Author Topic: Just fired from job! Lots of questions.-Update!  (Read 11290 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Just fired from job! Lots of questions.-Update!
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »
The unofficial reason is that I am bad at temping. I was in between contracts for financial management. They put me on a temping contract until they could find me another financial management contract. The thing is that I am really bad at temping. No really. It's one of the reasons I went to grad school 7 years ago is that I was so bad at temping, I kept getting fired. I struggle with focus with data entry. So the temp job sent me back, and my company was really angry that they couldn't bill for me (make money off me until they found a new contract). What they officially told me is that they couldn't find any new contracts for me. Before this I had been doing really well and had just gotten a 6% raise. Also I was actually trying really hard to do well at the temping job. So that's frustrating.

First question: recruiters get really crazy about reasons why you were let go. I still am asked why I was let go from a job 5 years ago. I'm thinking about saying something like: "well the unofficial reason is that I was fired for being bad at temping, officially because their contracts fell through." What do people think about that? My experience is that recruiters that are only somewhat interested in me will dig and dig for information that would incriminate myself.  Recruiters that are very interested don't usually even ask about it.

Next issue: I have a contingent offer. I have been interviewing a lot and one of the companies said they were interested if they won the contract. They won the contract, and I did three interviews. They told me a salary amount and I negotiated to get it higher. They said OK. Today they sent me an offer contingent on final approval from the agency. I signed/ sent it and the person I am working with is out of town until Monday.

There was a company that I had turned down for an interview because I didn't think I would be happy there. They asked me to let them know if things changed. Should I contact them? There was also another company that I turned down because I had signed a contract saying I wouldn't work for them as long as I was at the company I was at until today. They also asked me to let them know if things changed. Should I contact them? Should I just sit tight until I hear from the contingent offer? I'm worried the agency will decide they hate me or something. There were 3 other companies who I had been interviewing with but they disappeared.

Any thoughts/ advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:10:11 AM by mozar »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Just fired! Lots of questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
Thanks! That made me smile.

My former employer sent me to a temping job, to wait for the next contract.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Just fired from job! Lots of questions.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »
First question: recruiters get really crazy about reasons why you were let go. I still am asked why I was let go from a job 5 years ago. I'm thinking about saying something like: "well the unofficial reason is that I was fired for being bad at temping, officially because their contracts fell through." What do people think about that? My experience is that recruiters that are only somewhat interested in me will dig and dig for information that would incriminate myself.  Recruiters that are very interested don't usually even ask about it.

I wouldn't do that. Why give them the unofficial reason that makes you look bad when the official version reflects badly on your former employer, but not you?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
Because some recruiters are mean, and I could give them "bad information" about myself so I can discern more quickly who is interested and who is not, and mean recruiters will leave me alone more quickly. I don't know. I'm so exhausted from interviewing since June.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »
The thing is that I am really bad at temping. No really. It's one of the reasons I went to grad school 7 years ago is that I was so bad at temping, I kept getting fired. I struggle with focus with data entry. So the temp job sent me back, and my company was really angry that they couldn't bill for me (make money off me until they found a new contract). What they officially told me is that they couldn't find any new contracts for me. Before this I had been doing really well and had just gotten a 6% raise. Also I was actually trying really hard to do well at the temping job. So that's frustrating.

Getting fired from a crappy job because you don't care about it is one thing, but if you're trying really hard and still can't make yourself do it there's something wrong. I suggest going to see a psychiatrist and getting checked out for ADD.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
Sorry about the firing, it sucks no matter how much you disliked the job.

I would wait until Monday and follow up on the contingent offer.  A few reasons: it's the job you really want, it gives you a few days' break (you don't want to be feeling high-strung when seeking other job opportunities, and getting fired can have that effect on one's nerves), and you don't want to contact those other companies if there's a good chance, in a few days, you'll say, "sorry, off the market again!"

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
Question 2) It sounds to me you should wait until Monday to see if the contingent offer still goes through (I am assuming that this was through the agency that just fired you). It may be the agency just didn't want to pay you between contracts until you were temping/generating revenue for them so you being "fired" may just be a temporary layoff. If by Tuesday next week it becomes clear that the agency is still in their "you're fired for good" position then I would call all other companies who were interested.

Question 1) Give answers to recruiters that short & sweet that DON'T reflected negatively on yourself. Saying the agency lost the contract or the work dried up or you found something better is acceptable. Saying you are bad at temping conveys that you might have poor attention to detail, you don't play well with others, or any other number of things. You can also change your resume to just say years instead of months so the gaps are less noticable.

Hang in there. Just remember that this is one of the side benefits of a stache/low spending before your hit FI, to weather these periods of income uncertainty.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:43:06 AM »
I don't think I have ADD. I have been working through depression/ anxiety. I couldn't focus at the level every one else was at the temp job, even though my focus has improved dramatically over the past year. The other people were like robots. I don't think they even went to the bathroom or looked away from their computer once.
In my regular accounting job my output had been good and improving, but my tasks are often complex, and people understand it takes time.

I am assuming that this was through the agency that just fired you

No, I'm fired for good. The contingent offer is for a different company.

I would wait until Monday and follow up on the contingent offer.

Ok, I will.

Just remember that this is one of the side benefits of a stache/low spending before your hit FI, to weather these periods of income uncertainty

Yes! I am so proud of my baby stache. And I can live off unemployment without having to cut back (I wish I could live off it forever and not go back to work).

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
I would just say the contract you were on ran out.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
Hey Mozar, I always enjoy your posts and I'm sorry to hear about your layoff. Hang in there. Make sure you get plenty of exercise. Don't sleep in late. Your new job is looking for a job, and in my experience, it's the hardest job there is.

I'm thinking about saying something like: "well the unofficial reason is that I was fired for being bad at temping, officially because their contracts fell through."
No. Try, "I enjoyed working there, but their contract fell through, and I was let go along with
  • other people." That's all you need to say.
My experience is that recruiters that are only somewhat interested in me will dig and dig for information that would incriminate myself.  Recruiters that are very interested don't usually even ask about it.
That's your insecurity and personal selection bias influencing your perception. Recruiters look for people who won't flake out and can make it through at least 90 days, which is usually how long a person has to work before the recruiting fees (or performance metrics for internal recruiters) are due. You just need to make it through the recruiter, then you can interview with the hiring manager. That's the real interview.

Next issue: I have a contingent offer.
[...]
There was a company that I had turned down for an interview because I didn't think I would be happy there. They asked me to let them know if things changed. Should I contact them?
There was also another company that I turned down. Should I contact them?
Yes! Starting a new job runs in seven discrete phases: apply for the job, pass the screening interview (usually by phone with a recruiter), pass the hiring manager interview, pass the big boss interview, negotiate salary and benes, sign the offer letter, and start work.

When I've been unemployed, I keep looking for jobs right up until I start work. I've had jobs drop out at every one of those phases. Yes, even after I had a signed offer letter. I showed up for the first day of work, to learn that they had laid off 50% of their staff the following Friday, forgot to tell me, and my role was cut a day before I even started. That was a fun day!

So, absolutely contact the other guys who might have a job for you. Worst case, you have multiple jobs to pick from. You should never stop looking for a job.

I'm worried the agency will decide they hate me or something. There were 3 other companies who I had been interviewing with but they disappeared.
This is the worst part of being unemployed. It's depressing, sometimes disabling, and one of the hardest corners to fight yourself out of. Don't give in to the voice in your head telling you that you're no good. I've been there, man, I hear it. Do whatever it takes to put in at least six hours a day of solid job-searching until you start work. Eat well, get plenty of sleep, and take care of yourself.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »

I'd agree with this.  I've always just given fairly vague explanations for me parting with a former employer. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the support!

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »

I'd agree with this.  I've always just given fairly vague explanations for me parting with a former employer.
+1.  Keep it simple.  Repeat after me... "The contract ended".   Truth is always best.

Quote from: mozar
There was a company that I had turned down for an interview because I didn't think I would be happy  there. They asked me to let them know if things changed. Should I contact them?
Why not?  You don't have to like the company you work for, or even the work... that's why they PAY YOU to do the work.  In an 'ideal world', sure... but I'm a realist.  I bill as many hours as I can get away with. They pay me.  I go home at 5pm and don't look back until the next day.  If I want to be happy, I learned long ago to "Be Happy".

Quote from: mozar
There was also another company that I turned down because I had signed a contract saying I wouldn't work for them as long as I was at the company I was at until today. They also asked me to let them know if things changed. Should I contact them?
Hmmmm.... the definitive answer:  maybe.

My advice:  take the weekend, find a warm sandy beach, or other recreation that sends you to your Happy Place, and think about the sky, sand, friends & family, pets, read that book you've been wanting to dive into... "whatever gets you through your life" (as John Lennon wisely said).

It sounds like things are moving forward - things that aren't going to speed up or slow down because you (or anyone else) worried about them.  Your irons are in-the-fire - let them heat up.  If you look at your email at 10am Monday morning, and doors haven't already opened for you, then pursue some of these other ideas.

In the meantime... All The Best.  And realize there are other mustachians here who are in your corner rooting for YOU!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:12:23 PM by Mother Fussbudget »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Oh, I mean the word "happy" pretty loosely. I'm pretty sure 60hrs+ week and constant travel would be hard for me, but so far I have had other options.

The contract ended The contract ended The contract ended :-)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
Glad to hear you have so many options of getting a better job! There is no shame and it shouldn't be any surprise about doing poorly at a job you are poorly suited for. Data entry sounds like mind-numbing activity. I did pretty badly at some mind-numbing, hard labor jobs as a teenager that some blue-collar guys and gals had been doing successfully for 20+ years. I despised what their lives looked like to me (work all day with no mental challenge, go home and drink beer all night, repeat, and wait for those two glorious weeks of vacation each year to go hunting or fishing). I went on to a stellar professional career. The experience with the mind-numbing work did not define me or my abilities, at all.

Best wishes in landing the new position. I agree with everyone else: Give short, truthful answers with CONFIDENCE. Don't betray anything about being "bad" at temping or anything like that, although you could of course feel free to tell anyone that it was temporary employment en-route to your real career. And always do what is best for YOU in terms of whom to contact, when, what offer to consider, etc. You've got to look out for YOU -- no one else will. The companies have plenty of people looking out for them, don't worry about them.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
Ah, being fired! Not fun. But sometimes jobs--esp temp jobs--aren't a good fit. Keep it non incriminating and sell yourself hard. You have value and will find a better match for your skills, which happen to be at a higher level than data entry.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I did pretty badly at some mind-numbing, hard labor jobs as a teenager that some blue-collar guys and gals had been doing successfully for 20+ years.

Stories like that are very helpful.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
I was once fired from a temp job within a week because I showed up a few minutes late on two occasions. Now I make five or six times whatever that job would've paid, and I get to routinely show up 30 minutes late.

Real jobs are so much better.

Never ever tell an interviewer that you were fired with cause. They're selling themselves and the company just like you need to.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »
I did pretty badly at some mind-numbing, hard labor jobs as a teenager that some blue-collar guys and gals had been doing successfully for 20+ years.

Stories like that are very helpful.

I'm highly valued in my current job but my previous job (same organisation, different division) I was pretty average. High volume, highly detailed work is really not my strength and I made some mistakes which increased the workload of my team when we were already under pressure (I ended up in that particular team by accident - it's a tl;dr story). It was not a good feeling.

I admire people who can do highly repetitive, high volume and detailed work fast and with minimal errors (it's an essential skill for some jobs), but I am definitely not one of those people.

Edit: Forgot to say, best of luck with the job hunt! I think Mother FussBudget has some excellent advice.

And if you need to brush up your resume or cover letters, I highly recommend Ask A Manager. This link might be helpful:
http://www.askamanager.org/2012/12/if-youre-not-getting-interviews-read-this.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:04:32 PM by Astatine »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
thanks for the link.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
Great thread

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »
mozar, any word from the contingent offer company?  Fingers crossed for you!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »
No, I'm on pins and needles. The HR lady is supposed to come back today. I have a phone interview for a different job today as well.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
OK! I have something.

She said "We are going to be moving forward with the contract in the next few days.  Please lookout for my email containing the complete offer package. "

I thought I already got that but whatever. This is good!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
Alright! Keep looking, though.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
OK! I have something.

She said "We are going to be moving forward with the contract in the next few days.  Please lookout for my email containing the complete offer package. "

I thought I already got that but whatever. This is good!

Yay, cautiously optimistic!  Excited for you!  :)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »
Next update is that they asked me what was the earliest I could start (on Sept 28). I said October 5th. I haven't heard from them since.

So I want to file for unemployment this week. This requires that I contact 2 employers per week.
I had an interview last Monday and the recruiter required that I verbally commit to pulling out of my offer to even get a job description. I did and it turned out to be a job I wasn't suited for anyway.

Any advice for interviews, assuming I get any? I thought that was ridiculous, but recruiters seem to be getting more ridiculous. What would you do? Would you mention that you had accepted an offer or no?

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
Recruiters are just the first people you need to get through before you get to the actual decision makers. So don't tell them you have an offer in hand. You want to look like a model employee to the recruiter, and present zero barriers to hiring. You're available to start immediately.

Follow up with the "look for my offer package" person daily until you get a response. You're being way too passive about this. Be polite but don't wait for them to contact you. Use phone, email, and if it's local, show up in person. You would be surprised how often things like this get misplaced, forgotten, etc. It's a big deal for you but it's an every day event for HR.

You can meet the unemployment "contact" requirement just by blindly emailing your resume to someone, or filling out an application at an HR website. It's a very low bar. Apply for unemployment until you actually start at a new job, even if you get an offer.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »
Thanks for responding Axecleaver.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Just fired from job! Lots of questions.-Update!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »
Hello!
I feel like Gilgamesh, with all the trials I went through the past 3 months. I applied for unemployment, got turned tuned down, fought it and won. Interviewed at over 20 companies and got zero offers. Congress failed to pass a budget in a timely fashion which for me meant that fewer people could hire. I realized that my ability to waste time on the internet knows no bounds.
It's finally over. My start date for the offer I took in September is 1/4/16.
I am truly fortunate and blessed that I found this website/ forum. Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
Hello!
I feel like Gilgamesh, with all the trials I went through the past 3 months. I applied for unemployment, got turned tuned down, fought it and won. Interviewed at over 20 companies and got zero offers. Congress failed to pass a budget in a timely fashion which for me meant that fewer people could hire. I realized that my ability to waste time on the internet knows no bounds.
It's finally over. My start date for the offer I took in September is 1/4/16.
I am truly fortunate and blessed that I found this website/ forum. Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support.

Hugs, congratulations!  Glad you have a new challenge for the new year (and have had a break...  All urges for cute cat* videos fulfilled?  ;)

* Or dog videos.  Don't want to exclude, I am a dog person. :)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
I'm a dog person but I would be lying if I said I didn't stray into cat videos! But my urge to watch them is a bottomless pit...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
Yay for kittens!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
Well done! Congratulations! (omg, that kitten in a cup was cuuute)