Author Topic: Kid's Bike Question  (Read 1058 times)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Kid's Bike Question
« on: March 21, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »
So my 8 year-old son tells me that the brake isn't working on his bike. When I went to check it out, the entire brake handle (lever?) was missing.

He says he has no idea where it is of course.

Can someone point me to what I need to buy to fix this?  Can you buy just the brake handle, or do you have to buy something like the link below?
Does it have to be a specific type, or are they pretty standardized? His bike is a "Specialized" mountain bike style.

I'd like to order if from Amazon since we are isolating right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-T610-V-brake-silver-Silver/dp/B00DONJW9U?ref_=s9_apbd_orecs_hd_bw_bEf0F&pf_rd_r=FGCH9TXBJ92HK67PESHD&pf_rd_p=2c8cd505-46c4-500c-a786-a7b4bbd9ab46&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=3494211

Thanks all.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Kid's Bike Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Do you have the name and model of the bike?  When I need to fix/replace something I google my bike and usually the info sheet with specifications is out there. Even my 2001 Trek 1000's info is still available online.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=35693

If not available, you may need to upload a photo so we can see what's missing/wrong.  Well, me specifically, I'm a visual person.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, all the Shimano mountain bike levers have the same amount of brake pull.  You should be able to buy any of their brake levers and have it work if the part you have is Shimano.  Don't mix mountain/road stuff though, different amount of pull and it won't work.

I don't know about other brands though.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
That part will work. It's a mid-range part though, and I'm thinking for an 8 y/o you could probably spend half as much for a good-enough brake lever. See Ebay.