Author Topic: Job Transfer  (Read 2289 times)

Swish

• Stubble
Job Transfer
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
I am looking for some conventional wisdom. Currently there are discussions happening at my work about transfering my role to a City 2 hours away. The pay bump and math generally makes sense to knock 3-4 years off our current plans. The part we are struggling with more is our circle of friends and our kids social circles. It is hard to quantify that. What has your experience been with role changes like this and the impact on family? I have moved before but never with the roots we seem to have now. If you made a choice to turn down a promotion/transfer how much impact did that have on your career progression? My thought is that I would be passed over for future opportunities and am currently maxing out my band.

Thanks!

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
Re: Job Transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
If transferring your role to a new city would result in a significant pay bump, then I think it’s either an expansion of your role (promotion), or else it’s just a locality adjustment as the cost of living is more expensive in the new city. Since you think this move would knock some years off of your path to FI, then I’m assuming it’s an expansion.

In which case, it sounds like you’re capable of a more advanced role that pays more, but you’re only considering this one opportunity that your current company is offering. And unfortunately this one opportunity would require a move that would lose social connections for each member in your family.

Instead of considering this move, can you take this offer as motivation to find a promotion within your current city? Are there any other companies in your current city that are hiring for a similar expanded role?

Or, if your company wants to promote you to this new role, maybe they value your work enough to figure out a way to have you do it without actually moving? Possibly commuting one day a week to the new city but the rest of the time telecommuting?

I’m coming at this from the view that you don’t want to move. But only you can determine that. If your kids are young (in elementary school) then they shouldn’t have much trouble making friends in a new place, so I wouldn’t weight them much in the equation. However, if they are in junior high, then it’s harder, and moving to a new high school is really miserable. For your adult social circle, think about where you originally met your current friends. If most of your social circle is from a group that you won’t have access to in the new place (like if your friends were all from college), then you likely will have a hard time building up a similar social circle. But if all your friends are coworkers, and you’ll be working in a large office in the new city, then you’ll probably make a similar cohort of friends at the new office.

As for how your company reacts to you turning it down, well that depends on your company and how much they value you. If they’re a big corporation and there’s lots of competition for promotions, then yeah, it’ll probably hurt your career progression if you end up staying at the company but not taking the new job. But on the other hand, I have had companies react the opposite way when I’ve turned something down, especially when I’ve turned it down after reaching FI. Basically, if you’re valued, then they actually start to value you more when you turn things down, because they realize that you have options and they start not wanting you to decide those other options are more attractive than their position.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:01:03 AM »
If your children are still young, you might quite easily build up a new circle of friends who are parents to children in the same school class or same sports club. It is usually harder to get in touch with people if you don't have children.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »
Basically, if you’re valued, then they actually start to value you more when you turn things down, because they realize that you have options and they start not wanting you to decide those other options are more attractive than their position.

I never really considered it like this. It would be interesting to see how the respond. The environment is such that there is very little movement for existing roles. Basically someone dies or retires. I don't think it is an issue about valuing me but it would be a good test. Currently I am already going the this City 2-3 days per week.  In an informal discussion my boss indicated that if I was willing to accept a transfer he would create a new role at a higher band for me. It would be about $15k per year and the new band would allow me to grow another $15k above that. Kids are all very young so its good to hear they adjust well. Most of our circle is outside of work and has been built up over the last ten years from various places.

As for opportunities in this community with another company they are few and far between. Lots of lower pay jobs but very few higher paying ones. Most people here once they hit $90ish k per year never leave their roles. I worked 5 years commuting 1 hr each way before this opportunity opened up. Maybe I am just impatient.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
Swish, what are your thoughts on the city that is 2 hours away? Could you see yourselves living, thriving and enjoying it there long term? Outside of your current company, are there decent career opportunities for yourself and your SO? It would be a bummer to move to that city solely for this job and for things not to work out. Perhaps after a few months you don't like the new role, or the company downsizes, or you don't like the office culture. These are all obviously what-if's, but I know I would be disappointed if I moved somewhere that I wasn't entirely fond of solely for a job only to lose that job and be stuck in a less than ideal city.

As far as children coping with making new friends, I wouldn't worry about it — kids are given plenty of opportunities to make friends everyday during school as well as in their neighborhood. With that said, once they're done with High School (Secondary School), there's a good chance they'll likely move on with their lives and make new friends outside of the local community.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
Swish, what are your thoughts on the city that is 2 hours away? Could you see yourselves living, thriving and enjoying it there long term? Outside of your current company, are there decent career opportunities for yourself and your SO?

The City itself is very aesthetically pleasing compared to our current town. It is almost 10x the size and so there is a lot more opportunity there for changing roles. It can be quite a challenge to find a decent pay new role in my current community. To be honest if it was a straight comparison of communities the proposed city wins hands down. The challenge has been purely related to our social circle. In the past DW and I have discussed if we did move this is one of the places on our list.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers. I definitely have been wrestling with this one and how to value the opportunity vs our social circle. It is easy to argue the quantitative benefit. A lot harder to measure the qualitative ones.

Maybe I should just assign a $ value to all my friends ;)

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »

I know you meant it as a joke, but you could actually assign a dollar value to maintaining your level of social interaction with these friends. If you all got together for a weekend once a month, you could definitely assign a dollar amount that it’d cost you from your new town to still attend. But if you were all popping over to each others houses multiple evenings during the week, it’s probably not something that can still be done with just shelling out some extra cash, since it’s 2 hours away.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »

I know you meant it as a joke, but you could actually assign a dollar value to maintaining your level of social interaction with these friends.

lol this is a neat concept. Thanks for all the discussion and input every one. We ended up deciding to stay where we are for now.