Author Topic: Keeping a current short-term job on a resume?  (Read 4504 times)

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Keeping a current short-term job on a resume?
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
For all those out there in the HR world / who just know about these things:

I'm 28 and have worked for three companies since college.  The first I worked for four years (great job, left to move to NYC with my wife), the second I worked for a year and a half (not so great a job - an election consultant that I was laid off from following the 2012 election - but I have a good contact there who has and will act as a reference for me), and now I'm currently in my third job and just six weeks in, it's already very apparent that I need to get out (it's a job for a start-up department at a university and the gentleman I work for is making my life a living hell - to the point where I am losing sleep).

My question is - I was at my previous job until December 2012 and my current job started in April 2013.  Am I better off keeping my current job off my resume while I job hunt now (in which case it will appear that I've been unemployed for five months) or would I be better putting the current job on the resume (in which case it will show that I'm job hunting after just over a month in my new job).  I'm fully expecting to hear "just stick it out for a year" but you just have to trust me that this is not one of those situations.

Thanks for any help, Mustachians!

Dynasty

• Stubble
Re: Keeping a current short-term job on a resume?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
I don't want to steer you the wrong way.

One thing to keep in mind is a resume is not a legal document. You could put down your current occupation as Astronaut if you wanted.

A job application is a legal document, and if it were found out you really weren't an astronaut you'd be fired.

For periods of time of six months or so it is okay to smooth out the dates on your resume so there are no gaps. 

Job applications need to be pretty accurate, and I would include the job you've been at for six weeks on that.

phoxygen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »
I'm not in HR, but I do regularly review resumes, interview, and hire candidates. I would leave it off and if they ask what you have been doing you indicate you are working in a temporary position while you pursue other opportunities. A resume is supposed to highlight your positives, and leaving a position after a few months would be a bit of red flag (although your position is understandable).

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
My favorite blog for HR questions is called Ask A Manager, I think she's addressed this before. Lots of good info there.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
I stayed at one job for just five months. When I resigned, I found out that two others resigned the same day. That did not look good for our boss. Later, she got fired. Then, her boss disappeared. Then, the president disappeared after only a few months. A guy at the agency I managed had once been thrown in jail by the FBI for misusing election funds. I just knew I needed to Get Out.

Thankfully, one interviewer saw the place on my resume and said, "Oh, I hear that place is a mess. I worked with someone who worked there. I don't expect you to say anything bad about the place in an interview." She kindly let me off the hook, and I learned that word about bad companies does get around.

Unfortunately, I then left that place to go to another mess of a place. I made two poor decisions in a row! Ugh. I lasted two years. I felt like I had to stay after the first fiasco-of-a-place.

But, you know what is important? More important than this one job where you have a toxic situation? You have to go in and DO THE JOB. Do not sit back and wait for them to ask you questions. Do your research and go in with a report or a PPT to show them exactly what you would do for them. This has won me many job offers and led me to the fantastic job I have today. =-)