Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140088 times)

Osprey

Lady staches?
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Hi

Any advanced lady mustachians out there? I find myself spending money in areas where my boyfriend doesn't: hair cuts, makeup, lingerie, etc. I really enjoy these trappings of femininity. Pretty sure this is anti-mustachian!

Over the past few months I have made some changes: using bicarb to wash my hair; olive oil as moisturiser; minimal makeup; an epilator instead of razors or wax; a small neutrals-based mix&match wardrobe. I am very proud of these new habits but I know I can do more.

Mrs MMM had a post about lady-trappings being unnecessary but I can't seem to let go of wanting to "spoil myself" and "look good". It's part vanity and part fear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A million thank yous in advance...

onehappypanda

• Stubble
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Dunno if I can be considered an "advanced lady stache" since I'm a brokeass graduate student who just started really paying attention to her cash flow. BUT I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this since I'm both girly and reluctant to spend too much money on overly frivolous things.

I have "lady-trappings" but I try to be fairly simple/minimalist with them. Which means I wear makeup, but I mostly try to make do with my current tiny makeup 'stash instead of shelling out for new trends every season. I try to get creative and mix things up so I don't get bored. I'm on a roll with not buying new items unless it's replacing another item that I deem as necessary. I pay close attention to cost/oz. for staple items so I get the most bang for my buck.  I have fairly minimal skincare- cleanser, moisturizer, SPF, acne treatment. If I want a fancy mask or scrub, I'll make a homemade version with stuff in my cupboards (oatmeal, yogurt, honey, all work as brilliant skincare items). When I get my haircut, I ask for a style that'll be easy to replicate without many products or much time. I won't color my hair until it starts turning gray, though admittedly the women in my family tend to gray early and I don't plan to accept it without a fight.

Like you, I try to stick with a fairly minimal wardrobe and seeing it as a challenge to mix and match what I have. If I need to replace something, I scour secondhand stores to see if I can find it there before shelling out at a store. If I do buy something new, I go for the most long lasting item I can find in a reasonable budget. I don't buy clothes that don't work for my life (like most heels, which I can't walk in). I'm slowly learning to mend and repair minor issues so I can milk every bit of life out of my clothes.

Lately I've spent less time and money on clothes/makeup and more getting outside, eating healthy food, developing healthy habits. I figure if I look fairly healthy and fit, then I'll look good even in old clothes with minimal makeup. Not that I'm ever going to be a model that can put on a sack and look great, but I can at least look decent in a plain tee and jeans.  Being healthy is a way of taking care of myself AND my appearance that's relatively cheap.

I'm sure there are women with far more mustachian habits than me who can chime in. Basically, mine comes down to "use what you have, replace if necessary, don't buy new if possible".  But thus far, in my infant years of learning to budget and save, this is how I've maintained a look I enjoy without spending a substantial portion of my money on it.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
Great topic!  I hope you don't mind if I pipe in.  :)

There are certain areas of lady-hood that I do participate in.  For example, I tweeze my eyebrows, but luckily that just requires a one-time purchase of tweezers (I've had them waxed maybe 3 times in my life, but I can see how some would get in the habit).  I also get my hair cut at a salon, but I do it once a year on my birthday.  I own nail polish that I've had for several years and occasionally I'll put some on my toenails.  I also shave with a razor, but I do it in the shower and I find my razors last a really long time.  Finally, I own some make-up, but I only use it on special occasions when I want to look good so it also lasts a very long time. 

I've mentioned this before, but I think the thing that makes me feel the most awesome is exercise and being fit and healthy.  I spoil myself with an expensive membership to a crossfit gym, but it is worth it to me.  However, before joining crossfit, I ran and biked a lot and did "free" activities, which were equally energizing.  I think that after giving birth, when I was at an all-time low in the confidence/looks department, is when I started thinking about buying stuff more.  But, once I got back in shape, those cravings went away.

I think that like other things, adapting a do-it-yourself attitude makes a big difference.  Women spend a lot on outsourcing their beauty with services (manicures, pedicures, haircuts, waxing, etc.), but you can do these things yourself at home.  Plus, if you limit these things to special occasions, then they feel better when you do them.

I think the key is to not make these things a habit, but to make them count when you do them and make sure you get full enjoyment from them.  And, of course, to learn to appreciate your real beauty (inside and out).

P.S. I don't buy lingerie or much clothing, but when I do, I make sure it is something I love.  For example, I spent a long time recently finding the right bathing suit.  I love it and now I know I have a great bathing suit to wear for years to come.  I do the same thing with my wardrobe, although everything I have is pretty casual and sporty (I'm not very fancy). 

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
I can't claim to be an advanced mustachian, but I don't tend to spend much on feminine things. It can be tough though when you are still working (as I am). I'm going to be applying for new jobs soon and I really feel like I am judged on appearance more than guys: meaning I will need to get my hair dyed again to cover the greys (I'm only 35 and look a fair bit younger except for the grey hairs) and get my eyebrows waxed in order to look 'professional' enough for interviewing. I might even need to buy some make-up, which I never usually bother wearing.

I completely agree with onehappypanda and Mrs MM about focusing on living a healthy lifestyle rather than spending loads of money on clothes, make-up, spa treatments and so on. I spend about 7 or so hours a week at the gym (I know, there are cheaper ways to get your exercise, but I really enjoy group exercise classes and it's my main form of recreation during the week) and drink lots of water, and as well as the health benefits, it means my complexion looks fine without make-up, and I look okay in presentable but not overly expensive clothes. My Mum spends hours doing her make-up and styling her hair, and I've never understood why people would want to waste that much time, then say they don't have time to exercise :-/

Despite not wearing make-up or getting manicures, I do succumb to societal pressure regarding hair removal. Like Mrs MM, I own a razor and tweezers. I find it hard to get the eyebrow shape right though so get my brows waxed once in a while, then keep them in check with tweezers until they are obviously in need of a proper re-shaping again. I get my waxing and hair styling (simple timeless style that is low maintenance) done by students at the local College, which keeps the costs down.

Osprey

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
Thank you all for the detailed and useful advice!

I did not completely make the link between health and lipstick until reading your replies but of course it seems obvious now. More time spent being healthy = more likely to look and feel good = less time and inclination to buy things that make me look and feel good!

Simplifying routines and using products until they are finished is difficult, but I see how it can make a big difference. The same for making haircuts a rare treat instead of a quick pick-me-up. Hair removal is the bane of my existence though, but I guess this is not the place to complain about patriarchy and such :)

My biggest breakthrough today is "ah-hah"ing that making changes to my mindset will help me be content with the changes that I make to my habits. Thank goodness for this forum!

LBistro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
Although expensive haircuts are not my temptation in life, I have a friend who likes to keep her hair short and bold and she shared with me this tip: stylists looking for a promotion at their salon frequently look for hair models on Craigslist. Free haircut!

Obvious cons to the plan are 1) these postings are usually put up with short notice, 2) often the stylist needs to demonstrate a certain style, i.e. "above the shoulders" or "no layers," and 3) you might get a more inexperienced hairstylist than you usually pay for. It may be that experienced hairstylists wanting to move forward in their careers occasionally need models too...someone with more knowledge of the biz would know this.

Anyway, searching "free haircut" my local Craigslist pulled up a few of these ads for hair models, one posted as recently as two days ago. Might be worth a call to your favorite salons to see if they ever do this and if they can put you on a contact list.

EDIT: searching "hair model" on the Craiglist "services" board came up with a ton of results!

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=4&subAreaID=&query=hair+model&catAbb=bbb
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:10:34 PM by LBistro »

msmo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »
Although expensive haircuts are not my temptation in life, I have a friend who likes to keep her hair short and bold and she shared with me this tip: stylists looking for a promotion at their salon frequently look for hair models on Craigslist. Free haircut!

I forgot about this option! As I get older I find myself less into staying in style. However, as I get older, I feel like I need more maintenance, especially for the professional scene. $80 haircuts twice a year was normal for me until about three years ago. I've been letting it grow out and feeling pretty frumpy because of it.

Also, I have to admit this zone is the hardest for me to adapt to in the Mustachian way.  I can fend of the shiny magazines and tv ads, but am weak to the influence of my mother. (Hopefully the money spent on therapy will eventually recoup itself in this regard.)

fritta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I work out hard 6 days a week, and I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I am still trying to shake the sugar habit though. Anyways, it takes me about 15 minutes to get ready everyday. I shower, comb my hair, and get dressed. I would much rather spend my time working out than putting on makeup or doing my hair. I think this all works out better in the warmer months when you can actually see the results of your work by wearing shorts, sundresses etc. In the winter, I do feel a bit frumpy at times.

Scoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »
Oh, this is the second most difficult part of embracing a more mustachian lifestyle (for me, personally).

I've come a long way, though. About two years ago at the ripe old age of 24 when I started to get the first inkling that my habit of spending more than I earned wasn't going to do me any favors in the long run, I began seriously tracking and recording all of my expenses. What I saw after a year of recording shocked me. The "routine upkeep" of my "rebellious" haircolors (blue, pink, fire-engine red, whatever) were costing me upwards of $2000 annually. The day I saw that, I decided to stop coloring my hair entirely. I also decided to change my hair care routine at the same time and stopped using styling products or any heat tools (including a blow dryer). I also switched to more natural, paraben-and-sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.

It took a while to develop a positive attitude about it, but now my natural dark-blonde color has grown out about 7 inches and I can't wait to be one of the only women I know with long, shiny, totally natural and virgin hair. It might not be long before I start going gray - I figure I might as well enjoy my natural color while I have it. I am (so far) fully committed to embracing gray hair when it comes, though. I think that's so admirable and beautiful.

Beyond the hair, my beauty routines have always been simple. Some $1.50 generic body lotion, some mascara, and chapstick. I do wear nail polish daily, but I have never gotten a professional manicure. I have a few $2 bottles from Target and I've gotten very good (through practice) at doing near-perfect manis at home. I have an epilator for hair removal (ouch!). I have only a handful of mix-and-match basic outfits bought at rock-bottom clearance prices.

Do I feel frumpy sometimes? You bet. But I know it has absolutely nothing to do with my cosmetics/fashion, or lack thereof. I do not feel any less beautiful now than I did before I began growing my money mustache. I keep myself clean and neat and presentable, like always. If I feel dumpy on a given day, it's usually because my skin doesn't look great, or I feel bloated or gained a few pounds, which (as Mrs. MM sagely pointed out) is all about diet and lifestyle choices, not purchases.

Moneyisntlove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
Hi All:
Occasionally I treat myself to girly lotions, etc.  AT THE DOLLAR STORE!  You can have a lot of fun for about five bucks!  (Just made some nice bath stuff baskets for my girls for Valentine's Day). 
I also just checked out one of those neighborhood circulars that you get for free in the mail, and noticed that they have really good coupons for things like eight dollar haircuts.
However, I"m an older stash (47) and I have to confess that my weakness is BOTOX (I tell myself it's for work, but mostly it's for me!).  Just found a coupon for 9 bucks a unit, rather than the usual 11 or 12 -- which is good, since I usually need about 10 units every three months.

Aleysia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
I applaud you for starting to cut back on the consumerism surrounding various girl products, and it looks like you're going more natural as a side-benefit too. I use sweet almond oil as a moisturizer and apple cider vinegar for my hair myself, and they've worked as well as any bottled chemicals have.

My personal take is that frugality is critical but, as MMM would say, not at the cost of making yourself miserable. Many things that we want (healthy food, exercise, etc.) can be obtained for much more cheaply than the average consumer pays for them, and that is the goal I think -- not cutting them out completely if they're important to us. Whether or not the things that are important to us ought to be important to us is a separate discussion that is definitely worth having, but nonetheless separate.

It's also a matter of what each individual is used to (which is not to say you can't get used to doing things differently) as well as environment. I have kind of a quirky personality/upbringing and I've passed 25 years of my life without caring to get a manicure, pedicure, profession waxing, you name it. But in my workplace environment, I do feel the need to look more than passably presentable, so I tweeze, wax, and trim my cuticles at home and such. No nail polish or makeup though, as I have sensitive skin and a slight paranoia about chemicals. So I would probably fall under the category of fairly frugal in this area, but I still consider, say, tweezers to be a purchase well worth the cost. It's where I personally drew my line, based on what's important to me, and that's where everyone's mileage is going to vary.

lastwaysleft

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
I wear some eye makeup almost every day, since I'm young and single and for years never wore makeup.  I also use natural personal care products, which tend to be more expensive even though I do try to buy them in bulk.

Another weakness is that I get my hair cut professionally every 3 months, on the dot.  My hair is very fine and short-ish, so if I go longer than 3 months without a haircut it starts getting frizzy and stringy looking.  I would get my haircut more often, but I force myself to wait the full three months.  It works out to $120 a year, but as I love my hairdresser and she works magic, my haircuts always make me feel good so I think it's well worth it.

What's the deal with epilators?  Do they hurt?  How much are they, and how long do they last?  Thanks!

mugwump

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI and watching my 'stache grow.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
I am in my late 50's and grew up in a time when women didn't always wear makeup, so I never got used to using it very much.  Now I use foundation and lipstick about once a day (the lipstick lasts forever).  I should use the lipstick more often, but I forget. I am getting 'older' skin, so I use Target-brand anti-ageing lotion and eye cream.  I used to use a fancy pyramid marketing brand, but it was expensive and the packaging was horrible.  The Target stuff works almost as well.

I have never dyed my hair, and it is going gray.  I've thought about dying it, as the gray does make me look older, but feminist knee-jerk reaction and just plain laziness have kept me from it so far. I keep it short and get it cut about every 6-8 weeks.  I have been told that it looks good.

I second Mrs. MM about keeping fit.  It's much more important to keep going on exercise that you enjoy than to spend on fancy treatments and makeup.  I spend on ballet classes, and am planning to start spending more on massage, since I developed shoulder problems last year and spent several hundred dollars on doctors and chiropractors.  I would rather have spent the money on massage and felt better for it.

Scoot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
What's the deal with epilators?  Do they hurt?  How much are they, and how long do they last?  Thanks!

Hair removal is the bane of my existence. I switched to an epilator for a few reasons: A) my leg hair is apparently made of steel and completely dulls even the most expensive razor after just one use, B) I find tweezing individual hairs to be excruciatingly painful and tedious, C) I felt like waxing constantly was damaging my skin (all the pulling and stretching and ripping and sometimes pulling off some surface skin), and D) trimmers just don't give me that baby-soft skin I look for when I shave or wax or whatever.

Yes, the epilator hurts. It feels exactly like you would expect it to feel - I'm not going to lie to you. It definitely feels like you are ripping clumps of hair out. The good news is that it does NOT feel as bad as individually plucking several hairs, since it happens very fast, and you do build up a little bit of a tolerance to it. I do not have particularly sensitive skin, but my pain threshold is pretty low. Your mileage may vary, but it's been worthwhile for me. You'd have to bribe me with a LOT of money to try it on my underarms or other more sensitive areas, though. That skin is much more wimpy than legs, so I do keep a razor on hand for that sort of thing.

I use a Braun Silk-Epil Soft Perfection epilator. It cost about $30 from Amazon, and it's the kind that has tons of tiny little tweezer heads that open and close (I'm pretty sure that's how they all work now). If I had it to do again, I would've read more reviews and bought a somewhat more expensive and more efficient model. Mine is fine, and it still works the same after a year of heavy use, but it does miss some hairs and cut others rather than fully removing them. My mother has used an Epilady since the 1980s when those first hit the market - the kind with that coiled-up Slinky-looking spring that catches your hairs and rips them out like some bracelets do to your arm hairs. Hers still works absolutely perfectly after almost 30 years, but hurts a lot more. I'm sure mine won't last more than a few years.

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
    • Heartland House Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
This is a fascinating thread! And this is the Stella half of Landor n Stella posting.

Since I work in a very professional atmosphere, I have to keep up with appearances and "dress up". I've found a couple of ways to do this without spending super bucks on it and without getting bored of my wardrobe (which is where most of my impulse clothing purchases used to come from). So this advice is from the working professional perspective. I will probably radically change my wardrobe once I no longer have to work in that environment any more.

On clothes: find the swankiest/wealthiest suburb or town near you, and then shop that Goodwill/Salvation army. I have gotten top name brand clothing in mint or near mint condition for pennies at the one about an hour away from my house. My best pull: an Ann Taylor Loft blazer/suit jacket for $4, with the tags still on and the retail price listed at $129.99. Some pitiful lady paid that for it, never wore it, and donated it for me to find! Also my Goodwill has half off the whole store on the first Saturday of the month, so I go about twice a year and try to hit that Saturday, and I get even more off my already great deals!

On building a wardrobe: First, pick a neutral color and stick to it. If you look good in blacks and grays, do it, if you look good in browns and tans, do that. Then, everything you buy should match with or coordinate with that neutral. Shoes and coats included. That way you do not have to maintain two separate color lines. Build up your basics: slacks (3 pairs), jackets (4-5) and camisoles (I have too many of these, but probably you should have 2 of each basic color and a couple in other colors). Then fill in with shirts for cold and warm weather to match with your basics. Stick with the colors you like or that look good on you. Then rotate through the seasons. If you search "30 for 30 remix challenge" in google, you should come up on some fashion blogs that explain how to take only 30 items and remix them to make 30 different outfits using basics, some fun shirts, and some creativity. I do this periodically to remind myself that I have good, interesting clothes to wear and it keeps me from going out shopping when I get bored with my wardrobe.

Shoes: I buy high quality shoes and wear them until they look ratty. I have an open toe pair for summer and a closed toe pair for winter.  Sometimes I will get flats and other times heels, but I always wear them until they are falling apart before buying new ones. It simplifies the choices in the morning.

Makeup: I have a foundation that is powder and all-natural, made by a local friend of mine. It's fabulous! a little pricey but mine has lasted over a year. I also have blush from her line of makeup, and it will probably last me the rest of my life. I get new mascara and eyeliner every 6 months, and I have the same eyeshadow for a year or more before getting a new one. My friend's line of makeup is here: http://www.melangecosmetics.com/about.htm

Haircuts: I lucked out here, I have very curly hair so even if I get a nice cut it hardly matters or can be seen since the curls just bounce up and hide the trim anyway. So I only go every 3 months or so.

Other than that, I don't spend much on myself. No pedis or manis, if I want one I'll do it myself. But I rarely do because I pick and it looks terrible after a day or so because of the picking at it. I only shave in the summer or when I know I'm going swimming and my razors last a while because I do it in the shower. Soap and lotion I just get the basic stuff.

I hope this helps if any of you are still out there working in the professional scene. I've been doing this for 4 years and no one has every commented negatively on me wearing the same shoes every day all winter long, for example. Odds are no one but you will even notice (ok, maybe if your shoes are a bright color or something, mine are just basic black). And shopping the thrift stores or even consignment stores for secondhand suits and things is a huge saver.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:50:56 AM »
I've never been into all the girly girl stuff most women seem to love. I have, however, always admired and aspired to the "model" concept. Models need to be thin(which I knew should be in a healthy way), confident, with good skin and healthy hair. This makes them a blank slate on which nearly anything will look good.  They need to take care of themselves because their income depends on it. They value themselves.
I also knew very early on that most fashion/make-up/primping wasn't done for personal pleasure or expression but was often done as a disguise for perceived shortcomings, a  cry for attention, or to please others in a professional or romantic way. Dressing for others is stupid since you're only guessing at what they think in the first place and if you really think you're being judged for your appearance then nothing you ever wear will be good enough.
Also, polls reveal time after time that men overwhelmingly prefer the natural look over the fancy look when looking for a potential mate. In work settings, basic professional dress and natural looking hair and make-up are also desired as they say that you are all business.
When you're happy with who you are on the inside, your outward appearance is of little consequence providing it isn't offensive to others.

MsLogica

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
Hi all. Very interesting thread!

I'm not sure I have much to add, but when reading all of your replies one or two things popped into my head!

1. I'm 24 and I'm already going grey.  It doesn't seem to bother me like it's worrying some of you though. It's a natural part of life, and whilst I feel quite young to have greying hair already, I think there are more important things in my life for me to worry about.  I went to an all girls' school and quite a few of the teachers had really stylish grey hair - that's what I'm going to aim for!  I think as long as we all avoid getting perms and a blue rinse, we'll be ok! :)

2.  I still buy nice soaps, which I know isn't very mustachian of me. However, I bulk buy them during the Christmas sales, and so I get brands I like quite cheap. This Christmas I bought a lot of soap from The Body Shop when they had 50% off sales.  I use soap for washing, shaving and removing stains from clothes and I like that they smell nice (I'm also willing to pay more to have environmentally-friendly products, so I won't compromise my ideals for cost).

3.  I agree with some of the other commenters that it's best to buy clothes and shoes that suit you (and your lifestyle).  You can't be mustachian and be a slave to fashion, but you can be mustachian and look stylish!  I work in quite a relaxed office (clothes-wise), so when I need a new item of clothing I try to find something that will work in the office and at home.  The same goes for my footwear.  There's no point in buying a pair of shoes you can only wear once a month.

I do think the men folk get it easier - especially in smart work environments.  A suit and they're done!  There's more expectation in society for women to look like they've stepped out of a magazine, and I think you need to have faith in yourself to ignore that and do what works for you.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
In work settings, basic professional dress and natural looking hair and make-up are also desired as they say that you are all business.

Actually, this part is not true. Studies show that women who are made-up are perceived as more competent than natural-looking women, and the more made-up the better (w/o going to extremes). That is actually what made me start wearing make-up to work (a daily struggle, as I hate wearing make-up). Its a stupid double standard, but that doesn't make it untrue.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »
I'd like to see that study AJ since it's a complete 180 from the study I read a few years ago. And I never said no make-up, just natural looking, asset enhancing make-up so on that point your study agrees with the study I saw. I'd like to read their opinion of "more" make-up and what that means exactly.

chrissyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
IMHO this is one of those areas where it depends on your personal preferences and confidence levels more so than any one 'right' way. I can see an argument for not being overly made up at work, but I can also say from my own personal experience, I am shallow enough to think more highly of someone who is well groomed. I don't think 'well groomed' needs to involve much more than a bit of sun protecting moisturiser, tweezers, a brush and possibly some lip balm. I consider myself in the more 'high maintenance' camp, as I wear makeup and style my hair most days of the week. I typically just wear a bit of blush, mascara and lip gloss on the weekends, and feel more comfortable with a full routine including foundation, powder and eyeshadow/liner for going to work or fancy events (all in natural tones; I don't have lots and lots of different eyeshadow colours or 30 different blushes like some women like to have).

Even though I like my nails and skin to look nice, it's really easy and cheap to maintain at home with the right products. For example sugar is a fantastic exfoliant, and honey is a humectant, making it a great mask on its own or with other ingredients. A bottle of nail polish will typically last months. You can keep your fingers and toes looking pretty for much less than a single mani/pedi, even if you put forth a one time expenditure for fancy top coats or luxury tools like cuticle trimmers. Olive oil and avocado are both great for deep conditioning hair treatments (which I like to do every month or so with all the heat abuse I put my hair through styling it 5x/wk). I am somewhat picky with my moisturisers, because I have incredibly sensitive skin, which is prone to eczema and other rashes if I use the wrong stuff, but I find a big jar of Cetaphil cream causes no issues and provides deep, long lasting moisture even in very dry climates like Colorado.

You don't have to have an extensive wardrobe to look nice/fashionable all the time. I tend to stick to a neutral palette of classic pieces (I have 2 or 3 pairs of jeans, about half a dozen sweaters and equally as many t-shirts, as well as a few skirts and shirts for work). I have as many heels as I have flip flops (2 pairs of each), and visit the cobbler whenever the heel caps or soles are wearing down, meaning I don't buy new shoes often. I previously found I was going through heels much more quickly because I walk a fair bit during my daily commute. I discovered the best solution was to buy a pair of black flats, which I can wear with my work outfit for the commute and also doubles as a comfy pair of walking shoes with a pair of jeans at the weekend. When you figure out colours and styles that work for your body and lifestyle, you can have a handful of staples and mix and match them. If you look after them properly, you shouldn't need to buy new stuff or replace things very often at all. You can also then keep an eye out for sales when you know you really like something (for example, Gap jeans fit me really well, so I buy them when they are on sale for £15), rather than being lured in by sales on a bunch of junk you'll never wear.

I would also like to reiterate Mrs MM's point about feeling best when you are healthy and in shape. I feel much happier when I am well hydrated, eating natural/healthy foods, sleeping 7-8hrs/night and exercising (which at any given time will include a mix of long, fast paced walks, heavy weight lifting and running speed intervals) a few times a week. When I am healthy from the inside out, my skin glows, my hair is shiny, and all my clothes fit and look good. I also tend to wear a much bigger smile, which is really the best possible accessory :)

October

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • New Mexico or Bust!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »
I'm lucky enough to be sparse in the body hair department, so I don't shave my legs or armpits.  I only have a few underarm hairs, so I can pull them out with my fingers while in the shower.  I have a bag of makeup purchased from my pre-Mustachian days, but I only bother with it if I'm going somewhere special, which isn't often.  I've stopped coloring my hair, and I use clippers to keep it uniformly short and easy to care for.  No curling iron, no hair spray.  I do have thick eyebrows, so I pluck them with tweezers.  And I have a lovely silver ear wrap that gets shown off nicely with the very short hair.

My partner doesn't wear makeup and has stopped coloring her hair at my behest.  Her hair is now a gorgeous silver, streaked with black, and I love it.  She is growing it out after having it very short for many years, so she occasionally visits the salon (every couple months) for shaping, which costs about $15.

She has more clothes than me, as I am embracing minimalism more.  For work, I have one pair of black career slacks that I wear 4 days a week, 4 alternating solid-color t-shirts, and several sweater-jackets of different colors and cut to keep it interesting.  On Fridays I wear my only pair of jeans and one of my few other more casual shirts.  I have a couple summer dresses, but they're put away for the winter right now.

We buy soap, shampoo, conditioner, and two different types of skin lotion (I like Lubriderm, she likes Gold Bond) as our mainstays, with some SPF lotion for better weather when we're outside.  We don't need anything more.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
Hi everyone, I love the tips in this thread! Some things I do to keep costs down:

I use bar soap only, it's unbelievable how expensive body wash is (and how much plastic waste it requires!). I buy a pack of 15 bars of soap and I'm good for almost a year.

Face wash, I've been using the oil cleansing method with vitamin a and castor oil. Clears up acne and reduces redness. Also you can make enough in one batch for a year as well. Worked fantastic for me. Reduces need for face lotion.

Shampoo and conditioner--I've tried making my own, as well as apple cider vinegar/ natural stuff and just have never been happy with the results. I buy my favorite kind in in bulk online and it cuts the cost per bottle in half. I still want to figure out how to cut back more in this area, and stop buying so many plastic bottles. I'm very against single-use plastics and it drives me crazy!

Lotion--same thing--I buy a case of 12 bottles at a time. Huge savings over buying it one-off when it runs out. I just use face lotion with SPF; no need for body lotion in my climate.

Makeup--I buy it, but use the cheap stuff. Oil cleansing reduced my need for concealer. Every day is just powder, lip gloss, and sometimes mascara.

Shaving--I've only ever used an electric razor because of skin issues. $65 bucks for a quality one and it's good for five years, at which point you can buy new blades or even a new battery to extend its life a few more years.

Clothes: This category is difficult, because I need nice clothing for work. I buy quality clothing that is classic and not "trendy." It tends to be more expensive, but I look at clothing as something that should last 10+ years, not something I'll throw out each season. I buy reused clothing whenever possible but I'm extremely petite so it is hard to find clothes that fit. When I buy new, I get it exclusively from the sale or clearance sections of websites, usually when it is also the after-season sale. A lot of places you can get items for 60% off then an additional 20% or 30%. With the economy how it's been recently, sales on clothing is non-stop. I look for a coupon code any time I even consider buying something and if I can't find one, I wait a week or two and one will pop up.

Shoes: I buy quality classic styles and get them repaired when they break (I'm amazed how many of my friends had never heard of the concept of repairing shoes, it's shocking!). For high heels you can buy new heel tips and just pull out the old ones with pliers and replace with new ones when they get worn down. For leather repairs I go to a cobbler, and most stuff is $10 or less to get fixed, much less than buying new shoes. 

Haircut--I go to a nice stylist but only every 6 months to a year. With longer hairstyles it seems doable and never looks too bad.

Hair color: I go natural. I stopped dying a few years ago and it's so much nicer/ easier. It looks best on my skin tone and you never have to worry about roots showing. I personally think natural is usually the most beautiful, even when it's graying! I'm kind of looking forward to having long grey hair. I think it's so pretty.

"Pampering" i.e. manicure, pedicure, massage, etc. I just don't see the need for it. Also it creeps me out when people I don't know touch me, but I'm just weird like that...

I agree about exercise! Also, I really try to just embrace what I naturally look like (even though it is hard!) There are a few things that are worth doing to make myself feel professional and polished, but anything more than that and I wonder why I'm trying too hard to look unlike myself. Sometimes a change of attitude is needed more than the lady items.

bicycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
I'm a lady in the middle of growing out my 'stache.  It's starting to look rather nice.

Here are some things I do:

Hair washing - I will admit that I haven't tried any homemade remedies, but one thing I have done is to reduce the number of times I wash my hair per week.  As it turns out, I can get away with washing/conditioning only twice per week (instead of seven times!).  I still shower daily, but I only give my hair a little bit of scouring with my hands on "non-wash" days.  I've tried to go longer, but my hair gets very greasy after that number of days.  I know of some who have completely eliminated shampoo!  This saves me quite a bit on shampoo and conditioner (since I am washing 1/3 as often, the bottles last 3x longer). 

Makeup - Nope.  To me it's nothing but a massive burden for little to no gain.  I like to lay in my warm bed for as long as humanly possible in the morning before I get up.  Why would I want to get up earlier to put on stuff that if done correctly, no one will notice and if done incorrectly will make me look like a clown??  Pass.  So far, I have not found it the slightest impediment to my career.  I am in a science field, but more on a management track.  Bringing the awesome to work has gotten me much farther than makeup. 

Clothes - So, up until reading the MMM site, I would make an epic 1-2x per year trip to the high-end designer outlets that are an hour away from me to refresh my clothing for work.  This trip would cost me $300-$600 and would net me 5-10 new items that I'd add to my already flexible wardrobe.  Other than that, I don't shop for clothes.  Since reading this website, I will instead go back to my old sporting habit of thrift store shopping.  Within a 10 minute walk of my work (or 2 minute bike ride!) there are at least 3 thrift shops, two of which are known to be Totally Awesome.  I'm 5'10", so I do struggle with finding pants that are long enough for me.  Lucky for me, my couple years of outlet-clothes-shopping has provided me with like 4 pairs of jeans and another 4-5 "dress pants", so I just won't buy pants for a long time.

Fitness I ride my bike to work, ~8 miles round trip per day.  If I can reduce my beer drinking, I think this will be quite enough to keep me reasonably fit.  I sometimes supplement with yoga or a smattering of p90x workouts.

On feeling attractive  We put ourselves through these beauty regimens so that we can feel just a little bit more attractive.  We think that if our skin tone was only a little more even, or if our hair was just a little different, or if our asses were just a little less/more round, that we'll have achieved some attractiveness threshold.  Then what?  For that, I refer you to MMM's brilliant (and for me, life-changing) post on the concept of Hedonic Adaptation

Stop for a second and step back, or even step out of your own skin.  What are you using as a metric for attractiveness?  Is it something that was seen on a TV show?  Read in a magazine?  Implanted from when you were a young impressionable person by some combination of different factors?

Beauty comes from the inside.  Instead of buying that new beauty implement, practice radiating (and I mean REALLY radiating, to the point where you think you may be radioactive) genuine (very important) smiles, friendliness, intelligence, warmth and compassion.  I've found that when I practice this, I am perceived as more attractive AND I perceive myself as more attractive.

I've got more to say (about the disconnect between how you perceive yourself and how others perceive you), but alas, work beckons! 

Edit:

On perception

When we think about how others perceive us (for example, whether they find us attractive), we begin with the data at hand - everything we know about ourselves.  After all, what other data set is there?  However, the problem with this is that we give everyone else way too much credit.  By this I mean that everyone else knows far less about us than we do about ourselves.  We have our entire history of insecurities that we routinely weaponize and use against ourselves by assuming that everyone else can see them too.  The truth is that everyone else is so busy thinking about themselves that they could not possibly perceive all the insecurities we worry about.

To use myself as an example,  I had awful, horrible, acne in high school and I have facial scars to prove it.  However, when I've mentioned this to people in insecure moments or in random discussion, the overwhelming response is that no one else had even noticed.  I was caught up in what turns out to be an objectively microscopic detail about myself that just could not even be perceived by anyone who wasn't me.  WTF?  Why have I been wasting years thinking about microdermabrasion, scar-reduction treatments and makeup?  No one else can even tell  the scars are there unless I've actually gone out of my way to draw attention to them.

A good amount of science has been applied to this concept.  Here's a quote from a paper I found today (emphasis mine)(I admit, I have not read the entire paper). 
Source: http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/EpleyCompass.pdf

... People have so much more information about themselves than others do (Nisbett, Caputo, Legant & Marecek, 1973). People know that they are more attractive than they were yesterday, much smarter than many of their friends, or less likeable in the course of an interview than they had planned to be. Observers often know none of this. As a result of this asymmetry in information, people attend to lower-level details when thinking about themselves than when thinking
about others
(Fiedler, Semin, Finkenauer, & Berkel, 1995; Semin & Fiedler, 1989). Accurately intuiting another’s impression would require leading people to construe themselves at a higher level of abstraction, focused on central and defining features of themselves rather than on low-level details or idiosyncrasies. In effect, people could become better at intuiting others’ impressions by altering how they construe themselves, metaphorically taking a big picture look at themselves that is more consistent with how they are viewed by others.

I challenge you to spend more time refining the big picture of yourself (kindness, sincerity, productivity, growth, impact) and less time worried about the mountain of superficiality imposed on you by advertising agencies, current trends, and faulty perceptions. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:03:40 AM by bicycle »

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
I've come a long way, though. About two years ago at the ripe old age of 24 when I started to get the first inkling that my habit of spending more than I earned wasn't going to do me any favors in the long run, I began seriously tracking and recording all of my expenses. What I saw after a year of recording shocked me. The "routine upkeep" of my "rebellious" haircolors (blue, pink, fire-engine red, whatever) were costing me upwards of $2000 annually. The day I saw that, I decided to stop coloring my hair entirely. I also decided to change my hair care routine at the same time and stopped using styling products or any heat tools (including a blow dryer). I also switched to more natural, paraben-and-sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.

AWESOME!!  I think that's the key to my original article on this... know how much you are spending on beauty and be aware of what it is costing you (in time and dollars).  Great story!  Thanks for sharing.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
On feeling attractive  We put ourselves through these beauty regimens so that we can feel just a little bit more attractive.  We think that if our skin tone was only a little more even, or if our hair was just a little different, or if our asses were just a little less/more round, that we'll have achieved some attractiveness threshold.  Then what?  For that, I refer you to MMM's brilliant (and for me, life-changing) post on the concept of Hedonic Adaptation

Stop for a second and step back, or even step out of your own skin.  What are you using as a metric for attractiveness?  Is it something that was seen on a TV show?  Read in a magazine?  Implanted from when you were a young impressionable person by some combination of different factors?

Beauty comes from the inside.  Instead of buying that new beauty implement, practice radiating (and I mean REALLY radiating, to the point where you think you may be radioactive) genuine (very important) smiles, friendliness, intelligence, warmth and compassion.  I've found that when I practice this, I am perceived as more attractive AND I perceive myself as more attractive.

WOW!!  I love this and completely agree!  I'll have to come back and read it whenever I fall into the "metric of attractiveness" trap.  Smiling and friendliness are the number one measures of attractiveness for me when I meet people.

kaeldra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cascadia Inspired
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
Hair: Like Scoot, I realized I was spending a fortune ($350 every 2 months) to upkeep my hair (bleach from dark brown to almost white and add stripes of pink). I loved how it looked, but decided it wasn't worth the expense, as well as my time (4 hours including driving) and the toxic chemicals being dumped on my skin.

Clothing: I try to buy either high quality new classics or basics from the thrift store. One thing I did was meet with a stylist to do some body measurements and develop a guide of styles that look good on my body shape. It helps me avoid temptation for styles that I think are totally cute but aren't very flattering - for example, skirts with lots of layers look cute on other people, but they add too much weight on me. Of course, if you have a good shopping buddy who'll give you their honest opinion, you probably don't need it. It wasn't as expensive as I anticipated - $300.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
RE: bicycle

You just blew my mind. I need to meditate on what you posted, but I'm pretty sure you just changed my life...

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Bicycle, everything you said is beautiful and true.  It took my wonderful husband to make me understand those things.

I am smart, confident, and beautiful sans makeup.  And like you all I think it takes is a little extra sleep and exercise.  Let's not forget, not only do those women get up earlier to apply all the makeup-then they have to stay up later to take it off.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
I buy all my cosmetics at CVS and take advantage of their Extra Care Card deals. If you learn the game you can get quite a bit of free "girly" stuff.

I am much taller than average, so I learned to sew early on. There was a sewing article years ago in the Australian Stitches magazine that spawned a movement known a SWAP (sewing with a plan). Here's a description from their facebook page:

"Stage One -make 10 garments. These are: 2 pairs of pants; 2 skirts, one in a solid color, one in a print or check; 2 simple tops, one solid, one in the above print; 1 dress; 2 tops, in colors which coordinate with the solids; 1 simple jacket in a solid color."

Even if you don't sew, sticking with this wardrobe plan is very mustachian. Choose neutral solids and prints that include the solids you have chosen, and all the pieces will go well together.

If you already have simple, classic patterns that you like, you can buy all the fabric and notions for under $50 and have a fully functional stylish wardrobe that will fit in the tiniest closet.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »
there's so much wisdom on this thread! i especially love the idea of focusing on taking care of ourselves and radiating joy. what could be more beautiful than that?

i run a small fashion company -- i developed an algorithm that takes a woman's measurements and creates a custom sewing pattern for her -- and part of that includes fashion blogging, which is a lot of fun.

my goals with my company are many -- i really want to change the paradigm in the fashion industry to be oriented on just-in-time production and super clever uses of technology and incredible environmental responsibility. but one of the biggest goals i have is to create alternatives outside the corporate patriarchal idea of beauty. because, honestly, real beauty comes from doing cool stuff, not genetics.

and i believe we ALL should be able to get cute clothes that fit us, even if nothing in a store is designed to our proportions. right now, there is a huge quantity of shitty clothing available in the world, but very few beautifully-made, well-fitting, high quality choices, especially if you are bigger than a size 12 or so. eco-friendly plus size clothing? athleta has a (very) few things, but it's mostly a wasteland of awful polyester as far as the eye can see.

anyway ... all this is to say that i probably go a bit further with makeup and clothes than a lot of mustachians do. it's not from a place of feeling like i'm less than some standard and i need to measure up to it. for me, it really is about having fun and expressing joy with the way i look -- that's the attitude i want to model and that's the kind of community i'm trying to build with my company. so many people are so insane about their perceived flaws and imperfections! i want a fashion industry (and a world) that is about feeling cute and having a laugh and not being so obsessed with what's "wrong" with us. a fashion company that thinks you are lovely just as you are, and maybe you could use a timeless dress that fits you perfectly.

i am currently on a self-imposed buying moratorium to save up for my wedding later this year but it's not much of a hardship because i have everything i need. sometimes i do struggle with wanting to spend more than i should on pretty things -- sephora!! shoes!!! PMS!! -- but it seems to go in waves and right now i'm on a wave of stashing as much cash as i can ... and of course i'll be making my wedding dress!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:53:15 AM by madgeylou »

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »
Hey madgelou, I'm working on a wedding dress too, for my future daughter in law. Well, working on the muslin this year, she is requesting multiple customizations to the pattern so I want to make sure we get it right before using the good fabric. Fun stuff!

JanMN

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
"Beauty comes from the inside.  Instead of buying that new beauty implement, practice radiating (and I mean REALLY radiating, to the point where you think you may be radioactive)..."

Bicycle - that made me laugh out loud.  Thanks for an inspiring and thoughtful post! 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »
this post cracks me up and i thought you all might enjoy it, too -- it's such a beautiful illustration of the absurdity / futility / hilarity of lady consumerism.

http://thehairpin.com/2011/05/my-period-takes-me-shopping

i wonder what the equivalent would be for dudes ...

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
Hey madgelou, I'm working on a wedding dress too, for my future daughter in law. Well, working on the muslin this year, she is requesting multiple customizations to the pattern so I want to make sure we get it right before using the good fabric. Fun stuff!

aw man that is great! my grandma made a prom dress for me senior year of high school and it was such a fun process to do together, getting all the little details just the way we wanted them. i bet you guys are having a blast. and she'll get an heirloom out of it, too, instead of some acetate satin monstrosity from a mall bridal shop.

sewing your own is so good for so many reasons and saving money is just one of them!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I know I am having fun, she is all stressed out from grad school right now so it's harder for her to enjoy the process. The dress she wants would cost over $3000 from the only shops that carry it, I expect to be able to sew it for under $100 (since it's not until summer of 2013, I have plenty of time to shop the fabric sales).

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
"Beauty comes from the inside.  Instead of buying that new beauty implement, practice radiating (and I mean REALLY radiating, to the point where you think you may be radioactive)..."

Bicycle - that made me laugh out loud.  Thanks for an inspiring and thoughtful post!

agreed!

redeyedtreefr0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
Hi everyone!
I am not a Mustachian, but I do try to be frugal, because we (my husband and I) have been poor forever. Our families are poor, it just is the way we have been. Sometimes the situation was self-inflicted for the sake of spending a little more on food, or on internet and a computer game subscription in exchange for drastically reduced stress levels. Mostly its just from very low incomes, and not knowing any way to reduce bills.

Anyway, I think I'd like to share some things I do and questions I have.

HAIR:
Trims: I used to have classic length hair (think butt-length, like princesses). I cut it due to severe damage from simply not cutting it for seven years, and I'll regrow it with regular trims. I'm not sure whether I'll try trimming myself or not. Otherwise I only plan on a yearly trim.

Care: I hate the routine of having super-light flyaway hair right after using shampoo and conditioner, and then gradually increasing greasiness until you wash. I like my hair maybe a few days after a wash, and then it's ruined. So, I already wasn't washing much- maybe once a week. (This isn't to say I didn't shower more often than that, of course!)

I got new hair products after we moved, the new Garnier Fructis Pure Clean. I hate the way my hair was with it, but we were simply strapped for cash. I had experimented in the past with Conditioner-Only (CO) washing with some success, and then even Water-Only (WO). I decided since my hair behaved exactly like it did when WOing as it did with this new shampoo and conditioner, that I would just stop using it altogether.

I therefore spend zero money for hair care.  ( I have a collection of hairthings and brushes though, but those aren't a recurring cost.)

Hair Removal: I currently shave, usually with a Venus razor. I like the one with a very wide area before the blades, but I hate the slime of a new blade head- the lubrication drives me crazy. I'm afraid the razor will slip and cut me (this fear is not without a foundation- I usually only cut myself with new blades!) One razor head lasts me about 3 or 4 months. Currently I'm using a razor my husband had, because I didn't feel like arguing when I asked for new blades.

I pluck between my eyebrows with tweezers (special tweezers that live in my purse and cannot be used by my husband for toenail surgery! He gets bad ingrown nails on his big toes)

Dyeing: Please don't! I don't, but I did once to get past a hateful length. I regretted it afterwards- it wasn't me. I LOVE both my favorite aunt's and my mother-in-law's graying heads. Mom-in-law dyes and I seriously wish she wouldn't, she looks so beautiful with it. I can't wait til I go gray.

MAKE-UP: None. I own a cover-up that I need to get rid of. My twin sister wears make-up and I always think about how she's silly for using it, because she is so pretty. We're not identical, but I think I ought to have similar looks, and they don't require improvement! I think most women are ugly with caked faces.

NAILS: Do it yourself, or have parties with female friends and manicure eachother's! Then you can share products and therefor keep less, or none, and usually someone is very talented at it. So you'd save money and get social time. I file and trim my own, or let them grow, as I feel like. Sometimes they are nice and other times I don't feel like caring. /shrug. I have a $1 collection of Bon-Bon nailpolish for when I feel girly. That's maybe twice a year, heehee.

MENSTRUATION: Yes, I said it. I absolutely MUST share the greatest invention ever, which is a menstrual cup. It is exactly what it sounds like, a flexible cup that goes inside you similar to a tampon and collects your fluids instead of absorbing them. I cannot believe I ever used anything else, and had never heard of them. I don't have to think about my period ALL DAY LONG! I empty the thing in the morning in the privacy of my own home and at night before bed. It doesn't leak or irritate (once I trimmed the stem) , or get stuck, or dry me out, or worry me with toxic shock. I get this wonderful smug sensation every time I see the feminine product aisle in the grocery store now. I don't have to carry around tons of things in my purse! I'm free! I will gladly sing the praises of this thing to any who will listen, can you tell?? It is supposed to last 10 years, and costs $35 dollars plus $2 for shipping. How much do you pay for pads or tampons compounded over ten years? Mine is personally The Keeper Mooncup (clear silicone version versus brown latex original), but you can just google search for "menstrual cup" and find other companies outside the US.

Question- I'd like to know specific details about epilators and using them. Models would be good, what you like or don't like, what you've learned. I tried tweezing my bikini area once and hated it. But an epilator would be even MORE frugal than 3 razor blade heads a year.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »
Hello Lady Staches! I'm so happy I found this thread, especially as I always feel the pressure to spend money to look good, especially

Makeup: I only use face powder and lip balm, and only the drugstore brands. I've always wanted to try eyeliner and mascara, but never bought myself any because I considered it a waste of money. So I asked my boyfriend to get me these things for my birthday! I gave him a choice between two affordable brands, though, one step up from drugstore. It is my birthday. ;)

Hair: I get a haircut about twice a year, costs about 12 USD per haircut. I also decided to stop coloring my hair, so that's another 12-15 USD saved. I don't shave my legs, and use a tweezer for my brows.

Skin: I fortunately don't have any major issues with my skin. I drink lots of water and stay out of the sun. On the rare occasions that I do want to have something checked out, I ask my uncle, who is a dermatologist and gives me free skincare product samples whenever I visit :D

Clothes: Clothes are my biggest expense. I used to weigh 155 pounds so it was difficult for me to find cheap clothes that fit well and looked presentable enough for my office job. Since then, though, I've gone down to 132 pounds, which has made it a lot easier to find sale and bazaar items that fit nicely. Still, I know I can do better. I know I can find nice outfits for even lower prices if I only got down to the 125 pound range. It's my primary motivation to lose weight: wearing things I was never ever able to wear before comfortably.

I totally agree that the most important thing a girl can do to look good is to exercise regularly and eat healthy. Any type of clothing, even if it is kind of worn and dated, just looks better on a fit body. So the best type of clothes to invest in are high-quality exercise clothes and shoes. I splurged on a brand new pair of New Balance running shoes last month. And by splurge, I mean I bought them on sale for ~56 USD. :D

goon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »
wouldn't call myself advanced, but:

i get my hair cut very rarely.  it's usually more expensive than i'd like, so i think next time i may ask my boyfriend to cut it.  i would really like to go the no 'poo route.  right now i'm just waiting out my economy shampoo/conditioner to run out.  i used to dye my hair (i started a young age) but i stopped around 4 years ago.  i started because i have a ton of gray hair for being young (now i'm in my twenties, but i started graying in my teens).  but i really prefer the natural look now anyway.

i wax myself, which is really not very expensive.  the wax heating machine cost about 20$ several years ago and is still going strong.  each tub of individual wax costs around 10$ and lasts me about 6 months (due to years and years of waxing, i have very little hair-- and i'm middle eastern!).  you can make your own wax with sugar, lemon juice, and honey.

i don't wear makeup unless i'm going to an interview or meeting a client, which is when i wear a little bit of eyeliner.  my eyeliner has lasted me a good 6 years now.

i do use a soft spf on my skin every day.  i spend about 30$ every 8 months for a nice spf moisturizer, but a little goes a long way (and i always use samples if i can get my hands on them).

clothes are more difficult.  i've always had a hard time with the idea of getting second-hand clothing, so when i do shop, it's usually at the mall.  but i honestly can't recall the last time i bought an article of clothing.  i'm just not a shopper.

my favorite moneysaver of all time is my menstrual cup and reusable pads.  i know i sound psychotic for saying this, but they are such a pleasure to use!!  i much prefer them to disposable feminine products for several reasons.  on top of my preference for them, they're cheaper than disposables.

kballgetlost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »
Awesome to see so many lady 'staches!!

Well I'm like a lot of you, I think I do I pretty good job of keeping costs down.

Makeup- rarely wear it (like twice a year) and when I do its just a little mascara and lip gloss. So the stuff I have has lasted YEARS!

Hair - I have long (below shoulders) natural brown hair. I get a cut maybe once a year. Nothing fancy with my hair! As for body hair, I tweeze my eyebrows on my own. I used a venus razor with disposable heads. I find I have no problem using the same razor head for quite awhile so I bought a 12 pack of replacement heads about 6 years ago and I still have a bunch left.

Clothes - I have a pretty basic wardrobe. Enough to mix and match, so I rarely buy clothes. One thing I should do more of is check thrift stores if I absolutely need something. But I mostly wait until the holidays or birthday when people ask what I want and ask for clothes or gift certificates for shopping. Then I use that instead of my own money!

Onto the period thing....this is the second time I've heard of the menstrual cup. I haven't quite been able to make that leap yet. But I've heard awesome things about them. And I know it would cut down on costs of buying tampons and pads.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
Self-esteem is big part of not being tempted to spend on expensive things.  I find that these things have contributed the most to accepting myself:

1. aging - it just happens and you learn to let go of some insecurities - plus you get some wrinkles and grey hair and acceptance as part of the package
2. personal growth - i did a program called choices and it was wonderful - expensive but worth every penny
3. a partner who loves you for who you are and accepts you fully - amazing what this can do :)

So, that said, I enjoy some luxury lady things:

1. Bodyshop bodywash- bar soap makes me itch.  I buy it when there is a great sale (ie. buy one get one free and then a third with the coupon on the back of the receipt) and I buy a lot of it.  I have enough for two years in the cupboard.  I dislike shopping and it keeps.

2.  Hair - I used to go to a very upscale hairdress - yes, $200 a cut!!  I have curly hair and she was the local expert.  She was good but the new hairdresser I have is just as good and is $40.  I don't need cutting very often because curly hair hides all :)  I buy Bodyshop ginger shampoo (on sale and stocked up - great for dry hair) and expensive conditioner in big bottles.  The conditioner lasts a long time because I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week because it helps with the dryness.  I dye my hair myself at home - easy and fast.

3. Make-up - I use mascara and lipstick and not much else.  I don't mind spending money on these.

4. Hair removal - I did laser hair removal about five years ago.  Worked well on my underarms and somewhat on the bikini line.  I shave my legs.  The laser hair removal was really expensive.  I wish there was a permanent, affordable at-home DIY hair removal system.  If anyone knows of one please let me know!

5. Clothes - biannual shopping trips to brand name discount stores and thrift stores.  Irregular emergency shopping for, for example, a wedding.  I know what I like and stick to the same styles these days - makes it fast.

6. Manicure/Pedicure - I don't like them.  I have been given several as gifts and find them a chore.  I just cut my nails myself.

7. Skin care - I use vitamin E oil.  Works wonders for dry skin and is non-irritating.  I put it on before bed and in the morning my skin looks great.  Cheap and effective and pure ingredients.

8.  Exercise - ah, well, I walk a couple of times a day with the dog but boy I could use some inspiration here... or a personal trainer :)

eldub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • 4hutches.blogspot.ca
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
For those wanting to explore mustachian options for birth control/ menstrual flow, check out this post:

http://4hutches.blogspot.ca/2012/07/mrs-hutchs-home-economics-using-iuds-as.html

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
I'll add my vote to menstrual cups. They're totally amazing.

However, I'll admit that I love clothing. I think having beautiful, well-made clothing is like owning a small work of wearable art... although certainly most clothing isn't well-made.

I'm a fiend for vintage clothing, and I work in an office environment where that look is welcome. I would say 80% of what I wear is secondhand, offset with a few basics (nice jeans, a modern pencil skirt, a blazer, etc.). I'm also a fiend for thrifting, so I've found a way to pay for that 80% of my wardrobe. I go to cheap thrift stores, dig for a few hours to find fashionable items, and bring pieces to consignment stores. An afternoon's digging--which, again, I honestly enjoy--usually yields about $100 of credit for $5-$15 of clothing. There are lots of nice consignment places around me, and so I always have a steady supply of stylish, new-to-me clothes.

I used to be really sensitive about my skin, although I know it's objectively fine. Over the years, I've transitioned from foundation, powder, and concealer to just powder 1/2 the time and nude 1/2 the time. Surprise, surprise, no one has run screaming away from me on those no-powder days.  Besides powder, I wear eyeliner 90% of the time. I'm trying to transition out of that as well, but I really like how I look with eyeliner!
ws
Since my makeup routine is relatively simple, I've also noticed that when I do something extra--wear lipstick, for example--it's an occasion. I like that. It's like reverse hedonic adaptation.

I don't cut my hair. When the split ends pile up, I just grab a chunk and snip. People compliment me on my hair all the time. I'm also excited to turn grey. Going silvery is going to be amazing.

My mom rubs cut lemons on her legs and swears it makes the hair grow back finer, but when I just googled it, I see a lot of websites recommending it as a growth aid, so YMMV.

This is kind of embarrassing, but I've definitely been wistful peering into other people's medicine cabinets and seeing lots of fancy fancy products. I buy Cetaphil in bulk from Costco, and it doesn't feel very chic to have this enormous tub sitting out. So, now I spoon it into a small brown amber glass jar with a screwtop lid. It feels more luxurious. I think I may start mixing a few drops of essential oils or some rosewater into it, to amp it up further.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »
So much great advice here.  I'm not very girly, and my recommendation was going to be on the diet and exercise front.  I'm similar to Mrs. MM in that I rarely wear makeup, so what I have lasts a very long time.

I did just have to spend money this year on mat clothing and now the "crap nothing fits because I just had a baby.". I do NOT enjoy shopping, so digging through thrift stores when I'm not sleeping is not my idea of fun.

I do,shave though, and also wax right before a vacation in a warm place.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
Another vote for menstrual cups, with an added plug for reusable pads.  It's really nice to ditch the plastics and disposables - this was the thing that cut all ties with CVS. 

I too like wearing well made, well-fitting clothing.  As a petite 28F, that doesn't come cheap - but I buy only a few quality pieces so they last forever.   Unfortunately it isn't very Mustachian these days as I build a small clothing stache . . but another year of replacing worn out clothing and I should be good to go for a long time.  I've worn enough crappy clothing in my life.  It's the one materialistic part of my life where I'm okay spending money.   I don't like shopping though, so it comes in spurts.

My only make up is concealer and mascara.  I can go without but prefer wearing something to feel put together. 

I've transitioned away from pretty much all other body products - just shampoo, conditioner (SLS free, willing to pay for it), and soap.   I'm on my last disposable razor cartridge and will be replacing that with a safety razor when it's done.  I make my own deodorant and use coconut or jojoba oil if my skin is dry. 

Exercise and sunscreen should keep me looking young for a while yet.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
I have short, slightly punky hair, and I get haircuts every 2 months or sooner.  That's the main self-maintenance thing that costs me money.

I wash my face with water and a washcloth.  My man and I use the same soap (I dig Dr. Bronner's).

I use sugar wax, but most of the time I forget to do it because I'm too busy.  I'm thinking of trying to make my own -- I know you can do that.  The internet will tell me how.

My skin is a bit dry, so any kind of face soap would just make it more dry.  I do have a fancy face lotion, but I don't have to use very much at a time.  I'm thinking of replacing this with something that contains sunblock, but those usually make my eyes sting.

I don't wear makeup to work: my skin doesn't need foundation and my eyelashes are dark enough not to need mascara.  Eyeshadow that's subtle enough for daytime basically looks like it's not there, and lipstick wears off within an hour.  Seems like it would be a waste of time.  I'm athletic and I usually get enough sleep, so I look pretty nice. 

I spend a lot on clothes still -- I'm working on tweaking my professional wardrobe and collecting the right cold-weather bike gear.  Also I married an Indian guy (I'm not), so I'm like 10 years behind all the other ladies on building a wardrobe of Indian clothes for all the family functions.

The thing that makes the biggest difference in how I look is that I'm happy.  I'm the happiest person in my office, for sure.  I don't have stress.  I go around smiling all the time.  People don't notice I don't wear makeup because they're too shocked that I'm in a good mood.

Allison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
This thread has been amazingly inspirational.  I used to wear a lot of makeup to make myself look older.  That is right older!  I worked in an office where most people were my parents' age.

I have cut way back....instead of foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, eye liner, lipstick, lip liner and all the matching primers, I have cut it to BB Cream and mascara.  So much easier in the morning and less maintainance during the day.

It has helped me appreciate my youth and become more confident in my skills at work.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
I don't wear make-up, but I wear SPF15+ moisturiser/sunscreen all year round (and ramp up to 30+ when it's not winter & I don't just get incidental sunshine during my day).

I made a decision this year to only buy 2nd hand clothes. This is working out well, except I'm buying clothes for Prague winter brand new. (You really can't find those 2nd hand in northern Australia!) I also only own 3 pairs of shoes. Less choices, less decisions. A guy at uni the other day exclaimed to me, "You wear that shirt every day!!". (This is a lie, I wear it every 3 days.) Which goes to show I don't really care if I wear the same clothes over and over again.

I use shampoo, conditioner, facewash, and deodorant every day. I also dye my hair blonde every 6 months, which costs about $100 each time.

I like to think I'm more maintainable than other 20-something women that I go to uni with :)

Oh, and I don't bother to ever get my period, so that's a whole lot of stuff that I have to never buy. Yay.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:51:21 PM by Nudelkopf »

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Hair: I recently cut my hair very short and I love it! Looks good all the time without having to hassle with it. It does require a cut every 6 weeks for maintenance but I get it cut for $9 at a cosmetology school (I'm very surprised with how good they are). I don't need to buy any shampoo, conditioner, or products. I just wash it with water and with baking soda about once a week.

Clothes: I love clothing swaps! Whatever I can't get through those I get at thrift stores. I recently discovered the goodwill outlet which is even cheaper! They charge for clothes by the pound and usually pay only 25-50 cents per item!

Makeup: I have dark circles under my eyes (genetic) so I'll wear foundation just to cover that. I like a little mascara and eye liner now and then but it's too much of a hassle to do it daily. I only own one color of nail polish at a time and paint my toes that color until it runs out or dries out.

Periods: I bought reusable pads from luna pads about a year and I'm sooo glad I did. They're way more comfortable, they save money, and they're greener! I've never used the Divacup but I've heard great things about it.

Exercise: I play roller derby which keeps me in great shape. It also gives me confidence, friends, and an amazing support system! It is an expensive sport but it's my splurge. I cross train by running outside or doing core exercises in my living room.

Everything Else:
I use the oil cleansing method for my face. It moisturizes so I no longer have to buy face lotion. I use liquid soap when it's on sale at Bath and Body works for $1-2. I make my own deodorant by mixing corn starch and baking soda together. The baking soda acts as a deodorant and the corn starch acts as a anti-antiperspirant.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:34:43 PM by RandR »

HeidiO

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
   I recently started using a salt crystal deodorant.  It was $2.50 (Sunflower Market) and from what I have read will probably last years.  I am really impressed how well it works.  I work 12 hour shifts, sometimes doing heavy physical work,  and have never noticed an issue.
  I'm a redhead, and we tend not to gray, as much as fade.  I use henna about every 2 months to add brightness and a little red.  It's so close to my natural color you can't see roots, and it looks super natural b/c it matches my eyebrows/complexion.  It's messy - like covering your head in mud, but it is actually good for your hair.  I buy a $6 jar of powder and it lasts about 4 uses.  It comes in other colors, too, if red is not your thing.
  I use Covergirl Outlast lipstick.  It doesn't smear, and lasts about 16 hours on me.  Around $8, and I probably go through 3 a year, and I wear it every day.  Sometimes I use a $0.50 eyebrow pencil.  I probably buy it every 2 years.  That is my 30 second make-up routine.  (And sunscreen when I remember.)
  I primarily buy my clothes at thrift stores, occasionally from Walmart, and Ross.  I have a $13 Coach purse from a thrift store, and a $20 one from Craigslist.
  I buy 2 pairs of Brooks shoes every year.  I work on my feet (nursing) and I love them.  They are by far the most comfortable for my feet.  They are about $100 a pair.
Heidi

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!