Author Topic: Keep all the nice things?  (Read 4039 times)

layzbones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Keep all the nice things?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
For those of you who converted from a nice cushy spendy lifestyle to a badass lifestyle - did you get rid of a bunch of the high dollar items from your spendypants days?  With my main focus on being getting my relatively small CC debt out of the way putting some choice items on CL seems like an easy option.  Did you start looking around and instead of seeing a beautifully sleek 55" LED TV did you just see a big stack of dollars or a few months of CC payments?  Would keeping these things around work against the lifestyle that I'm working so hard to create for myself?

Sunflower

• Stubble
Re: Keep all the nice things?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »
I don't have nice things but if I did, I would surely sell some of them. Check out this article for inspiration: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/22/how_to_sell_silver/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
It sounds like you have "bad" CC debt, in which case yes, sell the things.  But if not, consider that MMM himself lives a cushy life on a small budget partly due to the fact that he's already bought all the "toys" he wants.  If any of the toys are in the "buy it for life" category, it may make sense to keep.

layzbones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
If any of the toys are in the "buy it for life" category, it may make sense to keep.

Fortunately I think that the important ones do fall into this category.  Being a cyclist, I spent a good bit of cash on quality cycling gear, including all the gear and clothing needed to commute very comfortably, I have a commuter bike that I love (Trek District belt drive single speed) and a nice mountain that actually spends a lot of time going up and down mountains.  This stuff should last a long time and it will make the transition easier I think.

Things on the chopping block for sure - stupid remote controlled car that I still question how I talked myself into spending $400 on (going to be paying a $100-$150 stupid tax on that one). Big TV in the bedroom and robotic vacuum (WTF was I thinking??).  I'm sure I'll find more as I start unboxing from the recent move.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
The things that you'll get some value out of from using regularly, I'd say you should generally keep even if you wouldn't purchase them new if you had to do it over again, as you're unlikely to get much cash in return.  The things that you'll get little to no value out of using, sell regardless of the price (or donate).

Arbor33

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
Depends on your debt really.

I'm of the mentality that all tools should be kept unless you have multiple instances of them in which case, you can sell the duplicates. If the nice stuff you have falls under the "time waster" category, sell that sucker yesterday.

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
I'm keeping the nice things that will last me a lifetime and won't cost me anything to maintain. I enjoy those things for now but also consider them a store of value, meaning that I won't hesitate to sell them of I ever need the money.