Author Topic: Ladystache hair color  (Read 6095 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Ladystache hair color
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
So I have not colored my hair for 18 months, and I've been vacillating the whole time about whether I should leave it alone or put the color back in. I'll be honest and say that it is the "good" kind of gray hair--it's not really gray, it's silver, and suits my coloring and goes with all my clothes and jewelry. (Such as I have--I'm into minimalism.) I've pretty much decided to leave it silver and grow it out long enough so I can cut it myself as others have posted. My question: Some of the shampoos and conditioners for silver hair look interesting, but the cost of some of the well-reviewed products is anti-Mustachian. Any suggestions as to what Ladystaches use to enhance their gray/silver/white hair?

SondraRose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Ladystache hair color
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »
I wash mine with just warm water to keep it from drying out and only shampoo twice a month.  I also wear a hat in the sun to prevent "yellowing".  Working great so far.

I am using a lanolin-based molding paste made by Modern Organic Products while it is still short, but I probably won't need to use it once it is down to my shoulders again.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
When I was platinum, I used a violet shampoo available at Sally's.  I purchased all my hair colors, dye-specific shampoo, conditioner etc from Sally's.  I found it to be better quality than the drug store, but not ridiculously expensive.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
I' m with SondraRose - I don't use any special products.  I generally wash my hair with water, give it a very diluted (1T cider vinegar/2 cups water) rinse, and maybe once a week or so, give it a scrub with a diluted baking soda solution.  I've done this for years, and my salt/pepper (more salt than pepper these days!) hair seems to do fine with it.  Stays curly and shiny.  If it feels a little dry, I floof it up with a little water and give it a hand rub or two of coconut oil.  I hope you can stay dye-free -- the simplicity of it is its own reward, and most people look pretty good in their natural color. 

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »
You don't have to use those shampoos every time you shampoo. You could switch it up with a less expensive brand you like every other time. Those shampoos really do make a difference to silver/grey hair. Also I have found I use less shampoo if I make sure that my hair is very wet before I begin lathering. I shampoo my hair at the end of my shower so my hair has had a while to get good and wet and I find I only need about a quarter size dollop of shampoo to get my past shoulder length hair clean.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
Thanks, all. My mother had the same kind of silver hair, and I know that she used nothing but ordinary drugstore shampoos, not formulated for gray hair, and her hair looked fine. It never turned yellowish from sun or air pollution or anything. For the past year I've been shampooing a couple times a week either with a 99cents drugstore shampoo (Suave--the one that says "tea therapy"), or with a Neem leaf shampoo I bought on Amazon when I was fighting off poison ivy. It is organic and free of parabens, sulfates, and gluten. My hair seems to look the same no matter which one I use (one is in upstairs shower, the other in downstairs shower). I have some Suave conditioner, but don't bother putting it on, as with no dye in my hair it combs out easily and seems shiny enough. I usually just let my hair air dry--fluff it around a little with my fingers. So far so good--I may check out Sally's, as there is one very close to us--if I buy silver hair shampoo on an experimental basis, using my old stuff to wash lingerie or whatever--I will report back.  I don't mind looking my age, but want to look good--not dowdy or frumpy--but kind of individual, artsy, creative--without going over the top, or looking like some "aging hippy" stereotype. OK, TMI. But thanks for listening.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:05:14 PM »

Thanks, all. My mother had the same kind of silver hair, and I know that she used nothing but ordinary drugstore shampoos, not formulated for gray hair, and her hair looked fine. It never turned yellowish from sun or air pollution or anything. For the past year I've been shampooing a couple times a week either with a 99cents drugstore shampoo (Suave--the one that says "tea therapy"), or with a Neem leaf shampoo I bought on Amazon when I was fighting off poison ivy. It is organic and free of parabens, sulfates, and gluten. My hair seems to look the same no matter which one I use (one is in upstairs shower, the other in downstairs shower). I have some Suave conditioner, but don't bother putting it on, as with no dye in my hair it combs out easily and seems shiny enough. I usually just let my hair air dry--fluff it around a little with my fingers. So far so good--I may check out Sally's, as there is one very close to us--if I buy silver hair shampoo on an experimental basis, using my old stuff to wash lingerie or whatever--I will report back.  I don't mind looking my age, but want to look good--not dowdy or frumpy--but kind of individual, artsy, creative--without going over the top, or looking like some "aging hippy" stereotype. OK, TMI. But thanks for listening.

I'm a research nerd sometimes and I read extensively on the longhair forums. Suave was highly recommended due to the ingredients and awesome price! So... I love Suave! It is so good to my hair. Probably you don't need conditioner, or if you do - only on the ends of your hair.

I loooooove a nice silver grey colour. Rock it. Own it. I bet you look fabulous :) I used to love spending money on my hair, but luckily I eventually realized that the cheap way can look great too. Sounds like you've got it going on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
Suave is popular: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37832

I got a few at superstore/loblaws for $1 each! But I haven't been able to find them lately :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
If you do notice yellowing, a few drops of bluing in the rise water will fix you up.

Mrs. Stewart's seem to be the only brand made any more:

http://mrsstewart.com/where-to-find-msb/

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
Thanks, I'll update this thread as needed. I just trimmed my hair myself, and it looks great….but that's for another thread, I guess.  : D

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
Oops, I'm using VO5 shampoo with the tea in it, not Suave. But I've used Suave a lot, too.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
I stopped coloring my hair over 3 years ago and would not imagine going back.  I feel that my natural color suits me best (I am probably about 60% gray at this point).  I don't really use anything special to enhance the grays.  I bought a bottle of violet shampoo and conditioner at Sally's when I was growing out the old color and I still have some of it - I don't think it makes any difference in my hair color and I don't like the smell of it so I rarely use it.  Most of the time I use Suave or whatever else I find on sale.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »
OK, full disclosure…I was tempted by several reviews throughout the Net to try an expensive shampoo and conditioner for silver hair. (Davines--total cost was around $52.) I have used it three times, following instructions carefully. It does not make a bit of difference in my hair color, other than to give it a very subtle, odd brownish tint, that goes away after a couple of showers when I soak my hair throughly under the spray. It does not add shine, softness, or smoothness. It has an odd, metallic smell--not objectionable, but kind of weird.

So today I got out my Albert VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage Tea Revitalizing Shampoo, and the VO5 Tea Therapy Nourishing Conditioner--Calming Chamomile Tea. As Ladystache's know, these products are around a dollar apiece. I washed and conditioned my hair, and 1. The silver color is noticeably enhanced. 2. Hair is noticeably soft, shiny, and smooth without being flat-looking. It has a body and a fluffiness when brushed.3. There is no smell at all.

I feel embarrassed about wasting money, but the Davines did get my hair clean, if nothing else,  and the shampoo and conditioner are a pretty purple color. So while I'd rather not have a Facepunch, feel free to give me a good shake for stupidity and being gulled by consumerism.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!