Author Topic: Just Want Some Feedback Off You Guys  (Read 6384 times)

MrNoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just Want Some Feedback Off You Guys
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:56:08 AM »
Right now I'm in one of those once in a lifetime positions. I'm currently getting out of the Navy on a medical discharge. I have about four grand saved up and 50% of my GI Bill. I have about 17000 in student loans.

My friend is thinking about moving from our hometown in Georgia to California to be closer to his girlfriend. I was thinking about going with him since it'd be a once in a lifetime chance to live somewhere else. I plan to work full time and am considering grad school since the GI bill pays for half of it.

My question is, do you guys think I should stay in Georgia or should I take the chance in Cali where I'll have little to no connections?  I'd have to buy a used car and work full time but what are you guys experiences on living alone in a different state while also trying to save for retirement?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Just Want Some Feedback Off You Guys
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:34:54 AM »
Where in Ga? Where in California?

I'm in Gwinnett County area and have been in "Atlanta" since I was a kid, 1994.

If I could choose between Georgia and California - I'd pick California. I loved visiting LA and really enjoyed my time there.

But, I don't know what your real life plans or opportunities are.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
it'd be a once in a lifetime chance to live somewhere else.

Why is this a 'once in a lifetime decision?' I would think that as an adult with no more obligation to the military, you can live wherever you want, whenever you want. If it seems like a good opportunity, then go for it. But don't cloud your judgment with emotionally charged phrases like this.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
It's not really a once in a lifetime chance unless you make it that, you could always move later.    For it me depends a lot on where in California and what you will do there.   No point moving to be a bum for a few months then heading home, but if you have as plan and are going to the right place it could definitely work out.    Comparing my actual experience with California with my imagined Georgia based on popular culture (totally valid data no doubt...  /s) it would be easy for me to choose the better parts of CA.   But only you really know what you want, and what you expect when you get there.

So a better starting point is with those few questions I sprinkled in there.   Where in California, and what are your job prospects there?    It isn't all coastal high life $$$, the central valley may as well be Mississippi, both economically and culturally. What are you looking for from those experience?    If it's a financially viable and advantageous long term relocation, then you have more planning to do before deciding.  If it's adventure on a whim, well hey you're young and feel like it.  Knock yourself out and have fun!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »
Unless your life expectancy is less than a year, I don't consider a move to California a "once in a lifetime opportunity".  California isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

There are a lot of details missing. 

How are you intending to make payments on your student loans?

Will you be able to find a job in CA to meet monthly living expenses and student loan payments?

I'm assuming a medical discharge will include a monthly VA disability payment.

What will it cost for you to move there?  What would cost for you to move back if you hate  it?

I personally love California and I lived there for a little while when I was about 18.  It is one of my favorite places to visit, but I would not want to ever live there again.  Visit? Yes. Change my address?  No.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
Whichever one you choose, you can always move again later if it doesn't work.  Just choose the one that sounds more interesting to you right now... personally, living in a new place helps people grow.  My vote is for California.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »
FIRST in your lifetime opportunity, not ONCE.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
Move to CA and never look back.

Just a word of advice - not all places in CA are like those you see in the movies or see on TV shows.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »

Just a word of advice - not all places in CA are like those you see in the movies or see on TV shows.

This is important.  Don't follow your friend to Bakersfield.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:22:45 PM »
Or Fresno, or El Centro, or Needles, or Blythe. Hey, this could be fun. Native Californian here, where else should OP not move in our fair state?

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
Right now I'm in one of those once in a lifetime positions. I'm currently getting out of the Navy on a medical discharge. I have about four grand saved up and 50% of my GI Bill. I have about 17000 in student loans.

My friend is thinking about moving from our hometown in Georgia to California to be closer to his girlfriend. I was thinking about going with him since it'd be a once in a lifetime chance to live somewhere else. I plan to work full time and am considering grad school since the GI bill pays for half of it.

My question is, do you guys think I should stay in Georgia or should I take the chance in Cali where I'll have little to no connections?  I'd have to buy a used car and work full time but what are you guys experiences on living alone in a different state while also trying to save for retirement?

A few thoughts/questions:

What were your final DoD and VA ratings? That would help us understand the financial landscape. RE your medical care, it would be wise to research DoD or VA hospitals and clinic locations in CA as well.

Have you established a TSP account? If not, I recommend opening one, even with minimum deposits. I'm not an expert on rolling civilian dollars into a TSP post-separation but I think it can be done. You may also end up as a civilian federal employee and still be able to contribute to your TSP.

RE grad school in CA - I know SDSU is very veteran friendly and some programs offer Yellow Ribbon scholarships. I had a friend complete a graduate degree in the Homeland Security program (https://homelandsecurity.sdsu.edu/) and that degree (along with his TS/SCI) landed him a job at $100K+ per year. Note - most grad schools require a GRE or GMAT, you may be able to take those exams free while on Active Duty.

If you are thinking grad school - why not stay in Georgia or relocate to a low cost of living area while in school where your GI Bill $$ goes further?

If not grad school, are you actively networking now (LinkedIn etc)? Without knowing your separation timeline, have you considered the E2I program or OWF for DoD sponsored transition internships while still on Active Duty (see attachment)?

California can be expensive (depending on location). Not sure what your goals are RE owning property but that may be something to investigate too (the CA real estate situation). 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:49:26 PM by mgnhrvth »

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
Or Fresno, or El Centro, or Needles, or Blythe. Hey, this could be fun. Native Californian here, where else should OP not move in our fair state?

It's easy for me, the general rule is that if I'd actually like to live there i definitely can't afford it :-)

MrNoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »

A few thoughts/questions:

What were your final DoD and VA ratings? That would help us understand the financial landscape. RE your medical care, it would be wise to research DoD or VA hospitals and clinic locations in CA as well.

Have you established a TSP account? If not, I recommend opening one, even with minimum deposits. I'm not an expert on rolling civilian dollars into a TSP post-separation but I think it can be done. You may also end up as a civilian federal employee and still be able to contribute to your TSP.

RE grad school in CA - I know SDSU is very veteran friendly and some programs offer Yellow Ribbon scholarships. I had a friend complete a graduate degree in the Homeland Security program (https://homelandsecurity.sdsu.edu/) and that degree (along with his TS/SCI) landed him a job at $100K+ per year. Note - most grad schools require a GRE or GMAT, you may be able to take those exams free while on Active Duty.

If you are thinking grad school - why not stay in Georgia or relocate to a low cost of living area while in school where your GI Bill $$ goes further?

If not grad school, are you actively networking now (LinkedIn etc)? Without knowing your separation timeline, have you considered the E2I program or OWF for DoD sponsored transition internships while still on Active Duty (see attachment)?

California can be expensive (depending on location). Not sure what your goals are RE owning property but that may be something to investigate too (the CA real estate situation). 

Good luck!
That's one of the main delimmas. The GI bill mainly makes it so I don't pay out of state tuition. Meaning as an unhinged 22 year old with no real commitments, I could go to school anywhere in America which is an opportunity most people don't have.

The name might be off but my friend was trying to live in a place called Padena? It's about thirty minutes from LA if I remember correctly.

I currently am still doing my checkout process for the navy. I don't know what my rating will be but I will be claiming my knees. Other people said claim Erectile Dysfunction but I had a few problems with the moral Implications.

That's mainly it. I'm not necessarily moving for job prospects, it's really more along the lines of adding more tales and adventures to my life in a productive and conductive fashion.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »
If you are considering school as part of the move, it may be important to contact the school(s) in the area(s) for their admissions criteria. My experience with grad school was applying to fairly competitive programs at mid-to-high tier schools (for a degree that would give me pretty much zip in the earning potential department whoops) so not something that I could just show up for.

Important information that includes any entrance exam requirements (and minimum score thresholds, if applicable)  and other application materials like transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »
Yuba city, Clearlake, Merced among others I find undesirable for many reasons.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
Were you not in the Navy for very long? It just surprises me at the comment of "once in a lifetime chance to live somewhere else" if you've been in the military. I have a lot of military friends, and they've lived in multiple places around the world by 22. :)

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to randomly go out there. I would, however, suggest you get a plan before moving. With the wonderful thing called the internet, you don't have to physically be in the same state as a job to apply to it or even interview. If you want to go to school, start applying. Either way, you also can start looking for places to live online to get some ideas of options. Research the area where you would be going to. Keep in mind that cost of living is going to be higher in California than it is in Georgia. How much more depends on where you go in the state.

Remember too that moving to California doesn't have to be a once and done thing. If you don't like it or later on find another job you like that's elsewhere, you can move again. I was born and raised in Maryland and never moved out of it as a child, but in my adult life I've also lived in Texas, Hawaii, Japan, and now I'm currently living in Georgia. I'm only in my early 30's too. If you had asked me when I was 22 if I would ever live outside of Maryland, I would probably have told you that I would most likely always be in Maryland. Things change!

MrNoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
I was only in the Navy for about a year. In the time I was stationed in Japan which was amazing! It gave me the whole travel bug that you see with people and now I want to go see what else is out there before I start throwing kids and a career into the mix haha. One thing I intrinsically understand is my need for a degree which is why I raised the question. I could easily stay home and finish the degree, but right now since I have the GI Bill it has the added weight of allowing me to finish a degree WHILE I can live somewhere out of my comfort zone. And yeah that's one of the reasons I was asking. I would probably have to work full time if I want to have all of my loans and general other stuff paid off by the time I'm out and done with school. It's one of the reason I wanted to climb the mountain to ask the Guru Mustachians!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
That's one of the main delimmas. The GI bill mainly makes it so I don't pay out of state tuition. Meaning as an unhinged 22 year old with no real commitments, I could go to school anywhere in America which is an opportunity most people don't have.

I currently am still doing my checkout process for the navy. I don't know what my rating will be but I will be claiming my knees. Other people said claim Erectile Dysfunction but I had a few problems with the moral Implications.

That's mainly it. I'm not necessarily moving for job prospects, it's really more along the lines of adding more tales and adventures to my life in a productive and conductive fashion.
Please make sure the Navy doesn't hustle you out of the service until all of the medical discharge and VA disability claims paperwork is finished. 

While you're contemplating CA life, take a look at the state's benefits for military veterans: 
http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/california-state-veterans-benefits.html
http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/georgia-state-veterans-benefits.html
The university will also a veteran's benefits coordinator who can also help you get oriented & organized between the school's policies and your VA benefits.  You might also be able to figure out a way to pay off or refinance the student loans as part of your graduate degree, or even through Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

And if that ED is service-connected then you should claim it.  The military doesn't care about your moral implications of the condition, and if you claim it now then you can decide later if/how you'd like to treat it.  The VA has seen plenty of this type of claim, both moral and amoral.  At the very least, you'll get the process of "education and reassurance" which can help you make an informed choice.

And, hey, if you're going to be in California then hopefully you'll learn to surf!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:52:11 PM by Nords »

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »

This is important.  Don't follow your friend to Bakersfield.

That's BAT country!

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
Yuba city, Clearlake, Merced among others I find undesirable for many reasons.

Stockton... Richmond... Barstow... San Bern... Riverside... Victorville...

Richmond was like something out of a Snake Pliskin flick...

mgnhrvth

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
It sounds like you have a lot choices when it comes to the graduate school choices and payment options. Can you share what your undergrad degree was in? Or what you may be looking to go to grad school for?

No matter what you are being referred for (your fit/unfit 'medically disqualifying condition'), you should claim any service connected conditions for ratings and Veteran coverage from the VA. I'm pretty sure the Navy medical assets in Georgia are covered by Naval Hospital Jacksonville. I know there is a staff JAG (attorney) at the hospital that can review and advise you on the MEB/PEB referral process and if you should accept or appeal your ratings etc. 

You asked your question in a MMM forum so I think most of the answers will be from a MMM perspective. This is not a bad thing and I think most here will advocate for options that accomplish your desire for adventure and smart financial decisions (or at least minimal debt).