Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140076 times)

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2013, 06:14:56 AM »
Another thing about bras.  Line drying will extend the life of your bras as does hand washing.  Admittedly I toss them in the machine (horrors) but never the dryer. 

This is also true for other garments containing lycra.

killingxspree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »
About the going gray/waiting for the color to grow out... my stylist told me they can strip the color out of your hair, leaving you with basically the color the hair actually is supposed to be. I get my hair dyed funky colors and we were discussing me going back to a (lighter) fire-engine red after I went deep eggplant purple, and she told me that color stripping would get about 80% of the color out on average. That would, however, making the growing out process less glaring. She said it wouldn't damage the hair (not sure I totally believe there would be NO damage) but she said it is NOT a bleach/lightener, so what do I know...

Might want to check into getting hair color stripping if you're really on the edge of going natural. Not sure what it costs, but it would be a one time thing, and then NO color after, so might be worth it?

I'm not there yet. I'm liking my rainbow of colors, and my gray isn't a pretty silver and it's more 50/50 mix right now (started graying in my 20s).

I don't know if that's strictly accurate... Peroxide lightens your hair and oxidises colour into it so it changes your natural hair colour. If you were to remove that colour, the colour you would see, is called your ' contributing pigment' so probably an orangish red colour if your hair is naturally medium brown and been coloured many times. It would be lighter then your natural hair colour and it wouldn't look very natural. Hopefully that makes sense.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
There's a great product from Bumble and Bumble called hair powder. It comes in different colors and you can use the tiniest bit to cover your roots. This can buy you an extra week or two between full-on touch ups. It is not an inexpensive product but you only use an eensy bit at a time, and it works quite well!

I bought this stuff and used it for the first time yesterday morning.  It is great!  I simply sprayed it where I part my hair and it covered up the demarcation line I have going. 

It wasn't a messy product at all - I had been reading some of its internet reviews- and I had no problem using it.  It didn't come out on my pillow overnight either. 

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
Makes me think though...shaving is not necessary and costs something, so isn't it anti-Mustachian to continue doing so??  I'm trying to start a movement here...please join in!!

I don't shave anything except my armpits (I'm way too ticklish to have hair there!) normally. I've been shaving up to my bike bib line this summer, because I've been getting more and more into road bike racing, and EVERYBODY shaves their guns there. Some of the guys I roll with have had the best tips for keeping legs silky schmoove.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
There's a great product from Bumble and Bumble called hair powder. It comes in different colors and you can use the tiniest bit to cover your roots. This can buy you an extra week or two between full-on touch ups. It is not an inexpensive product but you only use an eensy bit at a time, and it works quite well!

I bought this stuff and used it for the first time yesterday morning.  It is great!  I simply sprayed it where I part my hair and it covered up the demarcation line I have going. 

It wasn't a messy product at all - I had been reading some of its internet reviews- and I had no problem using it.  It didn't come out on my pillow overnight either. 

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

You're welcome! I'm really glad it worked for you. :)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
About the going gray/waiting for the color to grow out... my stylist told me they can strip the color out of your hair, leaving you with basically the color the hair actually is supposed to be. I get my hair dyed funky colors and we were discussing me going back to a (lighter) fire-engine red after I went deep eggplant purple, and she told me that color stripping would get about 80% of the color out on average. That would, however, making the growing out process less glaring. She said it wouldn't damage the hair (not sure I totally believe there would be NO damage) but she said it is NOT a bleach/lightener, so what do I know...

Might want to check into getting hair color stripping if you're really on the edge of going natural. Not sure what it costs, but it would be a one time thing, and then NO color after, so might be worth it?

I'm not there yet. I'm liking my rainbow of colors, and my gray isn't a pretty silver and it's more 50/50 mix right now (started graying in my 20s).

I don't know if that's strictly accurate... Peroxide lightens your hair and oxidises colour into it so it changes your natural hair colour. If you were to remove that colour, the colour you would see, is called your ' contributing pigment' so probably an orangish red colour if your hair is naturally medium brown and been coloured many times. It would be lighter then your natural hair colour and it wouldn't look very natural. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm not referring to peroxide/bleach/lightener. It's a color stripper that is just supposed to remove hair dye pigment. I asked again about it over the weekend, and my hairdresser confirmed, not a bleach at all, but she wouldn't do more than 3 times within a certain period of time since it could technically cause damage from repeated usage in a short period of time. She said her treatment runs about $50 a pop.

Now if you've lightened or bleached your hair to a blond, then you are right that that won't work and would probably turn your hair brassy looking and look weird growing out. I was meaning that the stripper would remove darker colors to make your new growth match up a bit better to the existing hair to circumvent the awkward gray hair/brunette line in the hair type of thing.

:)

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
Lots of great advice in this column. My sport/hobby unfortunately requires a bit of bling and a wonderful undergarment called "spanx". In order to offset the cost of these goodies, I use ebay. I have two searches one for the "spanx" which for me is just the "tank top, firm control" though I do have the full body version if I ever should need it. and "western shirt" is my other search.

Now for the special shirts we wear. I started a business years ago "blinging" show shirts and casual shirts. this allows me the absolute best bargain for exactly what I want. Andwhat is this crazy thing I do that makes me wear spanx and "blinged" shirts. I compete in reining (A horseback riding discipline) events. Or had up until last summer when I sold my show horse.

I like how the firm fit tank tops make me feel overall, so I wear them at work sometimes.

I am going grey and though I do not get my hair cut more than a couple of times a year using a coupon at hair masters... I save coupons and when the temp grey hair color goes on sale I add the coupons to get them for around $2-3.

For nice expensive shoes/boots, my thing is boots btw, not nice shoes. I again turn to ebay. I have also found used boots for a fraction of full price on Amazon. Since I ride horses I've always worn boots, now I've simply bought some more fashionable boots. I feel most comfortable in them over shoes. I have TINY feet for my height and boots make my feet feel substantial:) The best brand of fashion boots, high end? Frye is what I wear and for cowboy boots Luchesse. Having my boots repaired helps the pocketbook as well.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
Now for the special shirts we wear. I started a business years ago "blinging" show shirts and casual shirts. this allows me the absolute best bargain for exactly what I want. Andwhat is this crazy thing I do that makes me wear spanx and "blinged" shirts. I compete in reining (A horseback riding discipline) events. Or had up until last summer when I sold my show horse.

This is one of the benefits of dressage! My show duds might have cost around ~$500, but at least the fashions didn't change from season to season. :)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »
Turns out you all were right about the band size! I was wearing a 36 and I really should be a 32! I got a fitting this weekend and came home with two extremely comfortable bras. The brands are Spanx and Natori. Now that I know which bras work for me, I'll be able to shop at Nordstrom's rack and get them for half the price in the future!

Did you go to Nordsrom's for the fitting? I live in the DC area and think a fitting might be what I need.

Oops, just saw this! Yes, I did go to Nordstrom's in Ballston for the fitting. I had a good experience!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
I'm not referring to peroxide/bleach/lightener. It's a color stripper that is just supposed to remove hair dye pigment. I asked again about it over the weekend, and my hairdresser confirmed, not a bleach at all, but she wouldn't do more than 3 times within a certain period of time since it could technically cause damage from repeated usage in a short period of time. She said her treatment runs about $50 a pop.

I was meaning that the stripper would remove darker colors to make your new growth match up a bit better to the existing hair to circumvent the awkward gray hair/brunette line in the hair type of thing.

I asked my hairdresser about how I could start growing out the gray and she told me she could start using semi-permanent and over time it would fade as the gray grew out. I don't know. I'm tempted to shave my head and start from scratch. I wish I had never started coloring it. Note to the youngsters...Has anyone ever grown out the gray and had the hairdresser (or yourself) do partial color or highlights as it grew out? I want to stop coloring, but I can't do the line of gray for a year. Or should I just go for a butch short haircut and be done with it?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
I grew out my gray hair two years ago and love it.  Semi-permanent color will not fade - it will just go brassy as the hair grows.  If you are really up for it, just grin and bear it.  Short haircuts are helpful but don't go ultra short if that is not your normal style as you will be miserable both with the color and the cut.  What worked for me was to work from a short wavy bob to a short layered style (which was my customary style anyway).  The layers helped the colors to blend some so the line wasn't that pronounced.  After about 7 months of no coloring, I went with a short pixie style (which, again, was not new to me so I felt comfortable with it) and that was it.  I tried growing it a bit since but I always go back to the pixie (similar to what Jamie Curtis has).

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like I need to just woman-up and do it. Ugh.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: August 22, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »

I'm tempted to shave my head and start from scratch. I wish I had never started coloring it. Note to the youngsters...

I know someone who did shave their head and start from scratch. She owned a business and felt she wouldn't look professional during the transition stage, so she just wore a wig until the grow out was done. I am not necessarily recommending this route though...haha.  She did have gorgeous grey hair though.  Sometimes the grey looks nice if it's soft, but sometimes grey hair can be wirey and dry looking on some people. I haven't made the leap yet of getting off the hair color...

melissak

« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »
Shaving: I find it interesting that so many lady staches are shaving often/at all.  Don't get me wrong, I realize there is some unwritten code that says we (in the US or globally?) are supposed to spend part of our lives and money shaving lots of areas of the body.  It was only after I had my son, when I didn't feel like I had the time or energy, that I started cutting out shaving my legs.  Laziness? Yes.  Time saved? Yes.  Money saved? Yes.  Sounds like a homerun to me!  My husband is German, so he never understood why I shaved all the time anyway (so apparently those efforts were wasted on him!).  Now I hardly ever shave and I don't feel any differently.  Okay, I don't want gawkers either...so if I am going to a wedding or something and I'm not wearing dark hose, then I will whip out the old razor and shave using basic body soap.  That means I may never have to buy a razor again (the one should last me a long time if I only use it once or twice a year??).  Ironically, I am in Germany now and my husband's family invited us to go swimming last week.  I wondered then whether it was my husband not caring about shaving or the entire culture (which I had thought in the past was so open).  I shaved just to be safe, dare I embarass his family.  Well, it turns out that all the young Germans are also shaving...nary a body hair in sight.  Makes me think though...shaving is not necessary and costs something, so isn't it anti-Mustachian to continue doing so??  I'm trying to start a movement here...please join in!!

Definitely not joining the movement. I went for 4 years without picking up a razor and was at the time very proud of not shaving (oh, female-only college...). Also struck out with pretty much everyone I was interested in, as basically, hairy legs and pits just aren't attractive to most males I have met. And I totally understand why and do not fault them in any way. Now I shave very regularly. In short, I don't understand why I used to gripe about shaving and think it so inconvenient, and generally don't understand other gals complaining to me about it now. If it's not your thing, that's cool, but to me the admittedly-infrequent complaints about shaving I hear often strike me as just being a complainypants and exaggerating inconvenience. I find shaving to be extremely easy and quick, and it can be very cheap as well. (You can substitute so many things for shaving cream, and it's like a mindless 10 minutes at the most of my week.) And basically, many people just don't find hairy pits and legs on women pleasant to look at, and in my rather extensive experience, hairy pits weren't pleasant in the olfactory sense either. And yes, I totally get it that a lot of women are distinctly not interested in being visually or olfactor-ally (?) pleasant to others. In that case, there should be no surprise or outrage that the general population will find them less than pleasant viscerally. I just don't get when females make a fuss about shaving like it's a huge hassle. Sounds like a wee bit of "complainypants-itis" to me. If you're philosophically against it, good on ya. I am 100% "free to be you and me." It's just that shaving is pretty high on my list of "first world (non)problems" and has basically had a very high return for me since I took it up again.

PS- I don't have "extremely sensitive skin" or, apparently, an  extremely sensitive personality ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:01:56 AM by melissak »

melissak

« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
Makes me think though...shaving is not necessary and costs something, so isn't it anti-Mustachian to continue doing so??  I'm trying to start a movement here...please join in!!

PS - Because I am moving to a country where stuff costs more, I stocked up today on 3 (local brand imitations of Mach 3) razors and 35 cartridges for like $50. Those should last my husband and I years. In the meantime, not having scruffy facial hair will help him professionally and not having hairy legs and pits will help me both professionally as well as be a general relationship boon. I seriously doubt that spending like $15 a year on razors (split between two people) is terribly un-mustachian, all things considered.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:01:09 AM by melissak »

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »
I just don't get when females make a fuss about shaving like it's a huge hassle. Sounds like a wee bit of "complainypants-itis" to me. If you're philosophically against it, good on ya. I am 100% "free to be you and me." It's just that shaving is pretty high on my list of "first world (non)problems" and has basically had a very high return for me since I took it up again.

PS- I don't have "extremely sensitive skin" or, apparently, an  extremely sensitive personality ;)

How much of a hassle it is varies greatly from person to person. I have thicker leg hair than most males, so when I was shaving it took about 20 minutes/day, and required lots of fancypants creams and fresh razor cartridges every day to avoid horrible razor burn (and I still itched terribly ALL THE TIME hooray eczema!)

Fortunately having hairy legs is a pretty good  people filter. Men/ladies who are bothered by it are men/ladies I wouldn't want to get romantically involved with anyways. It's kind of like weightlifting that way.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
Definitely not joining the movement. I went for 4 years without picking up a razor and was at the time very proud of not shaving (oh, female-only college...). Also struck out with pretty much everyone I was interested in, as basically, hairy legs and pits just aren't attractive to most males I have met. And I totally understand why and do not fault them in any way. Now I shave very regularly. In short, I don't understand why I used to gripe about shaving and think it so inconvenient, and generally don't understand other gals complaining to me about it now. If it's not your thing, that's cool, but to me the admittedly-infrequent complaints about shaving I hear often strike me as just being a complainypants and exaggerating inconvenience. I find shaving to be extremely easy and quick, and it can be very cheap as well. (You can substitute so many things for shaving cream, and it's like a mindless 10 minutes at the most of my week.) And basically, many people just don't find hairy pits and legs on women pleasant to look at, and in my rather extensive experience, hairy pits weren't pleasant in the olfactory sense either. And yes, I totally get it that a lot of women are distinctly not interested in being visually or olfactor-ally (?) pleasant to others. In that case, there should be no surprise or outrage that the general population will find them less than pleasant viscerally. I just don't get when females make a fuss about shaving like it's a huge hassle. Sounds like a wee bit of "complainypants-itis" to me. If you're philosophically against it, good on ya. I am 100% "free to be you and me." It's just that shaving is pretty high on my list of "first world (non)problems" and has basically had a very high return for me since I took it up again.

PS- I don't have "extremely sensitive skin" or, apparently, an extremely sensitive personality ;)

The extremely massive chip on your shoulder is showing, however. ;)

Fortunately having hairy legs is a pretty good people filter. Men/ladies who are bothered by it are men/ladies I wouldn't want to get romantically involved with anyways.

Right on. Sometimes I do the hair removal thing, sometimes I don't. It's not a big deal. Personally, I've not noticed my nonchalant attitude to the issue affecting my chances with men that I find attractive. Hurrah! :D

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
In some extremely conservative workplaces, skirts and hose are still the rule for women and shaving is a must. In the same vein, tattoos and piercings (except for one in each earlobe) would disqualify you for a job. I wore a school uniform for many years and I think of these rules as being in the same vein. In fact, I find them freeing in an odd way. Because my appearance blends in, and in fact is on the conservative side, I think people cut my odd personality more slack. But so much depends on your peer group, doesn't it? I moved to a college town about a year ago, and now I find myself strangely drawn to Birkenstocks :)

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
I remember the days when here in Europe it was fine to have unshaven pits. I kind of liked it, weirdly enough. It was just so, accepting or something.

In the winter I don't shave, but I find that the deoderant gets pretty ooky in the pit hair. Personally.

TMI. Sorry.  : )

melissak

« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »

PS- I don't have "extremely sensitive skin" or, apparently, an extremely sensitive personality ;)

Fortunately having hairy legs is a pretty good people filter. Men/ladies who are bothered by it are men/ladies I wouldn't want to get romantically involved with anyways.

Right on. Sometimes I do the hair removal thing, sometimes I don't. It's not a big deal. Personally, I've not noticed my nonchalant attitude to the issue affecting my chances with men that I find attractive. Hurrah! :D

Please expand on the chip on my shoulder!

Yes, hypothetically, the men we really want to shack up will have the exact same aesthetic/philosophical/practical ideals as us.

In practice, the most wonderful/lovely/down-to-earth man who I am lucky enough to be shacked up with just isn't into hairy pits. Like I'm not into hairy backs. But also not into men who have to wax and therefore be more high-maintenance than I... so I am naturally attracted to my man who has what I consider the pefect amount of body hair naturally.

I am indisputably stubborn and also disillusioned by the promises of "just do exactly what you want and the man you really want will 100% coincide with your natural preferences, or else you wouldn't want to be with him anyway!"... as that totally did not pan out empirically.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »

In practice, the most wonderful/lovely/down-to-earth man who I am lucky enough to be shacked up with just isn't into hairy pits. Like I'm not into hairy backs. But also not into men who have to wax and therefore be more high-maintenance than I... so I am naturally attracted to my man who has what I consider the pefect amount of body hair naturally.

That sounds like a way too complicated way to live. The love of my life has hair everywhere that he does not care to remove. Before I knew that, I would have said I don't prefer hair either. But now that I love him desperately, his hair quantity doesn't really matter. I assume that he would say the same about my shaving/not shaving preferences. It would be exhausting to keep up with every little preference, and it's not realistic (or very mature) to imagine that my spouse will be the one person whose preferences magically line up with mine in every way, or else it's not 'meant to be.'

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:32 AM »
I don't wear much makeup and I could cut back some on clothes buying (I was doing very well for a few years buying hardly anything, but recently updated my wardrobe this summer), but I can't imagine giving up shaving at this point.  If I had never shaved my legs it'd be one thing, but I did and regularly, so forget the gentlemen's opinion, it would drive me absolutely batty to have coarse hair down there.  In fact, I even signed on for the laser hair removal using deal sites, and I'm in the process of getting it done on armpits and lower legs.  If it works, it could save me on shaving in the long run, not to mention not needing to worry about having not shaved, and bits of time in the shower.  But I do coupon and get free razors/discounted cream so shaving is not all that expensive as some make it out to be.  For those complaining about cost, I definitely recommend paying attention to deals.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »
Please expand on the chip on my shoulder!

Yes, hypothetically, the men we really want to shack up will have the exact same aesthetic/philosophical/practical ideals as us.

I am indisputably stubborn and also disillusioned by the promises of "just do exactly what you want and the man you really want will 100% coincide with your natural preferences, or else you wouldn't want to be with him anyway!"... as that totally did not pan out empirically.

It just seems that you're quite excessively annoyed by women who slack off (in your view) on shaving because you don't think their perception of it being a hassle is acceptable reason to you, which is a bit odd when you claim you're all for people being "free to be you and me." So I don't get the rant, but hey, if starting to shave was all it took for you to get a man, I'm glad it paid off for you. :)

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
I don't wear pants, so I need hosiery through the winter. I used to kill a lot of pairs of black tights. You can mend holes in the toes, but once the crotch rips out, the pair is mostly shot, and they're uncomfortable to boot. I switched to wool stockings (Very soft, very warm) and a garter belt, and it's WAY better. The stockings last forever, and when I need to wear the odd pair of sheers, if one snags, the entire pair isn't lost; you just discard the laddered one and keep using the other.

Where do you find these?

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
I just can't imagine wanting to be with someone so much that spending ~20 mins/day (how long it takes me to shave my legs) wouldn't seem insane. But then I've always been much happier by myself than when I've been dating. That's over 6 days a year spent shaving! If I live to over 90 like most of my female relatives, over a year of my life would be spent shaving! Sorry, just being hot isn't going to cut it, they'd have to give me a kidney or something for me to bother with that nonsense for them.

melissak

« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2013, 12:10:21 AM »
So maybe I'm lucky, it takes me 2 minute to shave, not 20, so I don't find it inconvenient at all.

Like I said, I understand in theory the whole "the person I want to be with won't care if I do/don't x" but in reality I find there's also things that everyone finds viscerally attractive or unattractive, end of story. Like a man I knew who broke up with someone because he just didn't like her smell. He didn't think she smelled bad, it just wasn't for him. Then you read scientific research saying that people are attracted to the pheremones of people who have compatible genes to them, as opposed to being their cousins. This is a totally random example, my point being that people find different things viscerally attractive or unattractive and it's not necessarily philosophically neat and clean, or easily summed up in aphorisms.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm so happy this thread exists! Woman Power! Woo!

I used to be in this crazy cycle which I'd like to share with you all since there are probably others in a similar situation:

1. Drink too much because you're "young" and "fun" and (let's be honest)  kind of depressed.
2. Have horrible skin, weight gain, and hangovers, etc. from "fun" lifestyle.
3. Buy crazy expensive makeup, clothes, and skin products to slow negative affects of "fun" lifestyle.
4. Realize said products don't work, try new ones and have no money.
5. Repeat.

Fast forward to being in possession of a growing lady stache (does that sound filthy to anyone else?). I started working out like crazy again (aerial arts and dance), because of my workout schedule my drinking naturally decreased (drastically). My moods got better because feeling strong and toned makes me happy and not like crap all the time. My stress decreased because I was no longer worried about my unhealthy lifestyle, and now I no longer have need for crazy products because my skin looks fantastic.

I use Ponds cold cream cleanser for face wash, about $7 a container.
Generic Shampoo and Conditioner.
I spring for Miss Jessies hair cream (biracial very curly hair, it does WONDERS) $35 but lasts a year and half.
I have expensive SPF 30 sunscreen that's basically just zinc. About $15 but lasts 5+ months.
Argan Oil for moisturizer, if extra is needed.
I do a honey face mask once a week, keep epsom salt for muscle soaks and have some essential oils for aromatherapy (makes me feel feminine and pampered).
I'm on bc pills so I actually don't get a period at all anymore- IT'S INCREDIBLE.

As for makeup I have a random assortment of things that I basically never use, occasionally I'll do eyeliner and mascara, or go barefaced with bright red lips (or black, I'm funky like that) but that's about it. I find usually I want to wear makeup when I don't feel confident in my own skin, which is usually when my lifestyle has become less healthy or something isn't going well emotionally. When my body is toned and taut, and my belly is full of veggies and healthy carbs, and my meditation practice is going well, I feel fabulous.

The one thing you would have to pry from my dead cold hands would be my razors and shaving cream. I spend more on that than anything else because I am a BEAST. Faerie white skin and black as coal hair, just bushels of it, thanks mom and dad! But that's my secret, and now yours, you're welcome.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »

1. Drink too much because you're "young" and "fun" and (let's be honest)  kind of depressed.
2. Have horrible skin, weight gain, and hangovers, etc. from "fun" lifestyle.
3. Buy crazy expensive makeup, clothes, and skin products to slow negative affects of "fun" lifestyle.
4. Realize said products don't work, try new ones and have no money.
5. Repeat.

Boy that cycle sounds really familiar to me ;) Getting off the crazy booze-pimples-makeup-depression-booze train did make a huge difference in my appearance and my mental health. Or at the very least, I feel like I look better, which is really all that counts when it's all subjective anyway. And when I stick with it, I save a crapton of money. Although now I think my taste in beer quality has gone up to account for the reduction in beer quantity, so I could probably still improve on that front (just bein' honest). But hey at least the pimples are fewer and more far between, which means I can get away with relatively little in skincare and foundation, wahoo!

Mae80s

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
Great thread!

Hair: Get it cut twice a year. Either at a cheap salon or at a hair-school. About $40 each time with tax and tip. I have always been low-maintenance, so it's a wash and go haircut. Usually need to buy a defrizzing serum once a year. Get salon quality shampoo and conditioner in bulk at a discount store. Only wash my hair 1-2 times a week. The very few hair elastics and clips I own come from the dollar store. I also hate hair accessories, thankfully.

Clothes: Despise shopping, so when I do need something, I set a budget, do some research and go. I would like to have more patience and talent at getting stuff at thrift stores - all I see is crap and can't be assed to sort through the bins. However, when I buy new, I never ever pay full retail value. Always on sale.

Nails: Have never been into manicures/pedicures/nail polish. Yay for having man-hands!

Makeup: I'll run out or need to replace 2-3  items per year. Probably spend about $35-40  per year on this. Stick to the classics, but will mix it up for eye-shadow and lipstick when I buy a new one of those. Own 2-3 of both. Not into trends and try to buy on sale.

Periods: Diva Cup. Best investment ever.

Exercise: Ride my bike and run. Also stream work out videos on-line. Bought weight set on sale ... I'm trying to find a Beachbody work out set used on craigslist at the moment.

Hair removal: I am a hairy beast with dark hair and pale skin. Razors for legs, bikini and underarms. At-home waxing for arms (only in the summer $20) ... tweezing for eyebrows. Have been using Groupons to get laser hair removal on my upper lip and chin. $100 for six sessions. Need another 10 or so. Totally worth it, the hair is black and it will be gone forever!

Everything Else: Dollar store discounts for brand name toothpaste, soap and deodorant. Rotate using different facewash, sunscreen and moisturizer. Stick to drug store brands as my dermatologist said the fancy stuff is a waste of money.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:26:36 PM by Mae80s »

OregonGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
RE:  Going grey / stopping hair color
I just wanted to mention that I have recently tried a hair color remover (found on Amazon; worked pretty well for me) and am growing out my hair color so that my natural grey will be "on display."    I can't remember the brand I used, but can look it up if people are interested.

I wanted to let other Grey Staches on the forum that there are several "purple" shampoos available that are specifically designed for grey hair.  They remove brassiness and brighten the grey quite well.   I got lots of compliments on my hair when I was naturally grey (before I caved in to the demands of job searching and started coloring again . . . . aaarrgh!)  Oh well, I'm re-retired now so no more hair coloring for me.  (I'm 62.)

The brand of shampoo I am using is Shiny Silver Ultra and I got it at a local beauty supply shop (Sally Beauty Supply).  There are several brands available, though, and probably can be found online too. 

So I hope this is helpful to those who have mentioned that their grey hair isn't "pretty grey."  This can really add some style to your hair, and it's a fairly cheap experiment.  I think I paid less than $9 for the shampoo. 

brighteye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
Some of you have mentioned issues with body hair. I have a lot of thick, dark hair under my armpits. I never wear sleeveless shirts because even when I just shaved my armpits, the hair is still visible. 
Has anyone tried one of the IPL systems for home use? Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Precision-Removal-Attachment-Shipping/dp/B00E2QQC5A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1382081311&sr=8-5&keywords=philips+lumea
I read a lot of positive reviews about this, but there are other models too (f.ex. Remington I-Light). They are not permanent like a professional hair removal, so the hair grows back when you stop using them. But the device should last a couple of years, considering I would use it once per month (after the initial intensive period of every week/two weeks). And I could be hair free! Right now I am really tempted to get one (I found the Philips Lumea for about $300) but I am still undecided.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Use Veet Easy Wax Electrical home waxing kit... It's super fast (about 20 mins to wax legs) and easy to use (unlike every other home waxing solution I have tried), and unlike shaving should last even the hairiest girl at least 2 weeks - up to 6 weeks for less hairy people. You can also use it for armpits, bikini etc - should last at least a week even if you are hairy. Doesn't take significantly longer than shaving. (Well except you have to let the thing heat up first for half an hour, but you can let it heat while you do other things.) And apparently, I'm yet to see this - after 10 years of waxing your hair never grows back. (Has worked for other people I know).

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
Hair removal:
I can vouch for hair growing back thinner with consistent waxing.
I have sensitive skin, but am very hirsute if left to my own devices, so I don't feel that leaving my legs au naturale is an option for me (cycling and hairs making tiny and very painful knots, etc). However shaving is a PITA as:
a) It takes so long
b) I need to do it DAILY in summer (or at the least, every other day)
c) My skin reacts badly to it
So I swapped to waxing. Or more specifically, 'sugaring' which can be done at home, and requires sugar, honey, old cotton strips and a stove. It is MUCH cheaper than commercial waxing and leaves my skin in a better condition. And slowly but surely, the hairs on my legs are taking longer and longer to grow back, so the 'in between' parts are pretty bearable (I also have blond-ish hair).

I also wax my armpits about once a week (TMI???) if I can remember, because it minimises the number of times I have to shave them, and reduces odour a LOT. Yes is it painful, but it doesnt' take too long.

Deoderant:
Stopped using commercial deoderants except for the odd occasions that I want an anti-perspirant. I make a deoderant 'cream' using coconut oil, baking soda, a bit of cornstarch and a few drops of whatever fragrance I fancy. Costs peanuts (less than $5 per annum) and works just as well (if not better) than commercial stuff for odour reduction. Heaps of similar recipes on Google.

Hair:
Decided that a pixie cut with my very quick growing hair was a waste of money (needed a haircut less than every four weeks to prevent mullet formation). Grew out my hair, get a hair cut once or twice a year.
About eighteen months ago I switched to using baking soda and vinegar to wash hair (for about 90% of washes). There was a 'phase in' period of about three months but now my hair is quite happy with being washed every 5-7 days. Hair products now cost me less than $15 per annum.

Periods:
Diva cup + a heap of cloth pads I purchased years ago which are just only starting to wear out now (I have saved hundreds per year by swapping to non-disposable items)

Clothes: I have a small wardrobe, and everything fits in there. Everything in there is mended at least once prior to turfing out. Mixture of op-shopped clothing and clothing purchased for specific purposes (after waiting at least a fortnight to deliberate). Underwear excepted, I won't purchase a clothing item unless something else wears out.

Guess what? I don't spend much money on girly things, but still manage to feel very feminine.

krenwren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
I am in my late 50's and grew up in a time when women didn't always wear makeup, so I never got used to using it very much. 
I have never dyed my hair, and it is going gray. 
I second Mrs. MM about keeping fit. 

Whoever you are, you are my doppelganger!  I have never worn makeup, I revealed my grey about three years ago and while I don't spend money on classes, I do jog/run 3-4 days a week and try to do some sort of weight work a couple of times a week.  I figure a reasonable diet and fitness regimen, great life outlook and spirit should get me through.  I do work in a environment that rewards skill not appearance.  I don't envy women that have to compete in an "appearance important" work place.   

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »
Agreed.working in my casual office easily saves 1000+ after tax dollars a year compared to my previous job... And so much hassle saved too!

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
I had a half head of blonde foils put in my hair for years, and recently decided this was crap and I'd like to grow out my natural light ash brown colour. So I put a ash blonde hair colour through the lot. Unfortunately, my hair gets really brassy really quickly and I've now got this horrible orange colour despite purple shampoo and purple toner. Anyone think colour remover would remove the orange and at least go back to the blond-ish colour?

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
Question for you lady stachers....if you commute to work on a bike, what kind of bike do you recommend? There is a good conversation going on here about buying a basic commuter bike. Lots of the responses are for men's bikes. What about for the ladies?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
Question for you lady stachers....if you commute to work on a bike, what kind of bike do you recommend? There is a good conversation going on here about buying a basic commuter bike. Lots of the responses are for men's bikes. What about for the ladies?

For reference, I commute about 9km (6mi?) each way.

I have a men's flat-bar road bike. Better-than-average quality, to make it a nicer ride (encourages me to use it more!). Put a bike rack on it so I can handle lovely panniers and I have a couple of 'handbag' bags that I can attach to the rack. The panniers are lovely- I spent too much money on them, but they are locally made by a company that is hugely environmentally conscious, and canvas will last forever (and they are six years old now and despite a hard life, are going strong). You can add a lot of personality to an otherwise plain bike by a good set of commuter panniers (there are some great non-sporty ones out there if you hunt). I purchased the brightest set of lights I could afford and a reflective sash, as I do a lot of riding at dusk. I chose my bike because it appears relatively nondescript if I take off my lights and panniers, so it is less of a thief target. I was warned off the more classic ladies 'commuter' bikes with the really upright posture, probably because 9km up and down the hills I negotiate would be too slow/hard work. YMMV (ha!) depending on distance and riding conditions. Because I am a bit of a speed freak I think if I were commuting much farther than I am I would get drop bars, just because they are more comfortable on my hands and arms (as they offer a wider range of hand positions) but this is personal preference.

In terms of clothes, it depends. Short trips I often do in street wear. And I can ride a bike in short heels too. I will ride in a slightly-above-the-knee skirt or dress with opaque tights or leggings (or lycra) which has been fine- have had to trial the skirts-and-leggings combination to ensure the skirt doesn't stick or ride up   (ha!) while cycling. I have one of these too which I occasionally use: http://cyclestyle.com.au/shop/accessories/skirt-garter/ This means that I can ride to a social event and not need to change at all. At work I need to change into a set uniform anyway, and the summers are hot enough here that for half the year I am sticky by the time I get to work anyway, so I so often wear a pair of leggings or a set of cycling shorts and t-shirt for riding to and from work. You wouldn't necessarily need to do that though and I know several people who amble to work in their work attire, or part of it (e.g. keep a set of dress shoes at work, so you don't need to cart them around).

Long post (sorry!) but hope this helps.

krenwren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
Has anyone ever grown out the gray and had the hairdresser (or yourself) do partial color or highlights as it grew out? I want to stop coloring, but I can't do the line of gray for a year. Or should I just go for a butch short haircut and be done with it?

I cut mine very short in order to get to grey.  I had temporary color in it so it didn't take long to get rid of the color.  I am finally letting it grow out a little.  I love the freedom from having to keep up color and the cost was ridiculous.  In my area for a really great colorist, you could spend $200 easily. 

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »
Has anyone ever grown out the gray and had the hairdresser (or yourself) do partial color or highlights as it grew out? I want to stop coloring, but I can't do the line of gray for a year. Or should I just go for a butch short haircut and be done with it?
I cut mine very short in order to get to grey.  I had temporary color in it so it didn't take long to get rid of the color.  I am finally letting it grow out a little.  I love the freedom from having to keep up color and the cost was ridiculous.  In my area for a really great colorist, you could spend $200 easily.

Well ladies, it has been since late August and I've been growing out the grey. I thought I would bothered by having the gray coming in, but I've just soldiered on. Tuesday I get about 6 inches chopped into something spiky and short. Color at my salon was $90 (pre-MMM) about 3 times per year (I'd hold out as long as I could). $270 x 10 years will compound to $4.5k. I'll admit I have irrational thoughts like, "People will say I look older than my mother." And then I realize, Who The Fuck Cares? I'm buying my freedom!

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »
Well ladies, it has been since late August and I've been growing out the grey. I thought I would bothered by having the gray coming in, but I've just soldiered on. Tuesday I get about 6 inches chopped into something spiky and short. Color at my salon was $90 (pre-MMM) about 3 times per year (I'd hold out as long as I could). $270 x 10 years will compound to $4.5k. I'll admit I have irrational thoughts like, "People will say I look older than my mother." And then I realize, Who The Fuck Cares? I'm buying my freedom!

Good on you! I am 39 and still trying to summon up the bravery to stop dyeing. You are an inspiration, I will keep checking in here to see how things are going. One day I may join you.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:47:55 PM by Moomingirl »

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

This might be a good thread for you:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/cruisercomfort-bikes/msg131878/#msg131878

// mrs WW

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
Awesome topic!

Hair: I'm 34 and am starting to see a few grays, but am just letting them come in.  My hair is light brown so I'm hoping that they'll blend in somewhat with my natural highlights :)  I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but if any of you live near an Aveda school/institute you can get a fantastic haircut from a senior student for less than $15.  They also do color for about $40 (here in the Midwest) if you are looking to shrink your hair budget.  I go about twice a year for haircuts which runs me a cool $30 a year-- gratuity is not expected or accepted! Other than that I use a styling balm that is $20 but lasts me 6 months, and whatever hairspray is cheapest when I do my shopping.

Hair removal: ugh -- still shaving.  Perhaps it's time to give sugaring a go...

Lady bits: looking forward to trying the diva cup after my pregnancy

Nails: have always done on my own.  It skeeves me out a bit to think about pedis especially.  Yes, I have trust issues :)

Makeup: I take care of my fair complexion with ultra gentle face wash and moisturizer, and luckily can get by with just tinted lip balm.  For special occasions I'll throw on concealer, mascara and some eyeshadow.

Clothes: I work in a laboratory and am in casual clothes the majority of the time - usually a Gap T, jeans and sneakers all covered by my lab coat.

Exercise:  walking and hiking can always be done for $0.  I also do some of the exercise videos included with Amazon prime.

Hygiene: arm and hammer toothpaste and listerine with peroxide have saved my teeth and gums.  My hygienist actually said "wow!" The last time I had my cleaning.  I also use A&H deo since it is usually on sale for $1 and works great.  Other than that I'm not a slave to any particular brand.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
Hair: Baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  No heat touches my hair.  I do my own haircuts, and I've landed on a style that takes little work.  Been doing this for 5 years, and I'll never go back to shampoo.  My hairdresser friend said my hair is like a child's hair, completely un-abused.

Hair Removal: I shave my pits with a normal razor with replaceable heads.  Don't really shave much else, since I don't have much hair on my legs.

Lady bits: Spent 4 of the last 5 years without my monthly visitor (preggo & nursing), but that part of my life is over, so I'm off to pick up a Diva cup.

Makeup: I have sensitive skin, so I don't wash my face.  Like ever.  Unless it actually has something on it, in which case I wash the area that's dirty.  I occasionally use a dab of mineral makeup around the eyes, and I wear fancy-pants low toxicity mascara, because my eyelashes are transparent.  Estimated makeup costs are <$40/yr.

Clothes: All thrift store shopping and minimalist wardrobe.  I've probably spent <$25 on clothes for myself this year.

Exercise:  Getting back into bike riding after having kiddos and surgery.  I bought a bike trailer to haul them around in, so I'm about to be a hoss. :-)

Hygiene: Tom's toothpaste and Desert Essence mouthwash, plus regular flossing.    Bathe with castile soap, used sparingly, and I don't wear deoderant.  I hardly ever sweat, but if I do, a dab of baking soda in the pits does the trick. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:05:18 PM by jpcrowe »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

That's fantastic!  I stopped coloring almost 3 years ago and never looked back.  I love the convenience of not having to think about it.  I love my hair now (it is about 50% gray) and the money I'm saving is nothing to sneeze at either.  And yes, my almost 70 year old mother still colors her hair but I don't think I look older and, even if I did, I really don't care ;-)

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
Ordered a mooncup today (like a diva cup) I didn't go through an awful lot of sanitary products as I'm quite light, but I reckon I'll start saving money in a year and of course there's the environmental and health benefits.

Have always been very low maintenance on the hair-makeup-beauty front. I always used to feel bad about it (like I didn't care about myself if I didn't spend money on those things) but now I think I'm coming round to the idea that I am doing just fine thanks and I cherish the money I saved not buying it (although pre-MMM so not much of that is evident now)

I like to spend money on natural moisturisers/solid shampoo and cocoa butter body cream (smells like chocolate - worth every penny). I wear makeup only when I have a choir performance and sometimes when we go out in the evening.  I get my hair cut professionally maybe twice a year if that (going to track down some hairdressing scissors and try one of the you tube DIY cuts) I have never coloured by hair in my life, and plan not to even when I go more grey. (I'm 31 now) My mum went really silvery, so I guess I'll just have to put up with it when it's in-between. I know it makes you look older, but frankly we can't deny that forever. I might change my mind when it happens, but we will cross that bridge then. I've started using tweezers more often for my eyebrows instead of my already-infrequent trips to get them shaped. I don't shave very often, especially not in the winter, and I buy blades in 'bulk' on ebay for half the price. Am about to switch to a non-alu/non-paraben deodorant too. Not sure if it'll be much cheaper, but I'm finding I can often do without if i'm not running around so should be fine.

Clothes are tricky because I've hardly bought a thing this year (or the previous 3), but I really need a new classic coat and some other basics. I only have one pair of jeans I'd want to wear out of the house and that coat must be 5+ years old and is too fashion-y to still be wearing. I do like clothes, but buy in fits and starts and need to be careful of emergency panic buying for special events and the like. Working from home most of the time has meant my wardrobe is mainly denim and warm hoodies and so although I don't need to spend a ton, I could do myself a huge favour (and confidence boost) by spending some sensible money.

Great to have a lady 'stache thread to help us (and other people) see that the trappings of being a lady are neither obligatory nor expensive if wanted. I like the quote above. "who the F cares? I'm buying my freedom!"

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »

This might be a good thread for you:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/cruisercomfort-bikes/msg131878/#msg131878

// mrs WW

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen your reply until now.

Ladies, I think I might invest in a diva cup. I'm worried about using it at work, though. There is one bathroom that is just for one person (so it has its own sink). I was concerned about how I would clean it at work since we have a bathroom with stalls and the sinks outside of the stalls. But if I used the single bathroom, it might work!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »

Ladies, I think I might invest in a diva cup. I'm worried about using it at work, though. There is one bathroom that is just for one person (so it has its own sink). I was concerned about how I would clean it at work since we have a bathroom with stalls and the sinks outside of the stalls. But if I used the single bathroom, it might work!

Unless your period is SUPER heavy, you likely won't have to change it at work.  Most women can leave theirs in 12 hours before rinsing (morning/night) and never have to worry about the work situation, or any not-at-home-situation.  I only have to change at work one day per cycle, which is ridiculously heavy by any standards. 

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:14 AM »

Unless your period is SUPER heavy, you likely won't have to change it at work.  Most women can leave theirs in 12 hours before rinsing (morning/night) and never have to worry about the work situation, or any not-at-home-situation.  I only have to change at work one day per cycle, which is ridiculously heavy by any standards.

Good to know! I couldn't really grasp how much it holds and how often you have to empty it.

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »
I have had good experience with reusable cloth pads, especially if you are squeamish about a diva cup. (I'm not but my daughter is.) This company might be a bit pricey but compared to disposable pads you easily make it back in short order: http://www.partypantspads.com/

I don't color my graying hair, I don't wear makeup, and I use baking soda & vinegar to wash & condition my hair. What I say about not looking "the part" is that I'm changing what "the part" looks like. I'm not doing anything drastically rebellious. I don't think most people even notice. I barely notice whether people are wearing makeup. When I make an effort to notice, what I notice is that more and more people don't wear makeup.

You can choose to wear makeup and dye your hair. That's fine. But don't pretend like you have to, to justify the expense. It's your choice.