Author Topic: Laminate or Vinyl or others?  (Read 4999 times)

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Laminate or Vinyl or others?
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
Hello,

I've currently got some real cheap flooring in my place we have a dog and the flooring is so soft and SH*T that it scratches from everything. Looking to re-do I can't find something to point my which way to go with new flooring.

Basics:
Never done flooring so easier the better
Have a big dog, GF wants another...has to be relatively dog proof/resistant
Try to keep costs low but I know high costs better quality and such
Multiple rooms(whole upstairs except bath rooms) with same flooring should I keep with the constant design, is there something that may look better?
What tools should I be getting together to use? I have most unpowered hand tools never had to do a project like this so I'm missing most cutting powered tools.

There's a lot on the web so I'm hoping to go for some actual experience from someone here who may have better input.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:06:44 AM by Mattzlaff »

Guava

• Stubble
Re: Laminate or Vinyl or others?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
I have a higher quality vinyl plank flooring in a rental that has had dogs of all sizes in it and it has held up well. I have never really noticed any scratches from the dogs. I have the same floor in my house and installed it myself and it was very to install. There were two tools I needed to purchase from the hardware store and the instructions said to cut the floor with tin snips but we found our miter saw to be much easier. The biggest thing when installing a laminate or vinyl plank floor is to have patience and read the instructions and tips. The tongue/groove on the vinyl was easy to break if we weren't paying close attention.

leftcoastenvy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
We have laminate flooring in our house. In our old house, we had real wood and it was so scratched from the dogs and kids. This floor has held up so well and I haven't noticed any scratches in it yet. It is made to look rustic anyway. Whenever people come to our house, they think our floors are real wood or actual claimed barn wood.

We got this kind in historic oak- charcoal.  http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Laminate/Restoration-Collection/Historic-Oak/22102

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
I put a laminate in my house that is actually a formica product so it is extra durable.  I've loved it.  My sister did real wood and she is all the time on her kids about not scratching the floor.   I had a friend put in vinyl plank flooring and she loves it also.  At times her husband uses a wheelchair and she needed something that allowed the chair to roll easily.  I'd look at both of those products and find one that suits your needs.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
We put laminate in all the non-wet areas of the house, primarily because the cats' claws seemed to scratch everything else. It still looks good after a year of cat chases.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
We have used both laminate and vinyl and they both l looked good and did not scratch. WE put the vinyl in the rooms that get wet such as kitchen and baths.  It is pergo brand and looks like wood.

zoltani

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »
I too have had good luck with the vinyl click lock plank and tile flooring. Cheap and easy to install, as long as you don't go for the glue down.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
What about ceramic tile? It is often inexpensive (Home Depot usually has some neutral colored tiles for about $1 sq ft) and is a DIY type job w/ some effort. Very durable.

Otherwise best quality vinyl or laminate type tile and do all the right prep so that it adheres properly. (Take off all the old flooring, make sure you prep and level the floor correctly, etc.)

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 07:11:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone.

For people who have done both, what would you prefer? The vinyl or the laminate? How was the install comparing the two? Or the difference in quality?

I looked at ceramic tile but I think to do my main floor, which is an open concept bungalow it would be a little too much and might end up not looking that great.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
Why don't you look at lock and click bamboo flooring?  If you look around, it can be inexpensive, holds up well, easy to install, and in my opinion, looks better than laminate or vinyl.

I've installed all 3 and I hate installing laminate.  I find it too finicky to get perfect.

Whatever you do install, please do your best to make it professional.  Pull the base molding, undercut the door jambs, stagger the joints to avoid a "stair" look, and make sure you follow the manufacturer instructions on overhang of joints and minimum length of pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 12:01:02 AM »
I've seen Bamboo around while doing my search and some things say it fades a lot quicker. Wont all types of flooring have the same issues with undercutting/stair look and molding things?

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 12:04:59 AM »
i have something called allure from home depot canada.  it is a vinyl plank that has preglued edges that go together.  i have some of the stone tile ones and people have mistaken it for real tile.  https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.tile-yukon-brown-24--sqftcase.1000690361.html

fantastic to put down.  its like doing lego.  all you need is a measuring tape, marker, utility knife and a straight edge/square.  a jigsaw can be handy at times too. 
5 or 6 years no issues with it yet even in high traffic areas.  no dogs but the stuff is super tough, you'll see when you're trying to cut it.  to really make a dent in it you have to try way way too hard i find.  even spots at the table with the chair legs are in good shape and not showing wear

i would not hesitate to use it again and again.  the color choices have done nothing but get better in the last 5 years

I also did laminate flooring.  i like it too.i notice now it has a few gaps when it gets dry in winter, and i've chipped a few spots on it you can see.  i had a harder time laying it. especially doing closets. dusty cutting, and had to get a better cutting blade/mitre saw for it which kind of sucked

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 01:28:36 AM »
I'll look into the allure as Home depot will be my likely shopping place I too am from Canada

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 06:06:00 AM »
I used vinyl planks in my last house (Mannington) it was awesome. I loved that flooring so much. I had three dog and multiple cats and there was never a scratch. I have real wood floors in my current home and they are torn up pretty bad.

If you get a higher end vinyl, I think it looks really good (beveled edges really helps).

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »

I've seen Bamboo around while doing my search and some things say it fades a lot quicker. Wont all types of flooring have the same issues with undercutting/stair look and molding things?

Yes. All flooring will need to have the installation done that way. I see shortcuts taken most often with laminate and vinyl though, especially with flips and rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »
Most vinyl flooring is made with large amounts of pthalates a known extremely strong endocrine disruptor.  That dust that accumulates on vinyl flooring is thought to contain large amounts of pthalates.  We went with linoleum made from flax seed and couldnt be happier with durability and quality,

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
I'm about to replace some flooring in my house, and I'm probably going with Luxury Vinyl Tile.  It's similar to vinyl flooring but looks more real. 

One comment on ceramic tile, which was mentioned above.  I'm in my upper 40s, and I'm having problems with Plantar Fasciitis (a very common foot problem).  Standing up on tile at work makes a huge (and negative) difference to me.  I can only imagine that it will make an even bigger difference as I age. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!