Author Topic: Junkyard auto parts  (Read 1473 times)

acepedro45

• Bristles
Junkyard auto parts
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »
Is there a good way to see if an auto part on a given make/model/year car is compatible with another before you go on a parts pulling mission?

For example, I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla with a newly crimped hood. If I want to find a replacement hood in a junkyard, I am pretty sure any Corolla hood from 2003-2008 will fit...and maybe even beyond that age range. Similarly, since cars have so many suppliers in common these days, I am wondering if there are compact cars from other makers that might share the same hood.

Is there an easy way to all the vehicles with a compatible hood? Thanks!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Junkyard auto parts
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »
I know for sure that the junkyard will have this in their data base and will be able to tell you.  I was looking for a first gen Fusion mirror.  They sell an entire door for $50 and printed out all the cars they have whose doors will fit mine.

This is a pull your own kind of junkyard. 

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
I tried this one online but it didn't seem to list any compatible alternatives, just the lack of the specific car I'm looking for.

https://www.pullapart.com/

Maybe it's better to call and ask around.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:49 AM »
You can search for parts actually available that match your car and the part you want at http://www.car-part.com/ which should give you a sense of what the matching parts are. You might also find it useful for locating a junk yard with the part you want at a price you want. If it's not an exact match to model and year you might want to double check with the junk yard that the part will fit since I don't know how reliable the site is. I'm seeing listings for a corolla hood from 2000-2012, but I don't know if those really all match your 2005. I see lots of listings from 2003-2008, so I'd say that at least should be a pretty safe range. 

I doubt other models will match body panels unless it's a rebranded car like the old Toyota Corolla / Geo Prism pair (before your model year), but other parts could very well match, especially from the same manufacturer. I kind of thought there was a Chevy version of the Corolla from around your model year, but I don't remember if they looked exactly the same.

Edit: another option that's a good source for new parts is Rock Auto. Surprisingly they have a hood for only $77 https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2005,corolla,1.8l+l4,1433059,body,hood,1396 although it looks like shipping would be $150 to me, so that makes it quite a bit more expensive and it would be primed not painted, which would be good if you plan to paint it (less prep) but bad if you don't want to paint it (looking for a color match or not worrying about color).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:15:57 AM by terran »

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
The Hollander Interchange system keeps track of all of this info, unfortunately this requires a subscription. Visit (or call) a salvage yard and they'll tell you what's compatible along with part numbers. If you ask nicely, they may even print it out for you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!