Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140090 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #300 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
I just wanted to report that I cut my hair this morning.  I was motivated by the price jumped from $45+tip/cut to $75+tip/cut over the past two years. I used a pair of scissors that came in a dog grooming kit.  I watched a lot of youtube videos over the weekend.  My hair isn't close to the salon cut I usually receive, but I also didn't have to shell out $90.  AND I will improve!  Thank you for all of the help and encouragement!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #301 on: October 29, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
My single biggest impact to less spending on lady things (hair, mostly, but any shopping at all), was simply having NO time available when the stores / shops are opened.  I stopped cutting my hair as I simply was not available during the day, I am picky about new hairdressers, and have therefore been growing it long.  I am actively reading about how to cut your own hair, as it is time for a trim. 

I own tweezers, a razor and buy replacement conditioner, foundation and skin cream that is a simple replacement of what I already have.  (No multiples sitting in drawers / part used supplies, etc).  It is amazing how long the makeup and girly products last when you try to use all of them.

Why?  Second job or extended overtime work (more money!) coupled with household chores and kids / family activity (to suck up the 1/2 day remaining on the weekend).

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: October 29, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
I gave myself a haircut using the ponytail method last week. The first time, I cut off barely an inch. It wasn't enough to make any difference, but it showed me that DIY wouldn't *necessarily* look terrible and the scissors would not go crazy in my hands. I did two inches the next time. It came out wavy in long layers and looks good. Maybe not as good as a good salon cut, but for the time and effort (and cost) involved, it's great! We had a cheap pair of hair scissors from when DH used to trim his own hair. (He now buzzes it.)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
Just gave my hair a trim last night, because it was time.  (The ends felt nasty.)  I keep my hair on the longer side so that it a) hides problems a bit better (I can always pull it up for a couple of weeks) and b) if I have a "whoops", I can always just go a little shorter than intended.
I'm much better at cutting my husband's hair than my own.  It's difficult to get layers in my own hair which look good.  Mine's also much thicker, though.

One thing that's helped me stop wearing makeup most of the time is the fact that my husband has told me many, many times that he prefers it when I don't wear makeup.  Having talked to other male friends since, many of them have said the same thing about their own wives/girlfriends.  The "need" many women have to wear makeup to look good is purely in their own heads.
Which is not to say that I'm totally against makeup.  It's fun to play around with sometimes.  I still wear some when we go out on our (very rare) dates, or to functions like weddings.  But for day-to-day, I leave it off.  Might be part of the reason people think I look at least 5 years younger than I am.

Perpetual Intern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
Just finished reading through this whole thing; some great solutions for Lady MMM issues here!

One thing I didn't see was any mention of convertible/multiuse clothing. I've been interested in this for traveling/minimalist/environmental reasons but it would certainly convert to some saved $$ too.

Here are some I have come across (note I only own the magic wrap skirt and a homemade sort-of infinity dress, don't work for any of these companies etc.):
http://www.wrapmagicskirts.com/index.html
http://www.finecraftguild.com/womens-cardigan/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocktYJSP__U
http://cameleonclothes.webs.com
http://travelfashiongirl.com/versalette-convertible-travel-clothing/
The infinity dress (a million links for this!)
http://hipknoties.com
http://www.tourintune.com/the-ultimate-multifunctional-dress-for-travel/
and I'm sure there are more I haven't found yet.

Seems like this would cut down on having a big wardrobe, they can be creatively refashioned so you won't get bored, size isn't an issue (at least as much, maybe only for huge changes in weight, some even use through pregnancy), great for reducing traveling needs, and reduce the need to buy more clothes. Even if you can only wear something 5 ways and not the 100 they claim that still seems like a win to me!

Some of them are a bit pricey; I've been thinking of playing around and making my own at some point (mostly just don't have time now); I've come across several how-to's around the web. I'm sure used ones can be found on ebay/thrift stores too (I got my magic wrap dress on ebay for about 30$, also made of reused material).

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Also about clothes: it only just occurred to me the other day that if you wear several layers/outfits onto a plane you could potentially save on suitcase space and/or luggage fees. The only things I could find out this after googling were the crazy people who wore 70 shirts or something and look ridiculous. I was thinking something a little more subtle....like 2-3 pairs of underwear, 2-3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, a couple shirts and undershirts, 2 jackets, or 2 skirts and a dress. Basically you want to be comfortable and not overheated and not look suspicious to the TSA. I'm flying home for thanksgiving so I might try this out just for kicks (I have plenty of clothes at home still and I was only ever going to take a carry on) and for future trips. I'll post a follow up.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
There is a guy that brings a spare pair of underwear and otherwise not much while traveling it might be this guy but I'll look more closely on a computer later. http://www.rtwblog.com

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 18, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
Also about clothes: it only just occurred to me the other day that if you wear several layers/outfits onto a plane you could potentially save on suitcase space and/or luggage fees. The only things I could find out this after googling were the crazy people who wore 70 shirts or something and look ridiculous. I was thinking something a little more subtle....like 2-3 pairs of underwear, 2-3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, a couple shirts and undershirts, 2 jackets, or 2 skirts and a dress. Basically you want to be comfortable and not overheated and not look suspicious to the TSA. I'm flying home for thanksgiving so I might try this out just for kicks (I have plenty of clothes at home still and I was only ever going to take a carry on) and for future trips. I'll post a follow up.

i've never taken it this far, but i always wear my heaviest clothes/several layers on the plane because (1) planes are always cold as fuck (2) suitcase space. i've pretty much sworn off ever checking a bag again -- there's no need to if you pack carefully. i went on a month-long trip last winter to south africa and brazil with a carry on, no problem.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
Yep, this is definitely the guy.  Watch the video here -

http://www.rtwblog.com/2010/08/how-to-pack-for-a-journey-with-no-luggage/

I love that he brings safety pins just in case.  For clothing he does this:

Given that I値l wear cargo pants, a travel jacket/vest, socks, underwear, and a short-sleeved t-shirt under a long-sleeved pullover on a typical day of the trip, I値l keep one spare t-shirt, two extra pairs of socks, and one spare pair of underwear in my pockets.  Each night I値l wash the day痴 socks, underwear and t-shirt in the hotel/hostel sink (note detergent below), and these items should usually be dry enough to pack or wear by morning. I知 guessing I値l wash the cargo pants about once a week.

And he brings soap and stuff. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »
I was thinking about project 333... you know 33 items of clothing, including undergarments and socks,--it is pretty insane.   

Then I started to compare it to what I normally pack for a 3-4 day trip -- e.g., the carry on is half empty.   Definitely able to travel for 2 weeks with one carry-on, and I have gone on a three day / overnight trip with just a large purse.  (pair of pants, tshirt, swimsuit and underwear rolled up at the bottom, small cosmetics  / toothbrush bag, wear sweater and coat on board--, one pair of shoes was the only hard part).

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:20:29 AM by goldielocks »

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:33 AM »
I tried project 333 during the last part of my pregnancy.  I really enjoyed it.  In the original rules, undergarments, socks and workout gear are not included.  she does include her purse and laptop bag, which felt weird to me, maybe because I'm not a bag-as-accessory person.  Counting the thrifted book bag I use to carry my stuff to and from work on my bike as clothing made about as much sense as counting my lunch box, or my helmet. I see them more as tools than as items of clothing. Project 333 encourages you to modify the rules to your taste, the point is to experiment with dressing with less, it really is fun when you give it a go.

I like the ideas of convertible clothing in theory, but in practice I prefer a more structured style of clothing.  They all seem to be suited to a drapey-flowy aesthetic that doesn't really suit me.  I guess I'd rather just wear the same thing that I really like than trying to recreate my clothes everyday. Maybe one day I'll try something like this http://www.theuniformproject.com.  I definitely have been thinking a lot about the way I wear clothing these days.

dbunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: December 04, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
Has anyone used an IUD?  I'm thinking of switching from the pill to an IUD.  I'm really intrigued by the copper/hormone-free one.

That's the one I got, and so far so good. I haven't had any kids so the insertion was very painful. Like a menstrual cramp but very localized. But the whole procedure only takes like 15 minutes so it wasn't that bad. Mine was completely free with my insurance, so that's a big plus over a lot of other options.

I had to go with the copper one because I don't do well with hormones (migraines, weight gain, etc). This is about the only highly-effective option then. My first period after the insertion was about two days longer and just a little heavier, but I could deal with it. The only negative was some extra cramps a few weeks after the insertion, but after getting an ultrasound it was because of a cyst on my ovary and not because of the IUD.

I think IUDs are a really good choice because they are very effective and are often free with insurance. Hope this helps!

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: December 04, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
I don't have a budget for girly things really, other than henna.

got a tubal. No side effects 3 years later. I got mine with no progeny but I hear most people have to have three before they're allowed- BS.

When I bother to do nails, I use a clear coat strengthener because I can't stand obvious chipping.

I use henna and indigo for a warm dark brown hair that no one thinks is dye. I've been doing it 5 years. Only 4x a year. I don't have grays. But I've heard/read it's great for them.

I use baking soda as shampoo and vinegar as conditioner. After 5 years, hair only needs a washing once a week. Get compliments on my hair. I clip it up, or braid it. free flow on fancy occasions. It's mid back length.

I use coconut oil from Costco as lotion and chap stick.even brought a little tub to work.

I have high quality mineral make-up I use about as often as I shave my legs. I plan to use it until it's gone, damn supposed expiration dates. If you wear it all the time, you start to need it. If you're healthy, you'll glow without help.

I hate clothes shopping. Second hand all the way. I have sewing skills for adjustments.

I tweeze my own brows, never waxed anywhere. I shave my pits to keep natural BO down. I shave my legs when I feel like it (4-8 x a year). TMI warning: I shave the "lick zone" and buzz the mons.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: December 05, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
We ladies really, really need to start calling for male birth control.  Why the hell should we be the only ones to bear the pain, low libido, and all the other ills of contraception?  Men have a stake in preventing/planning conception as well, they should have a bigger part in preventing it.
Any mustachian scientists willing to take that on?

There's a pretty promising sounding option under testing now. Actually a similar thing has been in clinical trials for 15 years in India, not sure why that hasn't been long enough to get it going for real... I haven't read up on it recently just remembered hearing about it years ago and thinking it sounded cool. Some kind of long lasting gel polymer that gets injected and blocks the tubes, works like a vasectomy. But it's reversible, because they can inject something else that dissolves it.  Non-invasive, non-hormonal, lasts a long time, reversible and relatively inexpensive. Here's hoping they make it happen!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/we-ll-have-male-birth-control-by-2017.html

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »
So, I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and went no 'poo.  I've tried it before but it was AWFUL.  My hair ended up stringy and dry at the ends, miserably greasy at the roots.  I did way more research this time around and realized that part of my problem is hard water (can't do much about that in our rental) and part of it was that I was trying to do no 'poo the same way I used shampoo--that is, washing my hair too frequently.
Well, this time around I've only washed my hair 3 times in two weeks (plus, once with a homemade dry shampoo made of arrowroot powder) and it's finally working!  My hair got that slippery feeling when I washed it last night, rather than still feeling a bit dirty.  The greasiness is totally gone and my hair looks shiny and healthy, feels soft and isn't super tangly.
In the last year I've started having to change my shampoo each time I needed a new bottle because while things would start off really well, by the end of the bottle my hair would be getting greasy really fast.  I tried a huge variety of shampoos too, from cheapest to a really expensive (supposedly) earth-friendly one.  So I decided to give this another try, since shampoo clearly was not doing me any favors. 
My husband told me I'm strange, but I might try to turn him into a convert once we start seeing long-term results.
Baking soda and vinegar for the win!

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: December 16, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
We ladies really, really need to start calling for male birth control.  Why the hell should we be the only ones to bear the pain, low libido, and all the other ills of contraception?  Men have a stake in preventing/planning conception as well, they should have a bigger part in preventing it.
Any mustachian scientists willing to take that on?

There's a pretty promising sounding option under testing now. Actually a similar thing has been in clinical trials for 15 years in India, not sure why that hasn't been long enough to get it going for real... I haven't read up on it recently just remembered hearing about it years ago and thinking it sounded cool. Some kind of long lasting gel polymer that gets injected and blocks the tubes, works like a vasectomy. But it's reversible, because they can inject something else that dissolves it.  Non-invasive, non-hormonal, lasts a long time, reversible and relatively inexpensive. Here's hoping they make it happen!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/we-ll-have-male-birth-control-by-2017.html

I remember reading that about 10 years ago!  Will it never come to be?

Here's a whole website dedicated to explaining various male contraceptive methods/research going on out there.
http://www.malecontraceptives.org/

Perpetual Intern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
Yep, this is definitely the guy.  Watch the video here -

http://www.rtwblog.com/2010/08/how-to-pack-for-a-journey-with-no-luggage/

I love that he brings safety pins just in case.  For clothing he does this:

Given that I値l wear cargo pants, a travel jacket/vest, socks, underwear, and a short-sleeved t-shirt under a long-sleeved pullover on a typical day of the trip, I値l keep one spare t-shirt, two extra pairs of socks, and one spare pair of underwear in my pockets.  Each night I値l wash the day痴 socks, underwear and t-shirt in the hotel/hostel sink (note detergent below), and these items should usually be dry enough to pack or wear by morning. I知 guessing I値l wash the cargo pants about once a week.

And he brings soap and stuff.

Cool, that seems really great for traveling.

As for my own experience, I wore a dress, a skirt, 2 bras, 2 undertanks, and a nice top. I was really surprised at how even that saved a good amount of space on my carryon. And I was actually mostly warm on the plane! I'm definitely doing this as a 'thing' from now on.

planner10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »
Onto the period thing....this is the second time I've heard of the menstrual cup. I haven't quite been able to make that leap yet. But I've heard awesome things about them. And I know it would cut down on costs of buying tampons and pads.

I vouch for this!

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
Hi everyone, I love the tips in this thread! Some things I do to keep costs down:

I use bar soap only, it's unbelievable how expensive body wash is (and how much plastic waste it requires!). I buy a pack of 15 bars of soap and I'm good for almost a year. "

I use baby shampoo for my body-wash and face-wash now. The big bottles have a pump at the top, and it costs about 6$ for the regular Johnson and Johnson big bottle.
Even with using it for the 3 boys and myself its lasted about 6 months.
Bonus? Smells like baby powder, so everyone thinks I smell lovely. :)

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
Can anyone recommend good online shops (that ship outside of the US) for work shirts? This is one thing I am willing to spend a fair amount on - the best I could find last time I looked was over $100 on sale and I didn't even like the fabric.

LAND's END has sales. All sorts of button up tops.

leherself

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:55 PM »
One thing I didn't see was any mention of convertible/multiuse clothing. I've been interested in this for traveling/minimalist/environmental reasons but it would certainly convert to some saved $$ too.

http://www.wrapmagicskirts.com/index.html

I bought a bunch of these wholesale on ebay.  They end up being about $4-6 apiece.  I don't get to pick colors, and I end up buying probably at least 10 at a time, but the great thing about wrap skirts is they pretty much last forever and they'll always fit (and if you buy in bulk you can always just pick out the ones you like and then resell or donate the rest).  I don't use them as a multi-function item of clothing - as far as I'm concerned they're just skirts, but I pretty much wear one every day.  My office is fairly casual as far as dress codes go, so I pair a skirt with a solid color t-shirt every day and that's pretty much 99% of my wardrobe.  In winter I add a coat and leggings for warmth, and switch from sandals to boots, but otherwise my outfits are the same.  I save a lot of time in the mornings, but the bold patterns and colors of the skirts mean that I don't look like I'm wearing a personal uniform.

As far as other money saving stuff goes - I cut my own hair, and I don't usually wear much make-up (but I'm religious with my moisturizer and chap stick).  I got a mirena IUD about a year ago and I've pretty much stopped having periods, so that's a huge time and money saver.

It's funny because for the most part I didn't do most of these things in the first place to save money.  A lot of it was just about finding the most efficient ways to do things.  Like the clothes - I prefer to wear the same thing every day because it's simpler, but I don't like to *look* like I'm wearing the same thing, and I don't want to have to worry about things not fitting right if my weight fluctuates a little.  I cut my own hair because I've never liked the hassle of going to a hair dresser on a regular basis - at first I just started trimming my own bangs between appointments, and then I went and started doing it all myself.  I probably haven't seen a hair dresser in at least 3 years.  That a lot of my choices end up being cheap is just a bonus :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!