Landlord trying to charge me for flooring issue (pic)
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
This is in a bedroom closet. The issue definitely occurred while I was living at the property but I have no idea why. The floor appears to be bubbling on the surface. There was an exercise ball resting on this spot until it was discovered. There was nothing spilled in this area while I lived there. Could this be related to poor installation? I know that the landlord installed the flooring himself and that it is a cheap quality flooring. He claims they don't sell the flooring anymore so he will have to replace the whole closet floor and the trim/transitions. He says $200. In your opinion, should I be accountable for this?

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Landlord trying to charge me for flooring issue (pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »
Doesn't look like it could be related to installation.  Honestly the weird pattern that the bubbling is in looks like it could have been where the exercise ball contacted the floor.  Not sure what would cause that reaction, just something about the two materials in contact.  Still the damage is pretty minor, I don't think it justifies replacing the entire floor.  Especially because it's in a closet.  Just chock it up to wear and tear.  I seriously doubt any potential tenant would demand the closet floor be fixed.  Also, less cheap flooring may be less likely to be damaged by contact with an exercise ball.   Maybe tell him you'll give him $50 for the greater than usual wear and tear.  It's no worse than a carpet stain, and that doesn't justify replacing a whole carpet.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
It's in a closet.  I would think that he can match those five boards or so fairly closely and it wouldn't cost that much.  I am surprised that he doesn't have the extra flooring laying around somewhere. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
There was no reason for you to think that storing the ball there would harm the floor. I would offer $25 to start with to make it go away.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
Honestly in the photo it looks like damage to the FINISH not the boards.  A light sanding and a couple of coats of varnish and it should look good as new....at least good enough for a closet!  I wouldn't think there should be any charge for this light of damage....to me it looks like normal wear and tear and I would not dock a security deposit for the "work" involved in fixing it up.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
My daughter had a cheap plastic hopping ball toy made of a similar material to an exercise ball, and one hot humid summer day it just melted on top of my dresser. Left similar looking marks, but it was basically a surface 'goo' that hardened. I was able to scrape off most of the goo with only a little damage to the finish of the wood (though it was visible). Maybe that's what happened? If so, maybe there's a way to remove the plastic cleaner than I did?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
Yucky

Sorry can't be of more help.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:06 AM »
$200 sounds a bit high to sand and varnish/stain the area, but if its not something that you can do, then it probably costs that to hire it out to the contractor.  Looks like a chemical reaction between the varnish and the plastic ball

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 05:14:26 AM »
I think it looks like cheap-ass click laminate and the paper has separated from the backerboard. If that is the case, find a handy friend, price out a box of flooring and get your landlord's nod for you to DIY it - tell him its something you always to learn.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
Looks like a reaction between the laminate surface of the flooring and the ball material.  While you couldn't have thought it would happen, you are responsible.  To fix it, all the floor has to be removed, since it clicks together in a certain way.  The amount to fix doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
If he's being a real jerk about it, I might ask to see the receipt for the flooring.  If it's from Lumber Liquidators, it could be one of the flooring types that never passed US requirements due to higher formaldehyde levels.  It could be that the flooring itself is defective, or you could at least make the argument.   You may have a countersuit if he charged you to live in a home with substandard flooring that released toxic chemicals throughout your stay. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
I had this same thing happen to a dresser when we had a toy car sitting on it (rubber wheels). The furniture was brand new and they sent a repair guy out to try to fix the finish, and he said that some top coats/varnishes react to rubber/plastics, and will eat through the finish. It is just the top coat, however and it does no damage to the wood underneath.

The exercise ball probably is the culprit, but you had no way of knowing as this is NOT common knowledge. I don't know that you should be held accountable as a floor should not degrade or break down from sitting a normal everyday object on it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »
Honestly in the photo it looks like damage to the FINISH not the boards.

It looks like a vinyl cover over a cheap wood.
The vinyl has bubbled.
The material in the ball caused acted like a solvent to the vinyl and made it bubble.
That's my story and I'll stick to it until the OP says they can't push the bubbles down
with just a little finger pressure.
 Find a piece of used carpet and carpet the closet, call it an enhancement.

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
I am a landlord. I would dry to sand in with an orbital sander, match the the stain (looks like it may have no stain) and poly it. I would charge you the cost of the stain/poly, and 2 hours of my time at $30 an hour - so probably about $80. If its laminate and has to me replaced - I would charge what another box of laminate costs ~$50 and 3 hours of my time so $140ish.

It doesn't matter that you didn't mean to cause the damage. This is the same situation if you had left weights under your couch and rust stains the carpet, you would have to pay for that too. 

Mntngoat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »
As a finish carpenter  I'll tell you that's the  finish lifting.  Only thing that would cause that would be a solvent.   The flooring has a water based finish it on likely.

ML