Author Topic: Kia Soul  (Read 5567 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Kia Soul
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »
We are looking to replace my pos Malibu sometime next year.  There was a previous thread where I asked about certain replacements, this is a more directed one.

We've gone out test driving several of the contenders, and the one we like by far the best is the Kia Soul.  We like it for space for my large (both tall and wide) DH, inexpensiveness, standard bluetooth, acceptible gas mileage, fun colors available, cargo space, etc.  I'd personally like a base model with the smaller engine and a stick shift, as long as my DH with his tall knees can operate the clutch comfortably.  We plan on buying new in cash, either a 2013 or 2014 model about the time when it gets hot out next spring due to both having no a/c and that being about the time when the brakes will need replacing...again.  They only last me 10-11 months on the malibu, I'll be replacing them soon for the last time.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this car?  Any reasons to avoid it other than unfounded rumors that Kia is going out of business?

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
Re: Kia Soul
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
In May I bought a 2013 certified used (11k miles), manual transmission, base model for $15k.  So far, I *love* it.  The downsides I have noticed are:

• There are some big blindspots when you're backing up because of the wide rear window pillars.  A backup camera comes standard only with the most expensive trim.
  • The car is made to function with remote locking feature (only standard on the most expensive trim), and there is only ONE keyhole - in the driver's side door. You can't even unlock the hatchback with a key, and there is no latch release under the driver's seat.  You must unlock all the doors, go open the back hatch manually, then go back to the driver's side door to lock everything.  That is pretty inconvenient.

Those things aside, I went from driving a 17-year-old Camry to this and I'm quite happy with it.

It's rated for 25 mpg city / 30 mpg highway, but I'm regularly getting an average mpg of 35, with a lot of stop and go traffic (yes, I am a commuter clown). I'm learning about how to drive more efficiently all the time, so I hope to improve this.

The Edmunds page is good:
http://www.edmunds.com/kia/soul/2013/?mktcat=kia-soul-fuel-economy&kw=kia+soul+mpg&mktid=ga56483650&gclid=CN6xrLeJprgCFWYaOgodFQ0AZA

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
Well that's all good to hear.  And the locks don't sound as annoying as the ones on DH's Tahoe (not our daily driver, we're commuting clowns but at least avoid that one!)  His rear hatch only locks with the key, so when we leave the car in the lot we have to go around and manually lock the hatch.

My current car gets average about 27-28 mpg mixed highway/town driving, I'm a pretty gently driver so I think I'll get slightly better out of a Soul.

How are the blind spots for you?  In the test drive I took they didn't seem as bad as the ones in the malibu.  Also, I made sure to back it into the spot at the end of the test drive, the pillars weren't terrible.  Not great either :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »
I was suspecting that there may be some reliability issues, but they can't possibly be worse than my current car (knock on wood).

Nissans are supposed to have pretty good reliability, but I have heard that this doesn't hold true for the cheaper Versa, another car we had considered.

I'll be sure to check that book out of my library, thanks for the tip!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
Of note: you can add a Bluetooth stereo to any car these days for a whopping $100. Don't let it affect your decision.
True, that is of lesser concern.  Much more is the size/shape of me (12 year old girl sized) and my husband (NFL linebacker sized).  It's just difficult to find cars that are comfortable for both of us that are also inexpensive and have decent gas mileage.

What about arm rests?  Can folding arm rests be added to the sides of the seats after market?  That's my biggest issue with the Soul, the arm rests aren't anywhere near where my elbow is.

Under_Score

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
Many people shop new Hyundais/Kias against used Hondas and Toyotas. All else equal, the Japanese car will be of better quality, and will hold its value far better. Certified used Hondas get a better warranty than new ones, so you should be able to match the 100,000 mile warranty Kias and Hyundais get.

I would at least consider a used CR-V