Author Topic: Kia Niro EV or Lexus CT 200h?  (Read 6798 times)

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Kia Niro EV or Lexus CT 200h?
« on: November 05, 2023, 10:11:07 PM »
Car ppl, I need help choosing between these two cars for my 20 mile round trip commute and the occasional road trip.

2020 Kia Niro EV premium + winter package
20k miles
$19k (after $4k used EV rebate)
Can charge for free at work! This car gets great reviews for reliability. But I’ve never spent more than $6k on a car before so I’m having trouble justifying it.

2011 Lexus CT200h premium
55k miles
$9.5k
It’s basically a luxe Prius, and I could drive this until more better electric cars are cheaper. I think it’s so cheap because it’s painted an ugly color.

These cars are both very pleasant to be inside.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:25:02 AM by baconschteam »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Kia Niro EV or Lexus CT 200h?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 04:21:53 AM »
I like the Lexus. I was looking at those pre-COVID for my daughter, when they were cheaper, and it seemed to be a decent car for the price.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 06:48:06 AM »
The CT200h is going to be a lot more convenient to road trip over the next few years until EV fast charging infrastructure gets more mature/functional.

Lalalauren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 07:06:34 AM »
I’m not a car persons, just an insurance person. 2 things to know -

1. Kia & Hyundais have had a theft problem due to some TikTok boys demonstrating how to steal them. It may be hard to get full coverage insurance on a 2020 Kia.

2. Consider the cost of insurance to cover these vehicles. This might help inform your decision. You should be able to get an estimate from your agent, however, if you need to shop bc the rates are so high, this this when the Kia problem of securing full coverage insurance might impact you.

VanillaGorilla

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 07:43:18 AM »
I always wanted a CT200 until it came time to part with my cash, at which point I couldn't justify it over a Prius. They obviously share a drivetrain but the Prius is far more aerodynamic. My two third-gen Prii returned an average of 49 and 47mpg, whereas the Lexus barely cracks 40.

Also, the Prius has a much larger trunk, which is the real dealbreaker for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy a car that's equally underpowered, less fuel efficient, and smaller, for more money.

I assume the Lexus has the same ECU as a Prius. If that's the case, be aware that the car's single biggest limitation is the overzealous traction control system, which cuts power at the slightest hint of, well, anything. The smallest amount of sand, mud, or snow makes the car refuse to move, and the traction control cannot be turned off. That's fine here in the sunny bits of California, but it's something to be aware of in other climates. Newer Priuses and the Kona you're considering are probably quite a bit better in this regard.

I love my Prius. Hands down, the most trouble free car I've owned, and arguably the cheapest way to cart yourself around today's market. They're cheap to buy, cheap to fuel, cheap to insure, cheap to repair, they're wildly reliable. Do be aware of potential head gasket issues, particularly on the older models.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 11:33:48 AM »
I love my Prius. Hands down, the most trouble free car I've owned, and arguably the cheapest way to cart yourself around today's market. They're cheap to buy, cheap to fuel, cheap to insure, cheap to repair, they're wildly reliable. Do be aware of potential head gasket issues, particularly on the older models.

I’m a current Prius owner so totally appreciate all of this. This Lexus is cheaper than all the other Prii I’ve seen with similar mileage and I was very impressed with it after borrowing a friend’s. The plan would actually be to eventually get a 2023 Prius prime once they are old enough to qualify for a used EV rebate. For now, we’d still have the old Prius (2009) to use as our “truck”. My wife just needs a nicer looking car sometimes when she goes to business meetings.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »

1. Kia & Hyundais have had a theft problem due to some TikTok boys demonstrating how to steal them. It may be hard to get full coverage insurance on a 2020 Kia.

2. Consider the cost of insurance to cover these vehicles. This might help inform your decision. You should be able to get an estimate from your agent, however, if you need to shop bc the rates are so high, this this when the Kia problem of securing full coverage insurance might impact you.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Will look into this today.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 01:54:11 PM »
So, I've been looking inward a bit and it's possible my question is a little disingenuous. Here's the deal:

The Lexus probably makes more sense, since I'll be putting so few miles on it (20 miles a day plus side trips), I'm familiar with the engine having worked on my Prius for years, it's a more proven vehicle, and it costs half as much.

But I want the electric car. I want to glide down the road burning nothing, with a little heat pump keeping me warm in the winter. I want a way to justify it. If I charge for free at work, this could save me over $1000 per year! It would probably last years longer too (due to the difference in mileage)! It would probably cost way less to maintain due to the simplicity of electric drivetrains!

Perhaps, I'm horny for the electric car and it's clouding my judgement. I'm not factoring in the opportunity cost. I'm not truly thinking mustachian. I just want somebody to tell me I can buy the Kia!

So reality check, does this ring true? Am I looking for an excuse to fool myself into being a consumer sucka??
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 02:01:42 PM by baconschteam »

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 04:15:34 AM »
Spending $19k on a practical used EV is mustachian, nobody is coming for your card. Also the kia theft problem doesn't apply to the 2020 niro EV as far as I can tell. https://www.thedrive.com/news/these-hyundai-and-kia-models-are-blacklisted-by-state-farm-insurance-over-thefts

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 07:27:05 AM »
I always wanted a CT200 until it came time to part with my cash, at which point I couldn't justify it over a Prius. They obviously share a drivetrain but the Prius is far more aerodynamic. My two third-gen Prii returned an average of 49 and 47mpg, whereas the Lexus barely cracks 40.

Also, the Prius has a much larger trunk, which is the real dealbreaker for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy a car that's equally underpowered, less fuel efficient, and smaller, for more money.

I assume the Lexus has the same ECU as a Prius. If that's the case, be aware that the car's single biggest limitation is the overzealous traction control system, which cuts power at the slightest hint of, well, anything. The smallest amount of sand, mud, or snow makes the car refuse to move, and the traction control cannot be turned off. That's fine here in the sunny bits of California, but it's something to be aware of in other climates. Newer Priuses and the Kona you're considering are probably quite a bit better in this regard.

I did a research dive into the CT200h years ago and came to a similar conclusion relative to the Prius. It's actually just a worse Prius with lipstick. An additional issue you didn't mention is the back seat legroom in the Lexus is abysmal.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 07:30:11 AM »
So, I've been looking inward a bit and it's possible my question is a little disingenuous. Here's the deal:

The Lexus probably makes more sense, since I'll be putting so few miles on it (20 miles a day plus side trips), I'm familiar with the engine having worked on my Prius for years, it's a more proven vehicle, and it costs half as much.

But I want the electric car. I want to glide down the road burning nothing, with a little heat pump keeping me warm in the winter. I want a way to justify it. If I charge for free at work, this could save me over $1000 per year! It would probably last years longer too (due to the difference in mileage)! It would probably cost way less to maintain due to the simplicity of electric drivetrains!

Perhaps, I'm horny for the electric car and it's clouding my judgement. I'm not factoring in the opportunity cost. I'm not truly thinking mustachian. I just want somebody to tell me I can buy the Kia!

So reality check, does this ring true? Am I looking for an excuse to fool myself into being a consumer sucka??

Then get the Niro EV. It's an excellent car and will have low operating costs. You'll just need to be prepared for longer stops on the occasional road trips.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
Very good price - how’s the condition? How many owners? Clean carfax? Maintenance records?

12 years old and 55k miles could be a fantastic bargain, or a nightmare, depending how it was cared for. That price seems very good, which either makes it a great bargain, or questionable.

VanillaGorilla

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »

I did a research dive into the CT200h years ago and came to a similar conclusion relative to the Prius. It's actually just a worse Prius with lipstick. An additional issue you didn't mention is the back seat legroom in the Lexus is abysmal.
Yes, exactly. However, I'm sure the interior is hugely nicer, which is my biggest complaint about the Prius, aside from the hyperactive traction control.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 08:38:56 AM »

Have you considered a new Bolt?  There's a 7.5k fed tax credit and many states have a state tax credit.  It may include home charger install.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
I bought a used 2008 Lexus HS 250h a few years back and love it.  I couldn't find a Prius under $10K/100K miles which was my criteria.  I think the only reason I was able to find the Lexus is because no one was really looking for it since IIRC they discontinued the style.  I'm also a toyota/lexus loyalist though and won't consider purchasing anything else.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »

Have you considered a new Bolt?  There's a 7.5k fed tax credit and many states have a state tax credit.  It may include home charger install.

I test drove the bolt and it just felt too... go-cart like. Maybe that's frivolous but I just didn't get a good feeling. Also, no incentives in my state.  ):

(There is a NJ state incentive fund but it is currently dry and will be for more than another year at least)

I have seen some bolts that I could probably get for close to $10k after the federal used rebate. Maybe I should suck it up and get a go-cart. Are they reliable? Another tick against this is that we're planning on growing our family in a year or so, so we'd probably want a little more space.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:39:39 AM by baconschteam »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 10:52:42 AM »
I really like the Niro.  Gets great reviews, and I think it's a reasonable price for what you get.  That's what I'd go with out of those two choices and plan on not replacing for quite a while (although I'd go with the PHEV version vs the EV).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2023, 09:39:23 AM »

The Kia Niro was not on the list of affected vehicles. They are also providing software updates to improve anti-theft capabilities for vehicles that are affected.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 09:42:21 AM by RWD »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2023, 06:26:38 AM »
Be sure to get the winter package if you get the Niro EV..it will help a lot with range in cold weather.

Road tripping will require a bit of planning until 2025.  Be sure to have three options for charge stops due to reliability of CCS network.

Some level of access(hopefully significant) to Tesla's charge network is supposed to happen in 2025 via adapter.  This will dramatically improve road trip capability.  We've used both networks(CCS and Tesla SC), and there is no comparison.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
These tax rebates for 'used' EVs seem crazy.

Can I really buy a new EV, claim the rebate, and sell it to my wife to claim the used rebate?

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2023, 11:19:05 AM »

Can I really buy a new EV, claim the rebate, and sell it to my wife to claim the used rebate?

No.

"Beginning January 1, 2023, if you buy a qualified used electric vehicle (EV) or fuel cell vehicle (FCV) from a licensed dealer for $25,000 or less, you may be eligible for a used clean vehicle tax credit (also referred to as a previously owned clean vehicle credit). The credit equals 30% of the sale price up to a maximum credit of $4,000."

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2023, 09:15:11 PM »

No.

"Beginning January 1, 2023, if you buy a qualified used electric vehicle (EV) or fuel cell vehicle (FCV) from a licensed dealer for $25,000 or less, you may be eligible for a used clean vehicle tax credit (also referred to as a previously owned clean vehicle credit). The credit equals 30% of the sale price up to a maximum credit of $4,000."

This is actually a good question. I was planning on buying through a private party using KeySavvy, which reports the sale to the IRS like a dealer (I suppose it is technically a dealer, online). You would have to wait at least two years for the Used EV Rebate to apply, but is there actually anything preventing this loophole?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2023, 09:01:58 AM »

No.

This is actually a good question. I was planning on buying through a private party using KeySavvy, which reports the sale to the IRS like a dealer (I suppose it is technically a dealer, online). You would have to wait at least two years for the Used EV Rebate to apply, but is there actually anything preventing this loophole?

This sounds like a loophole that, while not mentioned in the regulations of the IRA (section 26/A/1/A/IV/A/25E), would invite scrutiny. The IRS and Tax Court has wide discretion in how it interprets things.

Bad Idea.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2023, 09:37:31 PM »
OK, the Lexus is out, I want an EV. New contest:

2019 Kia Niro EV with 25k miles for $20k after tax rebate

or

2018 Tesla Model 3 with 25k miles for $20k after tax rebate

Does anybody have experience with both of these vehicles?

I've heard the Teslas can be unreliable, but are they still way more reliable than ICE cars? Looks like a much more fun car, but how will it affect my mustache?

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2023, 04:49:25 AM »
OK, the Lexus is out, I want an EV. New contest:

2019 Kia Niro EV with 25k miles for $20k after tax rebate

or

2018 Tesla Model 3 with 25k miles for $20k after tax rebate

Does anybody have experience with both of these vehicles?

I've heard the Teslas can be unreliable, but are they still way more reliable than ICE cars? Looks like a much more fun car, but how will it affect my mustache?

I own both, will share thoughts tonight. OK, here goes.

We bought a Kia Niro EV in February of 2022.  It was our only car.  We like(d) the car a lot; so much that we decided to get an EV for our 2nd car when we needed one.  We stayed away from Tesla because of what we had "heard".  December 2022, we test drove a M3.  Minds blown.  After experiencing driving and DC fast charging in the Kia Niro for almost a year, a Tesla is just on a totally different level.  We got into the M3 and the Tesla dude told us to push the charge icon on the screen.  All Tesla chargers within range of the vehicle based on current state of charge lit up in red, while those out of range showed but were in grey.  There were dozens.  Hundreds.  Too many to count.  The integration of Tesla SC's with the car is amazing, user friendly, and flawless.  Click on a charge location and it shows how many stalls, how many are open, charger speed i.e. 150 kW or 250 kW, and nearby attractions i.e. food, drink, etc.

With Tesla, you can literally just jump in the car and drive with no planning needed.  Just voice command where you want to go and the car plots the route along with any charging stops needed.  The car will automatically precondition the battery while en-route to the charger to allow the fastest charging(a cold battery can't take as fast of a charge).  Obviously, some planning will be beneficial such as charging to full the night before a trip, and maybe picking a hotel with a destination charger where you can top off while you sleep, etc.  But you can actually just get in the car and go anywhere, anytime.

Not so in the Kia.  The CCS network is not in the same universe as Tesla SC.  If you take a trip in the Kia, you should have three different locations to choose from for charging, minimum.  The reliability is really hit or miss.  If the station isn't completely out of order, there will probably be some stalls that aren't working.  Or you can't get the credit card reader to work.  Or it won't communicate with your car.  As I said, have a backup, and a backup to the backup.  With Tesla, you just back up to the charger, grab the handle, plug it in, done. Over 99% uptime on their chargers.

Our Kia's *MAX* charge speed is 75 kW, so it often only charges at maybe 50 kW after maybe 50%, I forget exactly as we don't really drive long distance in it anymore.  The Tesla will charge at 250 kW at low state of charge.

Ok, maybe you don't want to road trip frequently.  Tesla will be more efficient for local driving.  My car has averaged about 4.1 miles/kWh vs our Niro at around 3.5.  17% more efficient over the lifetime of the car will add up, IMO.

Range.  Our Kia does really quite good around town, but on the highway, the larger battery and higher efficiency REALLY add up.

Lets talk worst case scenario.

Kia, 239 mile range.  Highway 70+ constant speed, you are down to about 190-200, but you don't want to drive to 0%.  Throw in really cold weather, you are under 150 miles.  Wait, you charged to 80% at your last stop, because it takes forever to charge past 80%.   OK, <120 miles now.  Better hope there's a functional charger in range. 

With Tesla in this worst case scenario, you will still have a good 200 miles range.

We like the Kia a lot.  If we had to do it over again, we would have bought a Tesla from the start.  It's just a *drastically* better EV when you consider the total package.  If we get access to Tesla's network in 2025, it will be a big improvement but still won't have Tesla's flawless, user friendly integration.

Disclaimer.  Our 2023 build quality/QC/panel alignment etc is very very good.  Road/wind/tire noise is very good.  Not a single squeak or rattle in 18k miles.  I've been told 2018-2023 is totally different in terms of build quality, so I'd be sure to do a good test drive and look over the car carefully to make sure your ok with any potential cosmetic build quality issues, and that you are happy with the ride and NVH aspects of the car as I can't speak to them.

We bought the Kia when Tesla prices were much higher so new would have been out of the question but we'd buy a used Tesla over a new KIA if we could go back.  Again, we still like the car and will keep it for a long time.

The Tesla offers much better one pedal driving than the Kia.  It's tricky to not *have* to use the brake from time to time in the Kia.....you really have to carefully time when to pull the paddle on the steering wheel to bring the car to a complete stop...then if you let off a bit because you are stopping to short, it rolls too much and won't stop in time with the paddle and you have to press the break.  It's just not smooth, easy, and intuitive like the Tesla.

The VESS sound is too loud on the Kia.  Depending on year, the backup sound on the Kia is obnoxious...like a dump truck backing up.  Do you back out of your driveway with close neighbors early in the morning?  If so, they might hate you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 05:22:37 PM by EchoStache »

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:09 PM »
@EchoStache Thank you so much for the detailed reply!!

I had not even been considering a Tesla because I didn't realize until recently that a used model 3 could be in my price range (under $25k therefore eligible for used EV rebate). Feels a little fancy for what I'm used to but maybe it's just a really good car. Today I just missed a deal on a beautiful silver one, somebody bought it before I could go check it out, but now I'm on the hunt. Looking for something with less than 30k miles.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2023, 09:31:49 PM »
FYI, Tesla repairs are still a problem, IME. A close friend had his Model 3 crashed into by a **golf cart**. The golf cart drove away, we had to use body tools to cut the remnants of the plastic bumper clear of the tires.

The frame was bent just enough that the charging port was moved; it took maneuvering to get the charging port bent enough so that the charger would lock into place.

That was in Sept. 2022. It took more than 4 months for the "Tesla-approved" body shop to have capacity to assess the damage. They wavered between totalling the car (which was less than a year old when hit) and repairing the car. The insurance agency (USAA) finally decided to repair it. And it then took another 8 months for the parts to be made available from the factory, and the repairs to be done.

For the **11 months** that our friend was without the car, he still had a car payment to make.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla until their supply chain for repairs and parts was more in line with a real car company.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »
@Sandi_k

Thanks for the anecdote. That is awful! Sounds like a joke.

Yeah, that's a big concern for me with the Tesla, very worried about the proprietary nature of everything. Maybe it's rolling the dice a bit more than buying from a manufacturer that's been making (and servicing) cars for decades.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2023, 07:10:32 AM »

The Kia Niro was not on the list of affected vehicles. They are also providing software updates to improve anti-theft capabilities for vehicles that are affected.

While this is true the Kia Boyz aren't looking at a list of effected vehicles, they are looking for Kias. I'm on the Kia subreddit because I have a Sorento and while the cars aren't being stolen they are still being broken into and they are trying to steal them. It obviously depends on where you live though. Big cities are definitely more likely to have this as an issue.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 09:57:08 AM »

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Will look into this today.
Do we (mustachians) even buy insurance on these vehicles? Insurance is like gambling, and the insurance co is the house. On average they will win by ~10% plus costs, so you should only insure against catastrophic financial damage. There's no way I'd insure a $6,000 car. In fact my personal cutoff is $25,000, which will grow with inflation and increasing NW.

(I do keep very high deductible high limit liability insurance though. The cost of a $6,000 dollar car is capped at $6,000, but liability could go really high.)

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2023, 11:13:08 AM »
@Radagast we have liability but do not insure our vehicles.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2023, 05:40:03 PM »
I did test drive the Niro.  It's a nice car, but I found the acceleration to be lacking compared with my Mazda.  But I otherwise wouldn't have any hesitations about it.  Particularly as a commuter car.

I did end up with a Tesla Y.  It's a nice car too, and I don't have a hesitation about recommending one. 

I would go with the Tesla if they're a comparable price point.  It's just a more versatile vehicle.  I would go with the Niro only if there were material savings.

Test drive both.  They drive very differently, and you may develop a preference based on controls and driving. 

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 06:20:05 AM »
This past weekend I took delivery of my 2022 Kia Niro EV EX. It has about 20k miles on it and cost $18k after the used EV rebate (which was applied at the time of sale). So far, it is awesome. Very fun and practical, and hopefully it will be reliable.

The Teslas seem to have more problems from the factory, and replacement parts and service seem too expensive. I also didn't want something that feels like a status symbol or some kind of meme. The Kia seems a bit more unassuming.

With my short commute (10 miles each way) I probably would have been better off financially finding an old but lowish mileage gen 2 Prius, but I'm very happy with the Kia.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 08:19:35 AM »
Congrats! Should be a solid choice and hard to beat for that price.

Three Wolf Moon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 03:00:25 PM »
This past weekend I took delivery of my 2022 Kia Niro EV EX. It has about 20k miles on it and cost $18k after the used EV rebate (which was applied at the time of sale).

Did you end up using Keysavvy and getting the rebate from them?  Just wondering due to the earlier reply cautioning against it.

baconschteam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 06:35:57 AM »

Did you end up using Keysavvy and getting the rebate from them?  Just wondering due to the earlier reply cautioning against it.

Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.

No, I didn't. I purchase a used car from an out of state dealer. Shipping was arranged by them and was relatively cheap.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 07:49:29 AM »
This past weekend I took delivery of my 2022 Kia Niro EV EX. It has about 20k miles on it and cost $18k after the used EV rebate (which was applied at the time of sale).

I sold a car a couple of weeks ago through Keysavvy and the process could not have been smoother. I received $7500 for my gen 1 Chevy Volt and the buyer paid $5250 plus fees. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the process.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!