Author Topic: Jobs with a Mechanical Engineering degree  (Read 6133 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Jobs with a Mechanical Engineering degree
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
I am wondering if any of y'all have experience job searching with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'm not sure what I should be searching for. Also, what job board(s) would be best? Since college I have been at one company, with my job roles as follows: Engineer, Project Engineer, Process Engineer, Supply Chain Coordinator. About 1 year in each role at a manufacturer of plastic films. Help!

Trede

• Stubble
Re: Jobs with a Mechanical Engineering degree
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
It sounds like in your company you've done a nice training rotation into various roles a mechanical engineer might take on.  Did any subject area of type of task appeal to you more than others?  For example, a process engineer is likely to do overall system design, calculate energy, heat, and mass balances to achieve a system output.  A project engineer would source the components or equipment needed to build the system and realize the design physically.  You may also be interested in a project manager role, which would oversee such a project for a client, manage its scope, budget and execution to make a profit. 

Often mechanical engineers favor the fluid mechanics and heat transfer side of the field or the more solid mechanics, kinetic motion, etc. side.  If you have a preference, that may help narrow your search.

Mechanical engineers also work in many industries.  Another way to source a new job is to consider what types of companies or products interest you.  Environmental systems, industrial systems (and in what: power or steam production, environmental equipment, petroleum refining, oil and gas production, etc.), consumer products, materials testing and research, etc.  Lots of ways to go in mechanical engineering (and yes, I am one).  Good luck!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
It sounds like in your company you've done a nice training rotation into various roles a mechanical engineer might take on.  Did any subject area of type of task appeal to you more than others?  For example, a process engineer is likely to do overall system design, calculate energy, heat, and mass balances to achieve a system output.  A project engineer would source the components or equipment needed to build the system and realize the design physically.  You may also be interested in a project manager role, which would oversee such a project for a client, manage its scope, budget and execution to make a profit. 

Often mechanical engineers favor the fluid mechanics and heat transfer side of the field or the more solid mechanics, kinetic motion, etc. side.  If you have a preference, that may help narrow your search.

Mechanical engineers also work in many industries.  Another way to source a new job is to consider what types of companies or products interest you.  Environmental systems, industrial systems (and in what: power or steam production, environmental equipment, petroleum refining, oil and gas production, etc.), consumer products, materials testing and research, etc.  Lots of ways to go in mechanical engineering (and yes, I am one).  Good luck!

I have a preference for non-theoretical tasks. I was a C student and haven't used any of my studies since I've been out of school (5 years now). Don't have a grasp of the physics anymore.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »
Fellow ME here.

Mechanical engineering is an extremely broad field with many very different specializations.  So the #1 thing is to determine what types of engineering tasks you enjoy and to narrow your search down.

For example, I also never really favored the theoretical side of engineering so jobs that involve fluid mechanics, stress analysis, and thermal cycles don't interest me at all.  But I'm really great thinking in three dimensions and doing creative problem solving.  So I started out by becoming a CAD expert to get my foot in the door at a design firm and grew that into a great career designing consumer products. 

Your background is nicely well-rounded from a management perspective, and definitely has a strong manufacturing spin to it.  In my experience that would look pretty appealing to someone looking for a project manager or a quality engineer.  If you want to branch out, you may need to focus on how your experience with plastic films can be an asset to a product development team.  It really comes down to what you want to do and how you can best position yourself to do it.  ME degrees are extremely flexible. 

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:21:16 PM »
How about getting an MBA (paid for by employer preferably) then searching for a non-technical position (if that is what you want)? If you don't want to wait that long, get on LinkedIn. I found my current position through LinkedIn (they contacted me). Indeed is also a good place to search.
The good thing is you have a ton of options as a mechanical engineer. With some you may have to start a little lower level though.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »
ME also.

I second the idea of looking into a management track. Lots of Arts majors will try the same track and your Science degree will look impressive by comparison.

If you're not interested in theoretical work, no judgement, just please do not go into the work and just fake it. 

I was in a job where we were managing facility changes around the country for our plants. I was berated for bothering to check things like stress loads, concrete anchors, or weld patterns. All I did was schedule crew, quote parts, and manage deliveries. It felt wrong to claim everything was a custom design when I knew there was no "design" to it. I'm much happier in my current job where I write calculations all day but I would never hire someone to do my former job if they didn't apply the science.

Don't clog up field faking it when everyone would be much better off if you were honest that organization and management would be a much better fit for you.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »
I've applied for everything under the sun and haven't even received a rejection email, much less a call back. Any tips for getting to the interview stage?

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »
I work as a process engineer on the Gulf Coast, and I have found job boards and on-line applications to be a complete waste of time.  You spend all this time changing your resume and cover letter, filling out the application with the same information, answering their stupid diversity EOE questions, and your resume goes into a black hole.

The best and easiest way to get a job is by using your network.  If you don't have one, build one.  You need to attend professional society meetings and events.  Get yourself out there!

On thing you mention is how you don't care for the theoretical work, so I suggest you think about plant work.  You probably have to give some thought relocating, but maybe not. 

I have had very positive experiences working with this recruiter: http://www.ageslp.com/consultant-vickie.html.  She has gotten me and a few friends some really great interviews.  If you are not ready to contact her, I suggest you look at this link: http://www.ageslp.com/docs/newsletter.pdf.  There is a section for MECHANICAL/DESIGN/MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING POSITIONS.  Look at that and see if any of it is what you are looking for. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:41 AM »
you're prime for hiring right now do you have a good linkedin profile? head hunters should be all over you, i'm a EE and i get 4 emails a month minimum from head hunters.  My wife is a Structural who just past the 5 year mark and gets about the same.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »
you're prime for hiring right now do you have a good linkedin profile? head hunters should be all over you, i'm a EE and i get 4 emails a month minimum from head hunters.  My wife is a Structural who just past the 5 year mark and gets about the same.

Any advice for someone getting out of the military in 9 months on a good LinkedIn profile?  I've got mine setup but nothing more than just the day to day e-mails from them.  Would love to get this working for me so I can quit not long after and be free!  Aerospace here so it's like ME... 

Also, anyone else have issues with search function or is it just me?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
The best and easiest way to get a job is by using your network.  If you don't have one, build one.  You need to attend professional society meetings and events.  Get yourself out there!

Attend and do what? This is what I've never understood about "networking".

It's good as far as I know. No contact from head hunters, but I see a lot more jobs for EE's than I do for ME's (like 90% of "engineer" jobs when I search are electrical or software). Perhaps there are simply not very many jobs where I'm at.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:07:13 AM by Philociraptor »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
is your profile setup to say contact me or looking for new opportunites or whatever it is.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
is your profile setup to say contact me or looking for new opportunites or whatever it is.

Is there a option for that or do you mean put that in the Summary section?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
thre is an option i'll try and find it and post how to do it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
i cant find it.  but i know mine is setup as open to new opportunities and my wife's is set to no currently looking b/c when head hunters contact us they mention that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!