Author Topic: Ladies - how do you save $ on hair removal?  (Read 15547 times)

Canadian Nicole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ladies - how do you save $ on hair removal?
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
It seems like a lot of women spend a fortune on professional waxing, laser hair removal etc.   Ladies, what are your frugal hair removal habits?   

marblejane

• Bristles
Re: Ladies - how do you save $ on hair removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
I bought the Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit on Amazon ($33) and use it to do my own bikini line, brow & lip. Dorco razors for underarms and legs. (I did try waxing my own underarms...ouch!)

studentdoc2

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
There's always the option to just not remove hair. Seems most people here agree that we don't need to buy into consumerist culture and have the last SUV/smartphone/designer shoes  just because society says we should. So why buy into a culture that says that a woman's body hair is wrong or gross or unhygienic or unattractice? I mean, the whole concept of women's hair removal was started by razor companies looking for a new market. Isn't it a little strange that we think this perfectly normal mammalian attribute is something of which we need to rid ourselves at costs both economic and physical painful/irritating?

Just something to think about :). Definitely the cheapest route out there!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
I had laser hair removal on my legs and underarms about five years ago, and shave off what little still grows maybe once every month or two.

I only grow super-light (invisible) hair now and I wouldn't bother shaving at all except:

1. I wear tights and pantyhose regularly for work and find them uncomfortable with leg hair
2. I find I sweat/stink more if I have any underarm hair

falcondisruptor

• Stubble
    • Simple Cheap Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
I'd love to get laser hair removal!

As it is, I have an electric razor and an epilator. 

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:54:47 PM »
I bought organic sugar wax on eBay and use that on arms and other random patches and I use Nair on bikini line. Much cheaper than a salon.

Mrs. J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
I buy razor cartridges in bulk from Costco. I don't use shaving cream, just water. I dry the razor immediately after the shower and store it on the vanity. This keeps the blade sharp and I'm able make a single cartridge last 3+ months (before starting this habit, I was changing them weekly). A Costco sized pack of cartridges lasts me well over a year.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I shave but rarely. Barely at all in winter and in summer only when I'm wearing shorts, a very short sleeved or strap top or swimming. I'm lazy and don't care to buy into the women-must-be-hair-free thing. Some will call me gross but I'm clean and happy so hey ho.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
Epilator- a good one costs about $60 and then the only cost after that is the small amount of electricity it takes to run it. I bought mine last year, so I can't vouch for how long they last, but all of my internet research indicated 5+ years. The best part is they damage your hair follicles over time, just like waxing, so eventually your leg hair grows back thinner.

Outside of the high up front cost, there are a couple of downsides. The first time you use an epilator, it will be painful, but eventually the pain fades. An epilator doesn't seem practical for bikini lines, or maybe I am just way too scared to try.

+1 on the epilator.  I think I've had mine for about 10 years now, and it still runs fine. 

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
I have been waxing for 12 years now and am much less hairy than I used to be, so I don't go any more unless I am going swimming (once every few months).

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
I shave but rarely. Barely at all in winter and in summer only when I'm wearing shorts, a very short sleeved or strap top or swimming. I'm lazy and don't care to buy into the women-must-be-hair-free thing. Some will call me gross but I'm clean and happy so hey ho.

I don't think hairless women enjoy being called ho's.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
Pack of pink razors from the dollar store lasts me a year or so, which is good enough for me. I don't shave a lot -- legs are superfine nearly blonde (probably gray, but I try not to look that closely), plus I don't wear skirts unless someone has died. I do shave armpits more because that really seems to help reduce the hot flashes, and I'm in favor of anything that does that. I shave with the soap I wash with (Dr. Bronners, diluted, usually, but sometimes Ivory) and stick the razor on a shower hanging rack to dry when I'm not using it.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
None of the hair removal creams I've found had any decent reviews. Stop Grow (mentioned above) has extremely poor reviews on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/Stop-Grow-Hair-Growth-Inhibitor/dp/B009LVQNH8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426682197&sr=1-1&keywords=stop+grow+hair+growth+inhibitor

I hate shaving, and am trying this homemade sugar wax recipe: http://www.greenprophet.com/2013/01/diy-natural-sugar-wax/

Ingredients:

Sugar, white or brown (1 cup)

Water (2 Tbsp)

Lemon juice (1.5 Tbsp)

Salt, optional (1 tsp)

My first attempt was not very successful (consistency wasn't quite right...likely needed to work it more) but will give it another shot. The video demonstration was really helpful!

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
^^^ I think that is spam, 2 posts above... mods?

I've always been curious about sugar waxing. Thanks for the recipe.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:13 AM »
DH has asked me to keep my near-monthly waxing appointment in the budget no matter what other expenses we have to cut.  :)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
I've heard that razors, cheap disposables included, can last for a very long time if you clean and dry the blades off after each use and store in a dry place.

I don't really need to shave much-
The hair on my legs is really fine, so I shave that for fun maybe once a year.

Bikini line has always been pretty self contained- I don't do anything here and can wear a fairly skimpy bikini without issues.  Lucky genes, I guess.

Pits- this is what I shave the most, which is like, 4 times a year, maybe.  I don't care much about it, but my DH likes this cleaned up periodically, and I can oblige because <insert any number of things that he does mainly for me here...>.

I have been using the same freebie razor for about 5 years now, and I have another free pack of 4 disposables in the closet waiting.  I occasionally find coupons for them.  I am not really a couponer, so maybe I could have more if I went looking for them.  The last one came to me as a standalone postcard in the mail with a coupon on it, direct from the manufacturer.  I think the one before that was a find on fatwallet.com's free stuff forum.  So that's like 20 years of hair removal.  I don't actually follow the advice above and the razor sits in the shower wet all the time.  But I also only shower twice weekly at the most, and sometimes, if I'm on top of exercising, one or both times will be at the gym.  So they are more often than not in a dry environment.

Laser removal is so expensive and many outfits now are admitting it is only semi permanent.  If I had more hair/more noticeable hair, I'd go with the epilator.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
Blah, I'm kinda? hairy and I've been wresting with my desire to just let it do its thing.  I generally only shave below the knee, armpits, and bikini line.  I've stopped shaving my lower legs as often as I used to and a few years ago I totally stopped shaving the thighs.

I guess I'm not actually sure exactly how hairy I am compared to other women.  I feel like its odd (for me personally) that I don't actually know how hairy my armpits would get if left alone.  I left them for a short while once and they did not seem gross to me at all, and definitely not like men's hairy armpits.  I'm also starting to think its not worth it to shave my legs because the hair just grows back so quickly that I'm stubbly in a day (and man does that stubble feel rough haha).  I actually like how my legs feel with hair, and I'd totally ditch the leg shaving completely except my hair is so dark that any leg hair would be totally noticeable to others.  I guess I'm not ready to be publicly hairy.

Oh and last thing, I absolutely don't think its more hygienic to have less hair.

P.S. to actually answer the OP's question, to save money I just shave less and use razors.  I've also thought about ditching the disposables and getting a fancier razor which means I'd only have to replace blades every so often.

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
Maybe some of you ladies can help me.  I HATE shaving.  I have very sensitive skin and every time, no matter what type of razor I use, I get horrible painful razor rash after.  My hair is fairly thick, dark, and course and grows back quickly.  I have tried an electric razor (don't remember the brand) but it took nearly an hour to get all the hair off using it.  I tried waxing, but the lady stopped half way through one leg because I was getting red welts on my legs.  I recently went on a no shave spree and it was awesome except that my hair was comparable to my husbands after a few weeks and neither he nor I really liked it.  I am thinking I just need to buck up and do the laser removal thing...

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 09:25:35 AM »
I shave my armpits year-round, which takes like 10 seconds with a cheap razor (and I only go through one or two packets of razors a year, max).  I had laser hair removal on my lower legs (have never shaved my thighs) and armpits over a decade ago.  For some reason my armpit hair came back, but the legs are permanently very sparse now.  I don't shave my legs at all during the spring/fall/winter (unless I have an appointment with my ob-gyn, haha), and only a couple of times a month during June-August.  So really, I spend minimal time on this whole deal, which is nice.  Razor cost is maybe $10 a year?

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
I've stopped shaving completely.  I tried it once as an experiment nearly two years ago, and after a while I stopped feeling self-conscious about it and now I don't care at all. 

Leg hair is kind of nice, actually.  There's no greater pleasure than feeling the summer wind blow softly on your legs.  I didn't realize before how desensitizing shaving can be.  I can actually tell the difference now between a blade of grass brushing up against me or a bug crawling on me, without even looking. 

I don't have anything against people who decide to remove body hair, but I will say - if you haven't tried living with body hair in years, maybe just see what it's like?  It might not be as bad as you think.

lise

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
I've stopped shaving completely.  I tried it once as an experiment nearly two years ago, and after a while I stopped feeling self-conscious about it and now I don't care at all. 

Leg hair is kind of nice, actually.  There's no greater pleasure than feeling the summer wind blow softly on your legs.  I didn't realize before how desensitizing shaving can be.  I can actually tell the difference now between a blade of grass brushing up against me or a bug crawling on me, without even looking. 

I don't have anything against people who decide to remove body hair, but I will say - if you haven't tried living with body hair in years, maybe just see what it's like?  It might not be as bad as you think.

Interesting.  Yeah, hair on my leg does not bother me (visible to public) yet hairy armpits bother me (usually not visible to public).  I feel all sweaty and uncomfortable and get itchy (opposite to friends who say they are itchy sometimes after shaving).  Weird ...

I do shave my legs in summer though as a social norm I guess.  In winter when I wear trousers every day, so I let them go, I'm not that hairy anyway.

I buy razor refill heads in bulk - costco.  Lasts me a year or so. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dorco razors yet! I'm a big fan. They're much cheaper than Gillette and at least as good. I like the men's razors better than the ladies' though. I have tried various kinds of wax and epilation and stuff over the years but I always get horrible bumps so I just shave as necessary.

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
Schick Intuition razor has been fantastic for me. It comes with built in shaving "cream" (more like a soap bar) and is great for legs and bikini. $14CAD for 3 razors, so not cheap, but cheaper than salon hair removal. Probably go through 3 every 1.5 to 2 months, and that's with pit, full-leg (thigh too) and full bikini shaving at least once every other say (and often every day.)

Then I use nair for arm hair and any other hair that pops up (on my stomach, for example.) My $6 bottle has lasted me well over a year.

I HATE body hair with a passion, not even for esthetics but I can't tolerate the feel of it. Everything lower than my eyelashes must go!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
I can't deal w/ plucking my eyebrows - so I get them threaded every 6 weeks or so. Waxing has ripped my skin, so I never do that.

Shave the pits and legs and bikini bits w/ a razor. I prefer a "mens" razor w/ 3 blades. (My BF has a super heavy beard and he likes a particular razor and I find them to work well). I hardly have any hair on my legs so I let those go for 3/4 of the year and only bother when I am wearing shorts on the regular. I use baby oil in the shower to lubricate my skin when I shave.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »
I'm not a great shaver. That's how I save money. I use cheap razors to shave my arm pits every 3-4 days and my legs every week in the summer, every month in the winter. My bikini line/other areas get trimmed and shaved when I go swimming. I could do without everything but the arm pits. I really can't stand to have hairy armpits. They itch and then I smell.

But I'm with everyone who talked about bucking trends. I do not wax my eyebrows AT ALL. I hate it. I'm just waiting for thick brows to come back into fashion and content myself with the thought that I will have nicer eyebrows when I am older. I've heard many older women say they regret overtweezing their brows, since now they don't have any and have to pencil them in.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:22 PM »
I just don't shave. I don't see the point. I think I last shaved my legs in 2007 and I never did it regularly. I trim my underarms and pubes.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
Epilator- a good one costs about $60 and then the only cost after that is the small amount of electricity it takes to run it. I bought mine last year, so I can't vouch for how long they last, but all of my internet research indicated 5+ years. The best part is they damage your hair follicles over time, just like waxing, so eventually your leg hair grows back thinner.

Outside of the high up front cost, there are a couple of downsides. The first time you use an epilator, it will be painful, but eventually the pain fades. An epilator doesn't seem practical for bikini lines, or maybe I am just way too scared to try.

+1 on the epilator.  I think I've had mine for about 10 years now, and it still runs fine.

Any brand/model recommendations?

jennyh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »
How much does laser hair removal for the bikini area typically cost?

I shave my legs and pits, but get terrible razorburn and ingrown hair when I shave my bikini area.  Plus, since I have pale skin and dark, coarse hair down there it doesn't even look good after I shave.  A lot of the time I go au naturel with it.  But I admit that I feel much more attractive when I can wear a bathing suit and cute underwear confidently.  A few times a year I pay for a wax ($35), and the rest of the time I either let it grow or wax it myself.  The Sally Hansen wax-at-home kits (where the wax comes in a microwaveable container you can nuke again and again) actually work really well, and cost maybe $8?  You can definitely get several waxes from one kit.  I don't enjoy doing it myself though, hence being willing to pay to get it done well and not have to play contortionist for half an hour:) 

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Any brand/model recommendations?

I have a Braun Silk-épil 7 Wet & Dry cordless and it does a great job.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »
How much does laser hair removal for the bikini area typically cost?

Check with Groupon/Living Social/Amazon Local. There are always tons of discounted laser hair removal offers in my area.

Most places typically charge depending on the size of the area. I looked into having my underarms done and the discounted price was $99. Underarms were considered a 'small' area. I believe bikini area was 'medium' which ran $199 (I think?). I don't remember how much the 'large' areas cost, but that included backs and legs. I might look into it again. You sound like a good candidate too - pale skin and dark hair works best.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Anybody have scarring after lasering? I have some annoying hairs on my chin and neck that one day I would like to get done, but I have read horror stories online about scarring from a bad technician.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
I had laser removal on underarms, forearms, bikini, lower legs, chin, upper lip.  The underarms worked great.  My hair there was super thick and coarse.  Many pores had two or three hairs growing out of a single spot, so even after I just shaved, it looked as if I needed to again.  It's been 10 years, and some hair has grown back, but it's soft, sparse, and light colored. 

After my underarms, the laser place changed from laser to Intense Light Pulse, which isn't nearly as effective on me.  I see some results, but not great.  Basically just enough to make me look human rather than like an ape. 

Scarring -- the only problem I had was on my arms.  When you go for a treatment, the technician outlines sections of your skin with a white pencil.  Before one of my sessions, I wanted to make sure that the technician got the WHOLE area, so I outlined it myself with a metallic gel pen.  I don't know what I was thinking.  She never touched the pen, but the heat and light pulses went through my skin and heated up the metallic ink that was inches away.   The result was burns everywhere that I had inked.  It really just looked as if someone took a dull knife and scratched my skin (heavily).  It scabbed up pretty quickly and a few months later the scars went away.

I don't think I'd try anything on my face again.  In the past few years, the pigment in my skin has stopped healing quickly, so even the slightest blemish takes months to return to normal color (if ever).  So I'm getting blotchy and dark pigment from tiny abrasions.  I can't imagine what would happen if I lasered now with my skin not recovering like it did 10 years ago.

One thing to point out.  If you're going to do this, do it while your skin is youthful and it repairs itself.  Also do it before your hair turns gray.   

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »
I'm considering getting a bathing suit that doesn't require bikini line maintenance.  I'm not clear on why this isn't a common thing?  Why do bikinis have to be so high cut??  I realize that it's theoretically "slimming" but....come on now.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »
In the past few years, the pigment in my skin has stopped healing quickly, so even the slightest blemish takes months to return to normal color (if ever).  So I'm getting blotchy and dark pigment from tiny abrasions.  I can't imagine what would happen if I lasered now with my skin not recovering like it did 10 years ago.

I have rosacea, so I have been using an azelaic acid cream on my face, and it fades the blemishes really quickly, so my skin is bright and even-toned.  I actually get compliments on it all the time.  Maybe something like this would work nicely for you.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
I was thinking last night that you might not have had to limit this question to the ladies. My guess is that waxing and lasering are also very common among men.  Recently at the pool I have noticed that very few if any men have hair on their chests and/or backs. My husband appears to be the only hairy man in my community. And I don't live in a stylish community.

I personally like a hairy chest on a man. These days it's such an oddity in Hollywood that they point out when a man actually has hair. Perhaps I would have enjoyed the seventies and the Burt Reynolds era better. 

In general, hair doesn't offend me. But lest we think that this is just a modern phenomenon, I remember reading that Roman men were pretty hairless and had their hairs plucked one by one. Ouch!

This might be TMI, but since this is a ladies thread, what did you do when you were very pregnant? I like to have it well trimmed down there, but I couldn't see anything. The thought of going to get myself waxed when pregnant was not on the table, so I had my husband do it. It was, however, humiliating but less so than having nurses and doctors staring at me without doing some maintenance.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
In the past few years, the pigment in my skin has stopped healing quickly, so even the slightest blemish takes months to return to normal color (if ever).  So I'm getting blotchy and dark pigment from tiny abrasions.  I can't imagine what would happen if I lasered now with my skin not recovering like it did 10 years ago.

I have rosacea, so I have been using an azelaic acid cream on my face, and it fades the blemishes really quickly, so my skin is bright and even-toned.  I actually get compliments on it all the time.  Maybe something like this would work nicely for you.
Thank you jr hampt for the suggestion.  a quick googling tells me this is prescription, so I'll email my dermatologist to see if this is something I can get a scrip for. 

Quince

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »
Leave the hair on. Yay! Very inexpensive.

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
This post motivated me to try something new.   I got an epilator over the weekend, Braun Silk-épil 5.  It feels like what I imagine getting a tattoo feels like (I have never had a tattoo).  There is buzzing, burning, and pain, especially on the bony parts.  But the pain doesn't last long and I think I am going to like this little machine.  I did have some redness after, but my legs feel pretty great.  I hope it truly lasts as long as they say.  I have read that you should run it over your legs about once a week to get the hairs in all their different phases of growth.  And make sure to exfoliate.  Any of you other epilator users have any tips for successful use?

remaofaes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
I'm sneakin' into this thread (as I'm definitely not a "lady"), but just wanted to say that I kinda like a lady who is "natural". The war on body hair is over-fought!