Author Topic: Kitchen Remodeling Advice?  (Read 3416 times)

familyandfarming

• Stubble
Kitchen Remodeling Advice?
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »
I’m asking on this forum because most here have something in common with me, thriftiness and handiness.

Attached is a photo of my 1972 kitchen. I painted the cabinets a few years ago, as they were grody but in great shape. Though they were stock cabinets, 1972 stock cabinets are tons better than 2020 stock cabinets! I put on spendy-pants cabinet hardware. I sandblasted glass inserts in the glassed cabinets, replacing the solid pieces.

The lighting, though old school 1970’s is actually kinda nice and I won’t replace; with a florescent tube all around the perimeter of the kitchen.

I painted the super-ugly ceramic tile white a few years ago and replaced the ORANGE countertop 35 years ago with white, specks of grey laminate. The “island” is a re-painted marble topped thrift store find.

So here’s the question. I’m thinking about replacing the ceramic tile with a subway-style tile up the walls. (Might require replacing the some sheet rock as some dufus in 1972 put the tile up wrong.) I’m considering replacing the countertop with a white solid surface, but I have another option.

Should I consider wood countertops? My dad was a woodworker and I have a couple of oak and walnut trees made into boards that have cured in one of my farm buildings. I have a friend who is a professional woodworker who could make the countertops for me. But is that too much wood??

I would also put in a new stainless steel sink and faucet. The appliances will stay the same, as I still love my 1980’s Jenn-Air I got for cheap, when everybody went with solid top stoves.

So, what do you think? Or should I save my time and money and take up a different hobby?

seemsright

• Bristles
Re: Kitchen Remodeling Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
I think it looks great. Unless it is not working for your family. Keep your money.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
lol, i thought it was the after photo.

I actually redid a office room with the exact same color cabinets and made a think red oak top for the base cabinet. So i like the look. That said, I think would tops in kitchens will have a very short-shelf life and will 'need to be updated' in ten years to be sellable.

So unless it makes you really happy and enjoy it, I think it looks fine.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:34:19 AM »
I love wood countertops, and I think they would look good there.  They add a warmth to the kitchen that your current countertops don't.
But... they aren't for everyone. You will need to treat them - if you don't seal them (and my preference is for UNsealed countertops) then you will need to spray them down periodically with mineral oil (the phrase is: Once a day for a week, once a week for a month adn then once a month for life...).  Or you can stain and seal them, which you'll need to re-do every 5-8 years or so.  Your call.  Wiping them down with mineral oil isn't at all hard, or expensive.  But it needs doing or they will get dry and be prone to cracks and stains.

OTOH engineered stone countertops are as close to maintenance-free as you can get, but cold and hard.

Another thing to thing to think about - countertop materials come in and out of style, but natural finishes (either natural-looking stone or  wood) seem to be as timeless as anything in a kitchen.  I worry a very white solid surface might look dated in 15-20 years.  You may or may not care about that (and you may or may not plan to re-do your kitchen every 2 -3 decades).

Let us know how it works out.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:08 AM »
I think it looks good as is. 

I would not replace the ceramic tile with subway tile (personal preference and I think the subway tile is too ubiquitous).
I would replace the sink if you want to, because that's easy and low cost.
I might think about replacing the laminate countertop, but not with wood - I like the look but wood is too high-maintenance for me.  We just replaced our laminate countertops with engineered quartz.  Very low maintenance.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:43:22 AM »
I think it looks good as-is, though its hard to tell from the picture because it comes up as very low resolution, so not sure how much wear everything has.  Not my color choice for the cabinets (dark grey) but you liked them and haven't mentioned disliking the color. 

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »
Another vote that your kitchen looks way too nice to spend any money on, unless of course you're just doing it because you'll enjoy it and it won't derail your other plans/goals. Again, it's really nice!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »
I agree with the others who are saying it looks really nice as-is and not to spend more. Seems like a huge undertaking and unless you really enjoy demolition and remodeling or something. If anything perhaps update the faucet - the sink seems OK (hard to tell from the pic). Unless you were intending to put in a farmhouse sink or something.

Are you looking to make the improvement in hopes of increasing your home value or to entice buyers during a future home sale? Or is this more just for your own preference?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
Not a fan of wood countertops.
Something impervious like laminate, Corion, Quartz or Granite will ne much more sanitary and easier to maintain.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
I would do white tile and a white countertop.  I would make the cabinets pop, but that's just my opinion.

I thought about doing wood for my counters, but after reading about all the care required I went with granite tile instead.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
I think the wood would look fine, but I absolutely hate taking care of it.  I once rented a place with wood countertops and they were such a pain.  But that's your preference.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
One more vote for save your money - it looks great! Remodel if you want to for fun or to gain new skills, but you really don't need to do anything here.

Those boards sound cool, however. Maybe as one of those alternative hobbies you joked about you could work with your friend and try your hand at making furniture or smaller items like custom cutting boards? A live edge table could be a cool project. Maybe start with some less interesting wood for a first project, though.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
I also thought it was the after picture.

Wood is not much of an upgrade from laminate. I went from laminate to wood as a quick cheap remodel. My laminate was a horrible color that made me nauseous and dizzy.
When I do my next kitchen renovation that I expect to last me for decades it will be a quartz countertop. For the backsplash I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DKTZL9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 05:51:00 PM »
You have ALL given such rock-solid advice! That's why I like this forum so much! I'm so slow on pulling the trigger on this, (if at all) as the original kitchen was a study in "here today, very out of style tomorrow", with orange countertops, avocado green appliances and orange, avocado and harvest gold floral patterned flooring. Complimenting it all was a grape/vine wallpaper on the soffit and avocado, green and harvest gold patterned ceramic tile below. But the footprint is rock solid! We replaced the floor last year with a dark oak laminate to match the woodwork throughout the house.

We don't think about resale as much as aesthetic and functionality. We use our kitchen a lot! Because we live 14 miles from any sort of restaurant, we cook every meal. We also raise most of our food.

I love art and design as I taught it for decades, but I also don't like to be wasteful and trendy.

I'll ponder this some more and while I ponder I think I'll go down to the basement and rip up some glued down shag carpet from the '70's instead!

Here's a better photo of my kitchen. I value your input!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:53:38 PM by familyandfarming »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
Wow, you did a really nice job updating that kitchen. Love the hardware detail!

I can see where you are coming from on the wall tile. Square tile of that size just seems more like bathroom tile than anything to me. But, how easy will it be to remove those tiles? I can tell you that we have bathrooms from the 50's, and those tiles weren't coming down without pretty much ripping down to the studs because they are cemented in place. Taking out the old rusty sink became a major ordeal with collateral tile and wall damage. They aren't just held in place loosely like 90's tiles that practically will fall off when the get wet. So, I think the demo alone on the tile could be difficult, but you'd have to ask some folks who do tile to come out and look in person and give you their advice. Another option would be to put new tile right over the top, but I personally wouldn't do that (lots of people do it, ymmv).

Honestly, the wall tile is the only thing I would change that you mentioned, and I'd only do it if the demo will not be too horrible. Wood counters sound like a pain, and I'll second the suggestion that you use the wood for furniture instead.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 07:02:31 PM »
The stuck on forever tile is giving me pause!

Here’s a link to the cabinet hardware I used. I love to open cabinets and pull open drawers! I wipe them off with a microfiber cloth often. You will notice everything is pricey, but at least I get a Restoration Hardware catalog every once in a while!

Stainless Steel Pulls:
https://rh.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1283091&categoryId=cat10310081

Inlaid Mother of Pearl Pulls:
https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/duchess-bath-collection5?category=SEARCHRESULTS&color=004&searchparams=q%3Dinlaid%2520drawer%2520pull&type=STANDARD&size=Set%20Of%202&quantity=1

Hobby Lobby sells a pretty good Anthropology Knock Off:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Knobs-Hardware/Knobs/Brass-Metal-Knob-with-Capiz-Shell-Inlay/p/80732693

If you paint cabinets, have the primer tinted the same color as your cabinet paint, it will make everything better!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 07:59:15 PM »
I think you can get a few more years out of it and then do a quartz countertop and a nice backsplash.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
I'm a big fan of quartz countertops; lots of design choices and no maintenance!
But I've also installed lots of wood counters, too, some I made, some I bought. Some people love them! Some don't.  If you cut a sink hole into the wood counter make sure you really seal the end grain exposed by the cut.
Perhaps use the wood as a feature, maybe a wood top on the island, or make a nice, large wood cutting board that sits proudly on the counter?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:17 AM »
My first response is if you still have shag carpet, there might be other areas of your home where your money could be better spent. You have done a nice job of updating the kitchen on a budget.

However, since you asked,  and I like this stuff, my hamster brain is running on the wheel now...

What is the inset to the right of the sink for? Could you please post a close-up of the backsplash? Can you include the tile area that's installed incorrectly, or explain better what's wrong with it? Also, how is the clearance around the island? What do you store in it and use it for most? Is there any space on the foreground side of the photo to widen the peninsula to create a breakfast bar and would you even use it? I'm not suggesting it, just gathering food for thought. Finally, a quick sketch with dimensions would be very helpful.

Batsignalling @couponvan, because she's good at this stuff, too.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »
Ohhh! I love you guys! I won’t be able to send stuff until mid-February as my youngest grandchild had a daycare worker come down with Covid, and his parents are essential. So I’m driving down right now to babysit until he can go back to pre school. Just stopped at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere. So, don’t think I’m ignoring anyone. Grandma has to help.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
Ohhh! I love you guys! I won’t be able to send stuff until mid-February as my youngest grandchild had a daycare worker come down with Covid, and his parents are essential. So I’m driving down right now to babysit until he can go back to pre school. Just stopped at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere. So, don’t think I’m ignoring anyone. Grandma has to help.
Grandma to the rescue!

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 01:07:04 PM »
I would change out the faucet to something more current and larger but other than that I think it looks great.

If you want to update the countertops I would go with quartz. They look nice and are low maintenance. I personally wouldn't want wood due to the maintenance. They look nice on the house shows but it's not something I would like IRL.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 04:01:34 PM »
Your kitchen looks great the way it is. The only thing I might do if I really had nowhere better to spend my money is to switch out the faucet to something more luxe and paint the window trim white/cream to match the tile colors so it doesn’t stand out so much.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 08:51:51 AM »
I will trade you - your kitchen for my kitchen. Seriously.

I could see replacing the backsplash, but based on the picture at least you don't need to. If it's not looking good in real life, then yes replace it.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »
The only issue I can see is the white laminate countertops. I don't like the idea of white countertops, regardless of material. These will eventually develop dirty scratches or stains from things like beets, coffee, and purple onions. It doesn't look like this is a concern right now, and laminate countertops obviously can last for decades, but that's the only thing I would consider changing if I was a retired millionaire.

Also, I'm really enjoying my under-counter farm sink. One can just wipe crumbs and debris into the sink and there's no edge to catch it all. The tradeoff of sometimes having to re-caulk the underside is absolutely worth it. If you go concrete, quartz, or granite I recommend this. I actually paid someone $500 to saw/polish my fancy granite countertops and replace my 2 sided sink with a deep farm sink, and it changed the whole functionality of the kitchen. I would do it again too.

Key question: Do you plan on potentially selling the house in the next 5 years?

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
We have lived in this house since 1983. It was avocado and orange throughout, as in 1972 that was all the rage. It came with the farm. When purchasing a farm, what matters most is the dirt, the outbuildings (machine shed, barns, etc), and lastly the house. You only live in the house. You make money (hopefully) with a farm. Home updates are slow going, as there's always something else to fix; re-roofing outbuildings, maintaining waterways, making improvements, etc, etc.

We replaced the orange countertop with white laminate in 1992. If I remember it only cost around $300. I just couldn't stand the orange anymore! The avocado appliances were changed as they died. (Some of those appliances kept working until 2000!) Die avocado, die!!

As the years have passed, we have slowly eliminated all of the avocado and orange. (The shag carpet is only in one room in the basement, and that won't take so long to replace.) We just repainted and redid everything else in the basement last summer. I know you are thinking, "How long can one stand creepy flooring?" My answer is, "Decades." I never looked down!

And now we are circling back to the kitchen. I appreciate all of the comments. You are all giving me a lot to think about. With an impending blizzard tomorrow and 4 additional days of scary wind chills predicted, my 8 hour drive may be pushed further out, so more photos will be later. Thanks Covid for putting me in this predicament to begin with! (But my one year old grandson is so worth it!)

In answer to putting the house on the market any time soon, the answer is no. It's our livelihood and family farm.

Edit to add: In case you're wondering, there was an avocado green bathtub, orange bathroom tile, AND avocado green sinks throughout! Visualize that!

I forgot to also mention the avocado green toilets & washer and dryer...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:06:46 AM by familyandfarming »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
We have lived in this house since 1983. It was avocado and orange throughout, as in 1972 that was all the rage. It came with the farm. When purchasing a farm, what matters most is the dirt, the outbuildings (machine shed, barns, etc), and lastly the house. You only live in the house. You make money (hopefully) with a farm. Home updates are slow going, as there's always something else to fix; re-roofing outbuildings, maintaining waterways, making improvements, etc, etc.

We replaced the orange countertop with white laminate in 1992. If I remember it only cost around $300. I just couldn't stand the orange anymore! The avocado appliances were changed as they died. (Some of those appliances kept working until 2000!) Die avocado, die!!

As the years have passed, we have slowly eliminated all of the avocado and orange. (The shag carpet is only in one room in the basement, and that won't take so long to replace.) We just repainted and redid everything else in the basement last summer. I know you are thinking, "How long can one stand creepy flooring?" My answer is, "Decades." I never looked down!

And now we are circling back to the kitchen. I appreciate all of the comments. You are all giving me a lot to think about. With an impending blizzard tomorrow and 4 additional days of scary wind chills predicted, my 8 hour drive may be pushed further out, so more photos will be later. Thanks Covid for putting me in this predicament to begin with! (But my one year old grandson is so worth it!)

In answer to putting the house on the market any time soon, the answer is no. It's our livelihood and family farm.

Edit to add: In case you're wondering, there was an avocado green bathtub, orange bathroom tile, AND avocado green sinks throughout! Visualize that!

Perhaps someday people will think you did a big disservice to architecture and cultural history when you demolished this time capsule of 1970's style. I suppose in the 1950s-1980s when people were committing the crimes of painting over stained hardwood trim in their Arts and Crafts homes and bulldozing Victorian mansions to put in cookie cutter ranch houses, it seemed like they were doing something to modernize and add value to the space. Nonetheless, it's hard for me to escape my own generational perspective and see the avocado/orange/yellow/brown everywhere aesthetic as anything more than disposable fashion, produced more by corporations than by craftsmen and representing more of what went wrong with culture instead of a throwback to a pleasant nostalgia or historical awe. Today such houses are considered the abodes of poor/old people who couldn't afford to "modernize" with the latest surfaces and can lights from Home Depot, but maybe that's what a completely intact oak-trimmed turn-of-the-century parlor looked like to people back then.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
What you say is true! But the bigger issue I’m trying to work with is, “What is a trend and what is a fad?” I maintain that being able to see 5 different patterned flooring choices from one vantage point, ranging from that the “stacked brick” harvest gold flooring, to the orange shag carpet, to a multi-patterned orange, green and harvest gold, to the only keeper, a slab of beautiful limestone in the entry. And then in the ‘80’s it was country blue and mauve… Is that a keeper too? Take a look at people’s wedding photos over the decades and you will be hard pressed to find classic. A dress can be taken to Goodwill, but interiors of houses are a much larger issue.

That’s why I’m so slow in making changes. Is it a trend or fad? I ask that often. My most important furniture is from the 1920’s. I have a pretty good art collection, and want that to take center stage. When I get home, I’ll take a photo of the large oil landscape painting I have in my dining area in the kitchen. Main colors? Orange and green. Get rid of that? Never! In the right way, any color is good!

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
If you are the handy type, you might want to consider concrete counter tops. There are tons of youtube videos on the subject.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
If you are the handy type, you might want to consider concrete counter tops. There are tons of youtube videos on the subject.
On our last flip project, I chose quartz counters that kind of looked like concrete. Actual concrete has too many imperfections. IMO, concrete always has a homemade look about it. I want to be able to wipe smooth counters clean. I also don't want to see every single crumb, so I'd never do white counters.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »
Okay, here’s some additional photos and dimensions.

The inset is the original cutting board from 1972. I think it’s some sort of Corelle-type thing. I occasionally use it, but it does have a metal border that catches stuff.

I’ve attached photos of the backsplash. I painted it with an oil-based primer and let it sit for weeks and then painted with an oil-based Rustoleum with a foam roller. There’s nothing “wrong”, but it is painted tile, and lacks that “ceramic sheen”. But is it worth it to probably knock down sheet rock for aesthetics?

I use the island a bunch. Every time something comes out of the oven, it sits on the granite top. I store bowls, platters, etc. in the island. It also has a handy drawer to hold stuff. There’s about 3 feet of space around all sides of the island.

Yes, there is room to extend the peninsula about 10 inches. If that was done, I would put small footprint stools under it, as the dining area is our only place to eat and isn’t huge. We don’t have a formal dining room, which is fine by us! I’ve also included a photo of the dining area to give you an idea of space. I designed the table and had my professional woodworker friend make it. The lamps are there for our daily reading time. (Notice the orange and green painting. Love the painting, didn’t like the previous orange countertop. The portraits are of our children.) I’m thinking about painting the bench and chairs, but haven’t come to any conclusion about that.

The kitchen is BIG compared to the rest of the house at a little over 12’X12’. The attached dining area is 9’X12’ (As example, our bathroom is 5X12, and upstairs bedrooms are all 10X12, which is preferable.)

I’m posting my inspiration board on another post below.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:44 AM »
Attached you will find an inspiration board I've come up with. Quartz is pricey stuff! Is it really worth it? My kids have it, and it’s kinda dreamy, but it would be a large expenditure. (Their kitchens aren’t as big as mine.) Laminate is tons cheaper, but not as high end. Maybe just keep my current countertop?

What if I make a wood wall in place of the old painted ceramic tile? I would stain the wood to match the floors we just installed that matches our woodwork. I'm not a messy cook, and it would be a neat way to pay homage to my dad, without installing wood counters that many are against, for good reason. But am I missing something?

I am going to replace the faucet. My old faucet is meh with a $3 sprayer screw on attachment. If I keep the current sink, (which I'm leaning toward) I’ll need that piece under my faucet choices shown, as that’s the current footprint. I will also change the drinking water faucet. (Well water) It’s getting gross.

I like the light fixture I’ve chosen on the inspiration board and will install one in the kitchen and one in the dining area. That’s a for sure project I’m going to do. I’m planning on repainting the kitchen chairs and the old bench underneath the paintings. Again, don’t know what color…

Okay, so have at it! Thoughts?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
I have limited internet for the next few days. I used to used a website called 99Cent Knobs. Not everything's that price any more, but they still 9ccasionally have screaming deals. I can't find the site I used on the last flip for the life if me, but they were lovely and cost 3.48 each.

I got a deal on the countertops by asking what they had in their "boneyard". Working from what's available can save you big bucks. Keep shopping until someone's bone yard has something you like at a great price.

I am a huge fan of 42" uppers and no soffits.

I am not a fan of farmhouse sinks, alas. A deep undermount SS sink hides dirty dishes really well. Also, a powerful faucet and a shallow-ish sink is a bad combination.

Is that a lightbar around the top of the cabinets?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
I figured out the lightbar. Never seen such a thing. A least you know you have electrical if you want to put in can lights.

BTW, your backsplash looks great!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 10:41:05 AM »
I’m asking on this forum because most here have something in common with me, thriftiness and handiness.

Attached is a photo of my 1972 kitchen. I painted the cabinets a few years ago, as they were grody but in great shape. Though they were stock cabinets, 1972 stock cabinets are tons better than 2020 stock cabinets! I put on spendy-pants cabinet hardware. I sandblasted glass inserts in the glassed cabinets, replacing the solid pieces.

The lighting, though old school 1970’s is actually kinda nice and I won’t replace; with a florescent tube all around the perimeter of the kitchen.

I painted the super-ugly ceramic tile white a few years ago and replaced the ORANGE countertop 35 years ago with white, specks of grey laminate. The “island” is a re-painted marble topped thrift store find.

So here’s the question. I’m thinking about replacing the ceramic tile with a subway-style tile up the walls. (Might require replacing the some sheet rock as some dufus in 1972 put the tile up wrong.) I’m considering replacing the countertop with a white solid surface, but I have another option.

Should I consider wood countertops? My dad was a woodworker and I have a couple of oak and walnut trees made into boards that have cured in one of my farm buildings. I have a friend who is a professional woodworker who could make the countertops for me. But is that too much wood??

I would also put in a new stainless steel sink and faucet. The appliances will stay the same, as I still love my 1980’s Jenn-Air I got for cheap, when everybody went with solid top stoves.

So, what do you think? Or should I save my time and money and take up a different hobby?
Brilliant timing!

I am putting in two separate kitchens in two of our residences.

I am jonesing for beautiful wood countertops. DH who is a professional carpenter said “no way” but why should that stop me? Haha.

Ikea has pretty wood laminate countertops. Butcher block is classic. Surely one of these options would work for us, no?

But after reading reviews of Ikea stuff (seams swell and break) and butcher block (requires regular oiling) I have decided against it. I am not very good at maintenance tasks.

Damn would a dark wood look gorgeous with those grey cabinets, of yours, though!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:45:59 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
In your question laminate vs quartz:
I lived with laminate for years longer than I should have. I regret hating my laminate for so long.

The main problem was that I couldn’t decide on a pattern of granite since DH and I always disagreed. And with quartz, sooooooo many color and pattern choices! I was overwhelmed.

Finally I chose a grey quartz with very slight pattern. I think of it as slate in my Victorian kitchen.

We have no farmhouse sink since I think those are ridiculous. Being from central Iowa I have been in many authentic farmhouses and have never seen one.

I love this quartz, but honestly, my next two kitchens will have natural stone.while I love the material that is quartz, I do not like the idea of it which is ground up rock in epoxy.

I have ordered a pretty marble for my city kitchen, and will use some sort of granite for our country house.

The marble has to be sealed regularly, but I won’t do much  cooking  there often, and will be careful with it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:36:26 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »

I would not replace the ceramic tile with subway tile (personal preference and I think the subway tile is too ubiquitous).
I might think about replacing the laminate countertop, but not with wood - I like the look but wood is too high-maintenance for me.  We just replaced our laminate countertops with engineered quartz.  Very low maintenance.

Ugh, subway tile.I like it very much, but man is it everywhere. As are white kitchens. Shaker style cabinentry. I love my kitchen I mean I absolutely adore a white kitchen,  it is classic. Subway tile is classic. So  does everybody have to do it everywhere for the past many years?

I am doing  in my city condo kitchen in a light blue that is a color pleasing to me in order to avoid the ubiquitous white kitchen. I’m having my Amish cabinet makers paint it a custom color. There will be marble countertops and marble backsplash and it will be beautiful. For our country cottage I would normally do a slightly off-white kitchen, ivory. But I don’t know since I’m seeing the white kitchen trend going on and on...don’t know if I will be part of that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:53:50 AM by iris lily »

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2021, 04:35:20 AM »

Ugh, subway tile.I like it very much, but man is it everywhere. As our white kitchens. Shaker style canon entry. I love my kitchen I mean I absolutely adore a white kitchen,  it is classic. Subway tile is classic. So  does everybody have to do it everywhere for the past many years?

I am doing  in my city condo kitchen in a light blue that is a color pleasing to me in order to avoid the ubiquitous white kitchen. I’m having my Amish cabinet makers paint it a custom color. There will be marble countertops and marble backsplash and it will be beautiful. For our country cottage I would normally do a slightly off-white kitchen, ivory. But I don’t know since I’m seeing the white kitchen trend going on and on...don’t know if I will be part of that.

Hi IL!  I have always been of the opinion that not doing something because everyone else is doing it is much the same as doing something because everyone else is doing it.  In both cases you are allowing everyone else to determine your choices.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2021, 06:47:35 AM »

Ugh, subway tile.I like it very much, but man is it everywhere. As our white kitchens. Shaker style canon entry. I love my kitchen I mean I absolutely adore a white kitchen,  it is classic. Subway tile is classic. So  does everybody have to do it everywhere for the past many years?

Hi IL!  I have always been of the opinion that not doing something because everyone else is doing it is much the same as doing something because everyone else is doing it.  In both cases you are allowing everyone else to determine your choices.

Hey there rosa! Yes, what you say is true.classic is classic, even if it is the trend of the moment.

I guess some of the determining factor should be appropriate classic kitchen for the building.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:53:04 AM by iris lily »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »

you know avocado appliances are on the cusp of being the next new thing, right?

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »
I think your kitchen is basically fine. I love having a single large deep sink so I would switch out your sink to a big under mount  stainless sink.

You might consider bringing in color with some art (small pictures), vases with flowers, potted plants. If you look at Design Sponge or Emily Henderson’s site, you could get some fun ideas on kitchen styling.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
Misty Money, What a hoot about the "new color"! I will say we were true Mustachian, as we waited to replace appliances until they died and a friend, an appliance repair guy, said we had to replace! We started with the stove, then refrigerator, dishwasher, washer and then dryer in that order. Some lasted almost 30 years!

The black appliances were chosen because of the stove choice we made. We're okay with the black. Goes well with the existing woodwork/floor.

Again, thanks to all for the insight!

regenaeb

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 07:43:07 AM »
I work for a high end cabinetry design company. I am not a designer, I am the person that writes these cabinetry orders and all the outsourced/additional items. I work the engineering side to make sure it all works. Designers are great at designing, but bad at making sure what they draw actually functions and will not fall off the wall in 2 days. Just wanted to give you some background. I see kitchens/baths/studies and laundry rooms 40-50 hours a week. So my advice is this:

1) If you are not selling anytime soon, then do what you want with this kitchen. Meaning if you don't want to spend too much, but would like a refresh then do just that.
2) The backsplash, I personally like a subway tile look. It is very "in" right now, much more than the ceramic tiles you have. But if the walls are a concern behind the tile then it may not be worth messing with. If you really want the subway tiles, take off the old and get an idea of what needs to be done. It may require getting a drywaller in to fix the walls so they can accept new tile. But until you get it all off you are not going to know. Just be prepared this might not be an easy quick job when you take that tile off.
3) In regards to the wood countertops. We most often only do wood countertops as an accent piece. Such as doing them on the island only and not the perimeter. Most of our clients actually have 2 islands (yes these are some massive kitchens) and they will put wood counters on the outer island (seating island) and not so much the working island (inner island). There are 2 reasons, first wood countertops done correctly are expensive. When I say correctly, I mean sealed and finished correctly. If you do not do them right they will be stained quite quickly with food/wine/water marks. This process since you dealing with wood is very time consuming so that is why the manufacturers charge so much. Second reason is unless you have a very well natural lit space the wood countertops end up making your kitchen look too dark. I love the gray painted cabinets you did, but if you put wood on all the counters and you don't have a big wall of windows on the outer side it may look way too dark.
4) In my opinion I would go with a light quartz countertop. Stone is nice, but requires resealing from time to time. Quartz is much less maintenance if any at all.

Again, this is all what I would do and not what you should do. Just to give you thoughts to think about.

TrMama

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »

1) If you are not selling anytime soon, then do what you want with this kitchen. Meaning if you don't want to spend too much, but would like a refresh then do just that.

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you live on a farm and the value of the place lies mostly in the dirt outside, then what you do to the inside of the house has minimal effect on it's resale value. Ergo, do what makes you happy. Just be aware that it's a personal hobby and isn't going to make you any money. We're in the midst of refreshing our basement suite and I'm making choices primarily to suit us, but with half and eye toward a future where we may rent it out again. So nothing too crazy or super trendy in the hard to replace finishes, but also things I actually like.

I have nicer laminate counters in my kitchen and am quite happy with them. No I can't put hot pots directly on them, but I've never found it to be a problem. Plus, my kitchen is stupidly large and replacing them with some kind of solid surface something would be more than I want to spend. You could also just swap the existing laminate counters for different ones.

As for backsplashes, I'm thinking about using removable wallpaper in our suite kitchen. It doesn't have any backsplash at the moment and backsplashes are areas that can date a kitchen quickly. I'm concerned that whatever choice I make today will make it look dated 10 years from now (when we're likely to sell). This kitchen won't really get used so I don't have to worry about durability, but a pretty pattern on the backsplash will make me happy in the meantime.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
I work for a high end cabinetry design company...

Oh hey there! I’m so glad to run into you on the site! Appreciate your words about wood countertops and that just cemented my resolve to not get them even though I would love them so much.

So here’s my kitchen dilemma: I want curved mullions in the upper glass cabinets. Fake mullions of course, I don’t even aspire to have curved pieces of glass.

My Amish cabinet makers don’t make that product. They will make glass doors in upper cabinets. Where do you recommend I go to get curved mullions custom-made for 42 inch tall glass cabinets?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:14:05 AM by iris lily »