Author Topic: Job won't convert me to salaried  (Read 1790 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Job won't convert me to salaried
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »
I'm not sure if I should be upset about this or what. I started a job as a carpentry helper Dec 9. With 30 days probation.  After which I was supposed to convert to salary and get health insurance.  I've been asking when they are going to convert me and they haven't responded. Maybe it's that they think I'm going to quit soon and they shouldn't bother. Unbeknownst to them I have accepted another offer and I am waiting for a start date that could come tomorrow, in a few months or not at all. But I don't see how their perception of me would matter since all employees are at will. Since I've been there another person who was hired has quit.

This also puts me in a bind with health insurance.  I can't get medicaid since I have a job but the job won't offer me their health insurance. Should I quit? Keep showing up? All the staff I work with are really nice to me.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
Re: Job won't convert me to salaried
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:56:41 AM »
 Well their perception matters because you are just coming out of a "probationary" period.
  Don't quit this job, before you begin the other one, since the new one doesn't actually have a start date.

Did you approach the person who set the 30 day conversion date ?
 I work at a place where we get paid bi-weekly - hence a person would be waiting 2 weeks or longer after the conversion date to see this stuff reflected on their pay stub - .  You are barely 5 days out of the probaationary date. I think maybe you are expecting quicker action on their part than is realistic.  Disclaimer, I do not work in HR, but i imagine it takes longer that a day to get someone signed onto their healthcare benefits system.

Stick it out + keep showing up if the staff are nice, it seems like a decent job with relatively quick promotion potential. I bet they go thru a lot of short term employees being a construction firm [ i think ? ].   It isn't their fault you weren't on Medicaid before you started . Ask about the situation once a day, talk to different people if necessary. Holding out for another month to get health insurance shouldn't be a big deal.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »
I took a deep breath.  I was hoping I could become an employee by the 15th so that I could get health insurance starting feb 1. Being that I'm supposed to be using power tools, I'd rather not pay 10k for a trip to the ER.
I was on Medicaid but I now have too much income.
I have approached the person who set the time period. I'll hang in there. My immediate supervisors are all nice and I'm doing cool stuff.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:36:25 AM »
I took a deep breath.  I was hoping I could become an employee by the 15th so that I could get health insurance starting feb 1. Being that I'm supposed to be using power tools, I'd rather not pay 10k for a trip to the ER.
I have approached the person who set the time period. I'll hang in there. My immediate supervisors are all nice and I'm doing cool stuff.

If it makes you feel any better, if you get hurt on the job, that will be workers comp, not your own health insurance.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 06:33:05 AM »
Yes that helps.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:10:28 AM »

If you've lost medicaid coverage that was a qualifying event to be able to sign up for ACA coverage. Double check, but getting workplace coverage should be a qualifying event to drop ACA coverage. Getting a new job certainly would be.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »
I will look into that.