Author Topic: Lady staches?  (Read 140079 times)

LiquidSapphire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Lady staches?
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »
On body hair... I know, on the surface, it is expensive but... I got electrolysis.  I got it on my eyebrows.  I think it probably all in all cost like $1000 for all the treatments ($60ish an hour).  However, it is PERMANENT.  I don't even remember the last time I paid for waxing them.  I tweeze the occasional stray here or there but mainly I trim them when they get longish.  And that's it!  and I look good all the time.  I hated waxing and tweezing because it is so hard to get that good arch each time, and do it evenly, each time... nothing worse than overtweezing. fuck it, electrolysis man, so worth it for eyebrows.

I bought the cheapest men's razors (like 12 for $2) at Walmart and they seem to last forever.  I am still working on this bag from years ago.  They are these cheap two blade disposables.  One blade lasts months.  I only shave when I know I'll be wearing shorts/skirts, and even then maybe once a week.  I shave in the shower.

My uniform for work is black slacks (I do have one pair of gray) and a button down shirt.  I have various colors of shirts and then I have about 5 black blazers I will wear over them sometimes.  That is my work outfit.  It works fine.  I got almost all of it from the thrift store.

I use baking soda on my hair and it works just as good if not better than shampoo.  I don't need/use conditioner.

I make my own soap out of coconut oil, olive oil, and lye.  It costs around the same as Dove bar soap (maybe cheaper) but I use it on my whole face and body, and I know what is in it.  And it's fun to make :)  And I have enough to last me an entire year.

I use Purpose skin lotion on my face since it has SPF 15.  If I am going to work or "out" for the night I will wear mascara and eyeliner.  I try to buy things that don't test on animals from drug stores and they still don't cost much.  My latest mascara was E.L.F brand and it's great and it cost $3.  I am lucky that I don't need that other stuff so I don't generally wear it.  I have a foundation lotion from Clinique that I will wear for a very special occasion (Court, weddings).  The eye makeup lasts for like a year.  The Clinique will go yucky before I run out. 

I find keeping my hair longer is cheaper because with short hair you have to do regular maintenance trims.  I also cut my own hair.  It's really easy to give yourself layers.  I originally found this on YouTube but I can't find the video now.  Anyway, What you do is you take a shower, and then get out of the shower, lean over, and comb your hair forward (while it is still wet), so it's all in your face.  Then put it in a ponytail holder kinda close to the head.  In other words, make a pony tail, only it's in front of your face instead of where it would normally go.  Make sure that the hair in the ponytail is all evenly tight and it is centered.  Then pull the ponytail holder down the hair shafts to the place where you plan to cut.  Cut off the end of the ponytail.  If this is your first time just snip only an inch off or something so you can see how this works.  Because you are combing your hair forward, and then cutting one straight line cross the ponytail holder, naturally the hair in front (closer to the ponytail holder) is going to be shorter than the hair in the back.  If you want it shorter, repeat.   This works, this works, I swear, and I haven't paid to cut my hair since, because the layers are so even, I get to choose where they go, and I can choose when to do it.  It's awesome. 

jesse.anne.o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
@englyn - thank you for that suggestion; I'll start checking the libraries. I think I try to overcompensate w/both free weights & abs exercises when I'm pushing myself & end up w/sore neck/shoulders or muscle failure during the last reps. (The trainer corrects my form although I've been trying to watch what proper form looks like in the mirror there to know how to replicate it on my own.) Glad to have a resource to look into.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:24 AM »
I don't care, or want to know, whether men think that I've struck the right balance between frugality and stylishness.  I am going to wear makeup or not, as I please.  I'm going to wear clothes that I think look & feel good.  I'm going to work out and act confident and happy just as much as I feel like it. 

I understand that guys who say "I like it better when women don't wear makeup" are trying to be helpful, but they're still implying that they are entitled to an opinion about how women should dress.  News flash: you don't get a say unless I asked you.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
I don't care, or want to know, whether men think that I've struck the right balance between frugality and stylishness.  I am going to wear makeup or not, as I please.  I'm going to wear clothes that I think look & feel good.  I'm going to work out and act confident and happy just as much as I feel like it. 

I understand that guys who say "I like it better when women don't wear makeup" are trying to be helpful, but they're still implying that they are entitled to an opinion about how women should dress.  News flash: you don't get a say unless I asked you.

Don't be rude. The way you present yourself is of no matter to me just as the way I do is likely of no matter to you. People's attire is of minuscule importance to me if it even registers on my radar whatsoever, regardless of sex.

The OP said she is working on new habits but can't commit 100% because some of her concern is fear based.

...I am very proud of these new habits but I know I can do more.

...I can't seem to let go of wanting to "spoil myself" and "look good". It's part vanity and part fear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Was I really treading out of bounds with my attempt to quell some of the fear? Relax m'lady, I'm helping, or at least trying...

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
My wording was stronger than necessary, but I don't want you to miss my point.  Please be aware than when you say "I like it better when women [do X frugal thing with their appearance]" or "Makeup is so un-sexy, I like it better if women don't wear makeup," it includes "I'm still going to evaluate your appearance, but what you have chosen to do pleases me.  You may continue."  To come here, do that, and then call me rude?  Well, it takes balls.

N.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
How's this for blasphemous? In my crazy early-20s-six-figure-money-making days, I once dropped $1100 at the Bobbi Brown counter.

!

Oh, the shame. THE SHAME!

I was one dumb bunny.

Not anymore. I have an auto-immune skin disease so *sensitive* doesn't quite cover it. And you know, proper nutrition (gave up everything containing sugar 10 years ago), plenty of water, fresh air and regular exercise is my best bet. Well, DUH.

I still have the powder-based BB stuff but with sensitive-eye issues, change my (super-cheap drugstore variety) mascara tube every two months like clock-work and use wholesale-sourced-lasts-forever-mineral-based face powder for a nice polish. I make homemade lip balm for non-sticky, kissable lips.

When I turned 30 and I was really broke-ass, I started learning how to make my own stuff. I researched for six months before going for it (I'm not an engineer or a researcher by trade, so I'm really proud of this part of the equation). At first it was embarrassing. (WTF?!) I'm so over it. I've recently been approached to start a private skin care line.

Non-SLS shampoo, jojoba-based leave-in oil/conditioner for my waist-length hair, castile based soaps and body washes, rose waters and oils for the face. It doesn't get more natural or inexpensive than that.

I have no intentions of starting a skin care line (though it was tempting) so I'm happy to share recipes if anyone is interested.

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
My wording was stronger than necessary, but I don't want you to miss my point.  Please be aware than when you say "I like it better when women [do X frugal thing with their appearance]" or "Makeup is so un-sexy, I like it better if women don't wear makeup," it includes "I'm still going to evaluate your appearance, but what you have chosen to do pleases me.  You may continue."  To come here, do that, and then call me rude?  Well, it takes balls.

Your paraphrasing is abhorrent and you've obviously missed my point entirely. With all due respect, your misunderstanding warrants no further replies. I'm sorry we couldn't mutually benefit from each other's opinions.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
yes to recipes, Nathalie

I always used to think there was something wrong with me that the make-up counter was so excessive, or the skin creams, etc. I used to think that "real" women should somehow be able to afford these things - I think that's the message that's implied.

The only thing I really "need" to spend money on in this category (and feel free to slap or give suggestions) is my crazy, curly long hair which is picky as hell and will sulk if I give it supermarket-quality stuff. Most of the hair stuff I buy is ridiculously expensive but luckily lasts a long time. At least (as said before) I've stopped the highlights, it has thanked me for that... but if it's not well-fed, I can look like a frizzy poodle, or something.

N.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
Message me if you're so inclined... happy to discuss specifics and (if I can) help you find something that works!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
You dress to get a point across to the people around you, but they're not allowed to notice how you dress and form an opinion based on those observations if they happen to be male? And even you yourself are allowed to judge people based on their clothes, and explicitly admit doing so, but having testicles somehow disqualifies half of humanity from the same privilege?

Really? Arbor came here to make a productive comment equivalent to several such comments that you yourself have made in the past and you have nothing more productive to do than jump down his throat?

Mama Mia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
I have been frugal for a very long time, but just starting to grow my stache. 

I have been using OCM (oil cleansing method) on my face for several years now.  I use about 50/50 castor & extra virgin olive oil, I moisturize with jojoba oil.  I have been using a mineral make up company  that I  found online years ago.  My sister and I are the same shade so we split a bulk order of minerals and it will last us for years.  Drinking lots of H2O, eating lots of fruits & veggies does amazing things for the skin. 

I shave with cheap disposable razors & the same bar soap I shower with.  I use tweezers for my brows and a manicure scissor closely trim facial hair.  I remember the Epi-lady from when I was a teenager, it hurt like hell.  I don't know if I could get used to that, but I'm intrigued. 

I have curly hair & I use a conditioner only hair washing method (Similar to Wen) but you can use cheap stuff like Suave naturals.  I use LA Looks Sport gel.  My sister cuts my hair for me.  I don't use color.  Don't have grey hair yet :)  I don't wet my hair in the shower every day.  I usually wear it up the second & sometimes the third day.  It saves on products, time and hot water!  I just started do this this year & it is helping save me so much time in the morning and I use lots of conditioner so this is really going to reduce the $ I spend!

I use a Diva cup that I have had for 8 years, with homemade cloth panty liners.  DH got a vasectomy a few years ago, so no BC expenses!

If I want a mani or pedi I do it myself.  I typically keep my finger nails polish free because they chip so quickly.  But in flip flop season I do my own toes and they last a month if I don't change the color first.  It helps that I'm freaked out about the cleanliness of the nail places.  Do they really sterilize the tools properly???  I'd rather not take the risk, or pay!

I love thrift shopping but I keep it to a minimum.  I wear a uniform of sorts to work.  At home I wear jeans or yoga pants and tee shirts.  If I need to look dressed up I just wear my work clothes.  My work clothes come off as soon as I get home and I usually just slip into my PJ's.  This way I don't stain my work clothes when I'm cooking dinner.

I love hanging clothes on the line it typically means less wrinkling, less ironing & it saves wear & tear on the clothes, on the dryer & also saves on the electric bill!

I love this thread!!!

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
I have been frugal for a very long time, but just starting to grow my stache. 

I have been using OCM (oil cleansing method) on my face for several years now.  I use about 50/50 castor & extra virgin olive oil, I moisturize with jojoba oil.  I have been using a mineral make up company  that I  found online years ago.  My sister and I are the same shade so we split a bulk order of minerals and it will last us for years.  Drinking lots of H2O, eating lots of fruits & veggies does amazing things for the skin. 

I shave with cheap disposable razors & the same bar soap I shower with.  I use tweezers for my brows and a manicure scissor closely trim facial hair.  I remember the Epi-lady from when I was a teenager, it hurt like hell.  I don't know if I could get used to that, but I'm intrigued. 

I have curly hair & I use a conditioner only hair washing method (Similar to Wen) but you can use cheap stuff like Suave naturals.  I use LA Looks Sport gel.  My sister cuts my hair for me.  I don't use color.  Don't have grey hair yet :)  I don't wet my hair in the shower every day.  I usually wear it up the second & sometimes the third day.  It saves on products, time and hot water!  I just started do this this year & it is helping save me so much time in the morning and I use lots of conditioner so this is really going to reduce the $ I spend!

I use a Diva cup that I have had for 8 years, with homemade cloth panty liners.  DH got a vasectomy a few years ago, so no BC expenses!

If I want a mani or pedi I do it myself.  I typically keep my finger nails polish free because they chip so quickly.  But in flip flop season I do my own toes and they last a month if I don't change the color first.  It helps that I'm freaked out about the cleanliness of the nail places.  Do they really sterilize the tools properly???  I'd rather not take the risk, or pay!

I love thrift shopping but I keep it to a minimum.  I wear a uniform of sorts to work.  At home I wear jeans or yoga pants and tee shirts.  If I need to look dressed up I just wear my work clothes.  My work clothes come off as soon as I get home and I usually just slip into my PJ's.  This way I don't stain my work clothes when I'm cooking dinner.

I love hanging clothes on the line it typically means less wrinkling, less ironing & it saves wear & tear on the clothes, on the dryer & also saves on the electric bill!

I love this thread!!! 

I just started the oil cleansing method and at least the main website (or rather the one that got the url) suggested no more than 30% castor oil. I've got pretty acne prone skin though, so I'll have to keep it in mind that I could at least experiment with a higher concentration if I need it.

One word of caution on the mani-pedi front is to make sure that you clean your own tools properly too. It's been years since I had a manicure, but I trimmed my cuticle too close a couple years ago and managed to get my nail bed infected. It was seriously painful and needed antibiotics. That sort of thing is totally treatable, so don't worry too much, but it's also totally preventable, and that's the better way to do it :-).

melissak

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
You dress to get a point across to the people around you, but they're not allowed to notice how you dress and form an opinion based on those observations if they happen to be male? And even you yourself are allowed to judge people based on their clothes, and explicitly admit doing so, but having testicles somehow disqualifies half of humanity from the same privilege?

Really? Arbor came here to make a productive comment equivalent to several such comments that you yourself have made in the past and you have nothing more productive to do than jump down his throat?

Well-said.

melissak

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »
On an economic note... Isn't it ironic that the simpler/more "natural" a commercial beauty product, generally the more expensive it is? Like, you could go to the dollar store or the regular beauty section of a drugstore and have your choice of 5000 products with 20 or 50 ingredients, most of which only a scientist would recognize. But if you go to buy a simpler/more natural product, they're often ridiculously expensive. For example - you can get cheap body scrub at the dollar store, with all sorts of chemicals and things. Or you can get a nice body scrub for $20 that lists all the things it doesn't have in it - no harsh chemicals, parabens, etc, etc - or you could make this body scrub with some oil and sugar at home for less than $1 - without having to pay $19 for the privilege of leaving out harsh chemicals and parabens.

I understand that the cheap products are cheap because their "ingredients" are chemicals that are probably very cheap to produce in mass quantities, but it just strikes me as really bizarre to spend a lot more money for a simpler product that you could probably replicate at home for cheaper than the dollar store stuff. And in general, it makes me tend to believe that a lot of these "natural" product lines are just huge marketing schemes to make money off of well-intentioned people who will put out more money to feel green/ethical/natural/etc.

domestix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
I am very "low maintenance" in grooming respects. My female trappings is footwear. I don't buy many pairs and none of them are heels but each year I drop 400-600$ on new boots and/or shoes. (And I wear scrubs and runners to work!!). I admit that I could buy fewer but i won't shop at Payless. I find cheaper footwear to be tasteless and uncomfortable. It doesn't help that I live one block from the best shoe store imaginable.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »
On an economic note... Isn't it ironic that the simpler/more "natural" a commercial beauty product, generally the more expensive it is?  . . . ..  you can get a nice body scrub for $20 that lists all the things it doesn't have in it - no harsh chemicals, parabens, etc, etc - or you could make this body scrub with some oil and sugar at home for less than $1 - without having to pay $19 for the privilege of leaving out harsh chemicals and parabens.

I understand that the cheap products are cheap because their "ingredients" are chemicals that are probably very cheap to produce in mass quantities, but it just strikes me as really bizarre to spend a lot more money for a simpler product that you could probably replicate at home for cheaper than the dollar store stuff. And in general, it makes me tend to believe that a lot of these "natural" product lines are just huge marketing schemes to make money off of well-intentioned people who will put out more money to feel green/ethical/natural/etc.

I find this bizarre as well.  There are companies who do care about their products, but inevitably they get bought out (looking at you Burt's Bees) and the naturalness destroyed.  Most things can be made at home anyway. 

I have a grocery store nearby that has bulk shampoo and conditioner, so I can get the SLS/paraben/etc-free stuff at a reasonable price. 

I'll also recommend pretty much anything made by Badger - their sore joint rub is better than IcyHot! (As an athlete, that is huge).  It's mostly beeswax, olive + essential oils, but they have economy of scale with the essential oils that makes the price worth it.  When you're done you can reuse the metal cans too. :-)

jesse.anne.o

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »

Well-said.

I don't want to encourage dragging this one out because I understand why there is discomfort for all re that response --  but I felt similarly to galaxie when I read that (although I wouldn't have worded it that way).  When I read the OP saying it was part vanity and part fear -- fear of WHAT wasn't indicated (that I saw in the original post). 

If I said I was holding off on giving up those things out of fear/vanity, in a general way it could be:  fear of public perception re professionalism and being polished, fear of not being found attractive, fear of not liking what I look like myself, fear of change, etc.  I think it was assumed it was fear of not being found attractive, which I thought was presumptuous.  Maybe I missed the part later on where she came out and said that outright, don't know.  It's just a tricky area because most people assume that women want to be attractive for the opposite sex, which is a challenging assumption, and a little disheartening to me.  (I like to look how I look and if someone finds me attractive, then great.  If not, oh well.  I still wear/do things my partner dislikes relevant to my appearance.  If he assured me he likes something one me, I can't say I will reconcile that thought with me looking the way I want to.  Does part of my appearance get influenced by what is conventionally attractive?  Sure.) 

Anyway, that assumption got the same reaction from me so galaxie wasn't alone on that one and I can understand the anger behind the response given.

startingover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
I'm not a frills girl.  I get my hair colored when I see too many grays.  I don't really care about hair cuts.  I have an "80's" look, I've been told, but it's easy.  I wear make up sometimes, always foundation.  And I use dollar shampoo.  I was raised by my Dad, so girly things don't really matter.  My husband sure doesn't mind!!

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »
I just want to add this one thing for those of us who feel like they need/want to wear makeup/concealer.  I use pinterest to find a lot of style DIY stuff and on there i found this link for DIY BB Cream.  I have red skin (i'll be looking into the oil wash asap) and work in the corporate world so on the days that I need to present (or video conference) this is what I do:

http://www.weddingbee.com/2011/12/29/helpful-series-ace-your-face-pt-1/#axzz2MgGkUgZD

And yes, you don't need to buy the high definition stuff from sephora - her link to the bulk distributor is the same and you can also usually find it as finishing powder in the Party City like costume shops for like $1.99 after halloween! 

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
I don't want to encourage dragging this one out because I understand why there is discomfort for all re that response --  but I felt similarly to galaxie when I read that (although I wouldn't have worded it that way).  When I read the OP saying it was part vanity and part fear -- fear of WHAT wasn't indicated (that I saw in the original post). 

If I said I was holding off on giving up those things out of fear/vanity, in a general way it could be:  fear of public perception re professionalism and being polished, fear of not being found attractive, fear of not liking what I look like myself, fear of change, etc.  I think it was assumed it was fear of not being found attractive, which I thought was presumptuous.  Maybe I missed the part later on where she came out and said that outright, don't know.  It's just a tricky area because most people assume that women want to be attractive for the opposite sex, which is a challenging assumption, and a little disheartening to me.  (I like to look how I look and if someone finds me attractive, then great.  If not, oh well.  I still wear/do things my partner dislikes relevant to my appearance.  If he assured me he likes something one me, I can't say I will reconcile that thought with me looking the way I want to.  Does part of my appearance get influenced by what is conventionally attractive?  Sure.) 

Anyway, that assumption got the same reaction from me so galaxie wasn't alone on that one and I can understand the anger behind the response given.

I apologize to anyone who might be offended. It most certainly wasn't my intent. Being comfortable and true to yourself was more along the lines of what I was going for.

That being said, we should probably let this thread continue on topic sans my interjection.

babysteps

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »
The less soap/cleanser I use, the less moisturizer I need & the better my skin looks.

I begin to wonder if many personal care products are designed mostly to make us use additional, related personal care products...

Healthy from the inside definitely works!

Way more details:

I am down to water, oil (olive or grapeseed - grapeseed not usually very MMM except we are in a wine growing region & I found some at our Big Lots) and vinegar for personal care.  Plus occasional rubbing alcohol for first aid and salt or baking soda (with oil) for exfoliation. 

I didnt' do this overnight - I shifted from more conventional personal care over a 10 year period.  Inspired by 3 things: sensitive ("cranky") skin, physical reality that cleaning comes mostly the scrubbing not the cleanser, and a desire to keep things as edible as possible.  Makes packing for travel real easy, almost no liquids to squeeze in my 1-qt bag :)  And I used to travel with 6 kinds of moisturizer!  (Face, eye, hand, nails, body, foot - plus chapstick.) I do use dish soap on my hands when cooking.

I don't usually use makeup (I have been on TV without makeup-of course I was in my 30s then!), but did have an event where my co-chair "required" it - so bought some all-purpose mineral makeup, at least that is shelf stable.  Have used it 3x in 4 yrs.

Hair, have long slightly wavy hair, I self-trim or get DH to trim the ends.  Air-dry 99% of the time.  Rinse 2-3x/week. 

I do use plenty of tools - a good quality comb (they last a looong time), hairbrush, toothbrush, dental floss, foot brush, washcloth, fingernail scissors, cotton swabs, tweezers, razor (a value pack of double-blade no-moisturizer lasts a very long time if you shave 'dry' and hone the blades after).  I clean the comb & hairbrush in hot water with washing soda to remove sebum (hair grease) buildup.

Seems there is wide variation from person to person in what works for body odor - vinegar works great for me as long as I shower daily.  Some find baking soda or salt crystal works much better for them.

Going without toothpaste was inspired by my dental hygienist when I asked her about toothpaste recipes - she was anti-baking soda but said 'it really doesn't matter - it's all about the brushing' - 3 yrs later and 2 dentists (we moved) agree it's working fine for me.  We do have fluoridated city water...  Plus, no toothpaste means I rarely need chapstick, which I was a heavy user of even after going no-makeup.  If I feel like I've had too much garlic and want to use a mouthwash, I gargle with a bit of my 'cleaning' vodka (works great on soap scum!) and spit it out.  Then carefully exhale the fumes ;)

Sunblock, I wear a hat and, if warranted, gloves.  I don't burn easily even though I have fair skin.  Sunblocks that I have tried make me nauseas or give me a wicked headache.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »
Apologies if these ideas have already been mentioned - I didn't read EVERY post but so far the replies sound awesome!

Here's what I do:

- I check out online makeup freebies (for me, in canada, this is www.smartcanucks.com)
- I cut my own bangs (practice makes perfect, and youtube videos are your friend)
- I host clothing swaps with friends and friends of friends! This has been a HUGE success, and I have been doing it every six months. It refreshes my wardrobe for free! If you don't have lady friends with wardrobes to make it possible, consider making it an event on meetup.com - that's what I did. I posted the event in the "Women Who Like to Have Fun for Free!" group. Your location will probably have a similar group, and if they don't - you can create one!
- Lingerie: I go once a year, and buy on boxing day! That is the only time of year that the prices are low enough to make this frivilous but awesome expense worth it for me. :)
- Pampering: I use groupons (www.groupon.com) and once in a blue moon they have a great pedicure deal or whatever. I also get my hair done at beauty schools (hit or miss results there!) and have stopped dying my hair, making peace with my natural colour.

I hope this helps! Such a great question!! Sounds like you're already doing a lot of awesome things.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »
Inspired by this thread, here's what I've put in place over the last couple of weeks:

Like babysteps, I have "cranky" skin, and the lovely face cream I bought last month for 27 euros gave me eczema   : ( !

I have ordered some essential oils, but while waiting, just went to the kitchen and have been using olive oil. I don't look like an olive (yet) and my eczema is slowly getting better.

Someone on the forum (and also in this thread) said to change the diet - I'd tried this before and couldn't stick with it. I'm not saying I'll be perfect now, but I've stopped sugar since last Sunday (not even a week) and already my skin has cleared up! This is frankly weird, it's so dramatic. Basically, I cut out bread (which in France is really a staple, and I ate a lot of it) and all things that are obviously sugary. This means that if there's hidden sugar or whatever - well too bad, I can't deal with being that strict, but this much I can handle. I was eating my tartines (bread) with confiture (jam) every morning, and now, it's a bowl of sugar-free muesli, for example. Also the dairy is gone, it's rice or soy milk.

Last thing, I do love good foundation. Like "Chanel". I mean, slap me, okay? Maybe my skin will soon look so amazing that I won't want it anymore. In any case, because I bought the essential oils, I don't have the budget for it this month. But - at my local Sephoras, they will give you a little container with a sample of whatever make-up you want, for FREE. This has kept me going for the past couple of weeks. Try it - it works (unless you sniff at my foundation habit, which in that case, get a perfume sample).

Thanks for all of your help, this has been a fun process of testing and trying new things.

kt

« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »
after having worn effectively no make up, nail varnish or jewellery for years i've just bought two nail polishes.
one of my cousins painted my nails a rainbow of colours and they made me smile when i was working. so i bought two lovely sunny shades. i am now remembering why i stopped painting my nails but it's a simple and cheap mood lift.
technically a backwards step i guess but i love them.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:24 AM »
I am proud to report that I haven't set foot or clicked into Sephora in 2013! Not that I haven't been tempted ... But I have resisted all the shiny things.

Instead I've been challenging myself to use the (ridiculous amount of) makeup I already have. There were items that I bought months ago and hadnt even tried yet, which just seems silly. I can have a lot of nights of drinking a glass of wine and playing with eyeshadow before I run out of options!

I always have dry skin in the winter, but this year I've been using some lovely argan oil on my skin as a moisturizer and it's lovely. My wintertime skin has never been so soft. I spritz my face with a little cold water, then massage in a few drops of oil around my eyes, on my forehead, and on my cheeks. The argan oil I have is from Sephora, but they sell it much more cheaply on Amazon. You can get a little bottle that will last 6-12 months for like $18.

Mama Mia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »
I was looking into getting DH a safety razor after reading about them in another thread. But now I want one!!!! 

psychomoustache

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
I too have a nailpolish weakness...I love creative colors, but I know, very frivolous.

and I want to look into Argan oil now...

I am often in the Sephora, but I never buy anything. I love to spritz myself with perfume, fuss around, and leave...I'm not really tempted -it's all just so expensive - it's ridiculous. There are TWO Sephora stores practically right next to each other in my tiny town (why??) so I switch off.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »
I was looking into getting DH a safety razor after reading about them in another thread. But now I want one!!!!

They are amazing!  And super cheap to keep up after the initial purchase. 

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
Arbor33 - your first post was such a breath of fresh air to me - thanks.

All the posts before this one have been amazing to read.

The things I can't do without currently are:

-my bike commute to work M-F - it is so great getting out into the fresh air and huffing and puffing up the hills
-eating good lean protein complemented by a mostly full plate of natural food (ie fruit, veg, nuts & seeds)
-coconut oil - this stuff is amazing and has saved me from winter colds for the last two winters (drink), it's also great on skin
-getting good quality sleep
-waking up early (5am) to squeeze my studies, full time job and son in
-drinking lots of water
-catching up with friends
-going for walks
-using the library
-badger products for lips, hands and feet

Other stuff ...

Clothes: buy second hand, or on sale, and plan to visit the local thrift store
Shoes: a range of flats with the odd high heel. Purchase exercise shoes on sale or second hand new as exercise is important and good exercise shoes reduce injuries
Hair: shampoo/condition twice a week, this can fall to once a week when on holiday
Haircuts: I sometimes get a free cut for helping a friend with his cat; otherwise once every three months (still looking for a cheaper option)
Body hair: razors
Makeup: don't wear any to work; May use mascara and lip balm for special occasions

Adopting an MMM lifestyle has seen the following improvements:
-our yearly budget is under $24,000 - I could get this cheaper but child care is essential during school holidays.  I could happily go without a car but haven't yet succeeded in talking my son into riding bikes to the supermarket.  But I do this when my son's with his Dad.
-reduced our phone/internet bill from $156 per month for 1 smart mobile, 1 home line & 20g broadband to $100 per month for 50g broadband p/m and 1 smart mobile (honestly, I'm still disgusted by this but it's the cheapest to be found).
-using the bike a lot more, in fact MMM encouraged my commute to work and this happens 5x each week (including winter).
-started learning about bike maintenance.
-don't eat take aways.
-turning the hot water cylinder off and turning it on twice a week (this is an experiment to see if we can reduce the electricity bill).
-turning power points and lights off when not in use.  The electricity bill is now under $100 p/m, coming from over $150 p/m.
-making lunches for school and work 5x per week.
-we live in a good area, close to school and work, with public transport within walking distance.
-we keep in touch with friends by using viber on the mobile; and skype on the computer.
-mow the lawn (this has been beyond my girl nature but I accepted the challenge and it's actually quite a satisfying (but dirty) job.
-DIY around the house.  This has been highly intimidating, but the internet is great for researching what's needed.  I still use blokes for some jobs as some jobs are beyond my physical capabilities.  (ie going up ladders is mind blowingly scary and something that has a mental block that seems quite impenetrable at this stage!).  Also, blokes are used if I don't have time and while studying and working my time is quite limited!  However, this isn't done without careful consideration of the dollars!  Mostly I fall into house maintenance mode during the semester breaks!
-the car sits in the garage quite a lot, so I'm currently investigating $2000 cars - as the spare cash could go towards the mortgage (don't have one yet, but this will feature in the not too distant future.)
-no debt - pay credit card off regularly; paid for car with cash, pay for studies as I go (no student loans), no mortgage (yet!).
-put a lot of thought into the MMM lifestyle and have to say it makes a lot of sense.

Sorry this is so long, but it's lovely sharing with lovely lady staches who understand what it's like being a lady whilst aspiring to growing our staches!

Go well!

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
I'm confused about all the people using coconut oil on their skin.  It made me break out like crazy. 

Am I the only one?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:23 AM »
I'm confused about all the people using coconut oil on their skin.  It made me break out like crazy. 

Am I the only one?

Nope, it did the same thing to me. And my skin never breaks out! The argan oil I use never had that effect, though, so I guess it's just an individual thing. And I do like coconut oil on my cuticles, and to eat by the spoonful.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

Am I the only one?
Me too, we must be slightly allergic to it.  Well, it doesn't make me break out exactly, instead it makes my skin chap badly.  I can eat it with no problems though, so I don't know for sure.

feistygg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »
I made an appendix in my spreadsheet that tracks my finances just for "personal care." I love, love, love my makeup and nail polish so I went and found out what the "shelf" life is for different products and allow myself guilt free to buy 1 new of whatever it is when it's expiration is up. I immediately throw out the "old" stuff.

It feels a little wasteful especially things like mascara which I'm told you need to replace anywhere from every 3 weeks to 3 months (I've heard everything on this one.) I replace the mascara every 3 months. For me the most important part was just being aware and putting it into context. ie realizing I only really wear makeup to go to work or school.

On a side note, any chance we could start a lady stache category?

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
This thread is amazing. So glad I found it!

First, the "bad" (i.e. what I USED to do and have now stopped doing).

In middle/high school I had terrible acne. Before seeing a dermatologist, I spend so much money on crappy makeup and things like Clearasil, Noxema, Clean n' Clear. You name it, I tried it. Same with acne meds - you name it, I was on it. When I was in college I was finally able to stop taking acne meds and instead went for the Proactive route. I don't use that anymore, but I'll cover that in a minute. I've spent a lot on makeup over the years as well, given that I had a pretty bad acne problem for a while. And for hair, I've tried every product under the sun to get my curly hair under control.

Current routines:

Face: I now only use Cetaphil cleanser and SPF moisturizer. My skin still gets a bit oily, so I'm curious about this oil cleanser that people are making. Would it make my skin more oily or make it healthier? I drink a lot of water and herbal tea, so I think this contributes heavily to a better complexion compared to when I was younger and drank a ton of diet pepsi.

Body: My mom is addicted to Bath and Body Works (and shopping in general), so I usually get free body wash and lotion a few times a year from her. I am actually not a fan of these products, but I'm not going to pass up free things. When I buy my own soap, I get bar soap from my local farmer's market and get an Aveeno-brand body lotion with SPF. In the summer I always use the Aveeno SPF since my skin is more exposed to the sun then.

Hair: I use the 365 brand (Whole Foods) shampoo and conditioner usually. I was experiencing very dry scalp recently and switching to a shampoo without sodium laurel sulfate has helped. Since I have curly hair it is better for me to only shampoo my hair every other day. I do condition every day, though. I'll occasionally get salon-quality shampoo and conditioner from my mother since she runs a beauty salon (we live 1,000 miles away from each other so I don't get these things often). She also cuts my hair when we see each other, so I don't spend any money on the salon. I used to go to the salon anyway, but stopped when I realized I could save around $200 a year if I just had my mom cut my hair! I also never used to dye my hair, but lately I've found it fun. Again, my mom does it, so it only costs me about $5 to buy the bottle of dye from the beauty supply store as my mom has the rest of the ingredients. I like my hair as it is, but for $5 every few months, it is worth it to me to change things up a bit.

Shaving: I wax my underarms, but I've only had to buy one kit over the past year and it cost $15. I use GiGi hemp wax. The wax isn't even half gone, so this should last me a few years! I have a razor for my legs and probably only go through 3-4 blades a year. I don't shave every day in the winter, but usually have to in the summer. Body hair is the bane of my existence! I once spent $1,000 on laser hair removal for my bikini area. I will never do that again, because the hair was never permanently removed. However, I don't regret getting it done because it did improve the amount of ingrown hairs I get on that area of my body. I hardly get any now and the frequency of hair is less than it used to be. But I've just accepted that I'm a hairy person and do what I can. A set of tweezers, razor, and hemp wax is working well for now. I am curious if an epilator would work on me, because that initial investment could save me money over time.

Make-Up: I use Bare Essentials products, but only have to buy powder and primer more than once a year. I use eye shadows for a long time and get every last ounce out of my mascara tube. I have had to wear makeup more often lately - usually 6 days a week because my jobs require me to look nice. I have to look nice at my 9-5 job and I also have to look nice as a waitress. I often have to touch up my make-up in between jobs, which means I use more. It sucks, but that is the way it is right now. I probably spend $100 on makeup a year, so perhaps I can bring this down a bit. I do have to use concealer on my undereyes, but I think I might switch to a cheaper brand.

Overall health: I drink lots of water and herbal tea. I also try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I can and go light on the meat. I do eat quite a bit of grains as well, probably more than I should. I have a sweet tooth, but try not to go overboard. I don't have a car where I live, so I walk a lot. I take the bus to work and walk when the weather is nice. I am trying to decide if I want to get a bike - my old one was stolen, so I'm hesitant. I also do yoga at home via podcasts and YouTube. My main "beauty" weakness is massage. I LOVE massages. I would have one every week if I could afford it. I only get two a year right now, and that just doesn't feel like enough.

Shoes: The bad news here is I was born with bad feet. I was never one to wear super high-heels, but in the past few years I've discovered that I can't wear high heels at all and that even flats hurt. I recently went to the podiatrist because my feet were hurting every single day. I'll be getting custom insoles soon and I have a list of shoes that I can buy. I will have to buy high-quality shoes from now on, meaning I will have to spend more money. If I don't do this then I'll likely have to have surgery someday. So this is a necessary expense.

Clothes: I only buy clothes when I absolutely need them. My mom, the one addicted to shopping, picks me up things now and then and sends me gift cards to stores. While I would prefer she not do that, I've given up on trying to tell her I only shop at TJ Maxx or second-time stores. She has learned that buying me a TJ Maxx gift card is appreciated, so I end up buying a lot of clothes there. I have learned what works on my body, though, so I have a good set of black/brown work pants and skirts, and jeans for casual outings. I probably buy 1-2 new tops in the winter and summer since I wear out my clothes rather quickly. This, however, might have been due to the poor water quality in my old building. I moved a few months ago and noticed that my clothes don't take as much of a beating as they used to. I tend to buy solid colors and standard pieces since those don't go out of style. I also value comfort over anything. My friends used to tease me for that, but I think I'm the one who is going to be better off, financially in the long run :) I'm also the one person who still has clothes from high school...yeah...I was in high school 10 years ago. But nothing is wrong with this sweatshirt so why get rid of it? I recently just got rid of a pair of sweatpants from high school because the elastic was falling out. I was quite sad about that, actually!

Nails: I hate the feeling of nail polish or fake nails on my fingers, so I don't have to worry about that! I do enjoy pedicures, but it is something I can live without. I occasionally paint my toenails (in the summer only) and have 2 shades I use and have had for years. Can't remember the last time I bought nail polish.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:00:56 PM by KatieSSS »

babysteps

• Stubble
Random list of foods-as-beauty-products
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »
Note: if you are anti-consumerist this is a site that is devoted to "beauty" and thus has lots of ads for products.

If you are good at focusing just on the content, it's no worse than many other websites :)

That said, here is a link to a list (click on 'view gallery') of foods you can use as beauty products  http://www.stylelist.com/view/skin-food-which-beauty-products-are-hiding-your-kitchen?ncid=wsc-dl-cards-readmore

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
@babysteps: Thanks for the link! I never thought of cornstarch for face powder. But DUH - corn starch helps soak up the moisture in diaper rashes and makes greasy hair look ungreasy. I think I'll start mixing this in with my powder to make it last longer.

babysteps

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
@KatieSSS you're welcome. 

I've also heard that corn starch makes good foot powder. 

Plain talc (a mineral) has always worked fine for me for foot powder, so you might want to run the #s before switching.  You'd think something you can eat would cost more than some fine-ground rock, but who knows!

As long as I scrub my feet daily and wear socks most days, I seem to have outgrown footpowder :)

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

Am I the only one?

I'm using 70% olive oil to 30% castor oil. So far so good and my skin is super sensitive.  I will stay away from the coconut though, just in case.   My sister just tried some cleanse/diet called Standard Process and her skin looks amazing (and she lost 15lbs but this was more about the cleanse then the diet).  I'm not buying their product but i am trying the diet (fruit,veggies,water,fiber only).   I'll keep you posted on if it works for me.

Because of this post I did buy the diva cup and the crystal rock deodorant.  LOVE IT!!!!!  So mad i didn't know about that before!  Especially the DivaCup - I've had cramps for years and that took care of them immediately. 

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
I pretty much DIY all of my own beauty regimens and have changed over to using homemade beauty products and use Oil Cleansing Method on my face.  I could really kick myself for spending money on all of these commercial beauty products I thought I needed for all those years. Grrr!

But, there are times when I like a little pampering and have found a great way to get these services just by bartering.  My hairdresser owns her own shop that offers a variety of other spa services.  Since I am a massage therapist by trade we have worked out a great barter: a massage in exchange for a haircut and color. I have also worked out several other barters for manicures, pedicures, and facials with some of the other staff there. It works out great for both sides of the barter, everyone's happy. Last year I probably received over $1500 in spa services for free...just by bartering my time. 

I highly encourage the barter system for services if you have something to offer and you have the time, it's a great way to save money. You just don't have to  barter mutual spa services, my hairdresser also barters with her accountant, web designer, marketing expert, floral designer (beautiful fresh flowers delivered weekly to the salon), a cake baker (fresh baked goods delivered to make available to clients), painter, plumber and repairman.

Now, if I didn't have the luxury of this great barter relationship I would just go back to DIYing my own beauty regimens, no worries.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2013, 06:38:03 AM »
I'm excited to have found this thread.  Love it. 

I'm pretty low maintenance, I grew up with a mother who didn't really get into much of the girly primping, so I never really learned.  It was actually a little intimidating when I met my future mother-in-law (beautician) and sisters-in-law (local beauty queens) for the first time, since I'd never been around half that stuff.  I shouldn't have worried.

My morning routine is pretty minimal shower with whatever is on hand (only use shampoo if I've gotten actively sweaty since the last shower) shave with soap and water or just water in the shower.  Face lotion with sunscreen, spf15 loose powder and mascara.  I haven't really had a period since I started birth control, so I don't have a feminine hygeine  product right now (which I had to admit at recent gathering when I friend needed a tampon.)  I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that right now. Growing up, my sister and I shared a bathroom, and she would sometimes use them up, without me knowing. This led to a habit of hiding extra tampons around my room and in the car that persisted for years.  I would forget and then find them in the weirdest places.

One thing I learned from an interaction with a friend is that attitude is everything, you don't actually have to be highly made up/richly dressed, you just need to 'read' made-up/richly dressed to the casual observer.  This was in the year when we were on clinics and everyone was tired, I happened to compliment her one day on how nice she was looking and she laughed and said "it's the necklace."  She was wearing a large brightly colored necklace, and admitted that she hadn't felt like showering or putting on makeup that morning, but had found that if she pulled back her hair and wore flashy accessories, no one ever noticed, and she would even get compliments.  I personally can't stand having heavy accessories, but have found that a scarf or some larger than normal earring make me looked pulled together even when I'm feeling lazy.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »
Ahoy, makeup-wearing lady staches!

I started using L'Oreal's BB cream thingie in January, and I loooove it. It has the consistency of a very loose lotion, and 1/2 dime-sized squeeze is all it takes for the day. They have different skin tones, but I think it all comes out as this black-flecked grey goop (I'm making it sound so good, I know), and it ~*magically*~ blends to your skin color. I had been using Bare Minerals powder, but the L'Oreal coverage is longer-lasting and more natural looking on me. Plus, it's cheaper and easier to find.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
I would suggest reading a book called "The Beauty Myth". It really opened up my eyes.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
Bumping this up to ask a random lady question: Bras!

I am in that situation where my bras are on their last legs. They have stretched out and no longer really hold the shape. I've always bought my bras at Victoria's Secret, but I'm not too happy with how they hold up and I'm looking for a better investment.

It would be a bonus if I could find a bra that doesn't show the lines on your back (aka "back fat"). I'm thin and I still have it!

So what is your go-to brand, ladies?

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »

I am in that situation where my bras are on their last legs. They have stretched out and no longer really hold the shape. I've always bought my bras at Victoria's Secret, but I'm not too happy with how they hold up and I'm looking for a better investment.

It would be a bonus if I could find a bra that doesn't show the lines on your back (aka "back fat"). I'm thin and I still have it!

Panache or Freya, but they are the only ones I can find in store that carry 28 bands.  If you are a 30 or above then there are more options.

Constance Noring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
Katie: First, get yourself remeasured, so you can be absolutely sure you're in the right size. It's amazing how many women have no idea what size they really are, and the problem you mentioned - back fat issues (for want of a better term) is a sizing problem. Ironically enough, it's probably because your bras are stretched out. Since you mentioned being fairly thin, I'm going to guess that a refit will probably have you in a smaller band size and a larger cup size than you think.

Second, be prepared to try on A LOT of bras. You need to know what style works best for your shape. Just because a particular style comes in your size doesn't mean it's the bra for you. If they did, we wouldn't have so many different bras! Take note of the things that work for you - a thicker or thinner gore (the bit between the cups), the cut of the cup itself, the thickness of the wings - it all makes a difference.

Finally, if you want your bras to last, hand wash always and never ever (on pain of death I'm not even kidding) put them in the dryer. Buy bras that you need to fasten on the outermost hook when you first get it, so as the elastic loosens, you can just tighten it.

As for brands, I'm still a Victoria's Secret girl myself (they've done well enough over the years for me to feel no need to stray), and I understand that venturing beyond will put you squarely in investment territory, with some of the higher end brands running well over $100 a bra. I'll freely cop to my ignorance of the particulars of those more expensive bras, so I can't say if they would last longer or better (though I would certainly hope so). 

Hope this helps!

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
I had a very successful bra shopping experience at Nordstrom last year. They measured me, I told them what I didn't want (no crazy colors, no lace that shows through knits, and nothing over $40), and they just brought me what i asked for to try on. $20-$40 each is still pretty expensive, but I also have some cheaper ones from target (<$15 each) that are probably 5+ years old and are still wearable*.If you have the patience, you can find good ones at a good price.

*idefinitely do not wash them every wear, in fact I'm not sure I'm comfortable publicizing the length I go between washes, and they never go in the dryer. I figure showering regularly and letting bras air out between wears is good enough. They certainly don't stink and no one has ever complained, so it's one less load of laundry to worry about most weeks.

stinkindog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
dr. bronners soap, nature's gate shampoo/conditioner. shower at night. rinse my face in the a.m.and add a little nature's gate or oil of olay w/sunscreen lotion- that is my routine.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

This post on APW was amazing: http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/04/find-bras-that-fit/

I swear by Freya and they're about $60-70 a pop. Totally worth it. YMMV though.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
In response to the bra question:

- If you have a Dillard's location close by - they occasionally have % of sales and you can find very good deals on high end bras.  I like Wacoal.

- Gap Body bras are pretty nice and surprising comfortable. 

- Loehmann's also sometimes has decent deals on bras and they will have % off sales.

Good luck!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:24 AM »
Follow up on the bra question: measure your rib cage right underneath your breasts.  If it is anything less than 32, do not fall for the sales lady trying to put you in a 32 or higher (99% chance that's all they have in stock).  The smallest rib cage "easily" available in the States is 28 although there is a Polish or British company that just started making 26s last year.  You will have to search for these - either boutiques or online sites that carry Panache/Freya are a good place to start (both offer 28 bands at the most reasonable price point).  Once you find something that fits Ebay can be a good resource.  Also, don't underestimate the importance of properly fitting sports bras.  The day I discovered under wire, fitted sports bras was amazing.

If you are lucky enough to be a 32-36 A-D then you have the world of Victoria's Secret and department stores available to you. Anything outside of that and you will have to put in some effort.  In my personal opinion the reduced back pain, confidence, and fit is worth the effort and extra money.  Bras tend to be my soapbox . . . .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!