Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140092 times)

Fletch

• Stubble
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

Ladies, I think I might invest in a diva cup. I'm worried about using it at work, though. There is one bathroom that is just for one person (so it has its own sink). I was concerned about how I would clean it at work since we have a bathroom with stalls and the sinks outside of the stalls. But if I used the single bathroom, it might work!

Unless your period is SUPER heavy, you likely won't have to change it at work.  Most women can leave theirs in 12 hours before rinsing (morning/night) and never have to worry about the work situation, or any not-at-home-situation.  I only have to change at work one day per cycle, which is ridiculously heavy by any standards.

Good to know! I couldn't really grasp how much it holds and how often you have to empty it.

You can also just wipe it out with TP if you are away from home (obviously still need to properly wash it out every 12 hours or so). I've never had any issues doing this while travelling, midday, etc., but if you are prone to yeast infections or something similar it might not be a good idea for you. I prefer using the diva-cup at work because I don't have to worry about remembering to grab my purse or digging around in my desk drawer every time I head to the bathroom.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2014, 03:40:13 AM »
Another +1 for the diva-cup type products. I bought a mooncup (it's called a MCUK in the US) and have got on fine with it. It's a learning curve putting it in and removing it,  and you need to be ok with the ick factor but it all comes with time and patience. Used it for two cycles, and I swear it's even shortened the no. of days. I am relatively light, but for you ladies who go through a ton of pads/tampons it's a brilliant investment. And better for environment and for your body. Win -win-win.
Strictly speaking you're meant to change it every 6-8 hours but I'm afriad I don't and just do it twice a day cleaning with mild fragrance-free soap once a day and a good rinse the other time.

Here's to the lady stache!

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
I purchased a wax set from a beauty supply store that sells to the public. It was on sale for half price. I've owned it for years and wax mine and my daughters eyebrows. It probably paid for itself in the first couple months if you consider what waxing cost at a salon. Of course tweezing would be cheaper.

I stopped the salon coloring and grew my hair out a few years ago. Now I buy hair color with coupons at the grocery store. Every other time I do the root touch up which I can get for about $2 with a coupon and works great. I tried going gray but hated it. I get my hair cut 2-3 times a year.

I wear very little makeup so the cost is not much.

I try to dry my razor off after using it to extend the life of the blades.

I wash my hair completely twice a week and the rest of the week I use a tiny dab just at the hairline which seems to get greasier than the rest. My hair always looks shiny and clean. I condition daily because my hair gets dry. I buy with coupons.

I do my own mani and pedis. So cheap and still looks good. I try to use a light color (pink) for toenails. Someone would have to have to get a close look to notice any chips.

I intend to try more DIY beauty items. I've been reading about the oil cleanse  method for washing your face so I think I will be trying that.

TacosForever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
I bought a huge bottle of Pura D'Or argan oil off Amazon for about $35 over a year ago. Comparable size and product at Sephora is $94!! And I still have about 2/3 of the bottle left - use it for oil cleansing method, moisturizer, hair treatment, frizz tamer. Great value & beauty multitasker.

I also use henna to color my hair. I buy the bricks from Lush - they are $26 a pop and one half of the brick is enough for my head. I color quarterly, so my annual cost for that is about $52. I think it's a good value - for those willing to be more experimental, you can buy henna/indigo/cassava powder off the internet and make your own blends for even less. The henna is a good hair treatment - I have zero split ends and haven't had my hair cut in about 18 months, which also saves money.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the info! Have Malaya wanted to try Argan oil bit have been put off by the price.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
I have had good experience with reusable cloth pads, especially if you are squeamish about a diva cup. (I'm not but my daughter is.) This company might be a bit pricey but compared to disposable pads you easily make it back in short order: http://www.partypantspads.com/

Definitely going to try these!  I'm sad about using disposable stuff, especially things I use so frequently.  Thanks for the link!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
I have had good experience with reusable cloth pads, especially if you are squeamish about a diva cup. (I'm not but my daughter is.) This company might be a bit pricey but compared to disposable pads you easily make it back in short order: http://www.partypantspads.com/

Definitely going to try these!  I'm sad about using disposable stuff, especially things I use so frequently.  Thanks for the link!
Reusable pads are super easy to make yourself, fyi.  There are a ton of patterns available on the internet if you need a starting place, I started with a google search, then adjusted until I hit on a pattern/fabric combo that I like the best.  For me that's a square with rounded ends, snaps on opposite corners, and made out of dark flannel.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »

Reusable pads are super easy to make yourself, fyi.  There are a ton of patterns available on the internet if you need a starting place, I started with a google search, then adjusted until I hit on a pattern/fabric combo that I like the best.  For me that's a square with rounded ends, snaps on opposite corners, and made out of dark flannel.

I thought of that while I was looking at them.  I'd like to how the professionals do it, and then sure, for 10$ I'm pretty sure I can get material for a bunch.  It looks like the nylon is the moisture-proof component; have you found that works out fine for homemade ones?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
You can purchase PUL online-- there's lots of stockists for people that make nappies

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
You can purchase PUL online-- there's lots of stockists for people that make nappies

Excellent, thanks!

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »

Ladies, I think I might invest in a diva cup. I'm worried about using it at work, though. There is one bathroom that is just for one person (so it has its own sink). I was concerned about how I would clean it at work since we have a bathroom with stalls and the sinks outside of the stalls. But if I used the single bathroom, it might work!

Unless your period is SUPER heavy, you likely won't have to change it at work.  Most women can leave theirs in 12 hours before rinsing (morning/night) and never have to worry about the work situation, or any not-at-home-situation.  I only have to change at work one day per cycle, which is ridiculously heavy by any standards.

Good to know! I couldn't really grasp how much it holds and how often you have to empty it.

You can also just wipe it out with TP if you are away from home (obviously still need to properly wash it out every 12 hours or so). I've never had any issues doing this while travelling, midday, etc., but if you are prone to yeast infections or something similar it might not be a good idea for you. I prefer using the diva-cup at work because I don't have to worry about remembering to grab my purse or digging around in my desk drawer every time I head to the bathroom.

You can also just put in a shield to catch any "overflow" if you really can't get through the whole day. If you want an idea of how they work for you, try the disposable Instead Cups to get used to the idea.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
Ooh, I love this category.  I have been wondering about these things.

I totally agree that a fit, healthy body is the best way to look beautiful.  Last fall I quit my expensive, non-mustachian gym, which was costing me, gulp, $117 per month.  I had actually hired a personal trainer earlier in the year to show me how to work out.  I consider this a valid investment in my health, because I had some worrying health problems (early stage appendix cancer last year).  So with the trainer's advice, I found a new way to work out (using weights and calisthenics), and dropped 40 lbs and changed my body chemistry. I'm much better set up now to avoid a recurrence, and also I love the way I look.  I look 10 years younger, for one thing.  So that's good.

After quitting Expensive Gym, I now just work out at my company gym, which is free, three mornings per week.  The company gym is not open on weekends, so last Saturday I tried a ballet barre class.  It was awesome, and my legs are still sore.  So it must work!  I'm trying to negotiate a deal, where I pay less than $10 per class, which I can use only on Saturday mornings.  They offered me a 12-class package for $85, but I'd have to use the package up within six weeks.  That won't work, since I can't really get there during the week.  So I'm holding out.  I don't want to let a large fitness bill creep back into my monthly budget.

I used to get eyebrow waxes and facials religiously, but the facials ended up breaking some capillaries around my nose.  WTF.  So I stopped.  My skin looks fine.  I am also tweezing my eyebrows myself.  I get two to three pedicures over the summer, and go au naturel the rest of the year.

I wear foundation and mascara, which I buy at CVS.  If I'm going out, I might break out the lip gloss, eyeliner and eyeshadow as well.  Maybe not.

I get my hair colored and cut, for $165, every three months.  I have heard that if you look good in gray, you can go gray.  I look like @#$% in gray, so I would have a hard time giving this one up.

Until right now, I have spent a TON of money on clothes.  Probably $2,000 to $3,000 per year.  That is one area where I need to cut back.  Now that I fit into a size 8-10, I can shop at some of the cool vintage stores in my part of the world.  So I am going to give that a whirl.  I need to look positively fashionable, not just presentable, at work.  So that is going to be a challenge.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »
Oh, and I use Dove soap on my face and body.  I get the best results from it.  It's much, much better for my face than any expensive cleanser. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

I thought of that while I was looking at them.  I'd like to how the professionals do it, and then sure, for 10$ I'm pretty sure I can get material for a bunch.  It looks like the nylon is the moisture-proof component; have you found that works out fine for homemade ones?
I actually only make myself panty liners, so I don't worry about a moisture barrier.  I use the panty liners to catch the overflow from a menstrual cup, I have a Ladycup from France and a Lunette from Finland (I think).  These are the best things ever!  I'm always trying to convert friends, with mixed reactions :-)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

Excellent, thanks!

What may be useful for me to mention though is that you may not need waterproofing/water resistance the majority of the time anyway. If you're going to have a go at making some, then make a couple with and without PUL and see how they 'perform'.
(By the way, I have been using cloth pads since about 2006 and the older ones are just starting to get to the throw-away stage now. It has been possibly one of the most thrifty moves I've made without consciously thinking about it!)

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
Has anyone ever grown out the gray and had the hairdresser (or yourself) do partial color or highlights as it grew out? I want to stop coloring, but I can't do the line of gray for a year. Or should I just go for a butch short haircut and be done with it?
I cut mine very short in order to get to grey.  I had temporary color in it so it didn't take long to get rid of the color.  I am finally letting it grow out a little.  I love the freedom from having to keep up color and the cost was ridiculous.  In my area for a really great colorist, you could spend $200 easily.

Well ladies, it has been since late August and I've been growing out the grey. I thought I would bothered by having the gray coming in, but I've just soldiered on. Tuesday I get about 6 inches chopped into something spiky and short. Color at my salon was $90 (pre-MMM) about 3 times per year (I'd hold out as long as I could). $270 x 10 years will compound to $4.5k. I'll admit I have irrational thoughts like, "People will say I look older than my mother." And then I realize, Who The Fuck Cares? I'm buying my freedom!

Update on growing out the gray: Just wanted to update that I am now 100% natural gray and all color is grown out/cut off. I receive more compliments on my hair now than I ever did before! Yes, I had to cut it short after growing the roots out for 3 months, then get a second cut after another 2 months or so to get rid of all the color ends. I get these amusing "solidarity" nods and smiles from women now--like I'm making a political statement for going gray (maybe I am). I also get women saying things like, "Oh, I've been thinking of growing my gray out. Maybe I will." I don't regret it at all.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
That's awesome Basenji!  I'm only 34 and have decided to allow my hair to go grey whenever it likes.  So far, just a few strands.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
That's awesome Basenji!  I'm only 34 and have decided to allow my hair to go grey whenever it likes.  So far, just a few strands.
+1

I was coloring my hair.  Had a brief period of highlights.  Now I'm just doing the natural thing.  My hair is a lot healthier.  I'm also thinking about cutting it to my shoulders to minimize upkeep (not that I do very much to it now).

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »
I started going grey before I hit my 21st birthday. I don't dye my hair, nobody usually notices the grey unless I point it out (I am mousy brown)-- they look genuinely startled to see grey if I show them, so I don't think they're being polite.

However where I live going grey and letting it do so without covering it up doesn't appear to be such a big counter-cultural thing as it is in the US.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »
Had an old friend I haven't seen in a couple of years ask me if my grey was real or from a bottle last night, then tell me how good it looked and how lucky I was when I told her it's au naturale. Score!

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »
Thanks to this thread I've bought the Lunette menstrual cup and have gone through two cycles with it. I really prefer it to anything else! I love not having to buy products every month, I love not having that awful itchy dryness that tampons used to give me, and I especially love only having to empty and reinsert twice a day (in the morning and at night). When I'm using it, most days I don't even know I have my period! Highly recommended.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
I have a mooncup too but don't use it religiously and sometimes use tampons.

I don't dye my hair anymore (no grey yet) and just use jojoba oil, soap and water and a cheap exfoliating scrub for cleaning my face and body.

I'm attempting to do the no buying new clothes in 2014 challenge but I'm finding that difficult already! Lol.

oceanowl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »

I am trying to do better in the fitness realm.  I have found that when I am slender an toned it makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel about myself.  That is one reason I don't have many clothes.....I haven't "earned" them with discipline.  I have never told anyone that before.  I've never known what made me feel that way, but I'm trying to use that as an incentive to be healthier!  It also forces me to be more creative with the items I already have.

I can relate to the "earned" part of this. I hate clothes shopping, and tend to avoid it, but that's mostly because I am heavier and things don't really look great on me, so I can't justify spending a lot of money on something. I am trying to motivate myself though with a per pound reward system, where I move $10 per pound to a savings for clothing shopping, and will allow myself to buy something I normally wouldn't once I hit my total goal. Then I won't feel like I'm wasting my money buying new clothing because it will look better and I will have "earned" it.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:02 AM »
Has anyone used an IUD?  I'm thinking of switching from the pill to an IUD.  I'm really intrigued by the copper/hormone-free one.

I had one for 4 years before I got my tubes tied.  I liked the hormone free bit (it was great to be back on my natural schedule and not have to worry about taking the pill) a lot.  The piece you'll hear about women who don't have kids not being able to is bogus and officially retracted by the FDA a couple of years ago (depending on your location some gynos can be quite archaic when it comes to that kind of thing). 

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
My SIL has an IUD and her period has basically stopped, I think.  I'm not sure what kind it is, though.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Also, much like kaetana, from this thread I've decided to go for a DivaCup.  Currently on my first trial :)  I'm slowly transitioning to cloth pads, too, but I'm trying to find the kind I like best.  I should and eventually will make some, but without a sewing machine I know I need to just purchase a few to know that I like them and find a good design to copy that I already know works.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
Has anyone used an IUD?  I'm thinking of switching from the pill to an IUD.  I'm really intrigued by the copper/hormone-free one.

I had one for 4 years before I got my tubes tied.  I liked the hormone free bit (it was great to be back on my natural schedule and not have to worry about taking the pill) a lot.  The piece you'll hear about women who don't have kids not being able to is bogus and officially retracted by the FDA a couple of years ago (depending on your location some gynos can be quite archaic when it comes to that kind of thing).

I don't want to have kids, so I'm actually keen on the longer lifetime.  I read that it's 10 years.  Did you experience heavier periods?  That's the big warning that I've received, but I wonder how much heavier it will actually be.

It's hard for me to tell since I went straight from the pill - I had pretty strong hormonal reactions to all three major dosages.  I also used a Diva Cup (started about 4 months before IUD) so "heavier" in volume didn't make much difference with my actual experience.  The heavier periods most people experience is actually them going off of hormones, but the copper has been shown to have an effect although not universal.  My cramps went down, but the IUD played a pretty big role in that as well.  Unfortunately too many variables to have a good answer! 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »
Thanks!  I'm really leaning toward a copper IUD, but I don't know anyone that has one.  Also, it's not really something that is easy to bring up in a group.   "Please raise your hand if you've had a copper IUD?"  Could make for awkward dinner conversation.

Haha I guess it depends on the group, I've had quite a few of those types of conversations. 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

I don't want to have kids, so I'm actually keen on the longer lifetime.  I read that it's 10 years.  Did you experience heavier periods?  That's the big warning that I've received, but I wonder how much heavier it will actually be.

It's hard for me to tell since I went straight from the pill - I had pretty strong hormonal reactions to all three major dosages.  I also used a Diva Cup (started about 4 months before IUD) so "heavier" in volume didn't make much difference with my actual experience.  The heavier periods most people experience is actually them going off of hormones, but the copper has been shown to have an effect although not universal.  My cramps went down, but the IUD played a pretty big role in that as well.  Unfortunately too many variables to have a good answer!
Thanks!  I'm really leaning toward a copper IUD, but I don't know anyone that has one.  Also, it's not really something that is easy to bring up in a group.   "Please raise your hand if you've had a copper IUD?"  Could make for awkward dinner conversation.

I just got a copper IUD in January (following the birth of my daughter in Nov.) and so far, I'm liking it.  However, it has given me heavier periods.  MUCH heavier, as in I have to empty out my Diva Cup every 2 hours for a few days (never had a problem going for 12 hours before this) and it's been lasting for a full 7 days.  Also, it's changed how my periods are.  They used to start heavy (for me) and then taper off after a day or two.  Now they start slowly, work up to being ridiculously heavy for a few days, and then suddenly stop.  ??
I'm not sure how much of this is due to postpartum hormonal changes, though.  I said that I like my IUD and it's true.  I did horribly on the pill, getting all kinds of nasty side effects from the hormones, including worse cramping.  With the IUD I actually feel like my hormones are on a more even keel (even during my period) and I don't have much cramping at all now.
If you have any questions for me, I'll keep reading this thread.

**Note: For those curious, I am breastfeeding but I am among the small percentage of very, very unlucky women who apparently get their periods back straight away.  1 week after my post-birth bleeding stopped, I got my period again.  Total WTF moment, but I've been getting it regularly since then.  > (

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
I got the hormone IUD (Mirena) 4 years ago.  A few months later my periods stopped and I haven't had one since.  Major bonus.  I haven't had children, so it really hurt when it went in but that's it.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
I got the hormone IUD (Mirena) 4 years ago.  A few months later my periods stopped and I haven't had one since.  Major bonus. I haven't had children, so it really hurt when it went in but that's it.

Doesn't that freak you out?  You'd never know if you got pregnant . . . even though the chances are really slim, it would be terrifying not to find out until it was too late.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
This may sound strange... but not really. 

I usually did continuous cycling to avoid my period for a few months at a time while on the pill anyway.  IUDs are statistically better at birth control than the pill (especially since a lot of the improvement is due to eliminating human error and I was never good at taking it exactly at the right time), so for me it felt like a win.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »
I know someone who had a copper IUD and has issues with it.  It slipped out of alignment or something (sorry, I don't know the details), and she got pregnant.  Then miscarried because of the IUD.  Just wanted to throw in a possible problem so you can see both sides.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »
Well, right off the bat - if your guy likes the lingerie then he needs to buy it for you! :) That will save you some bucks right there, and it will be his contribution to "sharing the load" that you're both enjoying...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2014, 05:08:20 AM »
I've never tried an IUD as the idea freaks me out, hubbie paid for a vasectomy so we don't have to worry about birth control anymore.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a thick, hydrating lotion/cream for the body?  I've been SO dry.  I've been using olive oil on my skin at night and Trader Joe's unscented lotion in the morning, but I'm still SO dry.

My favorite is Sympathy for the Skin, a body cream made by Lush. Smells amazing and feels great on the skin. Not cheap though, so my other favorite is avocado oil, massaged into wet skin. (It's not that nice on dry skin, has to be damp to wet.)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
thick, hydrating lotion/cream for the body?
Cetaphyl body lotion (in a tub).  Costco carries it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2014, 08:07:40 AM »
I use Eucerin Intensive Repair lotion, I'm in a job that my hands are constantly being washed so they get very dry.  This stuff is awesome and unscented.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
I get very dry hands as I have pet cats and dogs and end up washing my hands 10000 times a day lol. I keep cheap baby lotion bottles dotted around the house but I often forget to use it!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:59 AM »
I changed by diet and vitamins a year or more ago...I have found that my omega 3 vitamins and liberal use of olive oil on my salad has changed my skin, face and, hands and body...no need for lotion anymore. For me it has remarkable effects.  I'm Sure it's not scientifically proven anywhere else, but it works for me.
So interesting that you say that!  I have cut out dairy (almost entirely) and notice I don't get the flaking skin on my legs or scalp anymore.  I seem to be able to tolerate greek yogurt.  Not sure if it's the substance or the low volume, but definitely has an effect.  I've also increased avocados, so that may have something to do with it that I hadn't considered before. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
thick, hydrating lotion/cream for the body?
Cetaphyl body lotion (in a tub).  Costco carries it.

I bought a tub yesterday, and it's great!  The Lush recommendation was also appealing, but I don't trust myself in the store!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
I have extremely dry skin and have found fish oil capsules to be very helpful. I got a huge bottle for $10 on sale and it's lasted 2 months so far. I still use lotion, but I no longer feel itchy and tight. (Note for other Australians: try those discount pharmacy chains like Wizard, way cheaper than supermarket/priceline).

TacosForever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
An avocado a day keeps itchy dry skin away!

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
There seems to be lots of people really happy with their IUDs, so it might be worth mentioning the other side. I don't do well with the pill - it works as contraception for me by completely removing any libido - so I've tried several different options. I had an Implanon (a little rod that is inserted through a needle into the arm and works with a low dose hormone) for 3 years that was fantastic, periods became extremely light and many months non-existent. You are supposed to remove them after that time, and weirdly the second one did;'t work so well - instead on no periods I had constant spotting - had to wear a liner all the time. From there I tried an IUD. I was really lucky that I had it inserted on a Friday afternoon, as the pain had me barely able to function for the whole weekend. They said I could go back to work the same day but there is no way that would have happened. My BF had a similar experience, but hers was if anything worse. We both found that periods became a LOT more painful, somewhat heavier but it was the pain that stood out. I stuck it out for about 9 months and then just couldn't see the point as it wasn't getting any better. From there I went to a Nuva Ring, which was perfect for me - it's a flexible silicon ring, you insert it like a tampon and remove it after 21days, then  put in a new one 7 days later. Only have to remember to d anything twice a month, and very high reliability, and when we started trying for kids I could just remove it and was fertile the next cycle. The only downside for me was that it was expensive - about $30 a month - but who know what it would be in the US, presumably it should be covered if IUDs are. It's hormonal, but lower dose like IUDs, as it's locally administered. Sadly, like most women specific things, I find doctors are useless at keeping up to date with this stuff - I actually spent a fair portion of a consult telling a GP what the darn thing was.

TL:DR IUDs can be very painful for some women, other options exist like Implanon and Nuva Ring.

To other matters of lady staches;
I work as a professional, and find the easiest way to dress suitably is a few pairs of court shoes, a few suits, and a range of dress shirts. Suits are suits IMO, if they are decent quality it doesn't matter if they are a few years old. I've gone through several sizes (what with pregnancy and illness varying my weight from around 50 kg to over 70 (actually I think I hit 80 when pregnant, but that phase I was into maternity pants rather than suits), mostly hovering in low 60s, and basically just buy one suit a year - that becomes my good suit for client meetings, and whatever else fits reasonably well gets worn on non-meeting days. I've been in the workforce for nearly 10 years now and still wear the suits I bought first year out, though those are looking pretty worn now. Shirts obviously don't last so long, and I have trended from target quality towards higher end labels, but again, I tend to buy a few new in the sales each year and retire a few older / cheaper looking ones. I LOVE shirts with french cuffs - they let me wear my hubby's lego cufflinks - and they aren't easy to find so when I see them I buy them. Generally, the shops I used to buy work clothes from have almost all moved away from suits and work shirts, so I'm now really struggling to find any to buy.

Can anyone recommend good online shops (that ship outside of the US) for work shirts? This is one thing I am willing to spend a fair amount on - the best I could find last time I looked was over $100 on sale and I didn't even like the fabric.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »
Has anyone tried tattooed makeup here?  I like the idea of permanent dark eyeliner.  I don't like the needle idea so much though.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:30 AM »
I have done permanent eyeliner and lip color. LOVE LOVE LOVE the eyeliner. I've had it for over ten years now. I may go back and get a refresh on it. keep sunglasses on at all times outdoors to make it last longer.

Getting the eyes done was very nerve-wracking.  There is a needle very close to your eye. Mine still looks amazing. My tattoo lady did a solid line then a frayed line above it to make it look real and a little smudged.
Don't go too dark. Get less than you think you want so that on the days you want to feel "made up" you can just apply make up over it. It's always easier to put more on than take it off.

Lip color-  eh, I wasn't thrilled about the color the first few years, but it did only take Chapstick to look fully 'made up'.  Now it's wearing off and I may actually do that again too (but different color)  I look much older and washed out without color on my face and I've never been good at applying makeup on a regular basis. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:09:29 AM by BlueHouse »

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »
My mom and aunt have the permanent eyeliner.  Gosh, it's been at least 10 years now, though I remember when they first got it, it looked miserable - their eyes were red and puffy for about a week, if I remember correctly.  Though I really like the way my face/eyes look when I put eyeliner on, I just don't see how it would be worth it for me.  Apparently Kate Middleton has permanent eyeliner, given she is photographed so often I would think for high profile women it is probably a good investment.

tracylayton

« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
I color my hair myself once a month for $2.99, comes out of the grocery budget. I wear an inexpensive moisturizer and usually only wear makeup once a week. I only wear mascara on special occasions, because it is a pain to take off. I spend less than $25 per year on makeup.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
Hair: I cut it myself. It's fairly short right now but I'm trying to grow it a bit. I bought a pair of quality haircutting scissors that paid for themselves within a couple months. I have not had luck with baking soda for shampoo so now I just use Suave. I once had a horrid reaction to hair color that sent me to urgent care so I don't ever plan to color my hair again.

Skin: I use cetaphil on my face and dove on my body (Buy at Costco). I do have acne prone-skin so I buy generic brand benzoyl peroxide to use when needed. I shave with a safety razor and use coconut oil for lotion. I tweeze my own eyebrows. Waxing hurts and makes them very red and I don't care for it.

Clothes: I buy nearly everything (except underwear) from thrift stores. I am trying to have a minimalist wardrobe though and am staying away from clothes shopping altogether for a while. I still get those free panty coupons from Victoria's Secret so that takes care of my underthings collection for the most part.

Nails: I love just buffing my nails to a natural shine. I do have a fairly large collection of nail polish from my less-frugal days that I use when I want to feel fancy.

Birth control/Menstruation. I second the menstrual cup. I LOVE it and will never go back to disposables. As for birth control, we use fertility awareness. It takes a bit of planning and discipline but we have never had an unplanned pregnancy. I highly recommend reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" to anyone curious about this method.

Fitness: I run and do yoga, mostly at home now. It helps me relax and feel happy and healthy.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
There seems to be lots of people really happy with their IUDs, so it might be worth mentioning the other side. I don't do well with the pill - it works as contraception for me by completely removing any libido - so I've tried several different options. I had an Implanon (a little rod that is inserted through a needle into the arm and works with a low dose hormone) for 3 years that was fantastic, periods became extremely light and many months non-existent. You are supposed to remove them after that time, and weirdly the second one did;'t work so well - instead on no periods I had constant spotting - had to wear a liner all the time. From there I tried an IUD. I was really lucky that I had it inserted on a Friday afternoon, as the pain had me barely able to function for the whole weekend. They said I could go back to work the same day but there is no way that would have happened. My BF had a similar experience, but hers was if anything worse. We both found that periods became a LOT more painful, somewhat heavier but it was the pain that stood out. I stuck it out for about 9 months and then just couldn't see the point as it wasn't getting any better. From there I went to a Nuva Ring, which was perfect for me - it's a flexible silicon ring, you insert it like a tampon and remove it after 21days, then  put in a new one 7 days later. Only have to remember to d anything twice a month, and very high reliability, and when we started trying for kids I could just remove it and was fertile the next cycle. The only downside for me was that it was expensive - about $30 a month - but who know what it would be in the US, presumably it should be covered if IUDs are. It's hormonal, but lower dose like IUDs, as it's locally administered. Sadly, like most women specific things, I find doctors are useless at keeping up to date with this stuff - I actually spent a fair portion of a consult telling a GP what the darn thing was.

We ladies really, really need to start calling for male birth control.  Why the hell should we be the only ones to bear the pain, low libido, and all the other ills of contraception?  Men have a stake in preventing/planning conception as well, they should have a bigger part in preventing it.
Any mustachian scientists willing to take that on?