Author Topic: Keep Car or Get Another One?  (Read 2540 times)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Keep Car or Get Another One?
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the 6 speed DCT automatic transmission.  If anyone has a 2012-2016 Focus with the auto trans you probably know of all the issues they have.  I just got mine back from the dealer.  The transmission control module (TCM) went out and left me stranded.  This is the second time in a year.  Fortunately the TCM is under warranty, but I am tired of towing this car to the dealer.  This is the third time since owning the car that it has been in the shop for transmission issues.  I am debating getting rid of it and going with something more reliable.  I am torn because the Focus is paid off and I really like it other than the transmission.  My wife wants me to get something else.  What would you folks do?  I want a hatchback because I haul my mt. bike in it.  I just don't want to fork over the cash for another car.

Thanks!

Llewellyn2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Keep Car or Get Another One?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
I'd sell it and buy a secondhand Corolla with the proceeds. They're boring cars if cars are your thing but they just keep going and going. We bought a 2006 model 4 years ago and apart from consumable items we haven't had to spend a penny on repairs in 60,000km.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:54 PM »
What is the Focus worth? Personally I wouldn't want to be at the dealer often and have to worry about being stranded. I'd try to do as even of a trade as possible - if the car is worth $10k, buy a different car that's $10k.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:44:33 AM »
If you like the Focus and don't drive much, the electric hatchback version doesn't have a transmission at all and is pretty nice to drive-as long as you don't have to go far. They are pretty inexpensive new considering that you won't be buying gas.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:29:21 AM »
I would dump it. Between transmission problems in the base models and engines crapping out due to the floating head design in the Focus RS, those cars are going to be a giant black spot on the Consumer Reports ratings.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I have a 2014 Focus and haven't had anywhere near the issues you have. Are you aware of the class action lawsuit?

However, yes, I'd get rid of it. I only have mine still because I haven't had big issues (yet), though it's pretty pathetic that my car has 26k miles and transmission doesn't work quite right, again. Check into the lawsuit, if there's any chance you can get Ford to buy it back that would be ideal.

Chevy Cruize has a hatch version now. Their sedans are good, no idea what the hatch looks like. They came out with it a year after I dumped my VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI. (Yes, I have great taste in defective cars!)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Sibley, I am aware of the class action lawsuit.  I really haven't looked into too much but it looks like you have to had a specific amount of work done to the clutches on the trans before the lawsuit takes effect.  I had my clutches replaced once, which I think does not get you into the lawsuit.  Not sure though.

I believe I'm going to sell it and get something else.  I like the Mazda 3s, but have to do some research to make sure they are not lemons.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
Volts are getting cheap and they're very fun to drive. They seem to have been extremely reliable. Worth a test drive if you have a place to plug one in.