Author Topic: Ladies - Bra Shopping  (Read 22568 times)

flamingo25

• Stubble
Ladies - Bra Shopping
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
Where do you buy your bras?

I am on the small side so I don't need a ton of support, but I do want something good quality.

Nordstrom has nice stuff but is on the pricey side.

Any advice?

nvmama

• Stubble
Re: Ladies - Bra Shopping
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »
I like Maidenform bras.  I'm not overly busty myself and have found them to be supportive for my needs and comfortable.  They can be purchased at stores, outlets, or online.  What I like best, is that once you have figured out what you like, their website tends to offer the best prices and have regular sales.  And you can always buy through a cash back site such as ebates, to get even a better savings.  I do not like to pay too much for my bras, but these have lasted me well, and I haven't been hand washing them, so if I did, they would probably last me longer.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
I used to buy bras from Title Nine, but I got tired of all the mail. Great quality though. I went to get my correct size. Not fun to get naked with a stranger, but I got my correct size, 34D. I have been wearing B-cup my whole life. Then I went to Macy's and asked for a bra with no wire and no padding. They had exactly two options out of hundreds of bras. I did buy one.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
I get mine wherever I can find them cheap.  I usually purchase through ebates, use a cash-back credit card, and buy multiples when they're on sale.  I machine wash 'em in a lingerie bag, rotate through the 7 I own, and only wash them when they can stand up on their own.

Sometimes it's Nordstrom, sometimes it's someone else, but I found that finding a good, comfortable fit and not having to show up at the mall are most important for me, so I sometimes pay a bit more.

For running bras, I look at what Title Nine offers/suggests, then shop around for a better deal, or wait for a sale.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
Costco maidenform 2 pack favorite tshirt bras - when they have their coupon....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 01:57:43 AM »
I don't think this thread is only for the ladies! Where do you think the jokes about men getting the wrong lingerie size presents for their partners come from.

If you ask me, its us guys that needs the advice, not the ladies.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »
It's really going to depend what type of bra you prefer, and your size, but I also struggled with wanting inexpensive options that would last a while. I used to get Victoria's Secret bras, but they stopped making my favorite one ('The Perfect One'--if it was so perfect, VS, why stop selling it!?!?), so I took a tip from one of my cousins and tried American Eagle's bra line, Aerie. Yes, they seem geared for young adults, but I've found them to hold up quite well (I hand wash my bras) and they come in nudes/white/black. http://www.aerie.com I prefer full coverage, no padding but at least a thick enough lining for their to be no show-through, so the Sofie is my favorite. Right now, it looks like a lot of their bras are $25 or $20 each if you buy two.

Also, if you aren't already aware of sister sizing when it comes to bras, prepare for your mind to be BLOWN...

http://www.brasize.com/bra-sister-size.html

I have purchased sister sizes when my regular size was out of stock, and it seriously worked. I actually found a size that fit slightly better, even though the cup volume was exactly the same. Don't let any men know about this, though. Just walk around saying you're a 30DD, and they'll be none the wiser that you're a 36B. ;)

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »
Patagonia has great bras. I have two that are for A/B size and they are similar to a sports bra in that they pull on, but are cut and look like a regular bra. No padding or wire. So comfortable you don't even think to take it off at the end of the day.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
I buy Victoria Secret but I wait for their biannual sales. I think there's usually one in the winter( january?) and then in the summer ( maybe june). Their basic cotton bras can be had for $15 and some of the fancier options are priced down to $35. Now that I've trained my husband to stop putting my bras in the dryer, they're lasting much longer.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
I'm on the larger side, so support is necessary.  VS bras...I was "fitted" and shoved into the largest (but incorrect for me) size they had and bought 2 bras that didn't last more than 6 months despite hand washing.  So, I finally went to a reputable place to be fitted properly. I have found that Wacoal brand works well for me, the bras last longer than 6 months and I am able to purchase on the website for discontinued styles.  I also check out my local SteinMart because they have Wacoal bras at discounted prices, too. Finding my size is more difficult, though.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »
I have a larger cup size, but a more average band size, which is not as common as others...

So I have a lot of luck tracking department store clearance sales - every now and then Dillards does a clearance sale on their clearance products, which means like 50% off of stuff that's already 50-75% off. I love a sale sale. I've been buying bras that way for a 3-4 years now, and never walk out with a bra more expensive than $10... I also usually buy as many as fit well, and never spend more than $50 over all. 3-4 bras last me all year.

Well, except one time, when I walked out with this pretty lacy black thing for $15 - originally $75. Aw yea.

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:38 AM »
I usually get Maidenform at Kohls.com when they have 30% off and free shipping.  I'm on the bustier side with a short torso, Maidenform works best. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
This is one of my pet peeves, wrong bra sizes.  I've done a lot of research on this.  (Not just online, IRL, too.)

Even smaller busts can use support.  Measure yourself,  a lot of smaller women wear a band too big and a cup too small because of the range of sizes that most stores carry.  Do not add any inches to your measurement, except to round (down is best, because bands stretch as you wear them) to the nearest even number.

I'd been wearing 32Bs all my life because that was the smallest band that stores carried, and I was spilling out of the As.  I measured myself and my ribcage is 26 inches.  Let's step down the ladder of sister sizes here... 32B, 30C, 28D, 26DD.  Tada, my real bra size is 26DD.  Nobody makes that, except some custom bra tailor in Poland, and that is too much trouble for me.  A sister size cup that is larger band will seem to fit, but really it won't provide the same amount of support that the correct size would.  I went to a specialty bra store and they concurred, but put me in a 28 band because nobody manufactures anything smaller.

A bra is supposed to be quite snug in the band on the loosest hook.  You move in on "tighter" hooks as the bra wears/ages and looses elasticity to maintain the same level of support.

To extend the life of my bras, after they are about 6 months old, I sew some non-stretch ribbon into the band.

Find your real size and then shop online. 

ragesinggoddess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »
I go to my local, wonderful bra store and buy one that suits my needs there. They usually mark even the cheap ones up to about $40. Then I buy multiples of the same bra on Amazon. That way I'm supporting a local business and getting something that fits and also not breaking the bank.

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:23 AM »

Sizing is not consistent across bra brands.  It's kind of frustrating.  I have to narrow it down to brand, style number and size. 

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:57:15 AM »
This is one of my pet peeves, wrong bra sizes.  I've done a lot of research on this.  (Not just online, IRL, too.)

Even smaller busts can use support.  Measure yourself,  a lot of smaller women wear a band too big and a cup too small because of the range of sizes that most stores carry.  Do not add any inches to your measurement, except to round (down is best, because bands stretch as you wear them) to the nearest even number.

I'd been wearing 32Bs all my life because that was the smallest band that stores carried, and I was spilling out of the As.  I measured myself and my ribcage is 26 inches.  Let's step down the ladder of sister sizes here... 32B, 30C, 28D, 26DD.  Tada, my real bra size is 26DD.  Nobody makes that, except some custom bra tailor in Poland, and that is too much trouble for me.  A sister size cup that is larger band will seem to fit, but really it won't provide the same amount of support that the correct size would.  I went to a specialty bra store and they concurred, but put me in a 28 band because nobody manufactures anything smaller.

A bra is supposed to be quite snug in the band on the loosest hook.  You move in on "tighter" hooks as the bra wears/ages and looses elasticity to maintain the same level of support.

To extend the life of my bras, after they are about 6 months old, I sew some non-stretch ribbon into the band.

I completely agree. I was recently measured at Nordstrom. I am a 32C even though I had been wearing a 30A (ouch!). I did buy one bra b/c the sales lady was very helpful and gave me a lot of her time but it was expensive and I didn't want to drop $400 for a few bras.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
I dream of finding a sports-like bra I can wear under my work clothes, with no one the wiser, but no luck so far.  Right now I wear a sports bra for my commute and then change at work into a normal bra -- it'd be nice to wear just one bra for the 9 months of the year my commute doesn't make me really sweaty.  I'm a C/D though, so not sure if this exists for larger ladies.

For regular bras, I order Warner's off Amazon.  They don't show (much) under clothes which is my biggest pet peeve with bras.  After only a few months though, the cups have some sag to them in the corners (like near the armpit), although they're still invisible under clothes, I guess it's fine. 

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
The Gap.

I'm smallish too and I detest underwire.  These days the Gap has a surprisingly high quality selection of bras that fit me fine.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Appreciate the tip on sister size and The Gap.

Also detest underwire, and am on the smallish side. Selection at local stores is generally atrocious. My current batch came from Ross, when I got lucky and found a bunch of wirefree, lightly padded Maidenforms for cheap. I took all in my size that I could find. :P Price wise, getting it from Ross is great (< $10/per). Selection wise, you have to be lucky, have a fairly common size, not too picky, or combination of those three. Failing that, I generally go to their website, or JCP on sales and get them for around 15-20/per.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

Sizing is not consistent across bra brands.  It's kind of frustrating.  I have to narrow it down to brand, style number and size.

This is true.  If you look online, you can get a lot more information on which brands fit different sizes/shapes best.  Like, 2 ladies could have the same cup volume, but one could have breast tissue pretty evenly distributed, and the other might have a more bottom heavy breast...  Most online retailers recognize these disparities and have a reasonable return policy, so you can try a variety at home and send the ones that don't work back.  And bras are light, they don't cost much to ship, it might be less than gas, depending on how close your "real" bra store (and I don't mean VS, those are junk, IMO) is.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
Nordstrom Rack has been my lifesaver as a petite person.  They carry both the Nordstrom brands and some that are straight to The Rack.  They have a decent selection of small band sizes down to about 30 DD and carry a more limited selection even smaller than that.

I try to go a few times a year since they don't always carry the same stuff and pull a bunch of different ones in my size and the surrounding sizes.  I've found that fit varies A TON by brand and style, even at the high end, so I try to stay open minded.  I set aside about two hours and try on as many as I can to find the right ones and then buy several of the same style if available.

Average cost ~$30 each, lowest ever: $18, highest ever: $45.  I spend about $100 a year on bras.

I definitely recommend measuring yourself regularly and trying on neighboring sizes.  My golden rule is that a bra that is uncomfortable in the dressing room will be unbearable at work.

Edit to add that if you are in the Seattle Metro Area, most Nordy's have a Rack nearby.  I like to hit up different ones because their selection changes, but the one at Northgate has a pretty big lingerie section and easy parking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:28:09 AM by ChransStache »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
Also, if you aren't already aware of sister sizing when it comes to bras, prepare for your mind to be BLOWN...

http://www.brasize.com/bra-sister-size.html

I have purchased sister sizes when my regular size was out of stock, and it seriously worked. I actually found a size that fit slightly better, even though the cup volume was exactly the same. Don't let any men know about this, though. Just walk around saying you're a 30DD, and they'll be none the wiser that you're a 36B. ;)

Be aware that the support is not the same.  80% of the support should come from the band, and if you are going up a band size to find a cup size that "fits" you won't have the same support.

As a 28F/G if I walk around in a 32D I might as well not be wearing a bra ;-)  Even a 30E/F doesn't give enough support.  Proceed with caution on this one unless you don't have as much to worry about in terms of support, or you can't find anything that fits in your price range.  Bras should fit correctly!!

As for me, I have to go to the specialty boutique stores to try things on, but I can occasionally find sales through the manufacturers or another site (after I try on in store - inconsistent sizing even within brands makes online shopping erratic).

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
I buy on Zappos for about 35-45 per bra.  I'll get 4 or 5 a year, wearing them until the bands stretch out too much.

I used to buy the sister size since it was one of the easiest sizes to find in the stores.  Last year I converted to going online so I could get my real size.  Zappos has free returns, so I'll get a bunch and keep only the ones that fit the best.  It also gives me the option of checking back for the exact same style the next time I shop.  Even within the same brand the fit varies.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
I have Lily of France bras from Kohl's and they're seriously 10 years old. I'm embarrassed at how long I've been wearing them. They're still comfortable though and I'm very small, so, there's not a lot of "support" going on. I haven't gotten new bras because I hate shopping (both the experience and the expense) and I don't know what to buy. Boo.

I was thinking about ordering some from Amazon, but I'm afraid they'll be uncomfortable (comfort being my #1 requirement for a bra). Does anyone have experience with buying  bras from Amazon and returning them?

I'm glad to hear that people like the Costco bras--I'll have to check those out.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
This may seem like an odd suggestion, but since this is the mustachian forums I have to throw it out there: could you just go bra-less?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
TJMaxx or Marshalls, either Maidenform or Calvin Klein brand.  Also like The Gap.  I refuse to spend more than $20 on a bra (I have a couple of go-to styles and look for sales and clearances - typically I spend less than $15).  I got measured at VS to make sure that I was wearing the correct size (I was). 

Make sure to use a mesh bag to launder them and do not put them in the dryer.  They last a lot longer that way.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
I'm a larger size and have been making my own bras for a few years now. But they have been giving me trouble for a while, the wire causing serious pain and some actual welts in my skin. I didn't feel up to trying on bras in a store, at least until my skin healed. In desperation, I bought a package of these -- 2 for $14.99 at the drugstore, cheaper at the company website:

https://www.geniebra.com/?bras&classic

I've been wearing them for a couple of weeks now, and they are so amazingly comfortable and supportive that I ordered some more. Not as good as a really constructed bra with wires, and no "lift and separate" action, but good enough. For a smaller cup size, they would probably be fully functional. They come with removable pads that give them the look of a foam cup but in a natural shape. The sizing seems to be fairly accurate. I don't think anyone will be able to tell you're wearing one of these vs. a regular bra, and the price is certainly right.

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 11:44:50 AM »
Be warned - VS does NOT measure you correctly.  They will "measure" and then approximate to the closest size THAT THEY CARRY.

I have found Nordstrom to have the best fitters.  The specialty bra stores are also good, but they are farther from me than Nordies.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
Patagonia has great bras. I have two that are for A/B size and they are similar to a sports bra in that they pull on, but are cut and look like a regular bra. No padding or wire. So comfortable you don't even think to take it off at the end of the day.

Is there a particular style or model name that you like? (so I can google it). I'm small and right now I wear sport bras from JC Penney (2 for $18, I think), but they feel a little too much like Ace bandages around my torso.

This is a great thread!

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
I like to buy mine either at a nice department store or on-line, and I don't mind spending the extra money for better quality.  And I refuse to buy them at stores where they also sell motor oil and car parts (like W*lmart). :)

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »
The Gap.

I'm smallish too and I detest underwire.  These days the Gap has a surprisingly high quality selection of bras that fit me fine.

This! I really like The Gap wireless bras.

lemonlime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
"This may seem like an odd suggestion, but since this is the mustachian forums I have to throw it out there: could you just go bra-less?"

This is a matter of personal comfort. When I had smaller breasts, and was younger and not in a professional setting, I would frequently go braless. But I was certainly much more attention seeking at 21 than at 31. Now that I am older, have larger breasts, and work full time in a professional setting, I would not go braless in most public settings. At work, I don't want people in my office distracted by my boobs, and they move independently, and when they are larger, there is a lot of noticeable movement. So in that setting it is a question of people taking you seriously and not being the one at the office with visible nips or getting a rep as the free-boobing lady. Out and about in everyday life, it's not really fun being stared at by strangers. Straight men tend to stare without noticing it, and some don't care if they are noticed and are practically predatory, and some are actually predatory. I'm not saying that this behavior from some men is ok, and it would be great if we lived in a different world, but the fact is it is uncomfortable and at times downright creepy to be stared at. These are only the social/emotional comfort issues. Frankly, now and again I say f-it and put on a sweater or something heavy/baggy and go out to whereever without a bra. For active movement, it is actually physically painful to run/jump without a bra.
I have two nude (the color i find the most widely adaptive to all colors of shirts) bras that I like, I care for, and I wear them until they are dead. From a mustachian perspective, I think you can minimize the bras that you need, but for many of us they can't be eliminated without various, real discomforts.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
I'm partial to Natori brand bras. Simple, classic designs and the fit is great on me as a 32E. I found one of their 'sport' bras which I've used as both a full on sports bra, and a normal everyday bra. It looks like a standard bra, but with slightly wider straps and full coverage (and maybe more spandex?) I used to buy Natori bras at Nordstroms, but then I started finding the occasional one at TJ Maxx for one third of the price. Hallelujah!

I dream of finding a sports-like bra I can wear under my work clothes, with no one the wiser, but no luck so far.  Right now I wear a sports bra for my commute and then change at work into a normal bra -- it'd be nice to wear just one bra for the 9 months of the year my commute doesn't make me really sweaty.  I'm a C/D though, so not sure if this exists for larger ladies.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
As a contortionist(-in-training), I don't wear bras because they ruin your back flexibility (and because they're all super super uncomfortable. All of them. And yes, I've read a zillion articles on proper bra sizing and I can't even stand the confinement of a tight sports bra. I have one stretchy sports bra and one Barely There bra with a "custom flex" fit or whatever, which isn't horrible for short periods of time.)  I like to move and be a fluid human person and I absolutely hate being confined.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »

At work, I don't want people in my office distracted by my boobs, and they move independently, and when they are larger, there is a lot of noticeable movement. So in that setting it is a question of people taking you seriously and not being the one at the office with visible nips or getting a rep as the free-boobing lady. Out and about in everyday life, it's not really fun being stared at by strangers.

This. It's perfectly natural for straight men to look, there's nothing wrong with it, but I am not comfortable with that kind of attention when I'm buying groceries or pumping gas or whatever.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »

+1 I'm always amazed when people say they are one size, regardless of brand or style. I can go up or down band size by one size, or up or down 2 cup sizes depending on brand and style (just in the one shop!). The fit and comfort varies a lot too. So now I just buy one type of Berlei bra and only that one. I'm screwed if they stop making that particular one.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
ExOfficio crossover bras are super comfortable.  They also have the added advantage of drying in 1/2 hour, tops.  :)

MsWillow

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
I like to get fitted at Nordstroms, as they will try several brands and styles to see what you prefer. You can then check the clearance rack or Nordstom's Rack once you get the brand and style number.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
I just went to Nordstrom and got measured and bought one bra, then looked on eBay for the same style and size and bought more.  My favorite brand by far is Chantelle-they make great bras and are all over eBay. 

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
I went to Soma recently & I'm really happy with the fit of the bra I ended up with, but not the price. I've also heard good things about Nordstrom's "store brand", so I think I'm going to stalk their website for good deals next time I need one.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
Be warned - VS does NOT measure you correctly.  They will "measure" and then approximate to the closest size THAT THEY CARRY.

Yes this is unfortunately true. I used to work at VS. They did not carry the size I wore at the time (30b). I always measured at a 30b but they would try and put me in 32As. SO uncomfortable and the bras weren't even that nice. To each their own, but I only go there for free panties now.

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »
Got a fitting, bought 1, and then several more on eBay. I lost weight this summer and went down a few sizes (to a D cup) -- had great luck at kohls.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »

Yes this is unfortunately true. I used to work at VS. They did not carry the size I wore at the time (30b). I always measured at a 30b but they would try and put me in 32As. SO uncomfortable and the bras weren't even that nice. To each their own, but I only go there for free panties now.

Sadly they now require a purchase to get the free panties.

So this conversation is making me realize that I really do need to get rid of the bra I'm currently wearing, which may once have fit, but definitely no longer does (but because it isn't worn out I keep thinking I should keep).

I wear VS.  Buy them on sale or with a coupon etc.  Expensive, but worth it to me.  A lot aren't matching (see free panties, above), but I've actually decided it quite pleases me to have a matching sets, so I've gotten some extras for that (and I'm starting to need to more now that the free ones aren't as available).  Just recently spent $131 for 3 sets, which will keep me for quite a while.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »

[/quote]

Sadly they now require a purchase to get the free panties.

[/quote]

Really? I was just there yesterday and got free panties. 5 minutes in and out and didn't spend a dime.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »

Also detest underwire, and am on the smallish side. Selection at local stores is generally atrocious. My current batch came from Ross, when I got lucky and found a bunch of wirefree, lightly padded Maidenforms for cheap. I took all in my size that I could find. :P Price wise, getting it from Ross is great (< $10/per). Selection wise, you have to be lucky, have a fairly common size, not too picky, or combination of those three. Failing that, I generally go to their website, or JCP on sales and get them for around 15-20/per.
I'm surprised for a bunch of Mustachians to hear Nordstroms, Victoria Secret, etc come up! Even semi-annual sale is pricier and less comfortable than the cheaper brands I've found. I'm with Sylly - Ross and Marshalls always has a wide variety (with multiple wire-free options) for under $15/each. I like Warner's wire-free, which I've seen the same ones at Macys for triple the cost. I'm also a big fan of K-mart- the Joe Boxer line has a lot of wireless options (and great for sports bras for small figures - they don't make you look flat)

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »

I'm surprised for a bunch of Mustachians to hear Nordstroms, Victoria Secret, etc come up! Even semi-annual sale is pricier and less comfortable than the cheaper brands I've found. I'm with Sylly - Ross and Marshalls always has a wide variety (with multiple wire-free options) for under $15/each. I like Warner's wire-free, which I've seen the same ones at Macys for triple the cost. I'm also a big fan of K-mart- the Joe Boxer line has a lot of wireless options (and great for sports bras for small figures - they don't make you look flat)

I guess it depends on your body type.  I've never even seen bras in my sizes except at places like Nordstrom or boutique stores.  In fact, I didn't even know my size existed at all until I was fitted for it.  I like Nordstrom Rack because it's the exact same merchandise for WAY cheaper, but unfortunately they are not everywhere across the country.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »

I assumed I could go without saying to go when the Gap is having one of their 40% off sales or off the discount rack for $10-$20 each.  I wouldn't buy them full-price.  Of course, in effect, their 'sales price' is their full price as they're always having sales it seems. 

Thanks for the Joe Boxer tip - I'll give them a go. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:31 AM »

Nordstrom does this too!  Tried to put me in a 30DD (it was the highest cup size with the smallest band they carried) when I was a 28F - I was spilling out and there was no support.  Hence the boutique stores which actually carry 28D+ bras.  I wish I could shop at Marshalls and Ross and such, but there's literally four brands of bras (Panache, Freya, Curvy Kate, and Bravissimo) sold in the US for my size. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 04:36:26 AM »

Try the Pahache Ultimate Sport's Bra.  I play a high impact sport (lots of jumping and running) and it's the only sports bra I've found that actually does its job!  I bring it up because that's what I wear to bike commute and if I happen to forget my regular bra, it has enough shape that no one is the wiser.

Natcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 05:46:05 AM »

I feel your pain! I had been wearing the wrong bra size my whole adult life and was consistently uncomfortable. It got to the point I stopped wearing a bra (a big no no for my size). But on a trip state side I was properly fitted at a Macy's and tried on 20 or so different bras. The only one that fit comfortably was a simon perele 30F at over $100 I nearly cried to spend the money. I still purchase the same bra which is very unmustashian, but they do last about 2 years with hand washing. I would love to hear if any ladies here have purchased this brand online somewhere less expensive.