Author Topic: Kid smart watch with GPS tracker - recommendations please  (Read 1971 times)

Krolik

• Stubble
Kid smart watch with GPS tracker - recommendations please
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
I wanted to ask if anybody has experience or can recommend a basic smart watch for a kid with GPS tracker. There are many available on Amazon but it is hard to pick one.
I don't care about games and all those extra features. GPS tracking and kid friendly interface are important for me. It would be for a 7 year old.

Thanks in advance for any info.

haflander

• Bristles
Re: Kid smart watch with GPS tracker - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
I'll go ahead and ask the ?...why do you need this? Are you wanting to know where your kid is all the time? Making sure they're at school or home...?

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Safety, in case something happens. I know where she is (school / aftercare / friends) but anything can happen in life. We live in a very safe neighborhood and I don't have any particular concerns but there are times when she is on her own.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:58:32 PM by Krolik »

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
I don't have a recommendation, but I agree this seems unnecessary.  It seems more like the illusion of safety than actual safety to me.

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
SC stated my general opinion in much kinder and more gentle words than I was thinking in my head.

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
I appreciate your responses but it doesn't answer my question...

I wanted to ask if anybody has experience or can recommend a basic smart watch for a kid with GPS tracker.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
I appreciate your responses but it doesn't answer my question...

I wanted to ask if anybody has experience or can recommend a basic smart watch for a kid with GPS tracker.

No, I don’t have experience or recommendations, since the data security authorities in my country strongly recommend not putting GPS trackers on kids. They have even banned a couple of the larger brands, due to lack of security in data management. Some of the watches could easily be hacked and used to track and listen in on the kids.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Safety, in case something happens. I know where she is (school / aftercare / friends) but anything can happen in life. We live in a very safe neighborhood and I don't have any particular concerns but there are times when she is on her own.

A watch can pretty easily be removed.  Maybe check into those ankle trackers used when people are under house arrest.