Author Topic: Ladies- what basics (T shirts, bras, underwear) do you love?  (Read 5180 times)

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm at the point with my wardrobe that I really need to replace a lot of basics.  I take good care of my stuff, so a lot of my basics (T shirts, bras, underwear) are about 10 years old, so the stuff I love isn't made anymore by the same brands. Please share your favorite brands/shops with me!

T shirts: looking for cotton, slim cut- ladies' type cut, not the boxy ones that appear to be popular today.  I'm also very petite with a short torso, I really dislike the long ones that are also popular- they look like tunic tops on me.

Underwear: looking for ones that stay in place, and don't have a thick band around the leg- so VPL please!

Bras: I know this is really personal fit, but looking for everyday stuff, nothing fancy.  Give me some brands to look at!

Looking for quality over price, hoping to get stuff that will last me another 5 - 10 years.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Ladies- what basics (T shirts, bras, underwear) do you love?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
Sorry, but you're kind of fucked on the t-shirt front.

As someone who used to live in fitted Ts, I actually had to buy a serger and learn how to use it in order to get a t-shirt that fit the way they used to.

I've since switched to merino wool t-shirts anyway. Icebreaker makes some nicely cut ones that aren't boxy or long. They're about $100/shirt though.

As for underwear, I buy a cotton kind from La Senza that has thin edges and a thick band of ultra comfortable lace at the top, so nothing digs in and looks virtually seamless under clothes. I can't wear any synthetic fiber underwear, so the usual seamless are a no-go for me.

As for bras, well, that's 100% personal. I'm a specialty size, so I have that issue, but it also means that no bra lasts very long, so I can't even fathom a bra lasting 10 years of regular wear.

Even then, I've pretty much given up on real bras and mostly wear Puma sports bras that I buy at Costco in a 2 pack.
Now whenever I wear my $250 underwire, I can't understand how I used to tolerate it 12 hrs a day!!!

Overall though, I've found the most consistent source of well priced, decent quality clothes to be the Costco products that are made in Canada. Unfortunately, they're all too big for me now, so I don't buy them anymore because it's not worth the time and energy I have to put in to tailor them.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »
I buy all of this stuff at Costco. Felina high cut or bikini cut underwear. Jockey bralettes and Gloria Vanderbilt bras (no underwire for me!). Tshirts are hit or miss, but right now they have some vent back tshirts that I think are the brand 32 Degrees that are very flattering. I also recently found some long, well fitting Ts at a Columbia Outlet sidewalk sale. I'll admit that none of these items last me for 5-10 years, but I also don't take good care of my clothing. Everything gets thrown into the washing machine together regardless of color and washed on a warm setting, including my bras.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »
I have a very difficult-to-fit bra size (large cup, very small band- yes, some of us need a band size of 30) and have only had luck with British brands sold online. My favorite brand is Fantasie, and I usually get a few years of good wear per bra, although I own several and stagger new purchases to ensure that I always have wearable pieces. The regular per-bra prices tend to be in the US$50–75 range. Sometimes online stores like Bravissimo or Figleaves have good sales. Sometimes these can be found new, either with or without tags, on eBay.

Still looking for good underwear. I like these when I don't have to worry about VPL. I have a few pairs of Jockey lycra undershorts to wear under skirts and more fitted things. I will have to check out the Felina options at Costco.

I second the 32 Degrees shirts from Costco. I have several long-sleeved thermal versions for winter. They're on the thin side, though, so they're better for layering pieces. But they fit closely and work well under sweaters.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
I also get basics at Costco. For bras, I like the Maidenform options at Target. Sometimes they are on sale 2/$10. They are amazing. You have to try on a variety to find the best fit. I think mine is a smooth Tshirt fit or something.

I'm in denial that I need to replace my underwear. Mine are all 10+ years old, and I can't find what I prefer to replace them. I like a low rise thong that Victoria's Secret used to sell. I wash & then line dry, which is why mine have lasted so long. I've tried a few options from Target, and still am not sold on anything.

For tshirts, I usually shop at the Gap. Their quality as well as cut varies quite a bit, so you'll need to try on options. I also picked up what I'd describe as a nearly perfect tshirt at Banana Republic. It was heavily clearanced, so maybe $12? I'd say for the tshirts, look around & keep an eye out for options at various stores, including on clearance, etc.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
I'm pretty basic. I buy cotton panties from Amazon, and my bras from Hanes. I like a specific front closing style, and I just order them online.

Can't help much with the t-shirts, but Target had nice close fitting cotton tanks this winter. I mostly wear them as an under layer and if you don't want them long you'd probably have to hem them up. They're a nice weight, though, and I usually don't think much of Target's clothes.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »
I have a very difficult-to-fit bra size (large cup, very small band- yes, some of us need a band size of 30) and have only had luck with British brands sold online.

Ugh. Yes.

I don't understand where tiny people find clothes.
I'm not tiny, I'm 5'7" and not underweight. I'm a fairly normal size, and yet I need a 30" bra band, which seems to be unfathomable small to retailers for some reason.

I look at my 5'0" patients with their teeny tiny frames and wonder how they manage to find things that fit???

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:44:42 AM »
I have a very difficult-to-fit bra size (large cup, very small band- yes, some of us need a band size of 30) and have only had luck with British brands sold online.

Ugh. Yes.

I'm not tiny, I'm 5'7" and not underweight. I'm a fairly normal size, and yet I need a 30" bra band, which seems to be unfathomable small to retailers for some reason.

I look at my 5'0" patients with their teeny tiny frames and wonder how they manage to find things that fit???

I'm 5'0". I buy petite pants and sometimes have to hem them. Fortunately I wear a US petite size 6 or 8 (not overweight, but hourglass frame) so I can sometimes find things that approximate a decent fit in stores. I also love the current cropped and ankle-length pant trend because I can buy ankle-length jeans and pants and maybe not have to hem them! Shirts can be a nightmare. If I find something that fits well, I tend to buy several in different colors. I also don't understand why the armholes are always huge! I often avoid sleeveless things because I will need to have the straps taken up a couple of inches to ensure that the lower armholes don't expose my bra.

Choir uniform dresses are a giant pain. For one choir, the current style is three pieces. The XS jacket is so long on me that I'm considering having it hemmed up. I was talked into buying a medium-sized shell so that it wouldn't be tight across the chest, and had to exchange it for a small so that I wouldn't have to have it taken in at every seam. I think I had a foot taken off of the skirt hem (again, size small). I'm so grateful that my other choir only requires concert black.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
For underwear, I buy Jockey regular bikini cut. They are expensive, but last well. They fit well and are cotton. For the T-shirts I actually like the Hanes pack of mens v-neck. They fit well and are't super long. For bras I'm hard to fit, but have found a certain Bali one that fits nice. Super plain jane, I don't like anything frilly.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
For underwear, I like Jockey panties and Vanity Fair bras.  LL Bean pima cotton t-shirts are good too - some are on the longer side, but there is a nice elbow-length sleeve one that's quite a bit shorter.  The sleeves can be cuffed if they seem too long.  Otherwise, Costco for tees, but most are quite long, and the arms are made for orangutans.

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »
Never thought about Costco, will have to check that out.  I don't have a membership, but I have friends that do.  It would be really great if your favorite stores just kept a rotating stock of basics, but it seems like they change all the time, so when something wears out you have to hunt all over again.  I guess this speaks to the wisdom of, "if it fits well, buy at least 2!"

Shrinkydink8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »

Ugh. Yes.

I'm 5'2" and tiny all around.  Honestly, I used to get some stuff in the kids' department.  Seriously.  Although it's the right length, it's not cut for a woman's figure though.

And yes, the new cropped length trend is great for me- no hemming required!  But the loooong tops are getting old.  I also hate "midi length".  That for me = floor grazing. 

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the quality of Target's new Auden line is. I bought a strapless bra from the line since it had free shipping & free returns, with the lowest possible expectations, and I was shocked at how comfortable it is. I've also had good luck with going to Macy's, trying on a bajillion things, then stalking their clearance sales for the right brand & size.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
I'm at the point with my wardrobe that I really need to replace a lot of basics.  I take good care of my stuff, so a lot of my basics (T shirts, bras, underwear) are about 10 years old, so the stuff I love isn't made anymore by the same brands. Please share your favorite brands/shops with me!

T shirts: looking for cotton, slim cut- ladies' type cut, not the boxy ones that appear to be popular today.  I'm also very petite with a short torso, I really dislike the long ones that are also popular- they look like tunic tops on me.

Underwear: looking for ones that stay in place, and don't have a thick band around the leg- so VPL please!

Bras: I know this is really personal fit, but looking for everyday stuff, nothing fancy.  Give me some brands to look at!

Looking for quality over price, hoping to get stuff that will last me another 5 - 10 years.

Tshirts:  slim cut ladies type cut: I used to use J Crew's "perfect tee"--I loved them and would buy 5 at a time, but the last batch I got developed holes in less than a week, so I returned them.  I switched to Eddie Bauer, which are okay but not as nice as the J Crew ones (although I like that they were cheaper). 

Underwear:   I like Hanes organic (or something) that are available online in a pack of a few (don't remember how many).  I used to love Victoria's Secret low rise bikini, but they stopped making them and the ones that replaced them (hip hugger) were shoddy.  The regular Hanes (non-organic or whatever) I got in the same shipment have not held up--the elastic broke on most of them within months.  Only the organic-esque ones are holding up after a year or so.

Bras:  I get Maidenform online from the same website as Hanes.   They had a BOGO sale last time I bought them.

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
T-shirts: Costco, especially 32 degrees brand
Underwear: Jockey boy-shorts style, so great for no VPL
Bras: Maidenform. I stock up when they’re on sale.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
I tend to have decent luck with tj maxx/Marshall’s and Target for basics. I’m still ok with Victoria Secret bras because I’m an easy to find, average size. Underwear is the worst for me, I used to hit up VS during their sales but lately I’ve noticed the quality has gone downhill and their cuts are no longer flattering on my body. I’m kind of at a loss in that department.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
I have a very difficult-to-fit bra size (large cup, very small band- yes, some of us need a band size of 30) and have only had luck with British brands sold online. My favorite brand is Fantasie, and I usually get a few years of good wear per bra, although I own several and stagger new purchases to ensure that I always have wearable pieces. The regular per-bra prices tend to be in the US$50–75 range.

Yes, we're out there!! Why do all the band sizes start at 32??? I've had good luck with a British brand, Freya, ordered from Amazon. They are good quality, and I do throw mine in the washer. They're usually in the $70 US range, but I've found them on clearance for as low as $15 each.
I'm still having trouble with sports bras. If I buy an XS so that the band fits, there's no joy in the cup size. I have two Champion brand ones I found on clearance at Target that I'm babying along.
For underwear, I love Soma! They are no-VPL except under the tightest dress clothes. They are $10-15 each, and regularly go on sale. Around Mother's Day they offered a 'buy a $100 gift card for mom, get a $20 gc for yourself' deal that I considered getting to save 20%. I've been machine washing and air drying, and they've lasted for 3 years in great shape.
I'm a Tall, so I love Gap's online Tall options in t-shirts. I've also had good luck with Target's Merona brand v-necks. I did have one Gap long-sleeve shirt for over 10 years before I got rid of it because I was sick of looking at it.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 08:23:26 PM »
I have a very difficult-to-fit bra size (large cup, very small band- yes, some of us need a band size of 30) and have only had luck with British brands sold online. My favorite brand is Fantasie, and I usually get a few years of good wear per bra, although I own several and stagger new purchases to ensure that I always have wearable pieces. The regular per-bra prices tend to be in the US$50–75 range.

Yes, we're out there!! Why do all the band sizes start at 32??? I've had good luck with a British brand, Freya, ordered from Amazon. They are good quality, and I do throw mine in the washer. They're usually in the $70 US range, but I've found them on clearance for as low as $15 each.
I'm still having trouble with sports bras. If I buy an XS so that the band fits, there's no joy in the cup size. I have two Champion brand ones I found on clearance at Target that I'm babying along.
For underwear, I love Soma! They are no-VPL except under the tightest dress clothes. They are $10-15 each, and regularly go on sale. Around Mother's Day they offered a 'buy a $100 gift card for mom, get a $20 gc for yourself' deal that I considered getting to save 20%. I've been machine washing and air drying, and they've lasted for 3 years in great shape.
I'm a Tall, so I love Gap's online Tall options in t-shirts. I've also had good luck with Target's Merona brand v-necks. I did have one Gap long-sleeve shirt for over 10 years before I got rid of it because I was sick of looking at it.

Freya also sells sports bras and that’s my go to sports bra brand. I had two for 5ish years. Replaced one last year and now the other (I think almost 6 years) needs replacing as well. I wash them in washer but usually air dry.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »

I'm still having trouble with sports bras. If I buy an XS so that the band fits, there's no joy in the cup size.

Freya also sells sports bras and that’s my go to sports bra brand. I had two for 5ish years. Replaced one last year and now the other (I think almost 6 years) needs replacing as well. I wash them in washer but usually air dry.

Freya standard bras don’t fit me quite as well as Fantasie bras, but yes, Freya makes great sports bras in actual cup/band sizes. None of this XS/S/M/L nonsense.

I’ve also heard very good things about Enell sports bras but haven’t yet tried them myself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:35:01 PM by OtherJen »

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
I love smartwool shirts! They are pricey but last a long time and always look great on.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 05:40:09 AM »
Tshirts:  the only ones I like these days are the modal ones that Lands End makes.  Their regular cotton ones are too boxy.  They also come in petite sizes so I don't look like I'm wearing my big sister's hand me downs.

Underwear:  for cotton, I like victoria Secret, they last a long time.  For wicking underwear, I like Ex Officio or Duluth Trading Company.

Bras:  Coobie.  Not only relatively cheap but no comfortable that I don't feel compelled to take it off the minute I get home.  The only downside is that they are a nylon that doesn't wick so sticky in the summer.  I have an Ibex merino wool bra that is awesome, but they went out of business before I could buy more.  This one is great for hiking, because I never feel sweaty.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 09:32:55 AM »
I stopped wearing bras. I'm relatively small at 34d but I know larger breasted women who don't wear bras as well. Unless you're jogging I don't see the point.
Under boob sweat is a natural thing, just air them out!

I started wearing bamboo underwear and they don't stretch out the way my cotton ones used too.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
Bras: Maidenform fits me really well, of all the affordable brands. Amazon has them for relatively cheap, if you figure out which size fits you best.

Underwear: Aerie has some boyshort ones I live in, and under dresses the high-waisted lace ones look 1950s-glam-hot and cost 3$.

BayAreaFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
I really like the Daily Ritual brand on Amazon for basic cotton (and linen) t-shirts. They come in just about every cut, color, and fabric weight you could ask for, and are usually 2/$20.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
For sports bras I love North Face Bounce B-Gone bra...I own 7 of these from various seasons and they have changed a little, but still are the most actually tight fitting, perfect for high impact activities bra I have ever found. They last a pretty long time as well.  I wear one every day, and have for the past 6 years and the oldest ones are still in great condition

I don't own any regular bras, because I am small chested and also almost never wear dressy clothing. Maybe I should purchase an actual real bra before I am 30, but I am undecided because they seem super uncomfortable. I'd love a recommendation for a regular bra that is almost like a sports bra except appropriate to wear under a nice blouse or fancy dress.

For base layer shirts I love Ibex but they went out of business unfortunately...I have at least 6 of their woolies shirts and wear them all the time.

For tanks, I have various brands but my favorite are Lululemon power Y tanks. They have a built in sports bra that is actually tight, and they are snug and flattering to wear alone or under things. I get them on Ebay for about $20. They are super high quality, so I feel like it's worth it.

For undies I love Patagonia. The barely hipster ones are super soft and stretchy. I have a few pairs of those and they are mostly what I wear. I also have some older Aerie underwear with a thick lace waistband that is SUPER comfy, and doesn't cut into my hips.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
I don't own any regular bras, because I am small chested and also almost never wear dressy clothing. Maybe I should purchase an actual real bra before I am 30, but I am undecided because they seem super uncomfortable. I'd love a recommendation for a regular bra that is almost like a sports bra except appropriate to wear under a nice blouse or fancy dress.

If you don't need much support, and just need something that can be cute under a fancy blouse, anything advertised as "bralet" will work. Aerie has some cute ones made out of stretchy lace that are lovely and comfy, but not much support.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »
I really like the Daily Ritual brand on Amazon for basic cotton (and linen) t-shirts. They come in just about every cut, color, and fabric weight you could ask for, and are usually 2/$20.

OOOOOOOH. Ive been looking at their t-shirt dresses. How's the drape of the fabric?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
I stopped wearing bras. I'm relatively small at 34d but I know larger breasted women who don't wear bras as well. Unless you're jogging I don't see the point.

I started wearing bamboo underwear and they don't stretch out the way my cotton ones used too.

How is a 34D small???

You must have anti-grav boobs, because drooping D's are no fucking joke. Those fuckers like to reside in your armpits or near your bottom ribs if not strapped into place with veritable boob-armor.

I mean, I get an A or B cup not needing support, but a D???
Are you a teenager?
If not, I'm sorry, but I hate you. I don't know you, but I hate you.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
OMG yes this ^^^! Very difficult to just air them out if they are big.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »

How is a 34D small???

You must have anti-grav boobs, because drooping D's are no fucking joke. Those fuckers like to reside in your armpits or near your bottom ribs if not strapped into place with veritable boob-armor.

Are you a teenager?

Um. My last bra purchase was a solid 38G.

... and I'm currently bra-less because I'm at home. They droop about an inch more than they do in a bra (yes, I just checked in the mirror, and then cackled at myself), and I'm in my mid-30s and have nursed 2 kids. I read something about how not wearing bras strengthens the muscles that support them, which in turn means less need of wearing bras... no idea if that's accurate, but as a teenager I refused to wear a bra at all until I was a D-cup, so. Stubbornness and comfort may have paid off.

Bras are the devil, and only to be worn to minimize wobbling in public. Or for sports. Ye gods, strap those down if there's any running involved. OW.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 04:17:48 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

... and I'm currently bra-less because I'm at home. They droop about an inch more than they do in a bra (yes, I just checked in the mirror, and then cackled at myself), and I'm in my mid-30s and have nursed 2 kids. I read something about how not wearing bras strengthens the muscles that support them, which in turn means less need of wearing bras... no idea if that's accurate, but as a teenager I refused to wear a bra at all until I was a D-cup, so. Stubbornness and comfort may have paid off.

Bras are the devil, and only to be worn to minimize wobbling in public. Or for sports. Ye gods, strap those down if there's any running involved. OW.

Wow.

I used to be a G and I barely felt I could function without something holding them in place. They always felt in my way. At E they still do. I haven't had kids, but I have lost 70lbs, so similar effect on boobs.

I don't wear proper bras, just comfy, light support sports bras, but braless is just not going to fly for me. Back when I was 22, sure, but not now.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 06:29:29 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

Wow.

I used to be a G and I barely felt I could function without something holding them in place. They always felt in my way. At E they still do. I haven't had kids, but I have lost 70lbs, so similar effect on boobs.

I don't wear proper bras, just comfy, light support sports bras, but braless is just not going to fly for me. Back when I was 22, sure, but not now.

I feel like based on this I should do a boob-celebration dance. Probably involving pasties of some sort. Which, thanks to a well-spend youth, I DO know how to twirl.

CoverMajere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 07:14:13 AM »
Everything what we are buying - we buy at the amazon.com

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

A D cup with no bra is all fun and games until you get an underboob yeast infection.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

A D cup with no bra is all fun and games until you get an underboob yeast infection.

... That's only if they sag enough to not dry out underneath? Though it seems like sweaty bras would be equally problematic?

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

... That's only if they sag enough to not dry out underneath? Though it seems like sweaty bras would be equally problematic?

IME (as a D cup, not super saggy), proper support, as in a well-fitted underwire bra, takes care of the sweat issue. Also having enough of them to be able to change as needed. I have a big collection of Olga Luxury Lift underwire bras (all bought on sale for $15-20 each). Haven’t had a problem since I set this up.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »

How is a 34D small???

Are you a teenager?

IME (as a D cup, not super saggy), proper support, as in a well-fitted underwire bra, takes care of the sweat issue. Also having enough of them to be able to change as needed. I have a big collection of Olga Luxury Lift underwire bras (all bought on sale for $15-20 each). Haven’t had a problem since I set this up.

Huh. I've never had a problem wiht that at all, and I'm including when I got thrush from nursing (which, FYI, I highly recommend diagnosing and treating as quickly as possible, since it feels like grinding ground glass into them...)

I swear by the Maidenform - a lot of the European brands have underwire that comes up a bit farther, and that seems to poke into me uncomfortably. Maidenform is affordable with comfortable underwire, which I swore was an impossibility.

And, though that wasn't asked originally, Lands End has AMAZING swimsuits for bigger busts, and on sale they're expensive (though not bonkers) and last me a good 4-5 years of summer lake use and winter pool use, assuming I rinse them out after going in chlorine)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »
Thanks for the swimsuit tip, I will have to check that out. I can never find any that fit and usually end up with a pair of shorts and a sports bra for the top. Otherwise in order to fit the top I need a size 18 or larger, but then the band size is way too big.

kandj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
Enjoying the recommendations here while giggling at some of the bra talk. For the ladies up there who mentioned wanting a sports bra like regular bra, have you tried a bra without underwire? And I'm not talking about a bralette without any sort of lining. That's all I'll wear now (if not working out or at home where I can go without). I buy them at gap and they've lasted a few years already.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
UNIQLO is a Japanese brand that has some really excellent basics!  Their stuff is middle-of-the-road priced, but they also have some great deals and sales and i really like the quality of everything I've bought from there.  Their fitted t-shirts in particular are wonderful!  [For example: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-supima-cotton-v-neck-short-sleeve-t-shirt-413701.html?dwvar_413701_color=COL66&cgid=women-t-shirts-and-tops#start=7&cgid=women-t-shirts-and-tops  Sometimes these go on sale, and I've got them from $5-7 dollars.]

For underwear, Costco used to carry a brand called "French Laundry" and the underwear I'd buy from there would last me years and years-- and I loved it enough to go hunting down the original brand years later now that Costco no longer carries it.  The value underwear that they sell now-- I think the brand is Felina?-- has barely lasted me a year before losing shape and the elastic beginning to fray.  I'm not particularly hard on my clothing, so it was pretty disappointing.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
For petite fitted t-shirts, I like Talbot's, especially on sale or from an outlet store.
Underwear - Jockey (outlet stores)
Bras - Coobies

HappyCheerE

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
For bras, I highly recommend Decent Exposures. Not cheap but a wonderful company (no sweatshop labor), the bras are super-comfortable, custom-fit to every size, any color you want, and they last and last. I'm a 31D and always had a terrible time finding bras that fit. I'll never go back to underwires! For underwear, I get multi-packs of Hanes or Fruit of the Loom.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 12:49:48 PM »
Uniqlo’s supima shirts are great. The Uniqlo U shirts are lovely, but too tailored for me.

Calvin Klein makes a very minimal thong, though I recently switched to Chantelle underwear. I really like them and super comfy, especially the high waisted thong.

bras: Panache makes my favorite (32 F). For exercise I wear a Title 9,  non underwire bra that is super supportive (34DD).

NowClear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 07:50:30 PM »
I also have a short torso and have resigned myself to tailoring t-shirts.

For underwear, I can't recommend the Natori bliss line enough. These are high quality and long-lasting. I personally like the girl brief style the best (like a hipster), but they have multiple cuts to suit your fancy. I like the thongs as well.

For bras--most won't last a decade unless you don't need much support. Elastic just doesn't last forever, and the bands will inevitably stretch out. This is why bras have multiple clasps, the idea being that you move into the tighter clasps over the life time of your bra as it stretches out. My best recommendation here is to get properly sized, either by using one of the online calculators, at a place like Nordstrom or a small boutique.

The proper size might surprise you! In general, we think cup sizes are much larger than they are, as cup sizes vary greatly with band size. I'd been wearing a 36B and actually got sized into a 32DD. After some weight gain, I'm now wearing a 32G but they still don't resemble what I've been taught to think of as G cups! Maybe now they look more like what I thought of as D cups.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!