Author Topic: Lacrosse ball muscle therapy...  (Read 3632 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Lacrosse ball muscle therapy...
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:14:02 PM »
Anyone else think it's pretty amazing? 

I had tried using firm foam for Myofascial release/trigger point therapy for muscle knots of the upper back, shoulders and neck with some limited results.  Went to these very hard solid rubber balls, and wow, is it a lot more effective!  Had one area of 'knots' near the spine so bad it caused painful inhaling, that caught near a full breath, along with some referred pain...  Just a few days into using these balls, really seems to be helping along with continued stretching, and good posture.

Have to say though, the first few times was absolutely excruciating...  When you found the knot, and applied good pressure the pain was so severe, it made me light-headed, and almost vomit.  Next day you could really feel where the release points were raifed on, but in a good way. 

So, if you have never heard of or considered this type of therapy, maybe try it.  If you have been using it, how has your experience been?  Have you achieved good, long term relief?

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
Re: Lacrosse ball muscle therapy...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:48:21 AM »
I do not leave home without mine.  My commute on public transit is about 30 min and the vehicle has high back chairs, so I just drop mine behind my back and go to work on wherever it is sore. I tend to do it very gradually, starting with gentle presses at one end of the muscle, and increasing the pressure a bit until the pain disappears as it relaxes, then I move it along the muscle, and repeat until I hit the real trouble spot.  By then, I am both used to the sensation, and the trouble spot already started to let go.  I find that the gradual approach works better for me than finding the trouble spot immediately and pushing hard against it.

It makes a world of difference.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:13 AM »
I use them for muscle releases but instead of straight pressure, which sometimes inflames my muscle worse, I find a hot spot and then move my limb through a range of motion to target what caused the problem. So, ball under my shoulder blade and then wing my arm out or slide up and down. There are some very practical tutorials on youtube

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
I use a slightly softer dense foam core Trigger Point ball. But YES! AMAZING!

nburns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »
Been using a lacrosse ball for years now on my back/shoulders/neck.  Cheap therapy! Often lie down on my back and roll all over the ball especially my upper back, works wonders.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
Another Regular user.  Foam roll then lacross ball. It cuts way down on massage bills as you can take care of a lot of things yourself this way. 

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »
I foam roll and have tennis balls/lacrosse balls. The lacrosse ball I use against the wall (the tennis ball scootches too much on the slick vertical surface), and I lean back into it. It is less intense then laying my entire weight on it on the floor, and I can get more targeted/precise movements this way. I also keep a tennis ball in the car for long road trips when my upper back gets stiff.

My daily workouts start with a quick foam roll of the quads, calves, and lats and then dynamic stretching, and then I finish with another foam roll and static stretching. I find this really cuts down on soreness I experience.

Self-massage for the win!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
I tried this. So much pain. I found IMS / dry needling to be faster and less painful. I also have benefits that cover this!

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
I use a golf ball to roll out my feet. I find it works like a charm.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
Another Regular user.  Foam roll then lacross ball. It cuts way down on massage bills as you can take care of a lot of things yourself this way.

Same here. I may even get a softer foam roller... going straight to the lacrosse ball is sometimes too much at once. Foam rolling an area then using the ball on trigger points seems to work pretty well though.

My kids wonder why I'm lying on the ground funny and moaning in pain though.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
Yup. I also use an old wooden rolling pin.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »
Tennis balls are perfect

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
Lacrosse balls are the reason I can walk and turn my head. Hurts like heck, but so worth it in the end.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
Racket balls are great for something a little softer/less intense.  I might need to look for a lacrosse ball to add to the arsenal though.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
I had a physical therapist give me an inflatable ball about the size of a grapefruit a few years ago, and it's one of my prize possessions -- I travel with it everywhere. I have a scoliosis curve in my thoracic spine, and a good bit of neck, shoulder, and chest pain but by working with my little ball on my upper arms and shoulders, I'm usually able to release the tension and reduce the pain.

I read an article a few years ago about a hundred year old guy who said that one of his secrets was self-massage -- he just learned how to rub his own aches and pains away. Seems like a really important thing to be able to do!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
Tape two lacrosse balls together and they are the perfect size for hitting the muscles running down both sides of your spine, with your vertebrae passing through the low spot between the balls. It's like the g-spot of spinal muscle release.

You're welcome. ;)

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
Tape two lacrosse balls together and they are the perfect size for hitting the muscles running down both sides of your spine, with your vertebrae passing through the low spot between the balls. It's like the g-spot of spinal muscle release.

You're welcome. ;)

People on my commute probably already think I am  up to no good, wiggling and squirming around in my seat.  I can't be dealing with a g-spot on top of that or they'll throw me overboard.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:13 AM »

You're welcome. ;)
Instead of taping them together, drop them into a sock and close it with a rubberband. The other end of the sock functions as a handle. It's easy to wash and finally gives purpose to those damn odd socks.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
I've been using a pool noodle with a piece of PVC pipe inserted in the center.  Got the first one from a chiropractor. Works exceptionally well.

I've heard of the lacrosse ball therapy but never tried it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »
It's amazing.  I actually carry a softball in my purse so I can stop terrible muscle knots before they progress. I have chronic piriformis problems, and rolling that tiny little strand of muscle on that little ball twice a day makes a huge difference in my pain level (and in the worst attacks, my ability to walk freely).

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »
Really glad to read of others success with these lacrosse balls, and other helpful devices...  So simple, so convenient, so effective, and UBER Mustacian.

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
Funny to see this today as my physical therapist literally introduced this to me yesterday. Only tried the one time, but seems like a very effective method.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
If you are serious about taking care of yourself, watch as many Kelly Starrett videos as you can. He is a fun guy and you will learn a lot about your body. I think he has moved on to a fee based website but all of the old videos are still on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnnB4zDBqZHhQ4uLTAX8eYA