Author Topic: Just switched internet providers, modem question!  (Read 6971 times)

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
Just switched internet providers, modem question!
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »
Hi there!

To save some money every month, I switched to CenturyLink for their internet service. I pay $35/month for 25Mbps. They set me up with a VDSL modem, but they are going to charge me a monthly lease fee for the modem. I'd like to buy my own modem so I don't have to pay the leasing fee every month.

I just purchased the TP-Link TD-8616 before they set up my internet, but I guess that's an ADSL2+ instead of a VDSL. No idea what the difference is, or if I can use that instead of buying yet another modem. I'm not an expert in this area at all. I did have a Motorola Surfboard for my Brighthouse internet, but CenturyLink uses DSL instead of coax. Any suggestions on which modem to purchase? Also, I'll need help setting up the new modem in bridge mode to connect to my Apple Time Capsule I already own.

If anyone could help, that would be amazing! Thanks!

mandy_2002

• Bristles
Re: Just switched internet providers, modem question!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
I don't have the technical knowledge that you're seeking, but whenever companies have this leasing fee, they typically also have an option (though not always advertised) to buy the modem.  I've bought two in 8 years, and each time it cost just shy of a year of leasing. 

My suggestion is that you ask the company about your options.  If you get a nice technical service agent, they may tell you which Best Buy version will work for you so you can compare.  I wouldn't count on this, but if you're calm and amiable, they may be as well.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks! I've looked into this as well and they would sell me the current modem for $100. At $8/month to lease the modem, it would pay for itself in a year, but I'm looking to buy one even cheaper if I can! The modem I bought on Amazon was only $25. If I could get that to work that'd be ideal. Hopefully someone can help me out! Thanks for the advice!

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:39:24 AM »
http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-compatibility-table.html

Check that out.  Do some cross referencing with Amazon for prices.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
ADSL2+ modems should theoretically be compatible with CenturyLink's under 24Mbps plans, even if they're not on the supported vendor list. There's plenty of current reports of people around the internet using non-approved ADSL2+ modems with CenturyLink. It's just a matter of configuration, so configure your TP-Link modem with your credentials and the needed DSL settings (maybe give CenturyLink support a call), and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't work and you have to buy a $50 modem instead.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
If you have to buy one, try craigslist. Someone has just switched to cable and wants to unload their "approved vendor" VDSL modem.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:53 AM »
ADSL2+ modems should theoretically be compatible with CenturyLink's under 24Mbps plans, even if they're not on the supported vendor list. There's plenty of current reports of people around the internet using non-approved ADSL2+ modems with CenturyLink. It's just a matter of configuration, so configure your TP-Link modem with your credentials and the needed DSL settings (maybe give CenturyLink support a call), and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't work and you have to buy a $50 modem instead.

WOuld the modem I bought (TP-Link TD-8616) be compatible with my $25Mbps service from Century Link? I've tried hooking it up based on a couple of the amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034JSYZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I can't seem to get it working.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
WOuld the modem I bought (TP-Link TD-8616) be compatible with my $25Mbps service from Century Link? I've tried hooking it up based on a couple of the amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034JSYZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I can't seem to get it working.

So long as you're subscribing to their 20Mbps or slower service, it should work. Here's detailed settings for CenturyLink with this modem from the most popular Amazon review, and further detailed settings are here from another user if they don't quite work. Here's another that states that it should be identified internally at CenturyLink as an Embarq modem. There's also plenty of current reviews from others very recently that use it with CenturyLink, so it's clearly just a matter of getting the firmware updates installed and getting the settings right (especially VPI/VCI), and it'll probably be best to set the username and password in the modem itself.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
Thanks, I.P. Daley. Unfortunately, I signed up for their 25Mbps service, as it was the same cost as their lower tiers.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
Thanks, I.P. Daley. Unfortunately, I signed up for their 25Mbps service, as it was the same cost as their lower tiers.

Well, most people really don't need much more than 3Mbps, so anything faster than that is gravy. Odds are, you're dealing with promo pricing anyway, and the price will eventually go up, and they count on hedonic adaptation and laziness to keep you on the more expensive tier once that promo price ends. That gives you two options, spend more money for another modem, or just select a slower package now instead of later so you can use what you already have.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
Thanks! So if I have them downgrade me, would I have to have them come back out to my house? Or should I just be able to use that router? And shouldn't I just be able to use that router, but only get 24Mbps instead of 25? Not sure if the cord going from the wall into the modem is a limiting factor.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
So if I have them downgrade me, would I have to have them come back out to my house? Or should I just be able to use that router? And shouldn't I just be able to use that router, but only get 24Mbps instead of 25? Not sure if the cord going from the wall into the modem is a limiting factor.

No. Yes. Not exactly. No.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »
So if I have them downgrade me, would I have to have them come back out to my house? Or should I just be able to use that router? And shouldn't I just be able to use that router, but only get 24Mbps instead of 25? Not sure if the cord going from the wall into the modem is a limiting factor.

No. Yes. Not exactly. No.

Thanks I.P. Daley. So I definitely have to have them downgrade me before my current modem (TP Link) will work?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
Thanks I.P. Daley. So I definitely have to have them downgrade me before my current modem (TP Link) will work?

That's the theory.